Has your opinion of Slash and Duff changed since the NITL tour started?

On 04/02/2020 at 7:23 PM, Towelie said:

I blame Axl and Axl alone for all things wrong with GNR in 2020.

No new music? That's on Axl. Poor vocals? Axl. Endless touring? Axl.

Yes, yes and no. The other guys sign off on the extra dates. Richard, Frank, melissa don't have a say, Slash and Duff do.

Honestly my opinion on them is the same. My opinion on gnr as a whole has changed though. I went from ever so slightly excited after the revolver interview in 2014... they were a much smaller band, but there was still.a chance of them building a catalogue of their own... obviously I was foolish to believe a word that Axl said in regard to new music.

Divorce is expensive, and the reunion is refilling Slash's coffers.

If he stops releasing music, that will change my opinion on him.

Until then I think he is  just making himself whole financially because where else can he earn that kind of money playing music he wrote?

If Axl came to him tomorrow and said let's release music the guy would lock himself in a room until he came out with a GNR album. I will only look at Slash differently if there ever comes a day that wouldn't be true.

23 hours ago, Murielweathers@gmail.com said:

I feel like Steven only has himself to blame. He couldn't straighten himself out and now he is angry because they wouldn't let him play in the sandbox. Izzy stopped caring about Guns and decided he didn't want it anymoreve. I can't trust anything Duff says. I wouldn't even buy his book because I feel like it is full of all these stories and "facts" that he has said over the years. . I noticed Slash has struggled at various concerts. I think they all have. Axl's voice is gone. I'm not saying that it's shit. I'm just saying that it isnt AFD. It isn't that "whoa" moment Duff had when he first heard Axl. He came out of the gate masking, screeching and damaging his voice from the start. There is a photograph of him sitting in front of a vanity and he has an oxygen mask. Hardcore? Yes. Smart? No. Everyone has their signature thing but he took it to far. All his different voices are HOT but it was never going to be sustainable. If he was honestly trying to keep Guns above water why did he not practice daily and consistently work with his vocal coach. It's not like he was taking a break. He was working on Chinese Democracy. It's really sad that he can't pull off the screeches and intros and such. On stage he would walk over to Slash and tell him something. Then Slash would nod and when you expect the screech at the end it's just Slash covering for Axl.

Most singers have oxygen backstage. Stop trying to make up your own story.

He was good out if the gate because he was practicing. He stopped being good because he thought "playing live is like rehearsing" he also has acdc dates. He has also been good on a d off since 2016... admittedly it's mostly on the ok... to bad side.

Izzy cares about gnr, but didn't want to deal with gnr. The new album is a prime example of why he isn't in the band. They couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and we're talking about gnr😄 mess of a band! 

Steven messed up, and it really us too late for him to ever come back in a more fulltime basis, one offs yes! He could easily play all the add songs in the set too... but would you split the money more when someones inclusion (who isn't really a friend anymore) doesn't add any financial gain by being there? Eh no! No, most people wouldn't when it comes down to it.

What was this topic about again?😋

Still a huge fan... but they didn’t push for a full reunion because they have bills. I get it... but they’re no longer beyond reproach.

AFD 5 could have done a Shine A Light style blowout performance in 2016 — Axl still had a voice... it would have been immortal. They passed for easy cash... oh well.

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I still admire them as musicians.  Slash is still the man but I was kind of let down the way the whole reunion went down. I definitely lost a little of great admiration I have had for the both of them over the last 3 decades. 

Slash continues to blow my mind when he is on that stage though.

20 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I remember interviews slash wouldnt want a reunion unless it was with the original 5. But i digress.

NITL has always been about the one person who has this tour on his shoulders and that is slash :slash:

I am a little disappointed that Slash didn't push harder for Izzy and/or Matt, but I guess there's only so much you can do when you're dealing with Axl.

21 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Duff has sunk a lot in my opinion for a multitude of reasons, for not standing firm on Izzy, to the laughable ''punk as fuck'' merchandising. It is still alarming how Rose is now completely happy to be a nostalgia peddler but he has always been the wanker in my eyes so my opinion hasn't much changed, and so long as Slash still finds room for his Conspirators I still can just about see his rational for cashing-in with Guns, although that recent interview was painful reading and bodes ill for the future. 

Yes I forgot about the punk af merch. There was a time (not too long ago) when that was still true but now he just seems like a poser. 

duff was my idol my favorite character of sorts now he's my least favorite member cause he's a hypocriite by throwing izzy under the bus - spineless as slash once said 

slash is cooler than i thought cause hes doing it all, its all on him hes carrying the whole fucking thing by himself, but as someone else mentioned hes half the player he once was anyone can look back at his classic videos and watch him surpass the likes of jimmy page on live songs like nighttrain, coma, lcomotive or DTJM but you will never see the same with the shitty band that they have now he's just clocking in clocking out while axl is becoming more and more of a spectacle 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 1

I don't know... I wasn't old enough to be a fan of the old Guns, so I always thought Slash and Duff were more grounded, punk-ish musicians than Axl. I was always curious what they had to say and I read a lot of their interviews and whatnot.

But now when you've seen the video of Duff yacht shopping and read about Guns hiring models to stand in the front row during shows, I've realized that they are millionaire rockstars that I have nothing in common with.

So my illusion of them being this dangerous rockband has vanished. They are more of theater act at this point. And it's all good, they've earned that place in their careers and their money with hard work.

And now I get to just enjoy the music without concentrating who they are as persons. It's great. Should've understood that years ago.

Tl;dr: Yes, I guess.

• Like 2

Not really. However, it’s quite clear that there is more focus on touring and generally the money side of things rather than making new music these days, which is partially understandable, but only to a certain degree.

Anyway, unlike many others, I believe in Slash’s and Duff’s "authority" in the band. Some people think it’s like it used to be in the 90s, with Axl solely at the helm and the rest just subjected to his whims. But the guys wouldn’t return to the band if that was the case. Sure, the money is grand, but still (they would have continued making money even without him while doing solo, albeit less ofc). Just the fact he’s always on time speaks for itself (although that’s mainly due to the fact that our times are different, and he wouldn’t get away with the same stuff he did 30 years ago).

So in general, I think there’s quite some equality as to decision-making, although Axl will always be the boss with the last word undoubtedly. And indeed, they seem to be fine with taking a slow pace. There is not as much to prove as it was before the UYI tour.

11 hours ago, Naupis said:

If Axl came to him tomorrow and said let's release music the guy would lock himself in a room until he came out with a GNR album. I will only look at Slash differently if there ever comes a day that wouldn't be true.

No, I don't think Slash could lock himself in a room for a long time to record an album, and if he did, it would drive him crazy. Slash wants to get things done in the studio quickly and then go on tour. He writes on the road and the actual recording in the studio takes a short time. 

21 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Not really. However, it’s quite clear that there is more focus on touring and generally the money side of things rather than making new music these days, which is partially understandable, but only to a certain degree.

Anyway, unlike many others, I believe in Slash’s and Duff’s "authority" in the band. Some people think it’s like it used to be in the 90s, with Axl solely at the helm and the rest just subjected to his whims. But the guys wouldn’t return to the band if that was the case. Sure, the money is grand, but still (they would have continued making money even without him while doing solo, albeit less ofc). Just the fact he’s always on time speaks for itself (although that’s mainly due to the fact that our times are different, and he wouldn’t get away with the same stuff he did 30 years ago).

So in general, I think there’s quite some equality as to decision-making, although Axl will always be the boss with the last word undoubtedly. And indeed, they seem to be fine with taking a slow pace. There is not as much to prove as it was before the UYI tour.

It wasn't the case even in the 90s, at least as far as Slash goes and until 1994. Slash handled a lot of the band business and Axl didn't make decisions without asking for his consent first. What happened was that Slash (and Duff) would give consent (like "yeah, whatever") and on stuff he wouldn't do if he was the one solely calling the shots, like the videos, for example, to keep the band moving. It wasn't like that about everything, though; there were things where Slash's and Axl's agreement was genuine. Until 1994, where Slash decided that he wouldn't compromise with Axl's wishes and pace any more.

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

No, I don't think Slash could lock himself in a room for a long time to record an album, and if he did, it would drive him crazy. Slash wants to get things done in the studio quickly and then go on tour. He writes on the road and the actual recording in the studio takes a short time. 

It wasn't the case even in the 90s, at least as far as Slash goes and until 1994. Slash handled a lot of the band business and Axl didn't make decisions without asking for his consent first. What happened was that Slash (and Duff) would give consent (like "yeah, whatever") and on stuff he wouldn't do if he was the one solely calling the shots, like the videos, for example, to keep the band moving. It wasn't like that about everything, though; there were things where Slash's and Axl's agreement was genuine. Until 1994, where Slash decided that he wouldn't compromise with Axl's wishes and pace any more.

Yes, I have simplified it a bit, mainly thinking of the deterioration during UYI and Axl's gradual drift away from the guys, so as to point out the difference between today and whatever their internal relations were in the 90s. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

I got a total disdain for Duff as I started to follow him again when he got back in the fold. The guy absolutely grew a pussy.

I have no opinion on Slash really, I still like him for what he does outside GNR, I still like his instrumental tracks aside the total dislike for Myles voice. Id totally buy inatrumental versions of his SMKC albuns.

• Haha 1

I wasn't following Duff really, before he got back into GNR. So I love him more now. Love him on stage, loved him when I met him and I love his album and loved his solo show.

Slash is as much of a badass as he's always been. They both make me happy on stage.

Their business decisions are none of my business. I can't pretend to know better and it doesn't affect my life as it obviously does theirs. I'll live my life and let them decide on theirs.

• Like 2

No, I can't say my opinion has changed much. I got respect for them for apparently eagerly play stuff from Chinese Democracy, and Slash did add some nice touches here and there. I am a bit disappointment with him reverting to noodling so frequently now. I haven't really followed his solo career so I am kind of comparing him to back when he was in GN'R, and I feel he was better then. But that's age, I guess! It is not his fault for being over his prime, blaming it on him would be unfair of me. They are back and they seem to be doing a good job. As far as their personalities go, they seem to have matured and acquired a more healthy outlook on life. But that is also as expected. So no, my opinion hasn't really changed.