Rolling Stone rip into GNR for announcing the 14th leg of the reunion tour

1 hour ago, Higson95 said:

The stage lighting, videos and fireworks are all set to a timer and the drummer has to play to a click track to make sure it’s timed right, the stage show is too organised to swap around 

That's not true. As long as the band decide before they go on stage what the set will be, it's irrelevant.

There's also, within limits, the ability to switch things around mid-gig- and there are plenty of examples of them doing this during previous tours. I have a bootleg (I forget the show) recorded from the mixing desk where you can hear the crew talking and making comments such as "oh, they've switched around, we need to go to the fireworks now" etc. 

There's countless examples of bands who change their set often on tours, operating with far more 'theatrics' than GNR. Metallica being one that instantly springs to mind. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I don't know about others, but probably for the first time in my life as a GNR fan I'm just getting bored now. I can't imagine how how the band must feel, playing the same songs all the time- it must take its toll on them. Regardless of what fans want, you'd think they'd want to switch things about just for their own sanity. 

I'm bored too. At this point I'm just waiting around for SMKC to come back around.

13 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I've thought about that too. I cannot believe that Axl isn't bored to tears playing the same songs in nearly the same order for decades. 

Maybe that's why they have the same set, so Axl can remember it :lol:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, allwaystired said:

That's not true. As long as the band decide before they go on stage what the set will be, it's irrelevant.

There's also, within limits, the ability to switch things around mid-gig- and there are plenty of examples of them doing this during previous tours. I have a bootleg (I forget the show) recorded from the mixing desk where you can hear the crew talking and making comments such as "oh, they've switched around, we need to go to the fireworks now" etc. 

There's countless examples of bands who change their set often on tours, operating with far more 'theatrics' than GNR. Metallica being one that instantly springs to mind. 

Or, like a Foo Fighters show I went to a few years ago where they had a 4 song interlude during the set where there were no theatrics, just houselights. That was probably the point in the show where they could play whatever the hell they wanted without having to worry to sync things up to a running theatrical show.

20 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Or, like a Foo Fighters show I went to a few years ago where they had a 4 song interlude during the set where there were no theatrics, just houselights. That was probably the point in the show where they could play whatever the hell they wanted without having to worry to sync things up to a running theatrical show.

That's a great idea!! Which means they won't do that!! 

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

When you’re being paid the amount of money Axl is I’m sure being bored through a few songs is worth the sacrifice for him.

Yeah but how bored would you feel.. you eould be singing onstage and im sure axl thinks "another show this is boring" while slash and duff are cringing listening to axls voice in their ear monitors.

Edited by Sydney Fan

4 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Yeah but how bored would you feel.. you eould be singing onstage and im sure axl thinks "another show this is boring" while slash and duff are cringing listening to axls voice in their ear monitors.

Maybe they should do to Axl like they did to Izzy and just turn him off. Wonder if anyone would notice?😄

Edited by lame ass security
  • Haha 1

On 2/4/2020 at 2:40 PM, Coma16 said:

I didn't read it but that's terrible of RS. They should be ripping into the ticket buyers for supporting it. GNR are just catering to the demand.

I will openly admit I overpaid for my ticket.  Knowing that I'm going to hear It's So Easy followed by Brownstone followed by Chinese Democracy followed by WTTJ followed by DTJ yet again doesn't exactly excite me.  Frankly the only reason I bought the ticket is because 1) I couldn't believe face value pit tix were available in the general onsale and 2) I can afford it and not regret it.  I am absolutely part of the problem though.  

• GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, WAR41 said:

I will openly admit I overpaid for my ticket.  Knowing that I'm going to hear It's So Easy followed by Brownstone followed by Chinese Democracy followed by WTTJ followed by DTJ yet again doesn't exactly excite me.  Frankly the only reason I bought the ticket is because 1) I couldn't believe face value pit tix were available in the general onsale and 2) I can afford it and not regret it.  I am absolutely part of the problem though.  

Avoid the setlists and you might just get a surprise. But someone will probably tell you the set order when walking in to the stadium 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, WAR41 said:

I overpaid for my ticket but I don't care. I got a good seat and it will be a good time.  They have added 5 songs since my last show and my night would be made to see them all. SOYL, Slither, Dead Horse, You're Crazy and Locomotive! I could care less if they played music. New music from Axl in 2020 will most likely be terrible. 

• Like 1

Snagged my tickets for the Minneapolis show last week, so I decided to pop on and peruse good ole MYGNRFORUM to see what else may be going on.   I haven't visited the "other" forum since CD was released because I was not a fan of it being propaganda for the band.  But still,  I missed the memo that it's now cool again to hate on the band.   I would prefer new music as well, but I am going to enjoy the show anyway.   I was too young to see the band back in the heyday, saw faux GNR 9 times, and now this version will be the 5th time.  Count me in as a small part of the blame me for more touring!!   Fuck you GNR! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, WAR41 said:

Nah man, just enjoy it.  I wish this was the only "problem" any of us had to worry about.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2020 at 6:50 AM, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

Honestly, don’t see this fazing them at all. At worst they’ll just become a punchline as a modern-day KISS endlessly touring the classics (though even KISS has 2 studio albums out since Chinese). Not the best rep- but you can weather it and still do good/great business...

KISS went to every single town imaginable on their 96/97 reunion tour and then acted shocked when no one cared when they went on tour the very next year, so fair comparison. They should have disappeared and released Psycho Circus in 1999/2000.

Didn't want to make another thread for the same topic, but here's another call out on GNR for relying on their legacy songs, and not having released new material in almost 12yrs. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/articles/features/top_7_bands_who_successfully_tour_despite_having_no_new_music-103271 

Rage and System are the only two other bands in similar categories, the rest of the bands on the list at least have a healthy back catalogue to rotate, and for fans to enjoy. Queen for example, purely nostalgia but they deliver every night and they shake it up on each leg adding and taking taking songs out, and doing interesting things with their stage set. The stuff that GNR should have done, but as the touring continues and continues it's really hard to see where they would get the time to do pre-production on anything remotely different to the NITL show.

On 2/4/2020 at 8:35 PM, Towelie said:

Spot on. Anybody still going to these moneygrabbing shitshows just to see fat Axl Mickey his way through hits n' covers while Slash noodles through them like he simply couldn't care less is certifiably insane. The fact that they still play long shows is pretty much the only redeeming quality these tours have left. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, username said:

Spot on. Anybody still going to these moneygrabbing shitshows just to see fat Axl Mickey his way through hits n' covers while Slash noodles through them like he simply couldn't care less is certifiably insane. The fact that they still play long shows is pretty much the only redeeming quality these tours have left. 

Oh, come off it already. A lot of people are still enjoying the shows, if you don't then that's fine, but don't make a fuss over the fact that a lot of people do still care.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Oh, come off it already. A lot of people are still enjoying the shows, if you don't then that's fine, but don't make a fuss over the fact that a lot of people do still care.

100%

But, there are those that refuse to acknowledge any of the shittiness of the bands last 9 years and they are certifiably insane. 

Just now, Tom2112 said:

100%

But, there are those that refuse to acknowledge any of the shittiness of the bands last 9 years and they are certifiably insane. 

And that's valid... I don't like a lot of things regarding this band either. But what's the point in repeatedly making the same complaint on here? We get it already. Go find something to talk about that you do like!

Just now, EvanG said:

And that's valid... I don't like a lot of things regarding this band either. But what's the point in repeatedly making the same complaint on here? We get it already. Go find something to talk about that you do like!

Yep, plus like a lot pf people have said! there's a lot of new music from other bands to enjoy! Dirty honey for example, young fiery Aerosmith meets AC/DC with a modern edge! I like it! GnR can piss about for however long they want, I'm not waiting, but if something comes out I'll listen to it!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PirateRadio said:

I had a code to buy tix for the recent Palladium show, where I’ve seen them before. I passed, and went to the LA County Fair instead. And based on what I read about it and saw on YouTube, I made the correct decision. How sad is that for a fan of 30 years..?!

I had a similar situation - I decided that splurging on Tool tickets around the time of the show and saving my money for different bands was more worth it to me than the same old show

I pulled the trigger on cheap nosebeelds for the LA show this tour though because it isn't a big commitment and a much less crazy price for a band that I am not as excited about right now

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 12:11 PM, WAR41 said:

Same exact scenario played out for me...swore I would go and then got pit for face and couldn’t pass it up. 

• Like 1