adamsapple

COVID-19 Outbreak

3 minutes ago, UcudBmine said:

Exactly this. I live in Tilburg where the first confirmed patient was found, if I didn't know about the virus because I lived under a rock I wouldn't know there was anything wrong here. Funny thing is that the coffeeshops are the only "shops" that seem to act on it, they installed protective glass at the registers and ask you to desinfect your hands with handgel which they provide.

The rest, and especially the old farts over here don't seem to care all that much. Tho I have to say that Tilburg is known for it's stubborn and nonchalant locals. Especially the elderly.

I was in Tilburg last year for a pub crawl. I don't remember much of it!

But I'm starting to think it's a Dutch thing... we are just badasses... or real stupid. Hahaha.

But seriously, I think most people here are so down to earth that they don't take it too seriously. I see the same thing with my parents who are elderly too, they do everything they always do. I believe my mom went shopping this week. Maybe I should sit them down and give them a lecture. But I'm the same... I have to go to work too every day. I don't have the luxury to stay at home all day... I wish I could, though!

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I was in Tilburg last year for a pub crawl. I don't remember much of it!

But I'm starting to think it's a Dutch thing... we are just badasses... or real stupid. Hahaha.

But seriously, I think most people here are so down to earth that they don't take it too seriously. I see the same thing with my parents who are elderly too, they do everything they always do. I believe my mom went shopping this week. Maybe I should sit them down and give them a lecture. But I'm the same... I have to go to work too every day. I don't have the luxury to stay at home all day... I wish I could, though!

I can understand, I can't even work from home. We're closed and it looks like it will be for a few months if the virus keeps spreading like this :lol:I've been playing so many videogames that I'm now going through my old Nintendo 64 collection. 

I'm really bored.

Edit: Hahaha the pubs here suck man, so it's a good thing you don't remember much of it. I haven't gone there for a while, I switched to festivals after going to the same pubs for years. Crowds get younger each year, I don't <_<

Edited by UcudBmine
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Lio said:

In the meantime, in Florida...

If this virus isn't stopped soon Florida will flip to the Democrats for a generation cos all the GOP voters will be dead. :lol: 

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

My country is sorta doing the herd immunity thing, so basically people like me should get the virus and immune and therefore won't be able to infect the ones who are in real danger like the elderly and sick, who are the ones who should be in total isolation right now, and not the relatively young and healthy.

No?

Where are you from? I've always wondered...

I'm be of Argentina.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soon said:

Having side stepped everything I said, it should come as no surprise that you've all failed to convince me otherwise.

You have too much faith in the mankind  👍

Here they just announced money to retool industry to meet the needs of this crisis. Which came as a surprise to me since people have been informing me that industry cant be quickly retooled to meet the needs of a crisis.

Oh well, so now we can rest assured that after this we will be able to retool industry to see the climate crisis. :headbang:

I'm starting to think that we're wasting our time with containment and mitigation efforts.  

My cousin told me that where she lives (rural area near Lake Huron) there are people throwing Coronavirus parties, akin to the old chicken pox parties parents use to throw to get their kids infected with chicken pox so as to build an immunity from it.

There's just to much ignorance stupidity out there and I'm not sure our best efforts will overcome either.

Going forward I can see a different approach whereby non-essential travel is shut down immediately, testing is done to all incoming passengers or people who arrived in the country within the last seven days, and economic activity isn't ground to a halt while resources are spent protecting the most vulnerable through food and supply deliveries while everyone else goes about their day.  There will likely be more casualties than if everyone acted responsibly, but I just don't ever see that happening and hence policy needs to consider that fact and evaluate accordingly.  

4 minutes ago, soon said:

Here they just announced money to retool industry to meet the needs of this crisis. Which came as a surprise to me since people have been informing me that industry cant be quickly retooled to meet the needs of a crisis.

Oh well, so now we can rest assured that after this we will be able to retool industry to see the climate crisis. :headbang:

It's all public relations.  

Car companies have offered to retool to make respirators, but most industry experts thinks it's a fantasy and by the time they were actually able to do it the pandemic would be over.  

I feel like absolute arse today. :( Just ordered Doom Eternal and I'll play it too if I can get out of fucking bed! :lol: 

1 hour ago, UcudBmine said:

Edit: Hahaha the pubs here suck man, so it's a good thing you don't remember much of it. I haven't gone there for a while, I switched to festivals after going to the same pubs for years. Crowds get younger each year, I don't <_<

My friend lives there and that's why we went out. It was alright, but after ten beers everything is fun, you know?

As for being bored, I've heard many complain about that this week, but I could be in quarantine at home forever without getting bored. There's so much to read, watch, music to listen to and guitar playing to be done. I'm bored to tears at work, that's why I post here, but there's so much to keep myself entertained with at home!

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, downzy said:

It's all public relations.  

Car companies have offered to retool to make respirators, but most industry experts thinks it's a fantasy and by the time they were actually able to do it the pandemic would be over

Dang. Well given they are getting some public coin, hopefully at minimum they still half-ass it enough to learn how to retool in the near future.

Thats ignoring the fact that experts of current industry have obvious factors encouraging them from speaking for changes, of course.

Edited by soon

Just a reminder:

The Doctor Who Helped Defeat Smallpox Explains What's Coming

https://www.wired.com/story/coronavirus-interview-larry-brilliant-smallpox-epidemiologist/?fbclid=IwAR1PY80miIkdkU0ZA-vxBvuki3RVAK2zGl23dOsMQUJSyKBdNocjN1T0ewo&fbclid=IwAR3fFkiqRB5w7ZestOi38t3RAAawMP6CJY4TgMEc_TTuDcs2itqQ25yzq-M&mbid=social_facebook&utm_brand=wired&utm_medium=social&utm_social-type=owned&utm_source=facebook

And for my American friends:

"Trump pushed out the admiral on the National Security Council, who was the only person at that level who's responsible for pandemic defense. With him went his entire downline of employees and staff and relationships. And then Trump removed the [early warning] funding for countries around the world."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

I feel like absolute arse today. :( Just ordered Doom Eternal and I'll play it too if I can get out of fucking bed! :lol: 

me too, bro. it's two days of fever here, going as high as 39.8 °C. 

I think it's a flu though. no breathing problems, and massiive headache which seems like common symptom with flu.

there's also moments where fever goes down, and the first thing I do is fire up my nintendo switch. then I get cold shivers and I think "oh dear, here we go again"

everyday I hope I won't develop breathing problems. the hours, minutes creep along slowly, like honey from pamela anderson's boob

I see that there's not too many Latin America brothers here. I'm going to give you guys a little review of what we're expecting here in Brazil.

We're already in about 700 cases and 7 deaths, but we're not testing everyone and there's more than 12k suspect cases and lots of deaths under investigation.

All cities and states are trying to do their best to beat it. I live in São Paulo City and our city and state just declared emergency state, what give us the chance to buy without to much burocracy. We're under not decreted quarentine, but all malls, schools, stores, public meetings, beachs etc are closed. The only things that aren't closed: churchs, airports, ports (yet) and essential services. We have already overcrowded hospitals, and there are some people that isn't respecting the social distancing. There are markets where the hand sanitizers are sold off because there is people stocking it (by stocking it, i mean, buying more than like 20 units. There's a video where a lady in a market is buying 5 closed box with more than 60 units just for her and his husband). Of course, now they're limiting it to 2 or 3 per person.

Our president, his family and his ministers (almost all of them) are saying that this is mass histerya and there's no need to panic. Of course, there's no need to. But we're not putting money on this war. Bolsonaro just said that all flights from some countries aren't allowed to enter here in Brazil, BUT he is allowing USA flights, even tho is the second country with more infecteds. There's not being done from the president. All the measures are coming from cities and states.

I'm from home office since last week, and there's no expected date of return. I'm home with my parents who are both 60+ and i'm going out just for food and medicines. I'm also having anxiety crisis because my girlfriend is still working (she wasn't allowed to homework until now) and I'm afraid that she or someone in her family caughts covid-19.

We expect to enter in forced quarentine next week, in São Paulo at least.

• Like 3

Boris just told all the pubs to close tonight and not open tomorrow. Can't wait to see the Daily Mail tomorrow when half of the UK go on the lash tonight for one last big one! :lol: 

57 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Boris just told all the pubs to close tonight and not open tomorrow. Can't wait to see the Daily Mail tomorrow when half of the UK go on the lash tonight for one last big one! :lol: 

Did you see the BBC broadcast from Leicester Sq that had the guy wandering around in background wearing a plague style crow mask? :lol:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Or they are just stupid cretins who try to hoard all the shit paper for themselves.

Or they just try to limit the times they have to run to the store, which makes sense when you try to isolate yourself. All this judging without really knowing is a bit stupid.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Or they just try to limit the times they have to run to the store, which makes sense when you try to isolate yourself. All this judging without really knowing is a bit stupid.

Not an excuse where I live, we have home delivery. 

You know there's an opportunity here

It's been too long since we took the time
No-one's to blame, I know time flies so quickly

Love the ones your with, you have the time.

Saw the news with people from China taking off their masks and smiling and dancing in the streets. So is the virus contained in China? Is this for real because Italy and the rest of the world are still fucked!

I know the drug for malaria seems to be working on the virus, but I doubt this will go away totally any time soon.

I'm getting very annoyed now. Not just for myself but for everyone who is being effected by this virus.  Sick of being inside and my daughter getting behind in her school work.

And if this is true about China I'm really pissed because how can they be so damn happy when people all over the world are still dying? WTF?

Stay well people and try not to go as crazy as I am feeling now.

11 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Saw the news with people from China taking off their masks and smiling and dancing in the streets. So is the virus contained in China? Is this for real because Italy and the rest of the world are still fucked!

I know the drug for malaria seems to be working on the virus, but I doubt this will go away totally any time soon.

I'm getting very annoyed now. Not just for myself but for everyone who is being effected by this virus.  Sick of being inside and my daughter getting behind in her school work.

And if this is true about China I'm really pissed because how can they be so damn happy when people all over the world are still dying? WTF?

1) Sort of.  They still haven't lifted stay at home orders in many parts of China.  And until the rest of the world has a handle on the problem, there's always a risk of infected people coming into China causing additional outbreaks

2) Trump's claim that a drug for treating Malaria hasn't been proven.  

3) It's only been a week.  There are many weeks and likely months to come

4) You'll likely be happy when the problem in your area is dissipating.

5) Stay well yourself!

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

If I run out off bog roll the I'll just pop into neighbours spa pool

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Right. Because you are the norm for how it has to be? It's easier to buy your shit yourself than relying on somebody to deliver it to you.

Posted (edited)

Just saw this: https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-20-20-intl-hnk/h_6489650d4ae8d865c505bc36c138b1ea

624 people died in just 24 hours in Italy.

The total death toll worldwide is now 11,000. That means 5.6% of the deaths from this virus’ history were all in one day, and in one country...

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Sad 1

To the Dutch guys here not being worried and noticing nothing of the epidemic: according to our news Holland's hospitals  in one region are overcrowded and can't treat emergencies anymore, so the army has been deployed to transport sick people to other parts of the country.

Maybe it's time more Dutch people started to take this seriously.

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I would be hesitant to believe anything that comes out of China as it seems obvious that the CCP has a death grip around information currently coming out of the country. We've had instances of not only individual citizens and a high-profile businessman who have been critical of their government, disappearing, but expelling American journalists as well does not bode well for the proliferation of credible information.

My personal belief is that the numbers the CCP provided the rest of the world aren't a true representation of the crisis dealt with, and that's why it isn't quite lining up with the rest of the world.