POLL: Will Guns N Roses release ANY new music?

Will Guns N’ Roses release any new music?  

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

32 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Oh...I hear ya. I'm a huge physical media guy. I hope it never dies, but I feel like it's a losing battle. 

Agreed. It's an interesting subject. I think it's only a matter of time until physical media will go the way of the dodo. Not just music. (not just media but that's irrelevant) Microsoft wanted to do it with their Xbox 360 but gamers hated that shit cause maybe the market wasn't ready so they did a 180 on that.

internet connection is gonna be so fast and reliable that it will be too convenient to resist for most people. There is a lot of room for streaming services to evolve and maybe 30,40, 50 years from now I think there's a good chance the music industry/streaming services will find a better model so artists will get paid more. Even comparable in a way to how it was before Napster came along and changed everything cause the internet is not gonna be like the wild west forever.

my guess is that eventually laws will be made and enforced in such a way that it will be possible to sell millions of copies of individual songs digitally but it will actually mean something cause enough artists will be able to do that. (much better algorithms will need to exist but they're always working on that shit so even finding what you like will be faster and much easier.

Edited by Rovim

9 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Agreed. It's an interesting subject. I think it's only a matter of time until physical media will go the way of the dodo. Not just music. (not just media but that's irrelevant) Microsoft wanted to do it with their Xbox 360 but gamers hated that shit cause maybe the market wasn't ready so they did a 180 on that.

internet connection is gonna be so fast and reliable that it will be too convenient to resist for most people. There is a lot of room for streaming services to evolve and maybe 30,40, 50 years from now I think there's a good chance the music industry/streaming services will find a better model so artists will get paid more. Even comparable in a way to how it was before Napster came along and changed everything cause the internet is not gonna be like the wild west forever.

my guess is that eventually laws will be made and enforced in such a way that it will be possible to sell millions of copies of individual songs digitally but it will actually mean something cause enough artists will be able to do that. (much better algorithms will need to exist but they're always working on that shit so even to find what you like will be faster and much easier.

We’ll all eventually pay for the type of content we consume through our internet service providers. Our data limits will be capped and those streaming services will be bundled to match the cost of a cable bill 

As far as physical copies, that Ozzy total is prob the success bar for 1st week sales. That’s what it is these days. Now if you're UMG, how the hell do you pay GNR their advance that was negotiated in a prior industry environment based on those numbers?

That’s my guess what the issue is here when they say they don’t know how to release it. GNR wants that $ and UMG doesn’t feel comfortable recouping that amount with a traditional release plus streaming revenue. 

The contract probably needs to be renegotiated. Let’s see if TB earns their keep if their artist wants a release 

Edited by guitarpatch

31 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

We’ll all eventually pay for the type of content we consume through our internet service providers. Our data limits will be capped and those streaming services will be bundled to match the cost of a cable bill 

As far as physical copies, that Ozzy total is prob the success bar for 1st week sales. That’s what it is these days. Now if you're UMG, how the hell do you pay GNR their advance that was negotiated in a prior industry environment based on those numbers?

That’s my guess what the issue is here when they say they don’t know how to release it. GNR wants that $ and UMG doesn’t feel comfortable recouping that amount with a traditional release plus streaming revenue. 

The contract probably needs to be renegotiated 

I imagine it could be a way more streamlined approach, a simpler way to get as much information and services that share similarities through more and more virtual world laws that people will have no choice to abide by and eventually get used to and embrace.

you need to make it not worth it for people to steal while making it easy and comfortable as well to buy the shit legally while also keeping the price attractive and the transaction safe but  it's doable imo. It's not just one company or country that will have control over it and it will be a global thing except maybe China and third world countries at least at first.

as for Gn'R: I agree that because the band's goal is possibly different, they can't just do a standard release and just hope for the best cause it's unlikely they'll get their desired outcome and the contract could prove to be an obstacle like you've mentioned, but you let the lawyers do their thing. The band also must have the right product to push and I'm guessing we're not even close to the finish line when it comes to the music.

Edited by Rovim

2 minutes ago, BadApples87 said:

Nope.  Bands don't make money on new music.  They make money on tour.  There's still more milking to do after this year's tour.  They will downshift to arenas and amphitheaters for the next several years.

Yeah I could see this being the last stadium run unless something BIG happens in the next few years.

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

People said the same thing about CD and they released it. 

And it sucked. I mean really sucked. 

You completely pulled the rug from under your argument in that last paragraph, which basically said "Yep, it's possible... just don't really have a clue if it'll happen... but by saying this I am right either way" It's either one or the other, no pigs flying BS.

I'm right either way in the sense that GnR has turned into a soulless moneymaking machine and there's no reason to bother anymore unless you're really dead set on donating money to the Team Brazil Early Retirement Funds. There's a miniscule microscopic chance that this shitshow will release something just so they can keep touring and milk it some more. And just like Chinese Democracy it would be too little too late. CD should have come out in or before 2003. Much like this album they're supposedly working on are song written 20 years ago for an album intended 15 to 20 years ago. Since then they've been ruined by overproduction, overthinking, re-re-re-re-recording and constantly being worked on by people who had nothing to do with them in the first place. 

\Writing off the record before you hear it always makes you sound super smart.

Actually not being a dellusional idiot makes me sound super smart. 

You have the same amount of info on what songs would be on a new record, so I don't know how you could have critiqued them already "the leaks!!!" yep, those were 20yrs old, and for all we know they will be used, but they could easily be in the  thrash can now too.

I'm sure you're right. They'll add a stunning new cover to Hard School and Atlas. 

Edited by username

1 hour ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

gnr is a joke at the moment, just a rip off nostalgia act.

1- BRING IZZY AND STEVEN BACK AND BE THE PROPER GNR.

2- RELEASE NEW MUSIC

if you dont do these you are a joke. FUCK YOU!

You are right: With Izzy and Steven on board they will be far away from any nostalgia ...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sofine11 said:

Remember that two week period in, like, January where we thought we might just actually be on the cusp of something cool?  That was fun. I miss that. 

Wasn't that like in 2018 and it was an Appetite remaster? Or am I losing my mind?

1 hour ago, scooby845 said:

Wasn't that like in 2018 and it was an Appetite remaster? Or am I losing my mind?

I think we figured that the first show of the 2020 tour (which happened in January) would be the start of something new since this year’s tour was being marketed as “the next chapter.”

2 hours ago, username said:

And it sucked. I mean really sucked. 

I'm right either way in the sense that GnR has turned into a soulless moneymaking machine and there's no reason to bother anymore unless you're really dead set on donating money to the Team Brazil Early Retirement Funds. There's a miniscule microscopic chance that this shitshow will release something just so they can keep touring and milk it some more. And just like Chinese Democracy it would be too little too late. CD should have come out in or before 2003. Much like this album they're supposedly working on are song written 20 years ago for an album intended 15 to 20 years ago. Since then they've been ruined by overproduction, overthinking, re-re-re-re-recording and constantly being worked on by people who had nothing to do with them in the first place. 

Actually not being a dellusional idiot makes me sound super smart. 

I'm sure you're right. They'll add a stunning new cover to Hard School and Atlas. 

Ah you know what, you're a ray of sunshine. Keep on doing what you're doing😃

17 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

A double-album would be a good solution to mixing old and new and also making up for lost time and the currently-small back catalog, as you put it. The problem tho is economic feasibility. Single-disc albums barely sell well these days, let alone a double-album! I suppose one solution could be to do two albums at once, like they did with UYI. Fuck, they could even go full nostalgia-bait with it and call it UYI 3 and 4, I guess! Or maybe have the CD leftovers as a digital-only “bonus” disc... idk. Something like that. There are options, here. The question is whether or not the band and the label have been reviewing any of these options.

Good point, unsure how much double albums retail for nowadays, I believe Stadium Arcadium was about £18 back in the day?

I'd hate for that Chinese material to be listed as a bonus disc though, all of those years working on material to be thrown in as an extra would be pretty insulting to the players during those years IMO.

17 minutes ago, username said:

Thanks. People often find a sense of realism to be depressing. 

Here are reasons why I think we will get a new record at some point:

- Lots of music exist, it wouldn't be to start from scratch.

- All players involved have expressed an interest in releasing new music.

- Slash has confirmed they have worked on new music.

- jarmo seems to think it will happen.

- Fernando said it would happen.

And here are some reasons to think it won't happen:

- The band seems entirely content just touring.

- Axl is notoriously difficult to work with.

- A new record would likely not be a huge success in this time and market.

I am okay with people concluding either way, but referring to others as idiots for their conclusion is just childish. It must be possible to be cautiously optimistic without being referred to as a "delusional idiot", and also to think that it won't happen without that meaning that you sound "super smart". 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am okay with people concluding either way, but referring to others as idiots for their conclusion is just childish. It must be possible to be cautiously optimistic without being referred to as a "delusional idiot", and also to think that it won't happen without that meaning that you sound "super smart". 

Sorry man. But at this point, based on experience, believing in this band is irrational madness. But then again I suppose love isn't based in rationalism. 

Also I do like taking the piss just a little bit with the super smart part. 

Edited by username

3 minutes ago, username said:

Sorry man. But at this point, based on experience, believing in this band is irrational madness. But then again I suppose love isn't based in rationalism. 

Also I do like taking the piss just a little bit with the super smart part. 

Yeah, no hard feelings from me, I was more worried how you'd look ;)

Anyway, looking at the list of pros and cons from my previous post, I would say it is entirely possible to argue that believing in a new music is absolutely rational. Here's another way to look at it for us old-timers: We waited for Use Your Illusions, and it came. We waited for The Spaghetti Incident!?, and it came. We waited for Chinese Democracy, and it came. If anything, going through long frustrating periods with confusion and exasperation, before new music comes, is exactly what Guns N' Roses do. Of course this doesn't mean we will get another record, at some point this trend can be broken, but I can't blame people for being optimistic (nor for being pessimistic) all things considering.

12 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Anyway, looking at the list of pros and cons from my previous post, I would say it is entirely possible to argue that believing in a new music is absolutely rational. Here's another way to look at it for us old-timers: We waited for Use Your Illusions, and it came. We waited for The Spaghetti Incident!?, and it came. We waited for Chinese Democracy, and it came. If anything, going through long frustrating periods with confusion and exasperation, before new music comes, is exactly what Guns N' Roses do. Of course this doesn't mean we will get another record, at some point this trend can be broken, but I can't blame people for being optimistic (nor for being pessimistic) all things considering.

Funny thing about SI, i dont ever remember seeing any reporting that the band were working on what was SI, a covers album.

I feel that CD was released only because the record company wanted it out there not because axl did.

Edited by Sydney Fan

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Probably not much worse than I usually do. :lol: 

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, but in fairness there were 2 years between Lies and UYI, 2 between UYI and TSI. Then there was a big 15 year gap to CD. I'll be generous and take 1998 as a realistic starting point for CD. Which makes it a 10 year gap. For an album that had all the potential in the world if it'd come out somewhere between 1999 and 2003. The Village demo's are absolutely amazing. But the album, big disappointment for me. And now we're on a 12 years and counting gap. For an album that most likely will involve material that originated in the late 90's and which had already gotten a lot worse in 2008.  I really did enjoy seeing them in 2017. But other than that the band, their management and particularly this tour seem like a giant moneygrab. The merchandise is a joke in itself. And TB is even worse. It pisses me off to the point that I definitely won't be spending any more of my money on what they're doing. Slash isn't playing half as well as when I saw him with VR and with Myles. And Axl isn't exactly getting better either. Considering CD was a huge letdown from what it could have been and since then we're 12 years further with the band being what they are.... yeah I'm still definitely not optimistic about this abum. Not about it seeing the light of day, and even then not about it being good.