Ex-Guns N' Roses Manager Has Theory About Why There Aren't More GNR Albums

59 minutes ago, registra said:

Wanted to respond to your post on the New Album thread, but most discussions happening here so I'll just paste your comment over.

Judging from the "Big 3's" last efforts (CD, Tenderness and Living The Dream) it looks like they could really use some songwriting collaborations with Izzy because that was a lot of subpar music from these guys.

Think it's a bit of an unfair comparison. Regardless of what I think of the Big 3 most recent outputs(didn't like Tenderness, don't like Myles signing so didn't listen to LTD), your judging the "Big Three" on their most recent albums. What are you judging Izzy based on? He hasn't released on album(from what I could find) in 10 years. The vast vast majority of artist's quality of output goes down the longer they've been around, so it's fairly expected for the Big 3's most recent stuff to not be up to the standard of what came before. It's very possible that if Izzy released an album today it would be just as bad as what the others are releasing.

As for others saying they can't write without Izzy, there's plenty of stuff out there to prove otherwise. I haven't listened to most of Slash's stuff, but It's 5 o'Clock Somewhere alone proves to me fairly convincingly that Slash doesn't need Izzy to write a good album. Think it's more likely that the Slash is just past his prime, cause in his prime he was releasing great stuff without Izzy. I like CD anyway, but heard enough in the leaks to completely convince me that Axl doesn't need Izzy to write a good album worth of material either. Just cause the most recent albums aren't the best in your eyes, doesn't mean it has anything to do with Izzy. Most artist has down points-trying to claim that their down points are simply cause Izzy isn't there is fairly ridiculous.

Edit: Just as an edit, I'm not saying any potential new material from GNR will be good, they could all be past prime in terms of songwriting. But there's nothing to say that Izzy being in the project would make the album substantially better. For all we know he could be past his prime too.

Some valid points.. They are all getting farther past their prime by the minute. Who knows if Izzy is but he adds some simplicity to the whole process. He seems to be the type that can spit out music in his sleep without overthinking it all which would be half the battle.  Some of the best Guns tunes weren't complicated compositions. They were basic songs at the core that the other 4 added to which made them great.  If Izzy was involved I could see him spitting out 20 song ideas that the guys could pick from. Slash and Izzy's guitar chemistry is unmatched so just having that combo alone would be something awesome.  Slash's leads seem to excel ad are perfectly layered over Izzy's rhythm and riffs.  Throw in Izzy and Duff's backing vocals and you are one step closer.  Izzy could also sing a couple songs which would require less waiting around for Axl.. He would probably sound better at this point anyway.  

As someone said in another thread, Axl's voice just isn't appealing anymore. It would have to be so doctored up in the studio to even make it palatable. What is the point in that? He won't be able to reproduce any of it live.  What a waste....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again- Axl Rose is the sole reason this band has not released anything post-2008. You can argue that Slash/Duff/Matt leaving and the revolving door of band members/management played a hand in the delay of Chinese but after 2008, it's all on Axl. The '09-'14 lineup likely had material to work with and probably wrote some of their own stuff as well.

It has all been on Axl since the demise in 1993.  It has always amazed me how people tirelessly stuck up for this guy through the years. Slash, Duff, Matt and Izzy all left because of him back in the day so it was all on  him from the time Izzy walked out the door 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

6 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

It has all been on Axl since the demise in 1993.  It has always amazed me how people tirelessly stuck up for this guy through the years. Slash, Duff, Matt and Izzy all left because of him back in the day so it was all on  him from the time Izzy walked out the door 

Yeah, I agree. Also, i almost wonder if they’re purposefully avoiding a new album cause they’re afraid it’ll get too personal again and lead to them breaking up again, like it did in 1996-1997. That’d be a lot of future tour money down the drain... Again...

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, soon said:

Its evident that they cant write without Izzy.

I  would like to raise you a There Was A Time,  Better, TIL and Madagascar 

2 hours ago, action said:

chinese democracy had no heart whatsoever. it was a disjointed mess. izzy's worst written song still has more heart than any song on chinese

117° sounds like something the stones at their prime would have released, and it would have been regarded as a classic

FP Money soulful? 

Edited by Gibsonfender2323

23 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah, I agree. Also, i almost wonder if they’re purposefully avoiding a new album cause they’re afraid it’ll get too personal again and lead to them breaking up again, like it did in 1996-1997. That’d be a lot of future tour money down the drain... Again...

I understand that. What I don't understand is why they can't give us a clear yes or no answer when it comes to the album. If they never make a new album is not the end of the world for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t want this to sound belittling to Izzy but I can’t say his output has been that great as a solo artist. Certainly no better overall than any of the others. IMO, this is just a crystal clear case of all four ‘main players’ working best together as opposed to apart.

I agree. Izzy writes a lot of songs, songs that are easy to play and easy to put ideas o er the top. If he was in the band they'd have 10 more 14yrs and dust n bones songs. 

Izzy is however, one piece of the puzzle. All the members together make the sound you loved. 

I'm happy Heston anybody's material that comes from under the gnr name... it has to be good though. And I very much include CD in the good category.

Edited by Tom2112

28 minutes ago, Padme said:

I understand that. What I don't understand is why they can't give us a clear yes or no answer when it comes to the album. If they never make a new album is not the end of the world for me.

Yeah I agree. They should just come out and admit that new music isn’t in the current plan. Give us closure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soon said:

Its evident that they cant write without Izzy. But would Izzys presence and songs be enough to get Axl and Slash to step up to the high standards that they once contributed to Izzys material?

I think the simplicity of Izzy’s songs at heart bring out that level in Slash’s playing and in Axls melodies. His songs were foundations to build off. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yeah. Superduper theory and all. But please keep in mind that they're recorded TONS more than they released. They just can't seem to get it out. For....reasons. Let's not all pretend all these songs just don't exist. 

Edited by username

This probably has some merit to it, however, the best Illusions song Axl wrote is "Right Next Door To Hell", so in my opinion, he just needs to start throwing wine bottles at bitchy neighbors again and we'll have some classics before we know it.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

Fuck Izzy Stradlin. The most boring original member. All of the solo stuff of his sucks balls. You people bragging over him all the time makes me nauseous. 

Everyone has different views of all the members solo stuff.. That aside... are you saying you don't like any of his contributions to Guns N' Roses? Because that would be laughable...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

Fuck Izzy Stradlin. The most boring original member. All of the solo stuff of his sucks balls. You people bragging over him all the time makes me nauseous. 

I mean to be fair when most talk about Izzy we aren't even talking about his solo stuff, we are talking about his contributions with GNR.   The whole point being - Izzy with those other four guys provided a "greater than the sum of the parts" effect that made an album like Appetite or most songs on the Illusions even possible to begin with.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Everyone has different views of all the members solo stuff.. That aside... are you saying you don't like any of his contributions to Guns N' Roses? Because that would be laughable...

I'm saying its laughable that people think he contributed so much to gnr's music or success. 

But if you can't tell already,  he is my least favorite. :P

37 minutes ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

I'm saying its laughable that people think he contributed so much to gnr's music or success. 

But if you can't tell already,  he is my least favorite. :P

how about this one 

FUCK AXL and HIS LAME ASS PRIMODANA CONTRIBUTIONS SUCH AS HIS SHITTY CIRCUS OF PROCEEDINGS FOLLOWING IZZY's departure and his whinny loser ass ballads to some dumb model chick 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 3