Top live performances!

Chinese Democracy - Curitiba, Brazil 30.03.14  (i prefer the 09-14 version. theres something in this one that sticks out for me)

Shackler's Revenge - Vienna, Austria 18.09.10 (Sosso you made me listen to this one. Its damn good!)

Better -  Novarock, Burgenland, Austria 17.06.06

Street of Dreams - Edmonton, AB 07.12.06

If the World - Tokyo Dome, Japan 19.12.09
 (it gets jammy at the end, i love it. epic show all around)

There Was A Time - Hammerstein Ballroom, New York 12.05.06 (every member kills in this one)

Catcher in the Rye - The Joint, Las Vegas 21.11.12 (the version on the film is perfect!)

Scraped - Edmonton, AB 17.01.2010

Riad N' The Bedouins - Pukkelpop, Belgium 24.08.02

Sorry - Amneville, France 10.09.10

I.R.S. - Sunrise, FL 24.10.06

Madagascar - Boston, Ma 02.12.02 (this is just too good)

This I Love - The Joint, Las Vegas 09.11.12 (great mood that fits the song, and not too much rasp in Axls voice)

Prostitute - Houston, Tx 10.11.17 (Dizzys piano outro with Slashes guitar fade ins is what makes this so good.)

Edited by rebeldhipi
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

31 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

Great list!

I'd change both 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door' & 'Madagascar' to Boston 2002 as well, though!

I wouldn't argue with either... I almost put a 2002 version of Madagascar, but Axl kinda fucks up the last chorus on the Budapest 2006 performance, and it sounds really cool. I was also torn between Buckethead's fantastic KOHD solo in '02 and Axl's incredible screams in '06.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I agree with a lot here, but with small changes:

- The Blues (Pittsburgh 2002 - Richard fucks up the outro solo and it kinda sounds amazing)

- IRS (Gibson Ampteather 2006)

- TWAT (Madrid 2006)

Dude, that's literally the worst Twat vocal ever. He sounds absolutely horrendous!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Dude, that's literally the worst Twat vocal ever. He sounds absolutely horrendous!

I dont think it's worst than the post CD era. Granted, I dont remember how Axl sounded that much, but I do remember how Bumblefoot's solo sounded way better than the one in the Hammerstein 1st night.

On 02/04/2020 at 2:54 AM, Waemoth said:

Think what I have is Primeiramente de Rio, Maracana XPII and Frans' version of Indiana. 

I think Axl sounded really bad in Rio 1991, and that in combination with the sound quality being very much sub-par seals the deal. Seriously, there are A LOT of audience recordings that are better quality-wise than Rio IMO. 

Primeiramente de Rio and Maracana XPII are from Aces High and as far as I know they are MP3 sourced. i remember searching on old gnr bootleg sites and one of these guys who knows a lot about audio extracted the wave lenght (or whatever that was) from the GNR aces high CDs and he was so pissed because that wave lenght showed to him that they were MP3 sourced. It is a shame because the artwork is truly good, specially for the time when the CDs were released. Another good thing about these Rio 1991 Aces High CDs is that they have the full concert from the second night (jan 23) and it is priceless

Older CD bootlegs from the early 90s usually have much better sound, the italians are usually great. Some titles that come to my memory right now for the Rio shows are Rock in Rio and Brazil

Indiana has tons of early 90s versions on boot CD that you probably know like Dramas & Traumas etc. The trick i guess is to try and find which year it was made, usually the older the better, and some boot "companies" are also famous for the sound quality, i guess Kiss the Stone was one of them

On 01/04/2020 at 10:05 PM, UsedYourIllusion said:

Perfect Crime has a lot of good performances, but from the bootlegs i've heard, either that intro, the St. Louis show, or the Texas '91 show have the best versions; you could take your pick honestly. 

Dust N' Bones, which is probably my favorite GN'R tune, has it's best performances from the two stockholm shows, I only give the nod to the second night because I think Slash's solo is better.

Rocket Queen was pretty simple, the Weedsport NY show, along with most of the '88 shows, is pretty good. It's simple, keeps the best of the original album version, and I consider it Steven's signature song along with Brownstone. Couldn't help but pick an original lineup show. 

Jungle is tough, considering it's the signature song of the band, I felt like i had to go back to the original lineup. I loooove Matt Sorum, really do. But, with Axls voice, and the touring experience under their belts, I went with a later Appetite lineup show. Although there's dozens of versions of Jungle that could be picked. 

I picked for Jungle, SCOM, and Paradise City, versions that are great, but not well known

thanks for that, classic!

Edited by ludurigan

On 01/04/2020 at 8:33 PM, James Bond said:

Not quite the same as making my own Live Era, but I dream of a definitive Kissology retrospective release from the band. I know, I'll keep dreaming.

- include Tokyo as well just to have a Blu-ray version of it, but do it properly with the songs in the correct order

do you think they professionally recorded the two other Tokyo nights in video just like the one that was released?

i am asking because they played Coma and Locomotive as you probably know 

Edited by ludurigan

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

Primeiramente de Rio and Maracana XPII are from Aces High and as far as I know they are MP3 sourced. i remember searching on old gnr bootleg sites and one of these guys who knows a lot about audio extracted the wave lenght (or whatever that was) from the GNR aces high CDs and he was so pissed because that wave lenght showed to him that they were MP3 sourced. It is a shame because the artwork is truly good, specially for the time when the CDs were released. Another good thing about these Rio 1991 Aces High CDs is that they have the full concert from the second night (jan 23) and it is priceless

Older CD bootlegs from the early 90s usually have much better sound, the italians are usually great. Some titles that come to my memory right now for the Rio shows are Rock in Rio and Brazil

Indiana has tons of early 90s versions on boot CD that you probably know like Dramas & Traumas etc. The trick i guess is to try and find which year it was made, usually the older the better, and some boot "companies" are also famous for the sound quality, i guess Kiss the Stone was one of them

Can't argue with what you're saying about the sourcing of Primeiramente or XPII. What I can say is that the Rock In Rio bootleg isn't exactly worlds apart from those. Somewhat better, but still a worse listening experience than competent AUD recordings.

I've never heard anything that sounds anywhere near as good as Frans' version of Indiana. 

If anyone wants information about what specific sources I used in my compialtion, feel free to PM me. I'll be glad to help you out ;)

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 3:40 PM, DTJ80 said:

Did anyone ever compile a ‘real’ version of live era which contained (as much as possible) the un-edited/overdubbed versions of the tracks?

I remember seeing a Youtube video a while back that was essentially that, compiled all the unedited performances from assorted bootlegs - I think the only one that was not able to be located was a recording of Rocket Queen that Live Era was based off of

I would say I could locate it but judging by the fact it was on youtube it is probably long gone by now lol

5 hours ago, ludurigan said:

do you think they professionally recorded the two other Tokyo nights in video just like the one that was released?

I think they professionally recorded every show on the UYI tour. It means that, in theory, we have UYI era pro-shot footage of all the rare/lesser played songs out there.

8 hours ago, James Bond said:

I think they professionally recorded every show on the UYI tour. It means that, in theory, we have UYI era pro-shot footage of all the rare/lesser played songs out there.

yeah, sure, all the leaked pro shots like indiana, oklahoma and saskatoon kinda prove that

19 hours ago, ludurigan said:

Yes it was. Axl said that in one of the nights... i cant remember which one.

Edited by axlvai
  • Like 1

Soo been doing a lot of Nu-GNR watching the last few days

Civil War (The Joint 2011)

You're Crazy (House of Blues 2012)

Sailing (Wembley 2006)

There Was A Time (NY 2006) absolutely bonkers performance, realllllllly good. Robin is fantastic, but i think it'd be a toss up between this one and Osaka 2009

If the World (Osaka 2009) the jam at the end is crazy

Sorry (Paris 2010) wish they recorded sorry with more stripped down vocals, like the live version

Nightrain (Tokyo 2009) Axl goes crazy singing in a higher octave at the beginning

Chinese Democracy (Pittsburg 2002)

Street of dreams/the blues (either Boston 2002 or Ireland 2010) hard to pick

Better (rock am ring 2006)

Nice Boys (2010 with Duff, can't remember which show it was)

Really love the Nu-GNR era, just wish there was more consistency. Then again, that could be said about the entire damn history of this band

33 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Civil War (The Joint 2011)

Check out the pro-shot from LA 2011, it has a great Civil War performance.

Seattle 2011 might be the best nugnr version of that song though, Axl sounded *almost* as good as 2010 and rasped the hell out of Civil War, Better and others at that show.

13 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Sonic Cut Thru Heavy BT. It used to be one of my favourite fonts to use for PowerPoints and whatnot back in elementary school. :lol:

Ha ha. 😂 Awesome - cheers! I searched but couldn't find it anywhere! 

• GNFNR 1

I finally figured out how I’m gonna do my version of this!

Ive decided that I’m going to only do one year per track, so that I can squeeze 1987-2020 all into one, double-disc set:

DISC ONE (1987-2007)

- Side A (1987-1993), 6 songs (no 1990)

- Side B (2001-2007), 4 songs

DISC TWO (2009-2020)

- Side C (2009-2014), 5 songs (no 2013)

-Side D (2016-2020), 5 songs

If anyone has any suggestions which song performances I should pick for which years, please let me know. Thanks!

'86-93

Disc 1:
1. Welcome To The Jungle (Marquee June 28 1987)
2. Shadow Of Your Love (Marquee June 22 1987)
3. It's So Easy (Vancouver 1988)
4. Mr. Brownstone (Melbourne 1988)
5. Don't Cry (Ritz 1987)
6. Rocket Queen (w/ It Tastes Good intro, Seattle 1988)
7. Anything Goes (Toronto 1987)
8. Think About You ('Streetscene' show, LA September 21 1986)
9. Knockin' On Heavens Door (Newcastle 1987)
10. Nice Boys (Marquee June 22 1987)
11. Nightrain (Tokyo 1988)

Disc 2:
1. Pretty Tied Up (Oklahoma 1992)
2. Bad Apples (Pantages Theatre 1991)
3. Breakdown (New York December 13 1991)
4. You Ain't The First (w/ Shannon Hoon) (Ritz 1991)
5. Dead Flowers (Argentina 1993)
6. The Garden (Hartford 1993)
7. Garden Of Eden (Texas 1993)
8. You're Crazy (w/ Sebastian Bach) (Inglewood August 3 1991)
9. Locomotive (New York December 13 1991)
10. Reckless Life (Boston 1993)
11. Coma (Chicago 1992)

Disc 3:
1. Perfect Crime (Philadelphia June 13 1991)
2. You Could Be Mine (Turin 1992)
3. Dust N' Bones (Stockholm 1991)
4. Yesterdays (New York December 10 1991)
5. Live And Let Die (Wembley 1991)
6. Double Talkin' Jive (Birmingham 1991)
7. Piano Solo / It's Alright (Argentina 1992)
8. November Rain (Saskatoon 1993)
9. Civil War (Paris 1992)
10. Sweet Child O' Mine (w/ Since I Don't Have You intro, Winnipeg 1993)
11. Estranged (Oklahoma 1992)
12. Paradise City (final Argentina 1993 show)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

'86-93

Disc 1:
1. Welcome To The Jungle (Marquee June 28 1987)
2. Shadow Of Your Love (Marquee June 22 1987)
3. It's So Easy (Vancouver 1988)
4. Mr. Brownstone (Melbourne 1988)
5. Don't Cry (Ritz 1987)
6. Rocket Queen (w/ It Tastes Good intro, Seattle 1988)
7. Anything Goes (Toronto 1987)
8. Think About You ('Streetscene' show, LA September 21 1986)
9. Knockin' On Heavens Door (Newcastle 1987)
10. Nice Boys (Marquee June 22 1987)
11. Nightrain (Tokyo 1988)

Disc 2:
1. Pretty Tied Up (Oklahoma 1992)
2. Bad Apples (Pantages Theatre 1991)
3. Breakdown (New York December 13 1991)
4. You Ain't The First (w/ Shannon Hoon) (Ritz 1991)
5. Dead Flowers (Argentina 1993)
6. The Garden (Hartford 1993)
7. Garden Of Eden (Texas 1993)
8. You're Crazy (w/ Sebastian Bach) (Inglewood August 3 1991)
9. Locomotive (New York December 13 1991)
10. Reckless Life (Boston 1993)
11. Coma (Chicago 1992)

Disc 3:
1. Perfect Crime (Philadelphia June 13 1991)
2. You Could Be Mine (Turin 1992)
3. Dust N' Bones (Stockholm 1991)
4. Yesterdays (New York December 10 1991)
5. Live And Let Die (Wembley 1991)
6. Double Talkin' Jive (Birmingham 1991)
7. Piano Solo / It's Alright (Argentina 1992)
8. November Rain (Saskatoon 1993)
9. Civil War (Paris 1992)
10. Sweet Child O' Mine (w/ Since I Don't Have You intro, Winnipeg 1993)
11. Estranged (Oklahoma 1992)
12. Paradise City (final Argentina 1993 show)

Good god, that is one hell of a setlist sir. Is there audio of the Pantages performance of Bad Apples? I didn't think there was. You went a similar route to what i did, 1 disc for the classic lineup, 2 discs for the UYI lineup. I'll have to check out some of your picks, like Yesterdays in New York, DTJ in Alabama, Winnepeg SCOM.