Will Guns cancel the 2020 shows due to COVID-19? Update: tour has been paused

29 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

What?! 

It's not 'fake news' at all. COSTA RICA HAS BEEN CANCELLED. 

Who is claiming GNR cancelled the show? 

What on earth do you mean by 'keep moving the goalposts'? What goalposts are we moving?! People are talking about shows being cancelled by the coronavirus - something WHICH IS HAPPENING. 

I'm not too sure why you insist on arguing that this isn't happening. 

Say it louder

Everything is going on as planned. The rest of the tour is happening the fake news is that the whole tour is gonna go down which it is not

3 hours ago, nikothebellic said:

That's what GnR thinks about the subject. 

"Zap the son of a bitch again!" :lol:

(Drs masks and GnR reminds me of Coma. That line is all I can think of when I see this image)

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I think it would be on the organizers of Lolla themselves to cancel, right? Not any of the bands involves? I can see Lolla Brazil, Chile, and Argentina all getting canceled, but the rest of the band’s SA dates going forward as planned. Who knows, tho!

Yeah I agree. Feels distasteful. It’s like the band is saying “hey everybody! Watch out for coronavirus! Also, remember Appetite?! Remember?!”

Organizers and Bands have nothing to do here, is the government who’s cancelling all massive events. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

I can see festival organizers canceling (like SXSW), especially if many bands in the lineup start voluntarily canceling tour dates.

Yeah, I think that's the issue- and its the same with tours. At what point does a tour become not worth doing? No one wants to send a band out on a tour where dates are likely to be cancelled around them. 

On 3/8/2020 at 12:33 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

Countries are on lockdown, concerts and events are being cancelled left and right and a few thousand people have died so far, but it’s only media driven hysteria, right?

If you put it into perspective with other common illnesses, yes, it is media driven hysteria.  Just get widespread testing in place and test people that show symptoms.  If they test positive, have them isolate until they test negative.  No need for going crazy.

I'm going to come off as an a$$ for saying this but, given the data on the demographics of people experiencing a high mortality rate (elderly with serious underlying medical issues, elderly and people with serious underlying medical issues), many of these people would have died from another illness or cause within a year or two anyway.  People in their 80s that are in a nursing home (a high percentage of US fatalities) don't exactly have a long projected life span anymore.

Severely damaging the world economy to "save lives," especially when the total number of deaths pale in comparison to the yearly flu outbreak, is irresponsible.  People will end up dying of starvation in developing countries due to the economic damage.  These deaths will include young people and children.  It isn't out of the realm of possibility that more people end up dying due to poverty created by the reaction to COVID-19 than would die if we did nothing and just let it run rampant throughout the world.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

Just said that due to 9 confirmed cases of coronavirus all massive events from march 10 are canceled...they don't say what will happen with GNR concert

What are they going to do when they have 18 cases?  Shut down the country?

5 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

especially when the total number of deaths pale in comparison to the yearly flu outbreak, is irresponsible.  People will end up dying of starvation in developing countries due to the economic damage.  These deaths will include young people and children.  It isn't out of the realm of possibility that more people end up dying due to poverty created by the reaction to COVID-19 than would die if we did nothing and just let it run rampant throughout the world.

Just a reminder, this is at LEAST 3-6X worse than the VERY worst normal flu outbreaks (and that is based on south Korea's numbers, which look the best given they have tested huge numbers of people now). If things keep going at this rate, it will easily outkill any normal flu season, probably by multiple of times come the end of this thing. Also, way to early to judge what this will do in terms of total numbers...its like claiming a normal flu season will be weaker than normal on 31st October.

Anyway, as GnR, I suspect at least the 1st half of this EU tour is looking highly at risk now, hopefully we will be on the downward swing by that time, but I suspect any ban on large gatherings likely will still be in place in May, though hopefully we will be looking at this through the read mirror.

Edited by koldbeer2

Just now, koldbeer2 said:

Just a reminder, this is at LEAST 3-6X worse than the VERY worst normal flu outbreaks (and that is based on south Korea's numbers, which look the best given they have tested huge numbers of people now). If things keep going at this rate, it will easily outkill any normal flu season, probably by multiple of times come the end of this thing. 

Anyway, as GnR, I suspect at least the 1st half of this EU tour is looking highly at risk now, hopefully we will be on the downward swing by that time, but I suspect any ban on large gatherings likely will still be in place in May, though hopefully we will be looking at this through the read mirror.

South Korea currently has 7478 confirmed cases, 53 deaths, 7259 active cases and 36 in serious/critical condition according to worldometers.info.  That means the serious/critical percentage of active cases is 0.496%.  Currently the mortality rate stands at 0.7%.  This is likely to increase but also likely to stay below 1%.  The main driver of the mortality rate being worse than the flu is the rate among elderly, people with underlying health conditions and being in both categories.

That's why I say that the reasonable response is to test people so that they can be isolated and hopefully not infect the  most vulnerable people.  These crazy lockdowns aren't really effective unless you are a totalitarian regime that can force people to stay inside their home even if they aren't sick.  Italy has been doing lockdowns and they seem to have the least control of any country right now.  It just isn't worth the economic damage vs. the lives saved doing it this way vs. a more sane approach of trying to isolate people that are infected and keep the most vulnerable people either isolated as much as possible or extremely vigilant in avoiding sick people.

Somebody who is 80 shouldn't go to a concert right now.  Somebody that is healthy in their 30s or 40s shouldn't be banned from doing so via bans on gatherings.  Possibly do temperature screening to bar people with fever from the venue.

I'm not saying nothing should be done to try and slow the spread and minimize the deaths.  I'm saying we need to have a sane and measured response that balances the good with not doing major harm in other areas.  The members of GNR aren't going to suffer if they have to cancel shows.  The working class stage hands, security people, concession workers, ticket takers, etc. will suffer from these cancellations.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

Somebody who is 80 shouldn't go to a concert right now.  Somebody that is healthy in their 30s or 40s shouldn't be banned from doing so via bans on gatherings.  Possibly do temperature screening to bar people with fever from the venue.

I think the problem is those 30-40 year olds (I fit into that range, just!) then go and see their parents/grand parents and could pass it on before they show any symptoms, or travel on transport with people who are at risk, etc. Everything works in concert and there is nothing in isolation.

It is real difficult though to call, I suppose in the end it comes down to economy vs lives and what you think is more important to your current situation.

Edited by koldbeer2

12 minutes ago, koldbeer2 said:

I think the problem is those 30-40 year olds (I fit into that range, just!) then go and see their parents/grand parents and could pass it on before they show any symptoms, or travel on transport with people who are at risk, etc. Everything works in concert and there is nothing in isolation.

It is real difficult though to call, I suppose in the end it comes down to economy vs lives and what you think is more important to your current situation.

The asymptomatic transmission has been stated by experts to not be happening on a large scale.  The head of the WHO specifically contrasted it against the flu where that does happen in either a press conference or interview a few days ago.