Has your opinion of Slash and Duff changed since the NITL tour started?

Don't know about Slash. His playing became pretty soulless in the last couple of years. It's missing taste and style and that was exactly what made his magic.

Plus, stuff like that interview about releasing music...I thought he would be more than another of Axl's guitarists.

I don't know, they all kinda suck at this point. :D

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Plus, stuff like that interview about releasing music...I thought he would be more than another of Axl's guitarists.

But that hasn't changed? Slash has always talked about the band's work on new music, even when nothing came out of it (like in 1993-1996). The subtext here is that although the band might be working on new music no one knows whether it will ever see the light of day (because of Axl). We barely got Use Your Illusions although that was like pulling fucking teeth but we never got the follow-up which they worked on from 1993 and onwards. And we might get a new record now. I mean, this is just like it has always been and Slash has always talked about these things. I don't see how he has changed in that regard. The difference is whether we put more trust in what Slash says than Richard. 

26 minutes ago, Lio said:

Met him walking the street near checkpoint charlie  the day after the Berlin show. I was super nervous, but he was really nice. Told us they were all jetlagged. Asked us where we were from, I told him we'd see a few more shows and thanked him. We took a pic afterwards. 

He also saved me from walking right in front of a car crossing the street :facepalm:

So in a way he saved my life. :lol: So since that day Duff can't do any wrong anymore :wub:

How nice story!!:headbang:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lio said:

Met him walking the street near checkpoint charlie  the day after the Berlin show. I was super nervous, but he was really nice. Told us they were all jetlagged. Asked us where we were from, I told him we'd see a few more shows and thanked him. We took a pic afterwards. 

He also saved me from walking right in front of a car crossing the street :facepalm:

So in a way he saved my life. :lol: So since that day Duff can't do any wrong anymore :wub:

That's a cool story. I met Slash & Duff back in 04. Duff was especially sweet to my brother who was having a near panic attack due to meeting them. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

That's a cool story. I met Slash & Duff back in 04. Duff was especially sweet to my brother who was having a near panic attack due to meeting them. 

haha sorry I shouldn't  laugh, but :lol: I can imagine his reaction   :lol:

1 hour ago, Lio said:

wonderful story :wub:

• Like 1

My brother met Duff in the Cancun airport in 2010 - he was very friendly. He spotted him and nobody else did. He was with his wife who seemed flattered by my brother telling him that GNR was the best and that he had alll their T-shirts. Duff was super cool and posed for a photo. He even did a blog about his time in Cancun thereafter and getting offered blow by the taxi driver 

What's to say? They're in it for the money. Only in 2015 did all parties come to an agreement about some things.

They do it for themselves, and probably kicked themselves hard after recession hit their line of work. You don't carry your own PA in Guns, right?

• Like 1

I think duff is essentially a good guy, but my god the dribble he cane out with during that Metoo time really made him look like a prat. I lost a lot of respect for him after that. And look, I get it, he’s a father of 2 girls now and so I’m sure he’s had to readjust his thinking but he was trying to re-write history with some of his comments. 
I love the music and the old band, the UYI era shaped my teenage years and no version of GNR will ever be as cool as the big three during that era in my eyes. 
I have said this a million times, and I’ll say it again. 
my biggest gripe with these 3 isn’t the fact that new music hasn’t been released. It’s just the simple fact that they don’t keep their fans actively informed of what the deal is. Telling the truth and being up front has never been a strong point for any of them. 
to this day, I will never understand why they operate the way they do. It’s pretty shit to say the least. But no... it’s nothing new so I guess things are the same as they ever were. 

• Like 1

Never had no opinion of em as people, I don't really think you can get much worthy of constructing a substantial opinion of someone based on interviews and print.  Or even biographies.  I mean these things are exercises in controlled PR, though I agree some people struggle to conceal their cuntyness even in such circumstances.  I don't think there's a lot to Slash and Duff to form an opinion over as people, from what little one can glean from interviews and print.

As for the NITL tour, look, why would they not get GnR back together, or some semblence anyway, fans wanted it, their bank balances wanted it.  Imagine you're them, you got a choice, you ain't really in bands that are doing shit right now, you got a choice to get back together with Axl, make a lot of fans happy, probably not release any music under the guns banner and make a fuckload of money...why would you not do it?  You can always do your little solo bits and pieces on the side that you were doing if you're that fuckin' attached to it.  Its a no brainer, why would it change my opinion of em? 

• Like 1

My view on them has improved if anything. Great attitude about the Chinese material, and an understanding that regardless if “new music” ever comes out- it brings joy to millions of people across the globe that they’re out there whenever Guns takes the stage. Well compensated? Most definitely- but they deserve credit (IMHO) for checking a lot of ego at the door too...

Slash is going through the motions and noodling more than ever, total opposite of what I loved about his playing. But I'm willing to cut him some slack for a divorce can be even more depressing than touring with Axl Rose. Duff was never a virtuoso, but he seemed kinda cool when he played alongside Matt and Steven. His chemistry is gone now with the click drums and whenever he opens his mouth all I think is he should hang out with Jerry Cantrell more.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tadsy said:

I think duff is essentially a good guy, but my god the dribble he cane out with during that Metoo time really made him look like a prat. I lost a lot of respect for him after that. And look, I get it, he’s a father of 2 girls now and so I’m sure he’s had to readjust his thinking but he was trying to re-write history with some of his comments. 
I love the music and the old band, the UYI era shaped my teenage years and no version of GNR will ever be as cool as the big three during that era in my eyes. 
I have said this a million times, and I’ll say it again. 
my biggest gripe with these 3 isn’t the fact that new music hasn’t been released. It’s just the simple fact that they don’t keep their fans actively informed of what the deal is. Telling the truth and being up front has never been a strong point for any of them. 
to this day, I will never understand why they operate the way they do. It’s pretty shit to say the least. But no... it’s nothing new so I guess things are the same as they ever were. 

100% agree with all of this.

6 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Talking specifically about melody, has he really, objectively done anything as immediate, powerful, transcendent and memorable as Estranged, November etc? 

Objectively opinion? Really?

Ok then...

Yes he has. More then once or twice.

Were those melodies packed in such great songs? Probably not. 

But Slash proofed enough times that he hasn't lost creativity... or that he's able to do HIS job when others do their's. 

52 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Objectively opinion? Really?

Ok then...

Yes he has. More then once or twice.

Were those melodies packed in such great songs? Probably not. 

But Slash proofed enough times that he hasn't lost creativity... or that he's able to do HIS job when others do their's. 

Point me to a solo that I should revisit that's Estranged, November, Give In To Me level. 

• Like 3

I used to respect Duff.  Now I do not.

Slash, on the other hand, is a monster on stage and a true guitar hero.  I still respect his abilities but no longer respect his integrity or his hair.

Does that answer your question?

• Thanks 1

They saw an opportunity to make tons of money with the band that made them famous and the songs they helped create, I don't think there is inherently anything wrong with that.  I am frustrated no new material has surfaced in the 4 years since they came back to the stage together, however my opinion of Duff and Slash as musicians and as human beings have not changed

On 2/6/2020 at 5:14 AM, El Guapo said:

Don't know about Slash. His playing became pretty soulless in the last couple of years. It's missing taste and style and that was exactly what made his magic.

I don't know, they all kinda suck at this point. :D

It's definitely not as emotive.

But why??

Is it really as stupid a reason as being sober? I know there's an inspiration angle... but I mean he isn't Tokyo Slash w/ SMKC, either. I don't like age as an explanation because he doesn't seem physically limited in any way. 

Maybe it's low T. We gotta get Slash some HRT for the next tour leg. 

Edited by Ant