Slash and Duff (and Matt) contribute to Cherie Currie's new album

Former Runaways vocalist Cherie Currie is on her way back with her first solo album in four years. Blvds of Splendor is on target for a digital release on April 28 via Blackheart Records and it features a number of well known guest contributors.

Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan, Guns N' Roses' Slash and Duff McKagan, former GN'R drummer Matt Sorum, The Distillers' Brody Dalle, Juliette Lewis and The Veronicas all lend a hand on the forthcoming release. Sorum also serves as the producer on the Blvds of Splendor album.

“Cherie’s voice tells it all, she is the real deal. And now more than ever that voice tells the story of where’s she’s been in her life. This record is about who Cherie Currie is now. We’ve waited a long time to hear this icon of Rock N’ Roll do what she does best. I’m very proud to be a part of this album by one of the best female singers of all time.” said Sorum.

The album has been in the works for years, with Currie and Sorum initially starting on tracks back in 2010 while Currie was promoting The Runaways movie. The vocalist was sidelined due a significant injury, as was injured and fell while working on one of her chainsaw carvings. The near death incident off a hilltop scaffolding left Currie with partial face paralysis and severe head trauma, with a recovery time that took over 10 months.

Stepping away from the record briefly, Currie recorded an album with Brie Darling last year titled The Motivator. After supporting that album, she now returns to finally issue the Blvds of Splendor record.

“I’ve never had so much fun making a record before. We all looked at each other and went, ‘Oh my God, there’s magic happening here,'” Cherie said of the album, which initially arrived as a limited Record Store Day release in 2019, but now gets a worldwide digital release.

In addition to the 12-track set, Currie has bolstered the collection with three bonus tracks including a remake of The Runaways' "Queens of Noise" with special guests Brody Dalle, The Veronicas and Juliette Lewis with Sorum on drums. See video footage from the recording session below, along with the album artwork and track listing.

"Queens of Noise" will be offered as an instant grat track when you pre-order the album at this location.

https://loudwire.com/runaways-cherie-currie-guns-n-roses-smashing-pumpkins-guests-blvds-of-splendor-album/

Seems like every GNR member is staying busy with new music, except for one...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Is this the one that Slash, Duff, and Matt played on while they were still doing VR? If so then their work on it predates the reunion. It's not like they recorded it yesterday.

Cherie and Matt started working on songs in 2010, so it would've been after VR, but it seems like the record was finished last year. (It was released for Record Store Day as a limited edition, and is now finally getting a 'full' release). I can't find info on when Slash and Duff recorded their parts though.

19 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Cherie and Matt started working on songs in 2010, so it would've been after VR, but it seems like the record was finished last year. (It was released for Record Store Day as a limited edition, and is now finally getting a 'full' release). I can't find info on when Slash and Duff recorded their parts though.

I think they played their stuff like 10 years ago because I remember reading an interview or something about it back then.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I think they played their stuff like 10 years ago because I remember reading an interview or something about it back then.

It would be interesting if you could find links about that. Honestly I'd be happy if it was from 2010, because Slash's playing was better back then, so it's cool either way :lol:

• Haha 2

http://bravewords.com/news/former-runaways-singer-cherie-currie-to-release-all-star-album-featuring-slash-duff-mckagan-matt-sorum-and-more-audio-interview

This is from 2016.

On YouTube there's a song with Slash Duff and Matt from 2013. Can't link it here but it's called Mr. X and it's listed as a song on the new album also. So yeah, this is from around 2010ish.

Edited by MaskingApathy

29 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

http://bravewords.com/news/former-runaways-singer-cherie-currie-to-release-all-star-album-featuring-slash-duff-mckagan-matt-sorum-and-more-audio-interview

This is from 2016.

On YouTube there's a song with Slash Duff and Matt from 2013. Can't link it here but it's called Mr. X and it's listed as a song on the new album also. So yeah, this is from around 2010ish.

Thanks. Do we know if Slash and/or Duff play on any other tracks?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else at least happy that in some way we got to hear an unreleased VR song?

That's what the song with Slash and Duff is... I don't think they actually re-recorded anything for it, it's just one of the songs they sent out to singers who wanted to audition.

Not a great musical achievement. Just another average power chord led typical late 2000's hard rock song with a generic Slash solo.

Glad that it's out officially now at least.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 2:25 PM, MaskingApathy said:

This is from 2016.

Yea I remember this record being made with Cherie Currie. It was in between VR AUDITIONS post Scott and Slash’s self titled 1st solo record.

I see there’s some confusion. Some wondering why they were all just in a studio recording together when they hate each other. So yea this took place in 2010 when they didn’t hate each other as much

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1

On 03/05/2020 at 11:41 AM, Top-Hatted One said:

Yea I remember this record being made with Cherie Currie. It was in between VR AUDITIONS post Scott and Slash’s self titled 1st solo record.

I see there’s some confusion. Some wondering why they were all just in a studio recording together when they hate each other. So yea this took place in 2010 when they didn’t hate each other as much

Slash, Duff and Matt all hate each other? Have I missed something?!

On 5/2/2020 at 5:58 AM, bassplayer1993 said:

Anyone else at least happy that in some way we got to hear an unreleased VR song?

That's what the song with Slash and Duff is... I don't think they actually re-recorded anything for it, it's just one of the songs they sent out to singers who wanted to audition.

Not a great musical achievement. Just another average power chord led typical late 2000's hard rock song with a generic Slash solo.

Glad that it's out officially now at least.

I agree with you, nothing groundbreaking but a decent song. I'm pretty sure Matt said Slash re-recorded the solo at some point, but yeah it's pretty much a VR leftover.