Appetite for Distortion - Quarantined with Doug Goldstein | Ep. 181

@Gambit83 Yes, I second that question. More specifically, I would ask Doug if he ever had talks with Axl about his voice from 1994-2004. Even ask about how his voice was so raspy and like a chainsaw in 91. Doug may be willing to share some awesome thoughts and stories. That is, as long as Doug is cool with this topic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’d have been asking what he has heard about new material being in place! 😂

Really interesting to know his thoughts tho on how to approach the touring - i.e. - a couple of ep’s. I think we would all be fine with that - and just makes you regret that there is no experienced management in place at the moment.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I’d have been asking what he has heard about new material being in place! 😂

Really interesting to know his thoughts tho on how to approach the touring - i.e. - a couple of ep’s. I think we would all be fine with that - and just makes you regret that there is no experienced management in place at the moment.

Yes I'd take that. It'd be something different. Put 5 songs out, tour for a year or so then bang 5 more out. It'd keep it fresh. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WildStar said:

Yes I'd take that. It'd be something different. Put 5 songs out, tour for a year or so then bang 5 more out. It'd keep it fresh. 

And it’s not like GNR are averse to EPs anyway with LLAS and Lies.

Its a great, simple idea......pity the current management can’t see that.

• Like 1

The current management, manage the bands touring and day to day business.

To offer some balance, the bands current management team, managed the second grossing tour of all time. 

Its ok to give credit when its due. 

A record label A & R  and or the band would manage album or music related business as was the case during the making and release of CD. 

TB have never publicly stated they are the bands legal representatives, record label executives or acting on behalf of the bands record label as their Artist and Represention agents. 

Tom Zutaut was that person in the past as the bands A & R representative, separate from the than band's management team BFD that Doug Goldstein was apart of. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

And it’s not like GNR are averse to EPs anyway with LLAS and Lies.

Its a great, simple idea......pity the current management can’t see that.

Are they too busy looking after their other artists? 😉 

It is simple and a great idea. I can't see how GNR couldn't put out a 10-12 song album but Doug's idea is something new. It'd be exciting and you'd know you'd be getting new tunes every tour

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WildStar said:

Are they too busy looking after their other artists? 😉 

It is simple and a great idea. I can't see how GNR couldn't put out a 10-12 song album but Doug's idea is something new. It'd be exciting and you'd know you'd be getting new tunes every tour

😂

I’d be happy for a few EPs and then have them packaged together post-tour as a box-set/album and some sweet extras.

• Like 1

An EP after all those years? I don't think it would sit well with the audience. and critics Unless it's something like "hey, we're writing new songs from the scratch, in the meantime, check out this other stuff". But even that could still be bad for the band, it would sound like a filler and would be treated as such.

55 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

An EP after all those years? I don't think it would sit well with the audience. and critics Unless it's something like "hey, we're writing new songs from the scratch, in the meantime, check out this other stuff". But even that could still be bad for the band, it would sound like a filler and would be treated as such.

If it was clear there was a series of EPs then I’d be cool with that - 2/3 EPs and you have an album’s worth anyway. I’d prefer an album release to be honest (old school) but I’d not turn my nose up at an EP or two!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

If it was clear there was a series of EPs then I’d be cool with that - 2/3 EPs and you have an album’s worth anyway. I’d prefer an album release to be honest (old school) but I’d not turn my nose up at an EP or two!

Me neither. Anything new from this band would be enough to get me super excited. I just don't know if outside the hardcore fanbase that would be enough. 

5 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

The current management, manage the bands touring and day to day business.

To offer some balance, the bands current management team, managed the second grossing tour of all time. 

Its ok to give credit when its due. 

A record label A & R  and or the band would manage album or music related business as was the case during the making and release of CD. 

TB have never publicly stated they are the bands legal representatives, record label executives or acting on behalf of the bands record label as their Artist and Represention agents. 

Tom Zutaut was that person in the past as the bands A & R representative, separate from the than band's management team BFD that Doug Goldstein was apart of. 

That’s some fair points. I guess in the absence of understanding who (apart from the band themselves) is taking care of the other stuff means TB get the vitriol.

I'd like to ask Doug what his thought would be towards GNR releasing a 4 song EP and donating proceeds to COVID 19 first responders.  wouldnt necessarily have to be "new" songs.  maybe hear this line up cover some velvet revolver or Slash (would like to see how Axl would sound on Anastasia) and then throw Hardschool in there- seeing how all the hardcore fans have heard it and that it might be played live at some point this year.

I feel like it would be good publicity and less pressure than having the first release be a totally new album.  plus it would be cool thing to do for those in need during this crisis. 

• Like 2