David Coverdale comment...

DurhamGirl

|Just watched an interview with David Coverdale from 11 years ago and he was asked why the band had broken up and he said 'I was sick of being in love with the songs I wrote but the record company not being'.  I just thought it an interesting comment with the question mark over new music from GNR.  It does make you wonder who has the actual power to make things happen.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Axl. 

That's not entirely the case. If the record label decided that they REALLY didn't want to release a new album they could sit on the album. Axl would then have the option of going to court and either forcing the label to release the album, or just having them release GNR from their contract. It's happened to a lot of bands, big and small. 

Yes, we know, Axl has been sitting on the new album for ages... but that wasn't the question. Axl does have the power within GNR, but once it leaves his hands the power is in the labels hands. Obviously he has a say, and he controls what is and isn't on the record or in the artwork etc. but that really is where most artists control ends.

GNR are interesting because they own their masters, and the label has recouped all the costs relating to the CD recording sessions (through the best buy deal)... so IF the label bawked at releasing something, could GNR just switch label and release their album with them instead. Think that's the more interesting question.

Edited by Tom2112

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

That's not entirely the case. If the record label decided that they REALLY didn't want to release a new album they could sit on the album. Axl would then have the option of going to court and either forcing the label to release the album, or just having them release GNR from their contract. It's happened to a lot of bands, big and small. 

Yes, we know, Axl has been sitting on the new album for ages... but that wasn't the question. Axl does have the power within GNR, but once it leaves his hands the power is in the labels hands. Obviously he has a say, and he controls what is and isn't on the record or in the artwork etc. but that really is where most artists control ends.

GNR are interesting because they own their masters, and the label has recouped all the costs relating to the CD recording sessions (through the best buy deal)... so IF the label bawked at releasing something, could GNR just switch label and release their album with them instead. Think that's the more interesting question.

Thanks interesting comment, I wonder how difficult it would be to switch labels, if it involves court cases then I imagine Axl has had enough of those!