Jump to content
AxlRoseCDII

Will Guns cancel the 2020 shows due to COVID-19? Update: tour has been paused

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

I would take any bet because I know it's happening.

Ok. One toiletpaper roll and a facemask. You got it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The show in Ecuador (which was next in line after the cancelled Costa Rica show) has also been cancelled. Starting to look like the only show Guns will be hitting is Mexico this Saturday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GNRfanJen said:

The show in Ecuador (which was next in line after the cancelled Costa Rica show) has also been cancelled. Starting to look like the only show Guns will be hitting is Mexico this Saturday. 

What’s so special about this Mexico show that the band is so insistent on holding onto it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are they flying out when it is evident nothing will occur, and everything indeed is getting cancelled as we speak? I am perplexed at this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

That's a big one for me - it's putting people in a situation where they've bought tickets for something that they may not want to risk going to, which seems very unfair. And who can blame them for not wanting to go? 

It's hard to tell if it's a world wide overreaction or if we're doing the right thing.  Taking big hits on not making money but if folks don't come you're losing anyway.  And if we do spread the virus, even more money and lives are being lost.  I say it's a gamble at this point, not a sound business practice.  GNR is probably going to turn around and come home.  Wait it out and see which way the wind is blowing before looking at when they can go out again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

doesn't sound like the kind of promotion I imagine Axl will want a Guns album to have. With Chinese he seemed bitter about the way it got released so he did pretty much nothing to promote it for a year, but with Slash and Duff he could get more support from the label. Why would they settle on a shit promotion like that? limited in it's scale and reach?

The NILT tour had just ads and weird spots, the whole promotion was around the buzz and Axl didn't bother to give a single real interview besides the one with Brazil's Globo TV from all places (where he would sell well enough already).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why are they flying out when it is evident nothing will occur, and everything indeed is getting cancelled as we speak? I am perplexed at this.

Maybe the band and crew just feel like vacationing in Mexico for a weekend! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an interesting side-angle on all this, I just spoke to my Mum, who is a singer in a choir. They have a concert booked in for a couple of weeks time in which they're bringing in an organ player, who's cost quite a bit of money. They had a meeting today about the need to cancel it, and while everyone involved wanted to cancel it, they couldn't actually afford to. If they did they would have to pay the organ player, as well as refund the tickets, something which they simply can't afford. 

Essentially their plan is to wait (and hope) that it will be cancelled for them- in which case they're not obliged to pay the organ player, simply refund the tickets. So they're holding on, and will cancel it nearer the time if needs be. It's an interesting one, and I wonder how many bands are doing similar to this? 

The difference of course though is that GNR COULD afford to cancel these shows themselves, but I thought it did throw an interesting light on things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cineater said:

It's hard to tell if it's a world wide overreaction or if we're doing the right thing.  Taking big hits on not making money but if folks don't come you're losing anyway.  And if we do spread the virus, even more money and lives are being lost.  I say it's a gamble at this point, not a sound business practice.  GNR is probably going to turn around and come home.  Wait it out and see which way the wind is blowing before looking at when they can go out again.

Very hard to tell. As I mentioned above, I wonder if them going out is a lot about "well, we did what we were obliged to do in terms of the contract by being willing to play....." even though they have little expectation they will be doing so? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How this tour is still in place is beyond me.

Until we get a further handle on the outbreak, it's the height of irresponsibility to hold large-scale events like concerts.  Whether it be the promoter or the band itself, someone needs to step up and do the right thing.  

 

  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

As an interesting side-angle on all this, I just spoke to my Mum, who is a singer in a choir. They have a concert booked in for a couple of weeks time in which they're bringing in an organ player, who's cost quite a bit of money. They had a meeting today about the need to cancel it, and while everyone involved wanted to cancel it, they couldn't actually afford to. If they did they would have to pay the organ player, as well as refund the tickets, something which they simply can't afford. 

Essentially their plan is to wait (and hope) that it will be cancelled for them- in which case they're not obliged to pay the organ player, simply refund the tickets. So they're holding on, and will cancel it nearer the time if needs be. It's an interesting one, and I wonder how many bands are doing similar to this? 

The difference of course though is that GNR COULD afford to cancel these shows themselves, but I thought it did throw an interesting light on things. 

It's a good point. I was about to travel to Barcelona to go to the Mobile World Congress back in February. 

They wanted to cancel it as soon as January, but the Barcelona administration refused to call the Public Emergency safety. That would be the only way for the MWC to get their costs covered by insurance. 

Edit: it eventually got cancelled. It was one of the first major events to be shelved. 

Edited by Voodoochild
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuck it. GN'R to play all through CD l and ll in Mexico this Saturday as their one and only stop this tour (at least, for now). 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

As an interesting side-angle on all this, I just spoke to my Mum, who is a singer in a choir. They have a concert booked in for a couple of weeks time in which they're bringing in an organ player, who's cost quite a bit of money. They had a meeting today about the need to cancel it, and while everyone involved wanted to cancel it, they couldn't actually afford to. If they did they would have to pay the organ player, as well as refund the tickets, something which they simply can't afford. 

Essentially their plan is to wait (and hope) that it will be cancelled for them- in which case they're not obliged to pay the organ player, simply refund the tickets. So they're holding on, and will cancel it nearer the time if needs be. It's an interesting one, and I wonder how many bands are doing similar to this? 

The difference of course though is that GNR COULD afford to cancel these shows themselves, but I thought it did throw an interesting light on things. 

Yeah that’s most likely the approach GnR is taking. Only canceling shows if they absolutely need to. At this point, tho, only six shows remain, and the two remaining Lolla shows are likely to get canceled soon too, which would make it only four shows for this tour with a three week gap in between the first two and the last two... is that even practical? Is the band seriously gonna play just two shows, fly back to the states for a few weeks, and then fly back to Latin America again for just two more shows? Doesn’t sound practical to me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

The NILT tour had just ads and weird spots, the whole promotion was around the buzz and Axl didn't bother to give a single real interview besides the one with Brazil's Globo TV from all places (where he would sell well enough already).

true, but we are talking about an ideal scenario here, not what Axl did. Besides, as you maybe have guessed already, not really the same thing: a Gn'R tour with Slash after 20 years of not being in the band didn't really need to be properly promoted. You are selling nostalgia basically. A new album with a good single and a huge promotion will make a big difference imo. Even if the name "Guns N' Roses" is on the album you still need as many people to know about it and you can reel them in with interviews, commercials, radio, internet. All kinds of shit. That's why many artists are still doing it.

I care way more about it getting released, not as much how well it will do, I just don't think your suggestion is something Axl will even consider to go with.

Edited by Rovim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah that’s most likely the approach GnR is taking. Only canceling shows if they absolutely need to. At this point, tho, only six shows remain, and the two remaining Lolla shows are likely to get canceled soon too, which would make it only four shows for this tour with a three week gap in between the first two and the last two... is that even practical? Is the band seriously gonna play just two shows, fly back to the states for a few weeks, and then fly back to Latin America again for just two more shows? Doesn’t sound practical to me!

If they pull out themselves though, it would make them responsible for the cancellation...and the repercussions of that may be more severe and impractical than flying out and doing nothing for most of the time. I'm not sure how it all works. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

If they pull out themselves though, it would make them responsible for the cancellation...and the repercussions of that may be more severe and impractical than flying out and doing nothing for most of the time. I'm not sure how it all works. 

Pearl Jam took the hit for the safety of their fans, tho. Just sayin’...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rocknroll41 said:

Pearl Jam took the hit for the safety of their fans, tho. Just sayin’...

Oh yeah, same with The Who, Santana, etc etc.  Don't get me wrong here - I don't approve at all of taking the money over all else route here. I'm of the view that they SHOULD cancel at this point. Just trying to reason why they're flying out with all these cancellations. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Boris has spoken (UK PM) and we do nothing...maybe we could become the touring capital of the world...

So damned frustrating!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rovim said:

true, but we are talking about an ideal scenario here, not what Axl did. Besides, as you maybe have guessed already, not really the same thing: a Gn'R tour with Slash after 20 years of not being in a band didn't really need to be properly promoted. You are selling nostalgia basically. A new album with a good single and a huge promotion will make a big difference imo. Even if the name "Guns N' Roses" is on the album you still need as many people to know about it and you can reel them in with interviews, commercials, radio, internet. All kinds of shit. That's why many artists are still doing it.

I care way more about it getting released, I just don't think your suggestion is something Axl will even consider to go with.

I wasn't suggesting, it was just a "what if" scenario. It wasn't ideal by any means because the context is the coronavirus. That's why I said it would be a good thing to have a minimalistic and safe approach for the band itself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DurhamGirl said:

Well Boris has spoken (UK PM) and we do nothing...maybe we could become the touring capital of the world...

So damned frustrating!

Some interesting scientific-expert evidence put forward for the UK reaction in fairness. Time will only tell which country has gotten it correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, downzy said:

How this tour is still in place is beyond me.

Until we get a further handle on the outbreak, it's the height of irresponsibility to hold large-scale events like concerts.  Whether it be the promoter or the band itself, someone needs to step up and do the right thing.  

 

According to our great leader (UK PM) large gatherings like concerts will not make much difference so Guns can come here as often as they like!

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Some interesting scientific-expert evidence put forward for the UK reaction in fairness. Time will only tell which country has gotten it correct.

This is true..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×