2016 Tour Opener in Detroit - Pro Shot Clips Provided By Live Nation

22 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I guess it boils down to what kind of music they want to create. Something more akin to Lies would probably be just fine for vocals. I’ve said before - a ‘Led Zep III’ type release with a mix of rock/acoustic tracks would be ideal - opportunities to really use the stronger aspects of his current voice.

Not a bad idea. They could finally do their MTV Unplugged or do a set similar to the Skin N Bones tour with the acoustic set half way through. That'd definitely help Axl out. 

On 4/3/2020 at 4:25 PM, DTJ80 said:

I mostly agree although I think Hetfield is arguably better now than he has been for the majority of the 2000’s. I mean, not 80’s-93 level but fairly strong. Whether that’s a byproduct of falling off the wagon is a curious question (ie - was he ignoring voice preservation techniques and just letting rip)?

Lars is Lars - yes he has simplified which does detract a bit.

As you say, depressing these guys are all towards the end of the careers although I’d think we will still get material from MetallicA for a while yet. GNR........?

Definitely think we'll hear more new music from Metallica in the future, they obviously love what they do and enjoy creating riffs, songs, new music and still do it well. They really make a mockery out of bands like GnR and Axl, unfortunately. Showing Guns up as just a business and nostalgia touring act, but if that is what Axl wants, then who are we to say that's wrong. Just incredibly frustrating for the real hardcore fans.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 5:50 PM, Sydney Fan said:

I agree. I think if not with gnr, he will do something with other musicians and keep recording.

I think you are right fellas... Slash is a creative beast and I don't think he likes to sit around doing nothing anyway. He seems to thrive being active, creative and then playing live. Also that old saying 'the devil finds work for idle hands', or whatever it is, means that some of these guys keep busy so they don't do bad and dumb shit..

And yes mate, I much prefered Jason Newstead in Metallica too. I also saw them in Brissy for the Black album tour!  I think thats when Kyuss supported them? Good days :-)

3 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

I think you are right fellas... Slash is a creative beast and I don't think he likes to sit around doing nothing anyway. He seems to thrive being active, creative and then playing live. Also that old saying 'the devil finds work for idle hands', or whatever it is, means that some of these guys keep busy so they don't do bad and dumb shit..

And yes mate, I much prefered Jason Newstead in Metallica too. I also saw them in Brissy for the Black album tour!  I think thats when Kyuss supported them? Good days :-)

Yep kyuss supported them....it was a good time period with all of the big bands touring.

On 3/31/2020 at 3:09 PM, allwaystired said:

People with literally nothing more in their lives.

Not even worth discussing them really - just a few keyboard warriors who think this sort of thing makes them in someway powerful or important as no-one in the real world wants anything to do with them. Bullies and cowards essentially. 

They'd also rather this site closed down than exist, as people here give them the contempt they deserve. I expect they also probably spend their time creating alt-accounts to post on here as they're banned. 

You're dealing with the arse-end of the internet here, sadly. 

I don't even know what to say. What's the objective here, remove the band entirely from YouTube? Keep only what they decide is ok?

I mean, this is a pretty strong marketing tool.

29 minutes ago, NicoRourke said:

I don't even know what to say. What's the objective here, remove the band entirely from YouTube? Keep only what they decide is ok?

I mean, this is a pretty strong marketing tool.

My theory on it is as follows:

No one who runs GN'R has any idea what they're doing. That isn't a specific shot at TB. When I refer to the people who "run GNR", I'm referring to TB, Axl himself and whomever happens to be in charge of them at Uni. 

Having clarified that, the people who run GN'R are of the opinion that you're not a real fan of GNR unless you constantly praise everything about the band. 

Therefore, the majority of the dwindling fan base are not "real fans" because most of us don't blindly praise the money grabbing and lazy route GNR has taken. 

However, there are a very few fans out there who do. Unfortunately, those same people are the ones that have a grudge against the rest of us and are taking the videos down.

The people who run GNR don't have any problem with this behavior for a few reasons. 1) the people doing it are the only "real fans" as detailed above 2) they have not one clue how to use the online tools available in 2020 to properly promote a band. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

My theory on it is as follows:

No one who runs GN'R has any idea what they're doing. That isn't a specific shot at TB. When I refer to the people who "run GNR", I'm referring to TB, Axl himself and whomever happens to be in charge of them at Uni. 

Having clarified that, the people who run GN'R are of the opinion that you're not a real fan of GNR unless you constantly praise everything about the band. 

Therefore, the majority of the dwindling fan base are not "real fans" because most of us don't blindly praise the money grabbing and lazy route GNR has taken. 

However, there are a very few fans out there who do. Unfortunately, those same people are the ones that have a grudge against the rest of us and are taking the videos down.

The people who run GNR don't have any problem with this behavior for a few reasons. 1) the people doing it are the only "real fans" as detailed above 2) they have not one clue how to use the online tools available in 2020 to properly promote a band. 

maybe they don't want to use this tool at least for now cause they don't think it's worth it. In other words, maybe they want to find a safer way to promote their music by having more control of it.

that 15 seconds Dead Horse clip is a fun-free and safe option or working non stop on making sure Axl's jawline is better than the '91 one and then post a black and white pic of it on instagram.

They can easily hire a talented team that can handle Gn'R on youtube but I get the feeling they don't believe it serves their interests as well as letting the psychos just remove shit for them for free until they'll feel a need to sell it on their terms. I don't support it, I think it's counter productive, just trying to guess what the goal here is.

Just now, Rovim said:

maybe they don't want to use this tool at least for now cause they don't think it's worth it. In other words, maybe they want to find a safer way to promote their music by having more control of it.

that 15 seconds Dead Horse clip is a fun-free and safe option or working non stop on making sure Axl's jawline is better than the '91 one and then post a black and white pic of it on instagram.

They can easily hire a talented team that can handle Gn'R on youtube but I get the feeling they don't believe it serves their interests as well as letting the psychos just remove shit for them for free until they'll feel a need to sell it on their terms. I don't support it, I think it's counter productive, just trying to guess what the goal here is.

You have to remember that it's NOT GN'R or the people running GN'R who are doing this (taking down the videos). It's a very few "fans" doing it. 

However, the people who run GN'R are endorsing those "fans" through allowing it to happen, denying and outright lying about the siatuion/situation as a whole. 

Therein lies the problem: they're endorsing these "real fans" because of the undying praise they receive from them. While they're doing that, they're completely missing the point of all the free promotion they could be receiving. 

• GNFNR 1

Just now, RussTCB said:

You have to remember that it's NOT GN'R or the people running GN'R who are doing this (taking down the videos). It's a very few "fans" doing it. 

However, the people who run GN'R are endorsing those "fans" through allowing it to happen, denying and outright lying about the siatuion/situation as a whole. 

Therein lies the problem: they're endorsing these "real fans" because of the undying praise they receive from them. While they're doing that, they're completely missing the point of all the free promotion they could be receiving. 

you mean the disgusting lies from Beta and talking shit about hardcore fans? sure. But I think they know the value in letting fans post live performances of the band, just that it's possible they don't want to do it cause they'd rather control the content. It's just speculation and I'm aware a few "fans" are responsible for the takedowns.

I know you're a Prince fan. He didn't believe in it at all if I'm not mistaken. Maybe Axl is the same when it comes to live performances. It's just a guess.

11 minutes ago, Rovim said:

you mean the disgusting lies from Beta and talking shit about hardcore fans? sure. But I think they know the value in letting fans post live performances of the band, just that it's possible they don't want to do it cause they'd rather control the content. It's just speculation and I'm aware a few "fans" are responsible for the takedowns.

I know you're a Prince fan. He didn't believe in it at all if I'm not mistaken. Maybe Axl is the same when it comes to live performances. It's just a guess.

I'm a MASSIVE Prince fan, and while his approach was indeed to have nothing on the internet FOR FREE (in his later years anyway - he was quite receptive to the notion of using the internet  to connect music directly with fans at first)  it was very much a principled and passionate response to control. He (quite rightly in my view) saw the streaming sites for what there were (exploitative of musicians) so refused to engage with that game. "You want a Prince record? Well, go out and buy one" was the overriding attitude- one that I see as totally reasonable. The day I can't shell out a few pounds/dollars on the work of a musician is the day I no longer call myself a music fan. He certainly didn't simply wish to keep things out of the hands of fans. Sure he had his 'vault' but his view was constantly that it was stuff he didn't want released as it wasn't finished. He was incredibly prolific, so again, I respected this, tantalizing as it was to think of those things I wasn't hearing....I knew he knew what he was doing and there would be a new release (or 5!) very soon. 

He made vast amounts of material available trough other means, and was always keen to pioneer new ways of doing things way ahead of the curve in terms of connecting music with fans. Ultimately many of them didn't work perhaps as he planned, but looked back on they were certainly ahead of the curve. 

It's kind of sad now that all his wishes and principals have been cast aside.....but that's another story. 

Sorry to veer off topic there a bit! 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rovim said:

It's possible, but personally I don't think this particular aspect of things has much of anything to do with Axl. This is a pretty clear cut example of some "fans" taking it upon themselves to do this and TB endorsing, then lying about it because they value those type of "fans" more. 

11 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'm a MASSIVE Prince fan, and while his approach was indeed to have nothing on the internet FOR FREE (in his later years anyway - he was quite receptive to the notion of using the internet  to connect music directly with fans at first)  it was very much a principled and passionate response to control. He (quite rightly in my view) saw the streaming sites for what there were (exploitative of musicians) so refused to engage with that game. "You want a Prince record? Well, go out and buy one" was the overriding attitude- one that I see as totally reasonable. The day I can't shell out a few pounds/dollars on the work of a musician is the day I no longer call myself a music fan. He certainly didn't simply wish to keep things out of the hands of fans. Sure he had his 'vault' but his view was constantly that it was stuff he didn't want released as it wasn't finished. He was incredibly prolific, so again, I respected this, tantalizing as it was to think of those things I wasn't hearing....I knew he knew what he was doing and there would be a new release (or 5!) very soon. 

He made vast amounts of material available trough other means, and was always keen to pioneer new ways of doing things way ahead of the curve in terms of connecting music with fans. Ultimately many of them didn't work perhaps as he planned, but looked back on they were certainly ahead of the curve. 

It's kind of sad now that all his wishes and principals have been cast aside.....but that's another story. 

Sorry to veer off topic there a bit! 

Side note, today marks the 5 year anniversary of the last time I got to see Prince in concert. I'm beside myself happy to have an excellent sound board recording of the whole show. 

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

It's possible, but personally I don't think this particular aspect of things has much of anything to do with Axl. This is a pretty clear cut example of some "fans" taking it upon themselves to do this and TB endorsing, then lying about it because they value those type of "fans" more. 

Side note, today marks the 5 year anniversary of the last time I got to see Prince in concert. I'm beside myself happy to have an excellent sound board recording of the whole show. 

Where was that? The 'piano and a microphone' shows? He cancelled that tour in the UK five minutes before tickets went on sale - I was sitting online at 9am ready to go - because he saw that touting sites had them already. Massive respect to him for that....but sad too obviously, as it was something I was excited to see. 

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Where was that? The 'piano and a microphone' shows? He cancelled that tour in the UK five minutes before tickets went on sale - I was sitting online at 9am ready to go - because he saw that touting sites had them already. Massive respect to him for that....but sad too obviously, as it was something I was excited to see. 

It was the HitnRun shows with 3rd Eye Girl. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I wonder how much Axl knows about this. I agree TB endorses it and lies about it to not look bad. Thing is someone must have decided to take this approach and I don't know if TB handles it by themselves or they run it by Axl first.

@allwaystired didn't know that about Prince. Pretty cool and sounds like something he would do. Not at all for the same reason I think Axl/TB are supporting the takedowns.

• Like 1

Just now, Rovim said:

I wonder how much Axl knows about this. I agree TB endorses it and lies about it to not look bad. Thing is someone must have decided to take this approach and I don't know if TB handles it by themselves or they run it by Axl first.

@allwaystired didn't know that about Prince. Pretty cool and sounds like something he would do. Not at all for the same reason I think Axl/TB are supporting the takedowns.

A constantly fascinating character to me. Reading his unfinished recent(ish) book really hit home for me how much I miss his input on the music world in general. 

On the other point - I always think Axl is totally aware of everything going on. I'd be surprised if much gets past him- he's not daft. 

10 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

On the other point - I always think Axl is totally aware of everything going on. I'd be surprised if much gets past him- he's not daft. 

yeah which is kinda what leads me to believe Axl knows about it and likes to control everything. I could be way off, but I can see him gladly taking loses in potential promotion of the band through youtube just so he can be sure the product represents Gn'R in a way that is acceptable in his opinion.

He doesn't seem to like anyone using any Gn'R related material without him knowing about it and having a say in it. Fan filmed/made live performances posted on youtube could be perceived as too risky.

great shit like Marc Canter's Reckless Road book was not supported. Live Era was heavily re-recorded, attempts to remove unflattering Axl pics from the net, etc.

Edited by Rovim
  • Thanks 1