adamsapple

COVID-19 Outbreak

The first official corona patient in Belgium, returning from Wuhan in February and tested positive and quarantined in hospital for two weeks, despite not being sick, has been tested again and he's not immune to the virus. That doesn't seem like good news.

I found out today a woman I work with has tested positive for corona virus. She has a 12 year old daughter. She is staying in her bedroom for 12 days. The doctor gave her medicine for the cough and the pain. I didn't know they had meds for it.

I called my doctor today, the nurse said they don't test for the virus. Have to look online to see where we could get tested if anyone of my family members feel ill.  Not sure if my friend has gone outside much. That's what scares me, if we shelter inside most of the time, how are people getting this virus? Scary shit.

Stay well.

3 hours ago, Lio said:

The first official corona patient in Belgium, returning from Wuhan in February and tested positive and quarantined in hospital for two weeks, despite not being sick, has been tested again and he's not immune to the virus. That doesn't seem like good news.

I know I'm hearing you can get it again. Not surprised by this as you can get the flu multiple times as well as a sinus infection.

Hope they get well.

Like I said it'll be a miracle if we don't get this virus at least once in our lifetime. I'm really getting freaked out by this.

And hearing so many different things about a vaccine coming or not? NYC is testing now too.

I don't like when doctors compare this virus to HIV. I know there's no vaccine for HIV, but if you're smart and practice safe sex and don't use dirty needles, you can avoid getting this disease. Also there are tons of medicines now for HIV and not many people progress into AIDS these days. 

This corona virus is a silent as it gets and you can be carrying it and not know it and give it to other people. This is some MAJOR scary shit.

On 5/5/2020 at 7:15 PM, TheSeeker said:

Yeah, they tell us to always wear a mask outside yet Trump doesn't and he wasn't 6 feet apart from those people and to boot it was a mask making factory!

Unbelieveable! What the hell is going on?

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, good call. She obviously doesn't know what she is talking about. First off, there is no need for doctors to set vaccination shots, that can be easily don't by nurses and technicians. In a stretch one could also easily train other people to do this. Secondly. mass-vaccination has been done for many other diseases (which we have eradicated), so we know this is doable.

Actually, the number of new infected in NYC is going down.

Yeah, true, but since NYC has many undocumented immigrants that get ill and don't go to a doctor or hospital, who knows if those numbers are correct.

I hope it's true because I have family and friends who live in and around NYC.  And you are correct in the nurses giving the shots. My nurse always gives us the flu shots or any other shot we may need.

I just hope whatever vaccine and whoever makes it, works on all of us. You just never know? I hate not knowing!

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

It's their job. I mean, they treat sick patients all the time. Except for increased pressure in some areas, whether they treat someone almost dying from COVID-19 or almost dying from cancer, doesn't make much of a difference to them. They are educated and professional and know what their job is about. But hopefully the rest of us can learn to appreciate the value of the job they do even more now.

Yeah, but in the beginning so much death and they had to deal with that almost daily. And then the chance of them getting ill too. I don't know how they do it.

But so many people are suffering with this virus. The farmers having to kill the animals they raise. I cried over that one. I can't believe I still eat meat. So much suffering. Even after this virus is over, maybe, the effects will go on for the rest of our lives. It sucks. I don't like my life fucked up. I know so many people have it worse. Not being able to see a dying loved one or bury them, that has to suck. Just can't stand how this virus has changed all our lives and our world. I don't think there's any going back to the way things were.

2 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I found out today a woman I work with has tested positive for corona virus. She has a 12 year old daughter. She is staying in her bedroom for 12 days. The doctor gave her medicine for the cough and the pain. I didn't know they had meds for it.

I called my doctor today, the nurse said they don't test for the virus. Have to look online to see where we could get tested if anyone of my family members feel ill.  Not sure if my friend has gone outside much. That's what scares me, if we shelter inside most of the time, how are people getting this virus? Scary shit.

Stay well.

NY governor Cuomo came out yesterday and said that 66% of cases are people staying home.  I live in NJ, 2nd only to NY in cases.  I think what we're doing here is the complete opposite of what we should be doing as far as this shutdown keeping everyone home.  I'm an essential worker so I'm out in public every day.  Nobody can go to work but nobody is staying home either.   I work outside and I have to wear a mask and faceshield.  I see some people leaving their house 3 to 5 times a day.  People are out all day walking their dog, riding bikes, or jogging and I'd say 1 in 10 people I see has a mask on.  So what I think a major contributor to how so many people are getting the virus is this.  Everyone who leaves their home only has a few places to go because everything is closed.  Food stores, Wal Mart and Home Depot is where everybody is going.  The governor also limited store hours forcing these stores to close early.  So people have fewer places to go creating larger crowds and the hours are limited putting more people in the stores before they close.  It only takes one family member to get it and bring it home to the rest of the family.  How do you keep your family from getting it if you aren't showing symptoms and only have one bathroom to use?  By the time someone finds out they have it it's too late.  I'm not saying I have all the answers but obviously stay at home orders aren't working so well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Yeah, true, but since NYC has many undocumented immigrants that get ill and don't go to a doctor or hospital, who knows if those numbers are correct.

It is correct that the number of confirmed cases is much lower than the number of actual cases. But that's a systematic error and wouldn't affect the trend that less are getting infected in NYC.

13 hours ago, Lio said:

I feel something is missing to this story. Was it discovered that he hadn't become immune because he got sick again (developed symptoms), which is the important thing to figure out, or because he still had viruses lingering in his body or because they couldn't detect antibodies against the virus? 

30 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I feel something is missing to this story. Was it discovered that he hadn't become immune because he got sick again (developed symptoms), which is the important thing to figure out, or because he still had viruses lingering in his body or because they couldn't detect antibodies against the virus? 

this person wasn't showing any symptoms at all, from what I recall.

it is now believed that you don't make antibodies, if:

- you carried the the virus

BUT

- did not show outspoken symptoms.

so now the theory goes, only people who carried the virus AND showed more severe symptoms, have created antibodies.

In conclusion: much ado about nothing. Those who didn't get antibodies, don't get very sick any way. And those who did get very sick, do develop antibodies. So both are good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

He still isn't sick and hasn't been infected since the first time. But he doesn't have antibodies.

It's just that many people felt like: oh, I probably had it already, so I'm fine. Now it appears that that isn't so.

The tips in Wales just been allowed too open THANK GOD & we can go out twice a day too exercise Im happy with that...!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Gavin82 said:

The tips in Wales just been allowed too open THANK GOD & we can go out twice a day too exercise Im happy with that...!!!!!!

Just the tip? :D

• Haha 1

Got the name of a clinic that is near me incase anyone one of us gets a fever.

It sucks to have to think about this everyday.

Anyway, I haven't watched the news today, so I have no idea what's going on? I know a lot of stores and restaurant are opening up all over the country. Testing is still not what it should be.

Trump is going to get tested every day. Good for him.

I watched The View for a bit today. Sonny, one of the ladies, said how she will continue to wear a mask if and when she goes on a plane. She talked about after 9/11 and how we all had to adapt a new way to go to the airport and get on the plane, so after this virus calms down, if ever, we will all have to adjust again to a new way of life.

This virus has effected every life form on earth and since we're all connected we all have to learn new ways to stay well and keep our friends, family and pets well too.

Have a good weekend! For moms out there "Have a happy Mother's day!

8 hours ago, Gavin82 said:

Just wear your mask and sanitizer on your hands and distance too.

9 hours ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

Insert fear here

Fear is the new way of living right now and it sucks!

14 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

It is correct that the number of confirmed cases is much lower than the number of actual cases. But that's a systematic error and wouldn't affect the trend that less are getting infected in NYC.

Well that is good news for a change.

CNN never tells you anything positive.

Although today the big story was when sports stadiums will open and play games again. OMG!

I heard there will be boxing matches this weekend and possibly fans. God help them all!

21 hours ago, Swampfox said:

NY governor Cuomo came out yesterday and said that 66% of cases are people staying home.  I live in NJ, 2nd only to NY in cases.  I think what we're doing here is the complete opposite of what we should be doing as far as this shutdown keeping everyone home.  I'm an essential worker so I'm out in public every day.  Nobody can go to work but nobody is staying home either.   I work outside and I have to wear a mask and faceshield.  I see some people leaving their house 3 to 5 times a day.  People are out all day walking their dog, riding bikes, or jogging and I'd say 1 in 10 people I see has a mask on.  So what I think a major contributor to how so many people are getting the virus is this.  Everyone who leaves their home only has a few places to go because everything is closed.  Food stores, Wal Mart and Home Depot is where everybody is going.  The governor also limited store hours forcing these stores to close early.  So people have fewer places to go creating larger crowds and the hours are limited putting more people in the stores before they close.  It only takes one family member to get it and bring it home to the rest of the family.  How do you keep your family from getting it if you aren't showing symptoms and only have one bathroom to use?  By the time someone finds out they have it it's too late.  I'm not saying I have all the answers but obviously stay at home orders aren't working so well.

Yeah, and people are staying home and still getting the virus. I don't think anyone has definite answers right now. But since closing many cities, the number of cases has gone down, but when we open fully, how will it be?

Texas is opening more and more things now. I'm afraid a second wave of this virus is going to hit and hit harder than the first time. It makes me crazy to think this, but many people just don't get it. This virus is no joke and since there's nothing to keep us from getting it, common sense has to be what we use now. You can walk your dog around your block or in front of your house. You don't need to go to a dog park(when the hell did this become the norm). There are things we humans can do to keep safe, but just like HIV, some humans think they know more. Good luck with that!

Thank you for doing your job and helping people. Stay well!

Large street parties up and down the country, inc near me for VE day.

I guess the gov feels social distancing doesn't count today?

8 hours ago, Gavin82 said:

That's like killing three birds with one stone in Wales. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, spunko12345 said:

That's like killing three birds with one stone in Wales. 

John Wayne Gacey is that you????

Edited by Gavin82

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

Large street parties up and down the country, inc near me for VE day.

I guess the gov feels social distancing doesn't count today?

What has that got to do with the government if people are organizing street parties?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

What has that got to do with the government if people are organizing street parties?

The fact that they had people on tv encouraging it?

3 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

The fact that they had people on tv encouraging it?

The scenario is actually the complete reverse of what you are saying, 

VE Day commemorations to change to protect veterans

In line with the latest expert medical and scientific advice, VE Day 75 events will be scaled back 

Published 20 March 2020

Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport, Ministry of Defence, and The Rt Hon Oliver Dowden CBE MP

VE Day 75

Veterans’ procession down the Mall will no longer take place

Culture Secretary will unveil new plans shortly to ensure the public can give thanks to the Second World War generation

The national commemoration events to mark VE Day 75 will be scaled back due to the ongoing spread of coronavirus. 

In line with the latest expert medical and scientific advice from Public Health England and guidance on mass gatherings, the UK Government has announced plans to mark the 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War in Europe will be changed.

As part of the new plans the veterans’ procession down the Mall and the events in St James’s Park will no longer go ahead. 

This is in order to protect the health and wellbeing of the Second World War generation and members of the public. 

The UK Government and the Devolved Administrations are working on new plans to ensure the public can still thank the Second World War generation on VE Day in May and provide the fitting tribute they deserve. 

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said: 

It is with a very heavy heart that we have to scale back our VE Day commemorations. Veterans always have and will be at the centre of our plans and our key priority right now is to protect their health and wellbeing. 

In these unprecedented circumstances I hope that the public will understand why we have made this difficult decision and I hope they will join us in saying thank you to the generation who gave so much on May 8th. We will ensure that we mark this important event and will provide an update on plans shortly.

The Government wants to ensure that the British public have the opportunity to thank the Second World War generation. The revised plans on how the nation can mark the occasion will be made public in due course.   Events in Scotland to mark 75 years since VE Day on 8 May, which included a parade and concert in Edinburgh, are also being rescheduled, owing to the coronavirus outbreak. 

Scottish Government Veterans Minister Graeme Dey said: 

I regret that we are having to reschedule these events, a decision which has been taken in line with official advice on large gatherings during the coronavirus outbreak.

Communities and, most importantly, veterans will have the opportunity to join events at a later date to pay tribute to the sacrifices of those from the Allied and Commonwealth nations. We will provide details of these in due course.

In Wales, postponed events include a drumhead service and military parade in Cardiff Bay and a National Service of Thanksgiving at Llandaff Cathedral.

Welsh Government Minister for Housing and Local Government Julie James said:

It is with regret that events to mark the 75th anniversary of VE Day in Wales have had to be postponed due to the outbreak of coronavirus in Wales. The decision is in line with the current public health guidance on mass gatherings and the wellbeing of veterans and the public. The Welsh Government will mark the occasion in a way that is appropriate to the current circumstances.   The Government is also continuing to plan to mark VJ Day 75 on 15 August, to commemorate Victory Over Japan and the end of the Second World War. These plans will take into account the public health guidance in place at the time. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/ve-day-commemorations-to-change-to-protect-veterans

Posted (edited)

This pandemic has had no effect on me. Still working 5 days a week, still shop at Walmart, all bills are paid, never wear a mask or gloves and never caught the virus. My state back open for business. Let's wrap this thing up. Life goes on....

Edited by 31illusions

Aw, Roy from Siegfried and Roy died from the virus.  He survived a tiger attack.  Love those white tigers.

7 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Well that is good news for a change.

CNN never tells you anything positive.

Although today the big story was when sports stadiums will open and play games again. OMG!

I heard there will be boxing matches this weekend and possibly fans. God help them all!

Yeah, it is a bit absurd that some states are opening when their numbers of new infected are on the rise. The logical thing to do was implement restrictions until the number of cases go down, and then slowly reopen society while monitoring the disease, ready to shut down again if the numbers start increasing.