Friends HBO Reunion Special

AtariLegend

24 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Maybe not to you but to a lot of people it was.

Yeah, it was funny.

Back in the day I didn't meet a single soul who didn't love it. Now it seems like everyone's too cool for it, even on a GNR forum.

And yes, the fact that it's popular again now proves that it aged well.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Creed said:

I dont get the humor of any sitcom in the last 10 years...so i'm out of this business. Comedy is like Rock. There was pretty good stuff in the 80s and 90s ;)

As I've said before, it's subjective, you can't argue taste. There are plenty of comedy shows I've enjoyed over the last years, especially offbeat comedies like Louie, Baskets, Love and some The Last Man On Earth. I have probably forgotten most of them already. There's just so much out there nowadays, you just have to find it.

I barely watched British stuff growing up... we did get BBC one and two but I only watched The Simpsons on the BBC... and the weakest link... haha.

The only British shows I watched and enjoyed were Gavin & Stacey, Coupling, Bottom and The Young Ones.

Well, and Mr. Bean... but I guess that is about as uncool as liking Friends, huh?

I think sitcoms just keep getting better and better. Trailer Park Boys, The Office, Parks and Rec, Brooklyn Nine Nine, Kims Convenience, Thick Of It, , Great News, The IT Crowd, Scream Queens...

Along with truly great 'dramedies' like Sex Education, Atypical and Hello Ladies. And the zombie shows like iZombie and Santa Clarita Diet.

I think even Stranger Things is funnier than older shows that were solely comedic. :shrugs:

My little theory is that since empathy, insight and understanding are key in comedy, that social media has opened up the canvas for comedy writers. Because of social media 'making the world a smaller place' we all have a wider frame of reference. Maybe?

4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

You're missing out, there are enough different flavours in American comedies, it's not all the same thing.

I wouldn't say sitcoms are something I am overly keen on in toto to be honest. The British comedies you listed as liking? I have seen none of them. I had this conversation awhile back with Len, how I hadn't actually seen Bottom or The Young Ones. Shocking I know! When I was growing up I preferred watching films. An entire British cultural experience, that Len, Dazey et al. absorbed, completely evaded me. 

There is only so much stuff you can possibly watch!  

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

In fairness Gervais shuck up comedy a bit with The Office and Extras. And then there is the Royal Family. A few good things then from the last twenty years but nothing on the scale as the 1960s-80s. 

Phoenix Nights was pretty good too.

Just now, Dazey said:

Joking apart it's a pretty good approximation of the club I used to work in as a student. :lol:  

I think your mentioning of that must have acted on my sub-conscious. 

You have to love old man social boozers. They always have a side thing of birthdays and weddings and so forth. You can be at a ''Batman themed'' birthday party with toddlers and there are a few old men around with red faces reading the paper.

20 hours ago, Creed said:

i did age well. At least from the production  look. Thats why young people are watching it now. But is or was it really funny? No. But i can't name one single sitcom from the last 10 years which was funny...the gag writers are beyond awful...its just another reason why so many people are despressed right now...you're watching TV asking yourself: did i loose my sense of humor? why is this shit successful while i'm not?

Modern Family is still pretty good, if you've been watching from the beginning. Mostly only thanks to the gay couple, but still worth watching. Final season this year. 

On 25/02/2020 at 8:45 PM, DieselDaisy said:

I wouldn't say sitcoms are something I am overly keen on in toto to be honest. The British comedies you listed as liking? I have seen none of them. I had this conversation awhile back with Len, how I hadn't actually seen Bottom or The Young Ones. Shocking I know! When I was growing up I preferred watching films. An entire British cultural experience, that Len, Dazey et al. absorbed, completely evaded me. 

There is only so much stuff you can possibly watch!  

I missed out on a fair few too.  Pheonix Nights I've never seen, Red Dwarf just looked shite.  Tons of em actually.  Like yourself I preferred films, they were just harder to come by.  The New Statesman I saw as a consequence of talking to McLeod on here and I could kiss the fat bastard for putting that my way, absolutely love it.  I actually remember it being on the telly as a kid but I was very very little at the time.

Edited by Len Cnut

On 25/02/2020 at 8:32 PM, DieselDaisy said:

I don't like American comedy at all so for me this is the case. 

I love classic British comedy shows but USA has a ton of classics that I'm more drawn to now - Seinfeld, Everyone Loves Raymond, King of Queens, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fraiser. Absolutely hilarious and there's more than 2 series of 6 episodes 

17 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I missed out on a fair few too.  Pheonix Nights I've never seen, Red Dwarf just looked shite.  Tons of em actually.  Like yourself I preferred films, they were just harder to come by.  The New Statesman I saw as a consequence of talking to McLeod on here and I could kiss the fat bastard for putting that my way, absolutely love it.  I actually remember it being on the telly as a kid but I was very very little at the time.

Anything with Rik is gold. 

The first series of Game On is great. As is Blackadder 2-4. I didn't like the first series 

38 minutes ago, WildStar said:

Everyone Loves Raymond, King of Queens

I always watched those two a lot back in the day and they are one of the few sitcoms that actually managed to make me chuckle. The family in Everybody Loves Raymond is totally relatable and King Of Queens is pretty funny for a sitcom, Jerry Stiller's character Arthur is probably my favourite sitcom character.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I always watched those two a lot back in the day and they are one of the few sitcoms that actually managed to make me chuckle. The family in Everybody Loves Raymond is totally relatable and King Of Queens is pretty funny for a sitcom, Jerry Stiller's character Arthur is probably my favourite sitcom character.

And he's hilarious as George's Dad in Seinfeld