Travelling thread

Dangelus

Me and my wife after years of saving have finally been able to afford a house and so we now have the opportunity and free cash to travel and see a bit of the world. Was hoping to get recommendations for travel destinations, holidays you’ve been on, stories, pictures etc! We live in the UK.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Congratulations Dangelus, that's amazing. Saving for a house deposit is so hard. All I want to do is see the world but we're stuck saving. 

I've travelled around Europe and while it's horses for courses, I'd recommend seeing Venice before it's too late. Don't rely on Google maps there, the pathways are often too narrow for it to be useful. 

While I had a lovely time in Florida, I could definitely see why Americans love Europe so much. 

This year it looks like I might get to go to a wedding in Madrid. I also want to organise a working holiday somewhere, but that could be a lofty ambition for now. 

Enjoy your trips, wherever you go! 

8 hours ago, Dangelus said:

Me and my wife after years of saving have finally been able to afford a house and so we now have the opportunity and free cash to travel and see a bit of the world. Was hoping to get recommendations for travel destinations, holidays you’ve been on, stories, pictures etc! We live in the UK.

Awesome. For Europe I'd recommend Rome, Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia, Malaga, Prague. 

It depends what you like. I did the Inca Trail in Peru. It was a fantastic experience and not too tough. Lima and Cusco were really nice too. 

For USA NYC, Chicago, San Diego are my favourites and the Grand Canyon/Vegas combo is a must see. 

I enjoyed Hong Kong but maybe not a place to visit at the moment incase it kicks off. And I didn't enjoy Australia 

• Wow 1

My brother is going to Greece in August. He and his friend Marco are doing yoga classes in a very cool hotel. They are getting their hotel rooms for free as long as they bring in ten students. So far they have 6 people signed up. So cool for him.

13 minutes ago, WildStar said:

Awesome. For Europe I'd recommend Rome, Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia, Malaga, Prague. 

It depends what you like. I did the Inca Trail in Peru. It was a fantastic experience and not too tough. Lima and Cusco were really nice too. 

For USA NYC, Chicago, San Diego are my favourites and the Grand Canyon/Vegas combo is a must see. 

I enjoyed Hong Kong but maybe not a place to visit at the moment incase it kicks off. And I didn't enjoy Australia 

So cool you got to travel all over the world. I always wanted to go to Europe. Just never happened.

I would add NYC to your US tour. There's no other city like New York for the best food and night life!

20 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

My brother is going to Greece in August. He and his friend Marco are doing yoga classes in a very cool hotel. They are getting their hotel rooms for free as long as they bring in ten students.

They're not going with Phillip Schofield are they? :lol: 

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

My brother is going to Greece in August. He and his friend Marco are doing yoga classes in a very cool hotel. They are getting their hotel rooms for free as long as they bring in ten students. So far they have 6 people signed up. So cool for him.

So cool you got to travel all over the world. I always wanted to go to Europe. Just never happened.

I would add NYC to your US tour. There's no other city like New York for the best food and night life!

Yes lots of cool bars in NYC. East Village is great. I didn't like NYC the first time I went but grew to love it the more I went 

12 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Lords?  What, like the cricket ground?  That ain't abroad.

You can travel in your own country, can't you? Some of my best trips have involved travelling in the United Kingdom.

PS

Apostrophe in Lord's olde boy. Lord's in the possessive case, short for (Thomas) Lord's Cricket ground. Lord's without the apostrophe merely makes you look like a pleb.

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

You can travel in your own country, can't you? Some of my best trips have involved travelling in the United Kingdom.

PS

Apostrophe in Lord's olde boy. Lord's in the possessive case, short for (Thomas) Lord's Cricket ground. Lord's without the apostrophe merely makes you look like a pleb.

Well I shouldn't like to decieve :lol:  What are good places to visit round here then?  Now I think about it I ain't even really gone that many places in England.

Edited by Len Cnut

I have only been to London and Canterbury. I travelled from London to Edinburgh once by bus, but that was in the night so I can't say I got to see a lot of your beloved England. I've always wanted to go to Liverpool, though, don't know if it's worth it. Maybe Manchester too.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Well I shouldn't like to decieve :lol:  What are good places to visit round here then?  Now I think about it I ain't even really gone that many places in England.

Down south, Cheltenham, Worcester, Arundel. 'Oop north, Lake District. Moving further north, York of course once you wade through the tourists. Yorkshire Dales. Where I live specifically we have castle towns like Alnwick and Bamburgh. Durham (I think Bill Bryson called it his favourite city in England or something or other). Amble is nice also.

And then you have the Scottish highlands.

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

I have only been to London and Canterbury. I travelled from London to Edinburgh once by bus, but that was in the night so I can't say I got to see a lot of your beloved England. I've always wanted to go to Liverpool, though, don't know if it's worth it. Maybe Manchester too.

Liverpool for nursing historic grievances and Manchester for bumming.

PS

Thinking about it, London to Edinburgh, you literally traveled between one uber remainiac city, to another remaniac city, sailing through the dead of night through our Brexit heartlands, the Midlands and North East. Was this intended?

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Haha 1