Top live performances!

42 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Good god, that is one hell of a setlist sir. Is there audio of the Pantages performance of Bad Apples? I didn't think there was. You went a similar route to what i did, 1 disc for the classic lineup, 2 discs for the UYI lineup. I'll have to check out some of your picks, like Yesterdays in New York, DTJ in Alabama, Winnepeg SCOM. 

No, Bad Apples is a gamble lol. But since they only played it twice, and the warm-up theatre shows were all really good, I went with that one.

Edit: I'll send you the Winnipeg audio, they didn't play Nice Boys or My Michelle but they did play a kickass version of Nightrain. It's an audience recording but sounds decent.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 2

Finally finished my fanmade “live album,” which is a theoretical two-disc (four vinyl) set that spans from 1986-2020 (one track per year):

I call it Guns N’ Roses: Through the Ages

DISC 1 (1986-2007)

SIDE A

1.Mr. Brownstone (Music Machine, 1986)

2.Sweet Child O’ Mine (Amsterdam, 1987)

3.Patience (Whisky-A-Go-Go, 1988)

4.My Michelle (LA Coliseum, Gig 4, 1989)

SIDE B

5.14 Years (Deer Creek, 1991)

6.You Could Be Mine (Chile, 1992)

7.Paradise City w/Intro (Argentina, Gig 2, 1993)

SIDE C

8.Heaven’s Door w/Intro (RIR, 2001)

9.Nightrain (Boston, 2002)

SIDE D

10.Welcome to the Jungle (RAR, 2006)

11.Don’t Cry (Japan, Gig 1, 2007)

DISC 2 (2009-2020)

SIDE A

1.There Was A Time (Taipei, 2009)

2.IRS (Saskatoon, 2010)

3.Estranged (Chile, 2011)

SIDE B

4.Street of Dreams (AFDem, 2012)

5.Used To Love Her (Dallas, 2013)

6.Yesterdays (Vegas, 2014)

SIDE C

7.Live & Let Die (Detroit, 2016)

8.Madagascar (The Forum, 2017)

9.Better (Goffertpark, 2018)

SIDE D

10.Shadow of Your Love (Charlotte, 2019)

11.Dead Horse (Mexico, 2020)

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

If you remember, how did Axl sound live in person in 2002, versus NITL? Ive enjoyed both NITL I've seen. Did his 2002 voice translate better live?

To be honest Axl was impressive that night.. Much better than NITL. It was the rest f the best that was a joke.

I have enjoyed the NITL shows too but anyone that says Axl sounds good is fooling themselves. He has his moments and it is fun in person but  there are very few times that he sounds consistently good throughout an entire song. 

• Like 2

On 3/31/2020 at 7:20 PM, UsedYourIllusion said:

I'm getting quarantine cabin fever, so why not look at topic thats been beat to death like a Dead Horse;

If you were given keys to the vault, to create a live GN'R compilation, which song performances would you pick? Think, making your own Live Era, if you had to pick the definitive performances.

I've wanted to create a complete LIVE version of the UYI albums. Problem is, they didn't play every song live and a couple of them are hard to come by. A decent sounding version, anyway.

They played Locomotive at the Shoreline venue I went to in 1991, except it was played at the 1st show the night before I saw them! I haven't been able to download a good copy of it (I know it's on youtube though).

On 3/31/2020 at 7:20 PM, UsedYourIllusion said:

7. Nice Boys (Sacramento April 3, 1993)

Switched Nice Boys to the Sacramento '93 show

It's cool you selected a song from a show I went to. Great show, while it lasted!

Edited by thunderram

26 minutes ago, thunderram said:

I've wanted to create a complete LIVE version of the UYI albums. Problem is, they didn't play every song live and a couple of them are hard to come by. A decent sounding version, anyway.

They played Locomotive at the Shoreline venue I went to in 1991, except it was played at the 1st show the night before I saw them! I haven't been able to download a good copy of it (I know it's on youtube though).

It's cool you selected a song from a show I went to. Great show, while it lasted!

Wow! Must've been wild. Show sounds pretty great! I wonder if they ever found the guy who hit Duff.. hopefully they didn't kill him. Really good performance. I'd kill to have gone to a UYI show

16 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Wow! Must've been wild. Show sounds pretty great! I wonder if they ever found the guy who hit Duff.. hopefully they didn't kill him. Really good performance. I'd kill to have gone to a UYI show

Yeah, that was a wild show. I haven't looked lately, but it used to be uploaded on youtube. I have a DVD copy of it.

That particular show was at the old ARCO Arena and I had front row seats just to the left of the stage and just above the GA floor. I was SUPER close to the stage with no obstructions.

The bottle incident happened a little over an hour into the show. Honestly, and stupidly, I was conflicted about the outcome.

On one hand, I had been so looking forward to the show because it was in my own backyard. I couldn't get tix to the 1991 show in SAC and had to see them in the Bay area instead. To have it end prematurely was a major buzzkill.

However, on the other hand, I also thought it was kinda cool, at the time, that I was at a controversial show that was going to make a lot of news and be remembered for a long, long time. An infamous show, so to speak.

IDK that most fans knew about it, but there was a great close to the chapter when GN'R played at the newer Golden One Center in 2017. Right at the end of the show Duff whispered in AXL's ear then AXL proceeded to acknowledge what had happened 24 years earlier -- and made a joke about it. I thought that was very cool.

Luckily for me, the 1993 SAC show was the 3rd time I had seen them. So I wasn't quite as upset as others that were with me that night.

FWIW, the cause of the incident is disputed, but many believe it was due to AXL ranting about Metallica numerous times during the set. Apparently he had just seen or found out about the 'Day in the Life' video they had put out where Hetfield mocked him. He actually acknowledged he was on 'enemy turf' being in NorCal and was gentle in his criticism on the whole -- even stopping the show later on to clarify that he wasn't telling fans not to like Metallica or not buy their albums but rather clarified he was angered by the actions of whom he considered to be his friends.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, thunderram said:

I'm putting together a "best of classic Guns" compilation with what I consider to be the best performance (out of the ones I've heard obviously) of each song on AFD, LIES and UYI1+2.

Some of the less played songs don't have any strong performances, and some weren't played at all. That's life I guess. 

Speaking of Nice Boys, the performance from Austin 1993 is very, very good. 

Edited by Waemoth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thunderram said:

Yeah, that was a wild show. I haven't looked lately, but it used to be uploaded on youtube. I have a DVD copy of it.

That particular show was at the old ARCO Arena and I had front row seats just to the left of the stage and just above the GA floor. I was SUPER close to the stage with no obstructions.

The bottle incident happened a little over an hour into the show. Honestly, and stupidly, I was conflicted about the outcome.

On one hand, I had been so looking forward to the show because it was in my own backyard. I couldn't get tix to the 1991 show in SAC and had to see them in the Bay area instead. To have it end prematurely was a major buzzkill.

However, on the other hand, I also thought it was kinda cool, at the time, that I was at a controversial show that was going to make a lot of news and be remembered for a long, long time. An infamous show, so to speak.

IDK that most fans knew about it, but there was a great close to the chapter when GN'R played at the newer Golden One Center in 2017. Right at the end of the show Duff whispered in AXL's ear then AXL proceeded to acknowledge what had happened 24 years earlier -- and made a joke about it. I thought that was very cool.

Luckily for me, the 1993 SAC show was the 3rd time I had seen them. So I wasn't quite as upset as others that were with me that night.

FWIW, the cause of the incident is disputed, but many believe it was due to AXL ranting about Metallica numerous times during the set. Apparently he had just seen or found out about the 'Day in the Life' video they had put out where Hetfield mocked him. He actually acknowledged he was on 'enemy turf' being in NorCal and was gentle in his criticism on the whole -- even stopping the show later on to clarify that he wasn't telling fans not to like Metallica or not buy their albums but rather clarified he was angered by the actions of whom he considered to be his friends.

That rant im 100% sure is on youtube. Its most hetfield and lars axl goes for and he dedicates dtj to the both them after his rant.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm building a live playlist from 2000 on based on soundboards and IEMs. If you all could help me, I would be grateful. I want an opinion about this:

1 - Do you prefer "November Rain" from KROQ Inland Invasion 2006 or Pittsburgh 2002? (focusing on Axl's vocals)

2 - Do you prefer "Mr. Browstone" from Boston 2002 or Columbus 2002? (focusing on Axl's vocals)

3 - Do you prefer "Estranged" from Rock in Rio 2011 or Apollo 2017? (focusing on Axl's vocals)

4 - Do you prefer "Paradise City" from Puerto Rico 2010 or Los Angeles 2011? (focusing on Axl's vocals)

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, blackholesun85 said:

Has anyone ever put together or considered putting together any of these suggestions for a live compilation as it would be fantastic?

The only problem with that is the quality of the recordings would differ massively and wouldn't flow very smoothly 

On 5/26/2020 at 5:04 AM, diegodasilva23 said:

I'm building a live playlist from 2000 on based on soundboards and IEMs. If you all could help me, I would be grateful. I want an opinion about this:

1 - Do you prefer "November Rain" from KROQ Inland Invasion 2006 or Pittsburgh 2002? (focusing on Axl's vocals)

2 - Do you prefer "Mr. Browstone" from Boston 2002 or Columbus 2002? (focusing on Axl's vocals)

3 - Do you prefer "Estranged" from Rock in Rio 2011 or Apollo 2017? (focusing on Axl's vocals)

4 - Do you prefer "Paradise City" from Puerto Rico 2010 or Los Angeles 2011? (focusing on Axl's vocals)

1- 2006

2- Either or

3- 2017

4- 2010

On 9/15/2022 at 1:00 PM, blackholesun85 said:

Has anyone ever put together or considered putting together any of these suggestions for a live compilation as it would be fantastic?

I'm still up for giving this a shot though! If either yourself or anyone else can privately point me in the right direction to all the 1991-2006 shows I'd be very grateful!