When did Axl lose his musical and performing drive?

DurhamGirl

4 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

In 2009-2010 Axl punched a paparazzi, delayed shows for over two hours, attacked a MYGNR moderator in an extremely profane rant, released a "fuck TMZ" press release, got pissed off at the V8 Supercars show for daring to release a possibly fake quote saying he would have a blast at the show (LOL), cancelled the tour on Twitter, refused to leave the stage at Reading, walked off stage in Dublin, ect. My theory is the leeches became afraid Axl was going to bring the whole thing down and insisted he start taking medication.

I forgot the "Fuck TMZ" thing. :lol:

2010 really was the last year of "Classic Axl", in voice/performance and in general attitude. The guy did whatever he wanted, and acted like he was untouchable, because he was still the greatest frontman on the planet. Nobody else would've pulled that shit at Reading festival then cancelled their tour on twitter. :axl:

He also apparently disbanded GNR more than once in 2010, or at least tried to disband them, so your last sentence makes a lot of sense.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

In 2009-2010 Axl punched a paparazzi, delayed shows for over two hours, attacked a MYGNR moderator in an extremely profane rant, released a "fuck TMZ" press release, got pissed off at the V8 Supercars show for daring to release a possibly fake quote saying he would have a blast at the show (LOL), cancelled the tour on Twitter, refused to leave the stage at Reading, walked off stage in Dublin, ect. My theory is the leeches became afraid Axl was going to bring the whole thing down and insisted he start taking medication.

your theory is far fetched imo. "insisted"? forgive me but what was the ultimatum there? I can't think of any leverage TB might have on Axl that will be worth it for them to even try.

Besides, people on medication with a career like Axl's, which requires a certain level of decision making and to function and communicate like he does (not with us fans though) are not mindless zombies that can be easily manipulated like you're describing here. It's not like in the movies and even if Axl is on psychoactive drugs, I seriously doubt anyone tells him what to do or made him do it.

He joked about this in that interview he did with Duff (how Beta and the gang control him) I don't believe it.

Edited by Rovim
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Beta threatened to leave Axl if he didn't make her the manager.

He should've called her bluff.

why? he can always fire her so he must be satisfied (or under the control of those 2 evil geniuses) and I was specifically talking about a hypothetical ultimatum that involves his behavior and psychoactive medication as a solution and a condition to stay/keep working for him.

Surely not the same thing as "threatening" Axl to leave if he didn't make Beta his manager.

Edited by Rovim

10 minutes ago, Rovim said:

why? he can always fire her so he must be satisfied (or under the control of those 2 evil geniuses) and I was specifically talking about a hypothetical ultimatum that involves his behavior and psychoactive medication as a solution and a condition to stay/keep working for him.

Surely not the same thing as "threatening" Axl to leave if he didn't make Beta his manager.

It's not that she necessarily needed 'leverage' to get Axl to take meds or anything, but her relationship with Axl is obviously unique, and she has an influence on him that other managers or hangers-on don't have. If there's anyone who could convince Axl to do something, or change what he was doing, it's probably Beta.

4 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's not that she necessarily needed 'leverage' to get Axl to take meds or anything, but her relationship with Axl is obviously unique, and she has an influence on him that other managers or hangers-on don't have. If there's anyone who could convince Axl to do something, or change what he was doing, it's probably Beta.

but how do we know the extent of her influence on him? a lot of assumptions are being made here, which is fine, but we don't actually know if Axl is even on medication? we know he calls Beta his mother and that they're close.

Like I've said before in response to @ShadowOfTheWave, I don't believe they insisted on it. That's why I used the word "ultimatum". I think they're protective and maybe he likes it that way. I doubt anyone from the Gn'R camp is even capable of manipulating Axl so even if they convinced him to be medicated, there is no way in hell he didn't agree to it while fully understanding what that would mean.

once psychoactive drugs start to kick in, it's not like the person is more easily controlled so it wouldn't serve any sinister agenda anyway and it's not necessarily a negative thing if Axl needs it. (which I don't believe he does but I don't know the man)

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Thats the thing it doesn't indicate anything. Axl rose isn't someone who interacts with other members of GNR when they aren't on tour. Like axl said in the forum chats he did, the "rolling stone aren't bowling every week" meaning just because they aren't interacting with each other doesn't mean they aren't tight. 

And as others have said it can't all be money either because if the money was the main driver then they'd have reunited way sooner than they did. 

well i disagree with that

and a lot of reports said axl was attracting less and less people to the shows before the reunion and it was HIS initiative to make the thing happen so...

5 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

I would suggest that Axl doesn't just get over things or give up, otherwise the NITL would've been a lot shorter, money or not (if you think otherwise, think about how long it took Axl to "forgive" Slash, the NITL tour and possible succeeding albums would've made huuuuuuge amounts of money in 2006-10, with everyone still in their prime). 

I just think the guy is near 60. It's hard to be the same Axl anymore. Izzy might be the only guy who hasn't changed that much, from 1991 on he's probably been close to the same guy. Also is your name in reference to Durham, NC? Cool place if it is

Yes it is:lol:

2 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

He certainly had a busy year!  What happened with Reading and TMZ?

7 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

He certainly had a busy year!  What happened with Reading and TMZ?

At Reading, Axl had gone over curfew in 2002 and the organizer warned him they would pull the plug if he did it again. He showed up late despite the warning, they pulled the sound, and he refused to leave the stage and sang from a bullhorn.

Axl was pissed off in early 2010 at the press for several things and released this diatribe: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-frontman-hires-kiss-manager-slams-mean-spirited-a-holes/, this being the quote in question: 

"So in closing...Fuck the LA Times, TMZ, Contact Music n' Spinner. I don't need 'forgiven' for alleged n' fabricated nonsense. I've no respect for mean spirited aholes gettin' paid talkin' shit at other's expense or irresponsible biased partisan politics wanna be journalism by dated hacks. Go on! Back ur boy! But when he says he never killed no one that ain't exactly true. Yeah, that's right, stone cold. So if we happen to play your neighborhood or for that matter anywhere at anytime regardless of the circumstances, presales, public sales, give aways, even free shows consider yourself uninvited. It's a free country but you're formally n' publicly not welcome.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave

8 hours ago, ludurigan said:

it seems to me that they were able to get together and play together and do whatever it takes to put the touring machine into work

and that seems to be all

i dont see any evidence that they are tight

please correct me if i am mistaken

the very limited, very controlled and probably very staged backstage scenes that were shown to the  fans seems to be nothing but photo ops

from wikipedia =A photo op (sometimes written as photo opp), short for photograph opportunity (photo opportunity), is an arranged opportunity to take a photograph of a politician, a celebrity, or a notable event.[1]

The term was coined by the administration of US President Richard Nixon. William Safire credited its coinage to Bruce Whelihan, an aide to Nixon Press Secretary Ron Ziegler. Ziegler would say Get 'em in for a picture, and Whelihan would dutifully announce to the White House press room, There will be a photo opportunity in the Oval Office.[2]

The term has acquired a negative connotation, referring to a carefully planned pseudo-event, often masqueraded as news.[3] It is associated with politicians who perform tasks such as planting trees, picking up litter, and visiting senior citizens, often during election cycles, with the intent of photographers catching the events, generating positive publicity.

or publicity stunts

A publicity stunt is a planned event designed to attract the public's attention to the event's organizers or their cause. Publicity stunts can be professionally organized, or set up by amateurs.[4] Such events are frequently utilized by advertisers, and by celebrities who notably include athletes and politicians.

Organizations sometimes seek publicity by staging newsworthy events that attract media coverage. They can be in the form of groundbreakings, world record attempts, dedications, press conferences or organized protests. By staging and managing the event, the organization attempts to gain some control over what is reported in the media. Successful publicity stunts have news value, offer photo, video and sound bite opportunities, and are arranged primarily for media coverage.[5]

I don't know, did you see Slash's girlfriend recording Slash warming up and then put of nowhere Axl decided to come into slash dressing room? She stopped filming straight away as it definitely wasn't planned.

I don't thi k they are going on group holidays together, but I can't see many bands doing that. They talk they exchange texts and whatnot, I don't think it needs to be much more than that, these guys have families so being g a gang isn't priority. I don't really know though. I do know that Axl is not good actor so when he doesn't want to do something he is terrible at pretending.

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

but how do we know the extent of her influence on him? a lot of assumptions are being made here, which is fine, but we don't actually know Axl is even on medication? we know he calls Beta his mother and that they're close.

Like I've said before in response to @ShadowOfTheWave, I don't believe they "insisted" on it. That's why I used the word "ultimatum". I think they're protective and maybe he likes it that way. I doubt anyone from the camp is even capable of manipulating Axl so even if they convinced him to be medicated, there is no way in hell he didn't agree to it while fully understanding what that would mean.

once psychoactive drugs start to kick in, it's not like the person is more easily controlled so it wouldn't serve any sinister agenda anyway and it's not necessarily a negative thing if Axl needs it. (which I don't believe he does but I don't know the man)

Of course we don't know the full extent of their relationship, or Beta or her family's influence. It's all speculation. You're probably right in that they're protective and he likes that, but it's also possible that Axl's emotional fragility allowed him to be manipulated. We don't know. :shrugs:

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't know, did you see Slash's girlfriend recording Slash warming up and then put of nowhere Axl decided to come into slash dressing room? She stopped filming straight away as it definitely wasn't planned

yeah i remember that one, hardly staged!

unless they are professional liars

you know, the type of liar that releases live album with fake crowd noise, live albums with vocals redone in studio, that kind of liar :rofl-lol:

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't thi k they are going on group holidays together, but I can't see many bands doing that. They talk they exchange texts and whatnot, I don't think it needs to be much more than that, these guys have families so being g a gang isn't priority. I don't really know though. I do know that Axl is not good actor so when he doesn't want to do something he is terrible at pretending.

oh yeah i agree with you

not so sure about axl acting abilities

i think he can act if he wants or needs to act to achieve something

just like the rest of us

17 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

yeah i remember that one, hardly staged!

unless they are professional liars

you know, the type of liar that releases live album with fake crowd noise, live albums with vocals redone in studio, that kind of liar :rofl-lol:

oh yeah i agree with you

not so sure about axl acting abilities

i think he can act if he wants or needs to act to achieve something

just like the rest of us

Jesus, that's a lot of bands from Kiss, Thin Lizzy on :P 

I don't doubt there's some "quick get the camera, and smile!!" moments :D 

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

yeah i know

wasnt it gene that said you fake till you make it, or was it someone from poison?

funny thing about those retouched live albums is that most of them sound great. there is one lizzy album though, called "life", that you can notice it right away that its been rerecorded

i cant stand live era though, specially because axl replaced his regular illusion voice with his late 90s clean voice that he had NEVER ever used on the illusion era, its just too much for me, but i digress hehehehe

59 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

just read a book on lizzy and they actually had a professional liar as their press guy, the guy would come up with lot of stories to keep phil and the boys in the news, or to remove them from bad coverage when it was needed. never understood why axl has never done a lizzy cover, they are just brilliant. i am pretty sure Gnr must have at least tried it at some point 1985'1991

Edited by ludurigan

2 hours ago, ludurigan said:

yeah i know

wasnt it gene that said you fake till you make it, or was it someone from poison?

funny thing about those retouched live albums is that most of them sound great. there is one lizzy album though, called "life", that you can notice it right away that its been rerecorded

i cant stand live era though, specially because axl replaced his regular illusion voice with his late 90s clean voice that he had NEVER ever used on the illusion era, its just too much for me, but i digress hehehehe

I agree in general, I much, much prefer a live album to be live. I do love some of the tracks on Live era though! 

Ha! I'll have to look up that Lizzy book, what's the name? I'd love to hear gnr doing Don't believe a word, that Song has Slash written all over it, not sure which song would suit Axl the most but I'm sure there's one!

10 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I believe he got on meds around that time too. His whole demeanor changed, he suddenly gained a lot of weight, and he seemed to lose a lot of the fire and drive that made Axl, well, Axl. That said, he does seem to be in a lot better headspace these days, and I'm happy he's got his shit sorted out enough to be at peace with himself and the rest of the band as far as we can all tell.

1 hour ago, chevelle said:

I believe he got on meds around that time too. His whole demeanor changed, he suddenly gained a lot of weight, and he seemed to lose a lot of the fire and drive that made Axl, well, Axl. That said, he does seem to be in a lot better headspace these days, and I'm happy he's got his shit sorted out enough to be at peace with himself and the rest of the band as far as we can all tell.

others have said it - axl is straight up crazy - therefore he probably did take meds for sure after that period and in and around the 90s half way through illusions tour 

i would say he maybe went off those meds in last few years and smokes a lot of weed to chill his emotions and with them munchies gained even more weight