Appetite for Distortion - Eddie Trunk talks Axl interviews, Slash phone calls, and Post-Covid Concerts | Ep. 183

On 4.4.2020 at 10:35 AM, thunderram said:

Troubadour was the first show, but LV was the first FULL show. They played a much longer set, closer to what they're still doing today.

And Tom is spot on about LV being in a different world.

IDK that any future show will replicate the energy, excitement and even unknowns the first LV gig had. Fans flew in from all over the world to be there. There were huge fan parties all over town. I was at the one inside the New York New York.

Nobody knew what the lineup was gonna be exactly, as there were still strong rumors of Steven and Izzy's involvement, or whether they would actually play since word about the extent of AXL's injury was really just beginning to spread. There was even a long delay allowing fans into the arena, which only fueled rumors that AXL cancelled. And it was raining on us!

It wasn't until just before they let us all in that word spread about AXL using Dave's Grohl's throne.

I met folks from Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Canada, Africa, and from all around the US and beyond.

I've experienced nothing like it before or since.

You're so right. Today 4 years ago I flew to Vegas and experienced one of the best days of my life. Nothing will ever be like this again. #TeamExcalibur

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 4/4/2020 at 1:35 AM, thunderram said:

Troubadour was the first show, but LV was the first FULL show. They played a much longer set, closer to what they're still doing today.

IDK that any future show will replicate the energy, excitement and even unknowns the first LV gig had. Fans flew in from all over the world to be there. There were huge fan parties all over town. I was at the one inside the New York New York.

Nobody knew what the lineup was gonna be exactly, as there were still strong rumors of Steven and Izzy's involvement, or whether they would actually play since word about the extent of AXL's injury was really just beginning to spread. There was even a long delay allowing fans into the arena, which only fueled rumors that AXL cancelled. And it was raining on us!

It wasn't until just before they let us all in that word spread about AXL using Dave's Grohl's throne.

I met folks from Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Canada, Africa, and from all around the US and beyond.

I wish I could've gone. Couldn't afford it at the time.

• Like 1

I was at the First Vegas show.  I was able to meet Eddie and Myles Kennedy.  Both were very friendly and accessible.   I got a pic with each of them. The vibe and excitement at that show was fantastic.   Hard to believe it was 4 yrs ago 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 4:35 AM, thunderram said:

It was definitely electric.  At one point, fans were starting to chant as people were getting pretty pissed that we couldn’t get in to the arena.  The mood was really starting to turn dark.  I think at that time it was nearing 11pm.  If they had not opened the doors when they did, a riot may have occurred. The concert blew away my expectations.   One of the best performances of GnR I have seen in my 13 times seeing them through the years.  

• Like 4

On 4/4/2020 at 2:37 AM, metallex78 said:

Maybe you met me there? I flew in from Australia for those Vegas shows, and I was the only fan at that meet up wearing the all over spaghetti print TSI T-shirt 

I believe I may have. I remember seeing the TSI shirt. I was wearing a tie-dye UYI1 and 2 t-shirt. I saw one or two others besides me wearing it, but certainly not many.

Were you at the NYNY meet up?

On 4/6/2020 at 11:14 AM, MaskingApathy said:

I wish I could've gone. Couldn't afford it at the time.

Bummer.

It surely was expensive. IIRC I paid 'around' $561 including taxes and fees for each of my 2 lower bowl tickets.

I took my son, who was 20 yo at the time. Didn't turn 21 until a few months later, but was able to enjoy drinks with everybody in the NYNY bar because there were so many fans packed into the area they didn't bother ID'ing him.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, yourcrazy said:

It was definitely electric.  At one point, fans were starting to chant as people were getting pretty pissed that we couldn’t get in to the arena.  The mood was really starting to turn dark.  I think at that time it was nearing 11pm.  If they had not opened the doors when they did, a riot may have occurred. The concert blew away my expectations.   One of the best performances of GnR I have seen in my 13 times seeing them through the years.  

Yep. Despite being confined to the throne, AXL was pretty darned good that night.

Lots of celeb sightings too. Grohl was there. Sebastian. And my son spotted then met Eli Roth coming out of a suite.

I would never rank the performance above the shows I saw in 1991, 1992 and 1993, but the anticipation, build up, unknowns, and overall atmosphere was by far the greatest of any show I've ever been to.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, thunderram said:

I believe I may have. I remember seeing the TSI shirt. I was wearing a tie-dye UYI1 and 2 t-shirt. I saw one or two others besides me wearing it, but certainly not many.

Were you at the NYNY meet up?

Yeah, I was. That’s where I was wearing the TSI T-shirt!

It was a pretty cool point of conversation, many people hadn’t seen it before, or even knew such a shirt ever existed. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

Yeah, I was. That’s where I was wearing the TSI T-shirt!

It was a pretty cool point of conversation, many people hadn’t seen it before, or even knew such a shirt ever existed. 

Ok. Then I'm pretty sure my son and I met and spoke to you briefly. I just couldn't recall if I saw you at NYNY or out near the venue or even inside.

It was probably all three! It's been over 4 years now, so it's getting harder to remember everything!

56 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Yep. Despite being confined to the throne, AXL was pretty darned good that night.

Lots of celeb sightings too. Grohl was there. Sebastian. And my son spotted then met Eli Roth coming out of a suite.

I would never rank the performance above the shows I saw in 1991, 1992 and 1993, but the anticipation, build up, unknowns, and overall atmosphere was by far the greatest of any show I've ever been to.

For me the beat show was when I saw them in 92 with Metallica at three rivers stadium.  The whole scene at that time is hard to explain to people that were too young to witness.  The Vegas 2016 and Detroit 2016 were close though.   I never thought GnR would have so much excitement and buzz again.  Trying to get into And then out of Ford field with tons of people dressed in GnR gear and singing really brought me back In time about 25 Years lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yourcrazy said:

For me the beat show was when I saw them in 92 with Metallica at three rivers stadium.  The whole scene at that time is hard to explain to people that were too young to witness.  The Vegas 2016 and Detroit 2016 were close though.   I never thought GnR would have so much excitement and buzz again.  Trying to get into And then out of Ford field with tons of people dressed in GnR gear and singing really brought me back In time about 25 Years lol. 

I saw them on the 1992 Metallica co-headlining tour too. In Oakland, CA. Where fans ripped up the sod outfield and pelted other fans with it. ;)

That was a nice long show too.

Like you said, the energy at shows like those were much, much different than today. I was just talking to my wife about it the other day. While she's my age and has seen many high energy rock concerts from back in the 80's and 90's, she had never seen GN'R until the 2017 show I took her to. She loved it. But I told her it didn't compare to GN'R circa 1985 - 1993.

Fans jumped up and down all night long and packed in tightly near the stage. It wasn't this pussified, stand-still and video with your phone crap that goes on today.

And, of course, the bands energy was drastically different. They were younger, angrier, and loaded every night.

• Like 2