YouTube is 15 years old today!

soon

YouTube launched 15 years ago today (Feb 14, 2005). Founded by 3 PayPal employees who have since told a few versions of the origin story. One being that they at first intended to create a video-based dating site. Another is that they were disappointed that they couldn't find a video of the Super Bowl Half Time Show infamous Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction." :lol:

Today there are wealthy YouTubers. There are cute cats and serious news, ASMR and wing suit flights over mountains. Billie Elish just dropped the new James Bond theme! And they brought back Karate Kid!!!! :headbang:What was the first viral video you ever saw?

As Guns fans YT has traditionally held a truly important place in our fandom. Of course the fuckery we face currently might take some fun out of YT - but YT might also be where some of us discovered Guns? 

This thread is to celebrate, post fav vids, discuss, critique and reminisce about all things YT. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On March 6, 2020 at 4:34 PM, EvanG said:

Videos like this are brilliant,

Super cool! What foresight for using such a new medium to document it. It strikes me as being perfect YT content. I wonder how many people had the chance to view it before it was uploaded? 

2 hours ago, soon said:

Super cool! What foresight for using such a new medium to document it. It strikes me as being perfect YT content. I wonder how many people had the chance to view it before it was uploaded? 

No idea, but it's pretty cool, isn't it? The Paris video can also be found in colour on YT. It's the best way to travel back in time, I guess... it's like sitting on a bench somewhere in the late 1890's and just watching people passing by.

This one is from NYC in 1911,

And in this video some youtuber identified a family in that video by searching for the licence plate number that is visible at the 4 minute mark. It's kinda stalky but interesting at the same time,

• Like 1