Best and Worst Axl/GNR Covers

What are your top and bottom 3 covers from Axl and/or GNR?  The rules are they have to be covers that were never recorded in studio by the band (so no Spaghetti, LALD, etc.).

Top 3

1) Free Fallin'

2) Salt of the Earth

3) The Seeker

Worst 3

1) Black Hole Sun

2) We Will Rock You

3) Come Together

I like the think that back in Axl's prime he could sing any rock genre song and make it better than the original.  BHS is obviously him not in his prime, but the other two songs just don't do it for me for some reason.  On paper you think they would though.  Axl's version of Free Fallin' is peak Axl, though.  Doesn't get much better than that.

There are certain kinds of songs GnR do well, unfortunately no one ever told em what those songs were.  So here's me, Billy Nobody, ready to ponficate to professional musicians who have been doing this shit for a living for a quarter of a century :lol:

Americana basically, rock n roll, country, that kind of stuff sounds good coming out of Guns n Roses, particularly when Izzy is involved cuz he's the best rhythm man they ever had.  Stuff like Dead Flowers, Jumping Jack Flash, even Heartbreak Hotel, it didn't sound awful coming out of them, though obviously it ain't a patch on the original.  Whole Lotta Rosie sounded great coming out of them.  Riff heavy music.  Music with a groove.  But they need Izzy for it.  And even Steven really, that clunky Matt Sorum 80s stadium drum sound don't do em no favours when it comes to covers and that.

GOAT: Sailing

Honourable mentions: Dead Flowers, Mama Kin, Wichita Lineman (I take the piss with it a lot, but the band truly sound phenomenal on it), Don't Let It Bring You Down

Worst: I Feel Good, The Seeker (great song, it's run it's course for me though. Axl sounds great on it), Tie Your Mother Down, We Will Rock You, Back In The USSR

All off the top of my head. I'd throw Live and Let Die in the mix with the worst, but at this point, it's a staple along with KOHD. 

No ones following the rules! They cant have recorded it in studio was a rule! :lol::axl92::slash:

Best:

Wichita Line

Whole Lot of Rosie

Its Alright

Worst:

Black Hole Sun

Slither 

Dont Let It Bring You Down (And I love that song!)

Edited by soon
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, soon said:

No ones following the rules! They cant have recorded it in studio was a rule! :lol::axl92::slash:

Best:

Wichita Line

Whole Lot of Rosie

Its Alright

Worst:

Black Hole Sun

Slither 

Dont Let It Bring You Down (And I love that song!)

I really like Wichita, too.  I especially like how they GNR-ified it once the drums kick in.

• Like 1

Why no love for we will rock you? I think it's good (if not great). All 4 songs on Freddy Mercury concert is awesome imo. But in another concert (wembley 92?) Axl sang 'tie your mother down' and it sounds not so great (maybe cz of some vocal problems)

My worst is 

Come together

Slither

Black hole sun

Edited by Zinia_29