Video Footage of Marquee stint in 87

12 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I just stumbled across this website where it quotes Slash as saying he was given a DVD of one of the Marquee gigs that someone filmed - is that common knowledge? I'd never heard that before!?

https://www.udiscovermusic.no/stories/guns-n-roses-under-a-marquee-moon

News to me. According to this article: https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/guns-n-roses-under-a-marquee-moon/ the quote from Slash was originally published in a 2014 Sunday Times interview.  Unfortunately, we don't have this interview in our database over at A4D yet. But I do think this would be the first time Slash talked about this DVD, and he does say he recently received it. 

Funny to think that there could be more gems like this out there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

News to me. According to this article: https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/guns-n-roses-under-a-marquee-moon/ the quote from Slash was originally published in a 2014 Sunday Times interview.  Unfortunately, we don't have this interview in our database over at A4D yet. But I do think this would be the first time Slash talked about this DVD, and he does say he recently received it. 

Funny to think that there could be more gems like this out there.

Crazy isn't it?!

Wait, why they (including Slash) keep saying 2 shows? I always thought it was 3 gigs at the Marquee? 

If a video really exists, with them before soundcheck and all, it will probably never be published cuz deemed too politically incorrect or some BS like that... I mean, just look how they erased One in a Million off the AFD anniversary, as if it never happened. 

Edited by AncientEvil80

9 minutes ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Wait, why they (including Slash) keep saying 2 shows? I always thought it was 3 gigs at the Marquee? 

If a video really exists, with them before soundcheck and all, it will probably never be published cuz deemed too politically incorrect or some BS like that... I mean, just look how they erased One in a Million off the AFD anniversary, as if it never happened. 

I did find it odd the reference to only 2 shows. Also, the actual quality of the video is likely poor with it being a camcorder in 87. Still would be good to see though.

Edited by DTJ80

They did of course do three shows. Slash has a somewhat unreliable memory.

I wonder if it is the show where reviewer John Hurt would describe Axl's voice thusly: if "a six foot-tall hamster masquerading as a GI had the misfortune to be captured by the Vietcong and subjected to the dastardliest of tweaks and prods, it should emit noises similar to those made by Axl. His voice is the voice of Bon Scott with one terrified bollock stuck on the plane, too petrified to take the freefall into the scrotum below". Naturally Axl did not appreciate this honesty or wit and sought out Hurt, "John Hurt? He fucking will be if I find him!"

More here: https://www.a-4-d.com/t4046p60-the-history-in-their-own-words#15856

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

There was a guy, Pete Makowski, who said he had filmed the band rehearsing before the third Marquee show (it's not clear if he filmed the actual show, as well). He said he then gave the footage to the band. From Classic Rock, April 2005:

classi10.jpg

If ever there was a movie about the band, doing it on this first england trip only would be the best one 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

10 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I wonder if it is the show where reviewer John Hurt would describe Axl's voice thusly: if "a six foot-tall hamster masquerading as a GI had the misfortune to be captured by the Vietcong and subjected to the dastardliest of tweaks and prods, it should emit noises similar to those made by Axl. His voice is the voice of Bon Scott with one terrified bollock stuck on the plane, too petrified to take the freefall into the scrotum below". Naturally Axl did not appreciate this honesty or wit and sought out Hurt, "John Hurt? He fucking will be if I find him!"

He was great in The Elephant Man.😊

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

With the amount of booze and drugs Slash ingested, its a miracle that he can remember anything at all about those years! 

• Like 2

Would love to see an official release of footage from the Marquee shows if indeed it does exist.

We know there is good audio recordings as they used their first ever performance of Whole Lotta Rosie on the B side of the 12inch SCOM single. We also got their first performance of KOHD in the Afd Super Deluxe set. Out Ta Get Me was used from the Marquee for Live Era.

This would signify that these shows were an important part of the bands history to them, it was these shows that gave them a footprint in the UK and helped them create a real buzz. Axl even referenced playing the songs at the Marquee when they played London June 17th back in 2017.

5 hours ago, waxl1974 said:

Would love to see an official release of footage from the Marquee shows if indeed it does exist.

We know there is good audio recordings as they used their first ever performance of Whole Lotta Rosie on the B side of the 12inch SCOM single. We also got their first performance of KOHD in the Afd Super Deluxe set. Out Ta Get Me was used from the Marquee for Live Era.

This would signify that these shows were an important part of the bands history to them, it was these shows that gave them a footprint in the UK and helped them create a real buzz. Axl even referenced playing the songs at the Marquee when they played London June 17th back in 2017.

The 1987 Welcome to the Jungle 12" single had Its So Easy, Whole Lotta Rosie, and KOHD live from The Marquee.

I have had the audio of the full show for years. Its the video I have always wanted though.

Edited by RedHook
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RedHook said:

The 1987 Welcome to the Jungle 12" single had Its So Easy, Whole Lotta Rosie, and KOHD live from The Marquee.

I have had the audio of the full show for years. Its the video I have always wanted though.

Of course. Forgot I even had that 12" in my collection, just the plain black cover. The standard 12" had Nightrain and accoustic You're Crazy on. Have stacks up in my loft that I collected back in the day. 

Here's hoping for the video but highly doubt it would ever be released if it does exist. 

Marquee deserves a official release in full. I'm even fine with only a audio disc. Marquee is the closest thing to hear the typical Appetite For Destruction voice LIVE ! before his voice changed to full rasp voice. His AfD voice is more a mix between clean high notes and only a little bit of rasp which sounds very aggressive. When i heard the outro of Rocket Queen in Marquee for the first time I throught Holy Shit. That MF can sing! In my opinion '87 he sounds absoluty amazing. AfD was recorded with a perferct voice! Imagine AfD was made in '88... of course the record will be amazing too (see You're Crazy on GN'R Lies) but that hungry agressive young voice in '87 was perfect for AfD. Marquee should be released! For me it's the best concert of Guns N' Roses, better than Ritz '88. It's my opinion

Edited by t-p-d-a
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, waxl1974 said:

What we have is actually their fourth performance of KOHD :)

They played it at the two prior Marquee gigs, and they played it twice on the 28th - we only have the second performance. Having video for it would be incredibly nice though.

10 hours ago, RedHook said:

The live songs are also on the Live From The Jungle EP, along with the faux live Shadow Of Your Love. I've had this CD since it first came out and have probably listened to it more than Lies. The live version of Rosie is one of my faves!