adamsapple

COVID-19 Outbreak

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You can have it and infect others without knowing it. I mean, you are so ignorant you probably don't know what your body is trying to tell you. 

Yeah, the news said people under 20 are the worse. Still going out and posting shit on the net. What the fuck?

You probably can be sick and not show signs yet. I bet some people can't afford to get to a doctor, but since the testing is free people need to see a doctor or go to a clinic. Unfortunately, some people don't go to doctors even if they are feeling sick, so you have that.

If everyone did as they were told, things would be better, but there's always a few who don't comply.

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Just had a text from my sister to say that my dad who's in his late 60's is paying close attention to all the advice but he's still going out for his darts night on a Monday and Thursday. :lol: 

My Dad doesn't recognise he's elderly (76) because he's active and involved in delivering meals on wheels locally for people much older than him. Despite mine and my sister's best efforts he's not complying with anything. I have managed in the last couple of weeks to persuade him to get some non perishable food in so small victories I suppose. We both live a couple of hours away so not a lot we can do.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. That would be the most sensible thing. Like this no one would feel left out, being punk'd be media, being victim to false fear and thinking 'Am I stupid for staying home, while everyone is out having fun.'. Shut that shit down and no one is conflicted. Same with concerts. But it really should go a step further and most jobs should be shut down/sent to work from home too. You shouldn't have to beg for it.

It's because then they don't have to offer any financial support, nor do the insurance companies, if the decision is left up to the business owners.  It's disgusting.

• Like 2

Just now, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Yeah, the news said people under 20 are the worse. Still going out and posting shit on the net. What the fuck?

Selfishness, carelessness, and ignorance. 

Everyone giddy that they are going around spreading the virus and endangering others can feel free to put me on block.

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Selfishness, carelessness, and ignorance. 

Yeah, it's the "me" generation. I guess because I'm older I know what can happen if you get sick or infect someone. 

It's just so scary right now. I understand people want to ignore this, but we can't and nor should we. This is very serious. Where are their parents? 

Anyway, I hope someone gets a handle on this because it will get worse before it gets better.

Stay well people. Try to help others if you can!

4 minutes ago, Axls Rocket Queen said:

It's because then they don't have to offer any financial support, nor do the insurance companies, if the decision is left up to the business owners.  It's disgusting.

I heard that but I’ve also read that most business interruption policies wouldn’t cover this scenario anyway as they’re mostly geared towards property damage. 

3 minutes ago, Axls Rocket Queen said:

Yeah. It is. Both stateside and companyside. In my company they've been throwing the term home office/tele working around, but no real information on who is allowed to do that. You basically have to beg them with them being able to simply deny it. I feel stupid having to ask for it (and then being denied) as I'm not really scared, but if there is a possibility to stay home I rather would. It feels pointless going to work in a time like this, when everything is shut down. They should offer it, to everyone who is interested/has a job that can be done from home.

I am working from home now. My daughter is off from school. My company gave me all the computers and monitors and even a printer. I'm glad to be working from home.

I know not everyone has the choice. 

I know all the world's economies are getting so bad. I'm afraid we won't be able to come back from this.

"The media has been very fair" - Trump

You may want to test him again :lol: that or we are really truly undoubtedly fucked.

• Haha 2

I just read on yahoo the actor Idris Elba has tested positive for the virus. I hope he'll be okay. He's a husband and a dad. It's scary when famous people get ill.

It still feels so unreal until you see the news and go to a store.

So many places will close because of this virus and the government might propose a curfew. 

1 minute ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. It is. Both stateside and companyside. In my company they've been throwing the term home office/tele working around, but no real information on who is allowed to do that. You basically have to beg them with them being able to simply deny it. I feel stupid having to ask for it (and then being denied) as I'm not really scared, but if there is a possibility to stay home I rather would. It feels pointless going to work in a time like this, when everything is shut down. They should offer it, to everyone who is interested/has a job that can be done from home.

I'm quite fortunate that my company is paying fully anyone who has to self quarantine (this was before the announcement today) so I'm okay, and we're a charity.  I feel bad though as there's only so much of my job I can actually do from home so I feel a bit useless while the vets who are in are run off their feet.  Though it will be interesting to see if they now try and put in place this contingency plan of a team living on site for 14 days :blink::lol:

• Like 1

I hate this wishy washy advice. I really feel for the owners of pubs, restaurants etc.. because now they have to decide whether to open or not. Do they buy their usual supplies in and end up throwing away when hardly anyone turns up? Do they ration and lose money that way when people do turn up? Or do they just shut up shop and hope they haven't gone bankrupt in a couple of months. The economic fall out for so many people is going to be dreadful. :(

• Like 2

Just now, alfierose said:

I hate this wishy washy advice. I really feel for the owners of pubs, restaurants etc.. because now they have to decide whether to open or not. Do they buy their usual supplies in and end up throwing away when hardly anyone turns up? Do they ration and lose money that way when people do our up? Or do they just shut up shop and hope they haven't gone bankrupt in a couple of months. The economic fall out for so many people is going to be dreadful. :(

I know I agree. It's bad enough waiters and waitress don't get paid minimum wage and have to work for tips and if restaurants close down how will they live?

Even if we all stay well, this virus will effect us in other ways. I have never seen anything like this. I don't think anyone has in their lifetime.

My grandparents lived during the depression and WWII and I don't think it was this bad for them.

In this day and age, we are all spoiled with everything we own and can get. With this virus limiting the way we live it'll stay with us long after it's over and done with. if it's over and done with?

6 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

"The media has been very fair" - Trump

You may want to test him again :lol: that or we are really truly undoubtedly fucked.

lol Yeah, what no fake news now? Hey let's see how Trump is feeling in two weeks. I don't want him ill, but you never know?

• Like 1

Does anyone actually know anyone who has had the thing? A few in self-isolation, myself included, because of probable seasonal flu on mygnr but no confirmed cases.

4 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I hate this wishy washy advice. I really feel for the owners of pubs, restaurants etc.. because now they have to decide whether to open or not. Do they buy their usual supplies in and end up throwing away when hardly anyone turns up? Do they ration and lose money that way when people do turn up? Or do they just shut up shop and hope they haven't gone bankrupt in a couple of months. The economic fall out for so many people is going to be dreadful. :(

I know, it's awful.  The huge amount of self-employed people will be hit hard too.  I know an awful lot of full-time performing artists who are having all their gigs cancelled and losing their income, it's scary

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Does anyone actually know anyone who has had the thing? A few in self-isolation, myself included, because of probable seasonal flu on mygnr but no confirmed cases.

I don't think we'll ever know, trouble is in the UK at least they're not testing unless you're severely ill in hospital.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I hate this wishy washy advice. I really feel for the owners of pubs, restaurants etc.. because now they have to decide whether to open or not. Do they buy their usual supplies in and end up throwing away when hardly anyone turns up? Do they ration and lose money that way when people do our up? Or do they just shut up shop and hope they haven't gone bankrupt in a couple of months. The economic fall out for so many people is going to be dreadful. :(

Yeah. Stores are allowed here (for now) to stay open during the week. But today a lot of chains announced they would close anyway, and more and more small stores too. They will suffer a lot financially, no doubt. Let's just hope all of that helps with the flattening of the curve. And hopefully people will start listening and stay inside. Today was the first day of no school and lots of kids were playing in playgrounds. They've closed them all off too. Because you can go outside, but you're not supposed to gather at all. You're supposed to stay within your family. So you can go out for a walk, but you still have to avoid other people and keep distance. You can't control that with kids, of course.

• Like 1

This is from the Guardian Live updates 

"An estimated 140,000 people have been laid off in Ireland since emergency measures to combat coronavirus were introduced four days ago, according to national broadcaster RTE.

This is a combination of 70,000 restaurant workers, 50,000 pub and bar staff, and around 20,000 crèche and childcare workers. it reported.

This is a huge shock to the economy and triple them monthly unemployment numbers in the 2010 crash and possibly gives a glimpse of the consequences to come if the UK’s follows EU countries and moves to close schools and introduce curfews on restaurants and bars.

The minister for social protection said they had 20,000 applications for benefits on Friday alone."

2 minutes ago, Axls Rocket Queen said:

I know, it's awful.  The huge amount of self-employed people will be hit hard too.  I know an awful lot of full-time performing artists who are having all their gigs cancelled and losing their income, it's scary

My sisters both share a flat in Streatham. One's a model and all her castings and shoots have been cancelled and the other works in event planning so they're both a little concerned about where next month's rent is coming from. I'm also concerned as I'm signed on as their guarantor. :lol: 

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for the solidarity to Italy.

This virus is orribile.

Stay safe and take care of your healt.

If you can, stay at home.

Go out only for work (if you can't work at home) or to buy food ecc.

Please...it's not a simile flu. 🙏

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

My sisters both share a flat in Streatham. One's a model and all her castings and shoots have been cancelled and the other works in event planning so they're both a little concerned about where next month's rent is coming from. I'm also concerned as I'm signed on as their guarantor. :lol: 

Ah not far from me!  Yeah uhh you might have a problem there :lol: 

Just now, Axls Rocket Queen said:

Ah not far from me!  Yeah uhh you might have a problem there :lol: 

It'll be alright they said. Nothing to worry about they said. :lol: It's a good job I'm getting a decent bonus this month is all I'm gonna say! :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Dazey said:

My daughter and her boyfriend have just bought their first house and move at the end of the month. I'm currently trying to persuade them to hold off on all planned renovations because they might need the money to live off. I don't know if it's sinking in. 

• Like 1

Just now, alfierose said:

My daughter and her boyfriend have just bought their first house and move at the end of the month. I'm currently trying to persuade them to hold off on all planned renovations because they might need the money to live off. I don't know if it's sinking in. 

Husband and I bought our place in November, I'm pretty essential staff at my work (once I'm out of quarantine :rolleyes:) but he's self employed...fortunately digital design and development so he can do everything remotely, we should be fine.  Scary times

• Like 1

Today a work booking got cancelled. It would have been enough to cover my rent. 

• Sad 3