adamsapple

COVID-19 Outbreak

Norway has abandoned its 2-meter social distancing rule. That's great, now Norwegians can go back to its customary 5-meter distance to other people.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Norway has abandoned its 2-meter social distancing rule. That's great, now Norwegians can go back to its customary 5-meter distance to other people.

Are you chaps like Londoners?

I don't understand why some people around the world including America think it's safe to discontinue distancing and not wearing a mask?

The virus is not gone nor is it going anywhere anytime soon.

I don't know if these people just don't give a shit or they are confident that they won't get sick?

I honestly don't know anymore. But if/when I go out I wear a mask and stay away from anyone in a store or outside. My hands are raw from so much sanitizer. 

It is getting hot here in Dallas now, so I usually stay in most of the summer anyway.

Be safe.

12 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Is it incomprehensible to you that a totalitarian regime known for their human rights transgressions could be able to enforce social restrictions to limit the spread of a new epidemic more efficiently than some democracies? 

Every country is in the same boat and we're all sinking fast!

There were huge gatherings here in the US over the weekend and there wasn't enough police to stop it. 

Every politician says use your common sense! The problem is many people don't have common sense or refuse to use it. They see other people out and about and they figure what the hell?

You can't force people unless you decide to shoot them or gas them. That would be terrible, but I bet some countries will do what they can to keep people in line.

It's happened in the past all over the world.

18 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Every country is in the same boat and we're all sinking fast!

Not remotely true. Many countries not named Brazil, Russia, the US and most of Western Europe have been able to avoid the worst of pandemic and are on their way of reducing the number of infected and dead to a manageable number. 

Disturbing story. Aussie scientists studying corona, Flinders University in Adelaide and Latrobe University in Melbourne, think it is man made. 

'It is almost perfectly human-adapted, it couldn't do any better". 

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/25820/20200527/coronavirus-perfectly-adapted-infect-humans-raising-suspicions-man-made-complete.htm

https://www.fr24news.com/a/2020/05/very-likely-human-made-coronavirus-says-top-scientist-with-only-one-other-possible-cause-world-new.html

Ok so Latin America has now become the NEW canter of the pandemic they are now in 2nd place above Russia & UK & Spain. Latin America are confirming MORE cases now than the USA.

It would almost be like the world cup, England after a load of hype now settling into her customary quarter-finalist role, Spain, if not for the fact that the Germans didn't reach the final.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Disturbing story. Aussie scientists studying corona, Flinders University in Adelaide and Latrobe University in Melbourne, think it is man made. 

'It is almost perfectly human-adapted, it couldn't do any better". 

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/25820/20200527/coronavirus-perfectly-adapted-infect-humans-raising-suspicions-man-made-complete.htm

https://www.fr24news.com/a/2020/05/very-likely-human-made-coronavirus-says-top-scientist-with-only-one-other-possible-cause-world-new.html

I am not a professor of virology but unless they have identified all steps of the evolutionary process, the conclusion that it immediately jumped from having a higher affinity for animal receptors to having a higher affinity for human receptors is a bit weak, to put it mildly. And we simply don't have a perfect overview over all intermediate forms of the virus.

& tbere still flights from EU too S.A there was a flight from AMS too LIM took of this morn its not even out of EU yet also AMS too EZE took off this morn we may be in lock down but EU has international  flights landing from all over the world

Hong Kong

Mexio City

Doha

NYC

WASHINGTON

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am not a professor of virology but unless they have identified all steps of the evolutionary process, the conclusion that it immediately jumped from having a higher affinity for animal receptors to having a higher affinity for human receptors is a bit weak, to put it mildly. And we simply don't have a perfect overview over all intermediate forms of the virus.

Well what ever happened or caused all this im sure will come out in the end we jus gota sit tight.

35 minutes ago, Gavin82 said:

Well what ever happened or caused all this im sure will come out in the end we jus gota sit tight.

Well, actually, we might not. Unless conclusive evidence is found for the virus being man-made, there will always be people who doubt its natural origin through evolution - just like there are people even today who doubt the evolution of humans. We might be able to identify all evolutionary intermediates from an exclusively animal-pathogenic virus to an exclusively human-pathogenic virus, but people will still believe what they prefer to believe for political and conspiratorial reasons. Doubt is a powerful thing. 

All this being said, I am not dismissing the possibility that it can have been man-made; I just agree with the large majority of scientists who conclude that it is much more likely to be result of a natural evolutionary process.

• Like 2

More than a 100,000 deaths in the USA because of COVID-19, more than 350,000 deaths worldwide. 

The fact that it is "only" 350k deaths is a testament to our leaders efficiency in enacting mitigating policies, our shared trust in the policies and faithful follow-through, and the remarkable efficient health care systems that we have developed which has allowed us to save thousands of live without having a specific drug against this disease. 

I expect and hope we will learn a lot from this pandemic. In particular on how new disease emerge and how we can reduce that likelihood (wet markets, I am looking at you), on how to react to early signs on an emerging disease (WHO will play a fundamental role), on how to rapidly scale-up healthcare capacity, and the sense in trusting the experts and their recommendations. The next pandemic can be a much deadlier thing - let's consider this useful training.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Brazil is on course too have 125,000 cases it did say a date & its in record time as too USA & EU etc but i cant remember what was said.

W.W cases now stand @ 5.6 million 

Edited by Gavin82

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It would almost be like the world cup, England after a load of hype now settling into her customary quarter-finalist role, Spain, if not for the fact that the Germans didn't reach the final.

Would that make the bubonic plague our 66 then? :lol:  Or did some other country beat us even then?  Fuckin' foreign bastards :lol:

CDC released a statement that backs Dr John Ioannidis earlier findings from a month ago which puts the covid death rate at .3 percent he actually said .2) .If u do the math it’s twice as contagious as the flu and 3 times deadlier without a vaccine you could see why it’s doing the damage it’s doing worldwide but it’s nowhere near as deadly as officials made us to believe earlier putting it at that 10 times less then official cases to deaths 

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Well then you should discuss this with ProfessorPetrovsky, Professor of Medicine, vaccinologist. Should be quite a party, you and him together arguing this? Bottle of Prosecco and a few bread sticks, canapes and other middle class items on the table? 

A new study indicates that 95 % of those who have been infected develop antibodies against the disease. In other words, very little chance of getting the disease again quickly after having had it; and more likely that we will be able to develop a vaccine against the disease.

Worth a beer, cheers!

• Like 2

Why would anyone (without respiratory health conditions) under 80YO take this vaccine? It's soooooo unnecessary and dangerous 

Dr. Fauci says another round of the virus will be coming soon. Aren't we still in this round?

Anyway, water parks in Texas are opening. Six Flags are opening too. There will be new guide lines and people will have to reserve their spots as they won't be all full.

I saw that Disney in Florida will open in July with restrictions too. Sea World too in June.

Not sure I want to go anywhere like this for a long time. don't have the money for a real vacation and I surely don't want to fly on a plane.

I just hope everyone who goes to these places stays well. I know we have to move on with our lives, but if you listen to Gov. Cuomo of New York, the worst isn't over yet and NYC is still in lock down for a good reason.

I guess with Trump as President, nothing is off limits including the deaths of many more people.

Stay well.

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

A new study indicates that 95 % of those who have been infected develop antibodies against the disease. In other words, very little chance of getting the disease again quickly after having had it; and more likely that we will be able to develop a vaccine against the disease.

Worth a beer, cheers!

Sounds good but I have heard of patients getting this virus again. It's like the flu. You can get the flu again even with a flu shot and even after having the flu.

I guess doctors are making decisions as they go.

First they said the tigers in the Bronx Zoo got the virus from a zoo keeper. Yesterday I heard the CDC say, you can't get the virus from an animal nor give it to your animal. So how have house pets gotten the virus?

I worry more about no one knowing what the hell they're talking about when it comes to this virus.

I just hope whatever vaccine they come up with, it works. Too many people have died already and it's not looking like it's going to stop anytime soon.

One doctor said we have to learn to live with this virus and I think she's right!

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well then you should discuss this with ProfessorPetrovsky, Professor of Medicine, vaccinologist. Should be quite a party, you and him together arguing this? Bottle of Prosecco and a few bread sticks, canapes and other middle class items on the table? 

I sat down earlier to a lovely platter of anchovy stuffed olives, sun dried tomato tapenade and octopus carpaccio. A snack like that could get the fuck kicked out of you on Teesside. :lol:  

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

I sat down earlier to a lovely platter of anchovy stuffed olives, sun dried tomato tapenade and octopus carpaccio. A snack like that could get the fuck kicked out of you on Teesside. :lol:  

Waitrose?

Open-air beer and now that: you are a man who is enjoying his lockdown.

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Waitrose?

Naturally. :lol: 

Just now, Dazey said:

Naturally. :lol: 

Well it could have been one of Iceland's ''500 piece platters for £4'' that Kerry Katona is so desperate for us to buy!