GNR Harlem Apollo 2017-07-20 All Day TODAY on SiriusXM Channel 30

35 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

I was there - total blast of a show that I couldn't believe we 3 hours.

I was bummed to hear his voice sans rasp on the broadcast when I relistened though.

Personal plug: I hope they're using the fan interviews outside.

That's the old thing isn't it? He sounds great when you're in the middle of it all. Which, in my view, matters far more than the recordings. 

There's only been a few shows where things have been so poor that being there looked shit (Berlin stands out as one example....) 

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Fuckin' hell, the Harlem Apollo...that place is like fuckin' Mecca for me.  If you only knew (and I'm sure many do) of the fuckin' feet that have trod them boards. 

I walked past it once for the same reasons, but it looked like a shithole from outside. I'm sure it's lovely inside, though.

23 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I walked past it once for the same reasons, but it looked like a shithole from outside. I'm sure it's lovely inside, though.

I’d kinda expect it to be a shithole, its kinds like historic pubs, if they’ve done it out like some modern convenience they wouldn’t really be the same thing.

43 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I’d kinda expect it to be a shithole, its kinds like historic pubs, if they’ve done it out like some modern convenience they wouldn’t really be the same thing.

Exactly, CBGB'S is a perfect example along with the Hollywood south of Memphis.  I went to the Hollywood and it was this little place in the middle of nowhere but was awesome.

Just now, lame ass security said:

Exactly, CBGB'S is a perfect example along with the Hollywood south of Memphis.  I went to the Hollywood and it was this little place in the middle of nowhere but was awesome.

CBGBs closed a few years ago didn't it? But disgraceful that that was allowed to happen, given it's history. 

6 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

CBGBs closed a few years ago didn't it? But disgraceful that that was allowed to happen, given it's history. 

Yeah I think it's a designer clothes shop now. I never went but it looks cool on the photos. 

Let's hope the Crobar in Soho survives. They're ripping the place to pieces to build fancy apartments. I saw the building work last summer and was too close for comfort. They want to rip the soul out of Soho for shit expensive places to live and plastic cocktail bars

58 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I guess I'm a spoiled European, I expect legendary places to be larger than life with beautiful architecture and what not. But I almost didn't even recognize it... it's like a three-story building and nothing special. (from outside, I couldn't go inside unfortunately)

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor apollo new york

31 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I guess I'm a spoiled European, I expect legendary places to be larger than life with beautiful architecture and what not. But I almost didn't even recognize it... it's like a three-story building and nothing special. (from outside, I couldn't go inside unfortunately)

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor apollo new york

Nah, I expect it to be what it is, I mean the Dockery Plantation, despite being one time home to every bluesman from Robert Johnson, BB King, Howlin Wolf, Charlie Patton, Bukka White, Muddy Waters etc, its still just gonna be an old Delta plantation when you get there.  Remember, Harlem was a shithole in them days, you can’t go there expecting the Albert Hall though to me it’d be every bit as awe-inspiring.

47 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Nobody gives a fuck about some dive that The Ramones etc had played in, not when there’s cash on the line, property prices being what they are in places like NYC, they’ll placate nostalgic old punkers with a road name or something but no ones gonna lose cash over that shit.

11 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Nah, I expect it to be what it is, I mean the Dockery Plantation, despite being one time home to every bluesman from Robert Johnson, BB King, Howlin Wolf, Charlie Patton, Bukka White, Muddy Waters etc, its still just gonna be an old Delta plantation when you get there.  Remember, Harlem was a shithole in them days, you can’t go there expecting the Albert Hall though to me it’d be every bit as awe-inspiring.

Nobody gives a fuck about some dive that The Ramones etc had played in, not when there’s cash on the line, property prices being what they are in places like NYC, they’ll placate nostalgic old punkers with a road name or something but no ones gonna lose cash over that shit.

Very true. 

Same attitude in the UK really isn't it? Get it bulldozed and get some hideous flats for thick students built. Maybe stick a Costa Coffee at the bottom so poor sods caught in the 'gig economy' can pretend they're happy pecking at their laptops in the window. 

I listened to most of it last night. Although I keep up with Guns n' Roses through this forum, I realized that, outside of the show I saw in 2016 and the occasional YouTube clip, I really hadn't heard a full Axl performance in a long time. I was prepared for the worst, but was pleasantly surprised by how good it sounded. the band sounded absolutely incredible and in tune with each other. If I remember correctly, this was at the height of "Frank fucks up the songs" mania, but he sounded good to me. Just some random thoughts I had. Note that I started listening on Estranged: 

• If you took out the talk box section, the Rocket Queen jam was not nearly as long as boring as I remembered. Unfortunately, the talk box took it to "just a little to much" for me, but still enjoyed the song. 
  • Was surprised at how much the "New Rose" cover got me pumped. When I saw them previously, Duff played "Raw Power" when I saw them in 2016, and I'd never heard the current lineup play "New Rose." Band killed it, and it sounded much better and more energized than the version on The Spagheti Incident. 
  • I can get behind most of Slash's solos on Chinese Democracy songs, but he really seems to phone it in on "This I Love." Honestly, and I cannot believe I'm saying this, but I thought DJ Ashba's version of the solo he played from 2011-2014 suited the song better. Slash's solo reminded me of that footage in the Metallica video where you see Kirk Hammett's first attempt at the solo for "The Unforgiven:" technically impressive but lacking any soul. 
  • I had completely forgotten the band dusted off "Yesterdays" every now and again, so I had an actual fun moment of not realizing what song was being played until Slash started playing. 
  • "Coma" would be the only song that I would say Axl sounded truly bad on, but understandable. That one killed him in 1991/1992. That being said, hearing the song without all the cheesy sound effects and dialogue was really cool. 
  • The "Johnny B. Goode" bit grew tired, but nothing beats Slash seamlessly going from his guitar solo into "Sweet Child O' Mine."
  • The "Wish You Were Here" improv goes on WAY too long, and Slash overplays the hell out of it. The "Layla" jam gave me shivers though. 
  • Band killed "Whole Lotta Rosie," but Axl (technically the current AC/DC singer) sounded like he was struggling. This was the only other part of the show where I'd say Axl sounded pretty rough. 
  • I understand why the band played "Black Hole Sun." At that point Chris Cornell's death was still raw, but definitely not the best cover they've done (although I dug Dizzy's piano intro). 
  • No reason, absolutely no reason, why "The Seeker" should ever be on a Guns N' Roses set list.

Overall, I'd say it was an A- show. I realized what it felt like to just be a "normal" Guns N' Roses fan. When you put all of your nitpicking and comparisons aside, it's a tight band with chemistry and Axl sounds good for his age. Also, if you put performances of these songs next to any performance from 2010-2014, the chemistry and energy from the band cannot even be compared. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

So was anyone able to record it?

The Caram remix of the show has been available for a while now.

The thing is that it was recorded from SXM satellite, which has excellent quality but not as good as the webstream. It’s just for collecting purpose, the boot that was shared years ago is good enough. Good stuff.

1 hour ago, TheDemocracyRose said:

Damn! Sad that we cant hear it outside US. 

GNR should stream a concert just like Springsteen just did...

A lot of artists are using this situation to do some really cool things for their fans online. GNR will not do that of course. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

A lot of artists are using this situation to do some really cool things for their fans online. GNR will not do that of course. 

Yeah - it’s what we would call ‘an open goal’....you really can’t fail to get good vibes from doing this stuff and it could be done with literally no effort.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 4:37 AM, rockphantom said:

While Axl's "mickey vocals" are in full force, at least the Harlem 2017 re-broadcast is of the rarely heard Caram Costanzo "remix", which aired a few times, several months after the original live performance.

I was at the show and was also at the hammerstein 2006 shows.  the apollo was an unreal experience and an unreal performance.  And I will say this: someone could listen to the recording and play the Axl "mickey" vocal game... but its bullsh*t.  he was a freakin giant that night.  plenty of rasp and full on top vocal performance.  its too easy to dissect live vocal recordings these days ...plenty - even the good ones - arent high quality.  if you were there, you know.

28 minutes ago, vail2004 said:

I was at the show and was also at the hammerstein 2006 shows.  the apollo was an unreal experience and an unreal performance.  And I will say this: someone could listen to the recording and play the Axl "mickey" vocal game... but its bullsh*t.  he was a freakin giant that night.  plenty of rasp and full on top vocal performance.  its too easy to dissect live vocal recordings these days ...plenty - even the good ones - arent high quality.  if you were there, you know.

Recordings don’t somehow remove Axl’s rasp. I’ve been to NITL 3 times and 3 more times with NuGNR and you can easily tell if Axl is sounding like shit or not. In your case it should be even more obvious because you saw prime 2006 Axl.

Listen to any SBD recording and then AUD recordings recorded from the venue, from the same show, and you’ll notice that Axl sounds exactly the same on both. 

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, WildStar said:

Yeah I think it's a designer clothes shop now. I never went but it looks cool on the photos. 

Let's hope the Crobar in Soho survives. They're ripping the place to pieces to build fancy apartments. I saw the building work last summer and was too close for comfort. They want to rip the soul out of Soho for shit expensive places to live and plastic cocktail bars

The CBGB is now occupied by designer John Varvatos. He has kept some of the original vibe and decor from CBGB. That whole area today is one gigantic eye roll. Used to be the epicenter of grit, punk and fuck the man. Now it’s all high end retail. Can’t get any further away from punk than that. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Recordings don’t somehow remove Axl’s rasp. I’ve been to NITL 3 times and 3 more times with NuGNR and you can easily tell if Axl is sounding like shit or not. In your case it should be even more obvious because you saw prime 2006 Axl.

Listen to any SBD recording and then AUD recordings recorded from the venue, from the same show, and you’ll notice that Axl sounds exactly the same on both. 

This this this. Over and over again X1000. Anyone who doesn't get this is bananas. 

52 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

So much this. Recordings are better quality than ever. I don't understand how people in 2020 still try to use the recording quality excuse. It works both ways - nobody was saying the 2016 videos or AXL/DC recordings sounded like shit (because they didn't).

• Like 1