Why does Axl invoke such strong feelings?

It's really just intangible. He has so many things about him that generally fascinate people. Obviously, his musical talent is first. He has an insanely unique, even polarizing voice. He has the kind of voice that people just connect with. And it was the perfect voice to deliver that music to the world. A perfect marriage. He has the kind of voice that just reaches into your soul. And he has always been magnetic when it comes to him being a front man and showman. His dance moves, his swagger, his various styles through the years. He's just the kind of guy that draws your attention and that you can't look away from. The other part is his legend and persona. I remember being younger in the late 80s and early 90s, everyone was fascinated with every move he made. Whether it was his various arrests and trials and fights and riots, he was everywhere. At that time, he was on the level of Michael Jackson and Madonna, as far as being a part of the pop culture zeitgeist. Then of course, him disappearing kept his legend alive, and the interest has never went away really. 

14 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

The word 'enigma' keeps coming up and I would agree with this although my knowledge is second hand as i wasnt around 87-93.  We dont get to know very much about him so the reclusive aspect makes for some kind of 'mystique'.    Cult of the personality, interesting.  I also wonder if there is a difference in opinion between the men and women.

I was born in '87 so I don't really remember them being on top. But to me it seems like he wasn't seen as an enigma until after '93. Definitely an interesting personality but not reclusive.

I honestly think Axls biggest mistake was keeping the Guns name. People would have supported an Axl solo album with the 2001 band. It would have been unique in its own way. Guns could have reunited when the time was right. 

Keeping the name brought a lot of hate his way. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TiedHands said:

It's really just intangible. He has so many things about him that generally fascinate people. Obviously, his musical talent is first. He has an insanely unique, even polarizing voice. He has the kind of voice that people just connect with. And it was the perfect voice to deliver that music to the world. A perfect marriage. He has the kind of voice that just reaches into your soul. And he has always been magnetic when it comes to him being a front man and showman. His dance moves, his swagger, his various styles through the years. He's just the kind of guy that draws your attention and that you can't look away from. The other part is his legend and persona. I remember being younger in the late 80s and early 90s, everyone was fascinated with every move he made. Whether it was his various arrests and trials and fights and riots, he was everywhere. At that time, he was on the level of Michael Jackson and Madonna, as far as being a part of the pop culture zeitgeist. Then of course, him disappearing kept his legend alive, and the interest has never went away really. 

out of likes

• Like 1

He self mythologized. Like all the greats. And that mythology has some intense iconography as well. Few, if indeed any others, have cemented their image in history by running around huge stages wearing nothing but sweaty cyclist shorts, boots and over sized socks. Screaming and sweating.

I must admit that I dont know what it is that he plugged into in the masses psyche though. I suspect its that he was a rebel who arrived at the tale end of a very conservative period. 

Rags to riches makes him a hero to many. Bigotry makes him reviled by many. Barring that Im a fan and will therefore nerd out on all things Guns, I don't personally find him all that compelling. :shrugs:

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I honestly think Axls biggest mistake was keeping the Guns name. People would have supported an Axl solo album with the 2001 band. It would have been unique in its own way. Guns could have reunited when the time was right. 

Keeping the name brought a lot of hate his way. 

This.....

• Like 1

On 4.3.2020 at 11:25 PM, sofine11 said:

I remember hearing about how in 2011 Tom Cruise was waiting around backstage to meet Axl.  How many A list celebs drop what they're doing and stare when someone walks in the room?  That's what Axl does.  He's a complete nutty nut, but man does he have "it".

I bet he wanted to learn him the ways of the church of scientology. From one nut to another.

• Haha 1