UYI: The lost (?) Bob Clearmountain mixes

16 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Wait wait wait wait wait, you're telling me that Tom Zutaut, who signed Motley Crue, GnR, and others, is now a used car salesman?!

I'm in the state of shock as you, right now lol.

I hope it's legitimately because he's now... uh... hard to believe I'm saying this but... passionate about selling cars (going from hollywood a&r guy in it's most decadent period, imo). 

It isn't really surprising, though, considering that Tom Zutaut was out of Geffen around 1997 and then tried to work as an independent A&R, at a time when there were major changed in the music industry and many people who worked in the business became unemployed. He has to make a living somehow.

Hey Zoot! I'll buy some beat up old piece of junk on the condition that you stack it with unheard GnR demo cd's. 

But on-topic.... None of this has ever been circulated and possibly doesn't even exist anymore, right? 

Edited by username

1 hour ago, username said:

Hey Zoot! I'll buy some beat up old piece of junk on the condition that you stack it with unheard GnR demo cd's. 

But on-topic.... None of this has ever been circulated and possibly doesn't even exist anymore, right? 

IIRC the Q Sound mixes are around in a stereo format, but they sound like low fidelity shit; possibly the transfer is the culprit? Assuming they are the same mixes that Clearmountain did

I have them only for the purpose of having them (at least they were labeled as q sound versions)

• GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, username said:

It seems Tom implies that they exist.

1 hour ago, Mendez said:

IIRC the Q Sound mixes are around in a stereo format, but they sound like low fidelity shit; possibly the transfer is the culprit? Assuming they are the same mixes that Clearmountain did

I have them only for the purpose of having them (at least they were labeled as q sound versions)

I think these are from the same source as the normal rough mixes that have been around. The Clearmountain mixes are known to not have circulated, although these rough mixes and Q mixes are from when he worked with the band. 

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It seems Tom implies that they exist.

I think these are from the same source as the normal rough mixes that have been around. The Clearmountain mixes are known to not have circulated, although these rough mixes and Q mixes are from when he worked with the band. 

So when slash has mentioned in some interviews that he has the mixes before in a "stripped down version" would these straight from the recording console, or maybe bill prices mixes?.

15 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

So when slash has mentioned in some interviews that he has the mixes before in a "stripped down version" would these straight from the recording console, or maybe bill prices mixes?.

I think those were earlier rough mixes. Not Bill Price's.

6 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Is the mix of KOHD on Days of Thunder from these mixing sessions? Cause if so, I totally get where Niven and Zoot are coming from. That mix was horrible.

No, that was earlier, at around the same time Civil War was recorded (a little later).

4 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

So were Civil War and the DoT version of KOHD still mixed by the same duo that mixed AFD then?

No, I don't think so. They weren't involved in anything after AFD. Lies (the "new" songs) was mixed by the band and Clink, I assume.

Probably they mixed Civil War and KOHD themselves.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

No, I don't think so. They weren't involved in anything after AFD. Lies (the "new" songs) was mixed by the band and Clink, I assume.

Probably they mixed Civil War and KOHD themselves.

Does that suggest that the compilation that Civil War is on might have a different mix than UYI II? 

4 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Does that suggest that the compilation that Civil War is on might have a different mix than UYI II? 

No I think they kept Civil War exactly the same, for whatever reason. Guess they just figured it was good enough, whereas with KOHD they probably saw an opportunity to make it sound better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

They sound the same to me, but I don't have a trained ear to distinguish slight differences in the mix. 

I guess they kept the original mix, so it wasn't remixed by Bill Price.