When did Axl lose his musical and performing drive?

DurhamGirl

He had it back from 2006 to 2010, and for a brief moment when he was with AC/DC, but for the most part he lost it after 2010. Not getting to release Chinese Democracy on his own terms, or any of the rest of the music, and it not doing well seemed to have broken something in him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chevelle said:

He had it back from 2006 to 2010, and for a brief moment when he was with AC/DC, but for the most part he lost it after 2010. Not getting to release Chinese Democracy on his own terms, or any of the rest of the music, and it not doing well seemed to have broken something in him.

Yep. It seems kind of logical that when he's listening to himself crystal-clear in his monitors and he sounds like 2010 that he's gonna feel pretty bad-ass and when he's listening to weak-ass falsetto, not so much. In the years you mentioned, but especially 2010, he had the presence and swagger of vintage Axl. Add in the other factors like you mentioned and you get two different Axls. 2001-2002 was a different thing altogether where he had the energy of old Axl but not the confidence and, although his voice was much stronger, the clean voice vs 2010 is not going to bring the same side out. Plus he's got the whole braids, jerseys and sneakers gimmick.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

in the most recent Guns show I thought he still delivered. His drive is still there. People change with time so maybe young Axl could not even consider forgiving Slash. Still, why would Slash bring his most Gn'R sounding guitar to Axl's house? is it to restore his drive?

I think half a billion $ is a lot of money so he didn't say no cause the demand was crazy and he's still very precious about his music but when the right incentive presents itself I believe he's still capable of rising to the occasion like he did with Angus in 2016.

so I think they'll work on a new album but Axl will largely be the one that dictates the approach. The 3 of them are tight now so it's probably gonna help a lot. They have a shared goal and whatever the sound and specific style Axl chooses is gonna be more accepted cause Slash and Duff can balance it out with the classic Gn'R sound. Pretty big incentive to make it happen and end it on a high note. It's not over yet.

This post is beautiful.

• GNFNR 1

25 minutes ago, IrishgunnerII said:

well either they are good actors or the backstage stuff we've seen they seem to have gotten past all the crap which is good for us fans and good for them. Axl seems happier anyway. 

it seems to me that they were able to get together and play together and do whatever it takes to put the touring machine into work

and that seems to be all

i dont see any evidence that they are tight

please correct me if i am mistaken

the very limited, very controlled and probably very staged backstage scenes that were shown to the  fans seems to be nothing but photo ops

from wikipedia =A photo op (sometimes written as photo opp), short for photograph opportunity (photo opportunity), is an arranged opportunity to take a photograph of a politician, a celebrity, or a notable event.[1]

The term was coined by the administration of US President Richard Nixon. William Safire credited its coinage to Bruce Whelihan, an aide to Nixon Press Secretary Ron Ziegler. Ziegler would say Get 'em in for a picture, and Whelihan would dutifully announce to the White House press room, There will be a photo opportunity in the Oval Office.[2]

The term has acquired a negative connotation, referring to a carefully planned pseudo-event, often masqueraded as news.[3] It is associated with politicians who perform tasks such as planting trees, picking up litter, and visiting senior citizens, often during election cycles, with the intent of photographers catching the events, generating positive publicity.

or publicity stunts

A publicity stunt is a planned event designed to attract the public's attention to the event's organizers or their cause. Publicity stunts can be professionally organized, or set up by amateurs.[4] Such events are frequently utilized by advertisers, and by celebrities who notably include athletes and politicians.

Organizations sometimes seek publicity by staging newsworthy events that attract media coverage. They can be in the form of groundbreakings, world record attempts, dedications, press conferences or organized protests. By staging and managing the event, the organization attempts to gain some control over what is reported in the media. Successful publicity stunts have news value, offer photo, video and sound bite opportunities, and are arranged primarily for media coverage.[5]

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, ludurigan said:

you reckon that is true? any evidence of that?

yeah, I believe so. I don't have evidence to support my opinion but it's just some stuff Duff said in his second book, knock knock jokes, some things Slash said, and the way they behaved together on stage and off from the little we had a chance to see.

Edited by Rovim

8 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

Being new to the band I am watching videos from back in the day and am really taken aback at the 'two Axls'', back then and now.  When did this happen and why?

I would suggest that Axl doesn't just get over things or give up, otherwise the NITL would've been a lot shorter, money or not (if you think otherwise, think about how long it took Axl to "forgive" Slash, the NITL tour and possible succeeding albums would've made huuuuuuge amounts of money in 2006-10, with everyone still in their prime). 

I just think the guy is near 60. It's hard to be the same Axl anymore. Izzy might be the only guy who hasn't changed that much, from 1991 on he's probably been close to the same guy. Also is your name in reference to Durham, NC? Cool place if it is

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

it seems to me that they were able to get together and play together and do whatever it takes to put the touring machine into work

and that seems to be all

i dont see any evidence that they are tight

please correct me if i am mistaken

the very limited, very controlled and probably very staged backstage scenes that were shown to the  fans seems to be nothing but photo ops

Ah yes. Axl, Slash and Duff are all conspiring us into thinking they've stopped hating each other.

All those backstage photos and clips of them all getting along? Total fabrications. Acting.

All the interviews where Slash and Duff have spoken about how great things are with Axl now? Liiiiieeeeees!

How hard is it for some people to believe that damaged relationships can be repaired? There's not some big plot to fool us all. Axl, Slash, and Duff do seem to be genuinely getting on with eachother. Getting obscene amounts of money for appearing onstage together probably helps, too.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MildlyArtistic said:

Ah yes. Axl, Slash and Duff are all conspiring us into thinking they've stopped hating each other.

All those backstage photos and clips of them all getting along? Total fabrications. Acting.

All the interviews where Slash and Duff have spoken about how great things are with Axl now? Liiiiieeeeees!

How hard is it for some people to believe that damaged relationships can be repaired? There's not some big plot to fool us all. Axl, Slash, and Duff do seem to be genuinely getting on with eachother. Getting obscene amounts of money for appearing onstage together probably helps, too.

they can be in enough good terms to be able to play together and do small talk in the backstage for enough time that their photo is taken and for videos to be recorded while they seem to have amicable conversations

that is completely different from being tight

the different reports and quotes about axl working on music separately from the other guys indicates that

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

yeah, I believe so. I don't have evidence to support my opinion but it's just some stuff Duff said in his second book, knock knock jokes, some things Slash said, and the way they behaved together on stage and off from the little we had a chance to see.

yeah i got to tell you that i didnt watch many videos of them onstage so i can not say much about how they behaved together onstage

from what i saw there was very little interaction specially comparing to the gnr era but i could very well be wrong cause i must have seen just 1% of the footage that you saw

(i basically watched all the covers that they hadnt played before like whicita lineman, black hole sun, the james brown cover etc and i watched the songs that they havent played in the axl era like coma, locomotive, dead horse etc but that was about it)

i also didnt read duffs second book so you definitely have more info than me on this

18 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

they can be in enough good terms to be able to play together and do small talk in the backstage for enough time that their photo is taken and for videos to be recorded while they seem to have amicable conversations

that is completely different from being tight

the different reports and quotes about axl working on music separately from the other guys indicates that

Axl reportedly working on music separately is hardly proof positive that they aren't good friends again. 

Just now, ludurigan said:

i know what you mean and i never said it was a proof, i say that it indicates that they are not tight

Thats the thing it doesn't indicate anything. Axl rose isn't someone who interacts with other members of GNR when they aren't on tour. Like axl said in the forum chats he did, the "rolling stone aren't bowling every week" meaning just because they aren't interacting with each other doesn't mean they aren't tight. 

And as others have said it can't all be money either because if the money was the main driver then they'd have reunited way sooner than they did. 

• Like 3

I really wonder what happened between December of 2010 & October of 2011. Night and day, really.

That said, especially after hearing the leaks of 2000 Intentions and everything else, you can really see that Axl, indeed, had a vision and was actively recording.

I think he lost a lot of steam after dealing with record company interference, band members leaving, producers making him overdub everything, the press being vicious at times, tons of lawsuits, etc. 

• Like 1