L' Arc 2010

Wow... such a great throwback. Who remembers these years?

Probably the last time Axl cared. Just look at him... singing like hell. Also, probably the last time we witnessed one of the riots/speeches -- about Bon Jovi sucking his dick.

Good times indeed...

Edited by scooby845

Absolutely love this gig. 2010 Axl is just unreal.

Hiro ballroom 2012 is up there too. As is the rose bar 2010.

Wish we'd get more of these now that slash is back. Surprised they've not signed up for MTV unplugged.

It'd be a great way to release a new album without putting new music out. And they'd get to do as many covers as they liked.  

So I saw them at the Bearcy arena in Paris the day either before or after L’ARc. Axl was on fire. I hated that version of GNR for many reasons but Axl was excellent. His voice was super on point and powerful. 

Edited by Arnuld
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dean said:

You Could Be Mine, You're Crazy, Paradise City and Catcher all the big highlights.

From sounding like this in an acoustic set to Bridge School in two years.

Does that say more about Axl getting sick in 2011, or more about the lack of taking care of his voice? Sad that we can't have prime Axl anymore :/ stinks his singing style isn't more natural to his register (not sure i'm using that correctly)

2 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Does that say more about Axl getting sick in 2011, or more about the lack of taking care of his voice? Sad that we can't have prime Axl anymore :/ stinks his singing style isn't more natural to his register (not sure i'm using that correctly)

I think he changed his technique, I assume he burnt himself out by the end of the 2010 tour and maybe felt that he was at a standstill career wise - this is all assuming we take the hearsay as fact. The label supposedly rejecting a follow up album, DJ Ashba to be fired from the band and then the band to be dissolved and then the whole fiasco in Abu Dhabi which was supposedly going to lead to more firings. The chat back then was that he was going through the motions at the shows, I dunno if I agree with that, but the shows did seem like a routine. We were hoping for new music to be debuted at Rio 2011, but what we got was the opposite. More or less the sign of what was to come for the next 3 years until that era came to an end. 

I still prefer Axl's singing in 2016 though, especially the North America run, to the way he was chanting back in 2010. That may seem mental to some, but he had the right balance of rasp and clean, plus his clean voice had more power than it did from 2011/14.

I also hope that a new album will get his arse back in gear and he'll be wanting to fire on all cylinders to promote fuck out of it with some sensational chanting. 

11 minutes ago, Dean said:

I think he changed his technique, I assume he burnt himself out by the end of the 2010 tour and maybe felt that he was at a standstill career wise - this is all assuming we take the hearsay as fact. The label supposedly rejecting a follow up album, DJ Ashba to be fired from the band and then the band to be dissolved and then the whole fiasco in Abu Dhabi which was supposedly going to lead to more firings. The chat back then was that he was going through the motions at the shows, I dunno if I agree with that, but the shows did seem like a routine. We were hoping for new music to be debuted at Rio 2011, but what we got was the opposite. More or less the sign of what was to come for the next 3 years until that era came to an end. 

I still prefer Axl's singing in 2016 though, especially the North America run, to the way he was chanting back in 2010. That may seem mental to some, but he had the right balance of rasp and clean, plus his clean voice had more power than it did from 2011/14.

I also hope that a new album will get his arse back in gear and he'll be wanting to fire on all cylinders to promote fuck out of it with some sensational chanting. 

1) It's more of the "Axl's voice" thread material, but still: what you say wouldn't explain his 2002 version, which maybe wasn't as bad as 2011 or 2013/14... whatever, but it was still a major shift as opposed to the 90s, with 2001 being somewhere in between but closer to 02. It's more complicated than that, and theories are many. 

2) What did actually happen in Abu Dhabi in 2010? I've seen several allusions but can't find anything of substance. The playlist looks normal, Axl sounded good... What was the fiasco about? 

10 minutes ago, jamillos said:

1) It's more of the "Axl's voice" thread material, but still: what you say wouldn't explain his 2002 version, which maybe wasn't as bad as 2011 or 2013/14... whatever, but it was still a major shift as opposed to the 90s, with 2001 being somewhere in between but closer to 02. It's more complicated than that, and theories are many. 

2) What did actually happen in Abu Dhabi in 2010? I've seen several allusions but can't find anything of substance. The playlist looks normal, Axl sounded good... What was the fiasco about? 

No one knows for definite. Axl touches on it on the interview he done on That Metal Show, but says they were betrayed big time in terms of business. The rumours at the time was that Tommy was pissed at something, very drunk and refusing to play. 

On your first point, I've got big love for his voice in 2001, particularly the HOB show. 

5 minutes ago, Dean said:

No one knows for definite. Axl touches on it on the interview he done on That Metal Show, but says they were betrayed big time in terms of business. The rumours at the time was that Tommy was pissed at something, very drunk and refusing to play. 

On your first point, I've got big love for his voice in 2001, particularly the HOB show. 

Yeah, that much I've heard, except the Tommy thing (or I've forgotten since). 

I agree HoB was cool. Way better than Rio.