Meltdown (WRIF) Top 3 GNR Songs

Twat is the one song that’s better on the final cd version than on 2000 intentions, simply because of buckethead’s solo. The one thing thing that does suck about the cd version though is the distorted rhythm guitar parts that were dubbed over the prior mix that drowned out The beautiful orchestral arrangement and acoustic guitar.

33 minutes ago, Estrangedfx said:

@RussTCB, I don't think anybody asked about your friend. When/where/how did he score an interview with Axl in 2002?? Is it available anywhere?

It definitely should be on the WRIF website for sure. I don't know a ton about it but I know it was in 2002, via phone. 

Poke around on the WRIF site and see if you can find it. If not, tag me again tomorrow and I'll get a link from him that I can post here. 

1 hour ago, Estrangedfx said:

@RussTCB, I don't think anybody asked about your friend. When/where/how did he score an interview with Axl in 2002?? Is it available anywhere?

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

It definitely should be on the WRIF website for sure. I don't know a ton about it but I know it was in 2002, via phone. 

Poke around on the WRIF site and see if you can find it. If not, tag me again tomorrow and I'll get a link from him that I can post here. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Awesome. Thanks!! Yeah, I remember this interview. The part about Axl being denied entrance into the VMA'S"s area in 2002, running down the street as someone shouts out "Hey, it's Kid Rock!". Haha. Priceless. Axl sounded like he had a good sense of humour about it, considering something like that 10 years earlier would have pissed him off probably to the point of calling off the performance all together.

This was/is a great interview. @RussTCB, your friend got in some really good questions, he's very likeable. I can see why Axl was so open with him. Funny that he mentions the 5 topics not to bring up during the interview, but Axl himself brings them up on his own, pissing off the record label, apparently. 

I don't know why, perhaps because everything was so shrouded in mystery and bogus rumors, but with excitement of new material being played, etc, but I absolutely love the 2001-2007 era of this band. 2010 was peak Axl/vocal wise, as well. 

Edited by Estrangedfx
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, UcudBmine said:

TWAT has a great solo, but I can't dig the clean vocals and what they did with the intro. Same goes with Catcher, I loved the raspy live versions in 2009 and 2010 but can't get myself to listen to the album version.

If you look around, I think Evader (was it Evader?) made an edit of Catcher with more rasp.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

3. Sorry (shout out to Carroll/Mantia/Scaturro)

By the way, what did Scaturro write for this song? Seems to me that the demo was almost finished. The only significant parts added later IMO were Robin's acoustic guitar and Brain's drum fills in the ending.

On 12/02/2020 at 10:55 PM, YourMother'sDruthers said:

Twat is the one song that’s better on the final cd version than on 2000 intentions, simply because of buckethead’s solo. The one thing thing that does suck about the cd version though is the distorted rhythm guitar parts that were dubbed over the prior mix that drowned out The beautiful orchestral arrangement and acoustic guitar.

I'm pretty ok with the overddubed Bumblefoot's guitar there, but I agree that that wasn't necessary. 

The song really needed a better mix, though. Tommy's bass lines in the "chorus" are awesome, and in the Bucket's solo too. And Brain's drums sound kinda weak.

14 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

By the way, what did Scaturro write for this song? Seems to me that the demo was almost finished. The only significant parts added later IMO were Robin's acoustic guitar and Brain's drum fills in the ending.

Good question. Honestly don’t know. Axl n’ Paul were pretty obsessive with the credits apparently- so since Scaturro’s credited- I tip my cap to him. I friggin’ love “Sorry” BTW. Could easily fit onto the Illusions or a Best Of... collection and stand up just fine IMHO. Floydian/Classic Guns vibe...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChineseDemocracy said:

Meltdown is an arrogant tool... The guy thinks he is a rockstar, walks around with a posse, too cool for school. The guy is just a 5'4'' radio DJ in a decently sized city. Hes not even the best DJ on his own station. Screamin Scott should be doing these interviews.

I've heard that opinion of him. For the record, I've never seen him with "a posse" but then again it's usually just him and I meeting up for concerts or occasionally he'll stop by my Friday night music spins. 

On 15/02/2020 at 12:52 AM, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

Good question. Honestly don’t know. Axl n’ Paul were pretty obsessive with the credits apparently- so since Scaturro’s credited- I tip my cap to him. I friggin’ love “Sorry” BTW. Could easily fit onto the Illusions or a Best Of... collection and stand up just fine IMHO. Floydian/Classic Guns vibe...

Maybe that demo already had Scaturro's input.

• Like 1