Unofficial updates on 2020 tour

2 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

GNR had not done a NA arena tour in a sellout capacity since the 90's. It made no sense to jump them straight to all arenas (I could've understood some arenas in big markets).

And as of GNR a NA stadium act, see Metallica as their closest comparison doing also NA stadium tour (and proving you don't need to sellout dates to be successful). But again they had lightly toured NA before that tour.

Currently I'd say GNR can easily do arenas every year in the US or do stadiums every couple years. It's all about supply and demand, and currently GNR have flooded the US market a bit.

But they're still a stadium act no doubt.

How are they a "stadium act no doubt"?  You offer no supporting evidence of this statement at all. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

GNR had not done a NA arena tour in a sellout capacity since the 90's. It made no sense to jump them straight to all arenas (I could've understood some arenas in big markets).

And as of GNR a NA stadium act, see Metallica as their closest comparison doing also NA stadium tour (and proving you don't need to sellout dates to be successful). But again they had lightly toured NA before that tour.

Currently I'd say GNR can easily do arenas every year in the US or do stadiums every couple years. It's all about supply and demand, and currently GNR have flooded the US market a bit.

You've totally lost me. 

So they're a stadium act.....who can't sell out Arenas? But they booked Stadiums for 2020 so they could flog a lot of tickets off at discounted/free prices? Is that what you're trying to say? 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

How are they a "stadium act no doubt"?  You offer no supporting evidence of this statement at all. 

Because they are still playing stadiums?... good enough for you?

20 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

So they're a stadium act.....who can't sell out Arenas? But they booked Stadiums for 2020 so they could flog a lot of tickets off at discounted/free prices? Is that what you're trying to say? 

I believe they did sell out (or close enough) their arena dates? Though again no doubt through reducing prices and such. 

At least going by their tour page on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_in_This_Lifetime..._Tour

Just look at how heavily they've toured NA in 4 years, no wonder fatigue would set in somewhat.

29 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

You've totally lost me. 

Just because a show doesn’t sell out or has discounted/free tixs available it doesn’t necessarily mean the show isn’t profitable or even less profitable than an arena setup. It depends on a number of factors. Certainly GNR gets paid their fee either way if it sells or not. 

Now you can certainly question Guns insistence to play those stadiums instead of having sold out shows in other venues that gives a better experience. This is a reunion cash grab though. They are probably going to bleed it dry until they are forced to adjust. That won’t happen until Promoters stop paying their fee 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

That tour leg should have been great (just like 2010) but there were other factors involved into why it was essentially a flop. 

What were those factors? Genuinely curious as info on the leg can be hard to come by.

5 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

What were those factors? Genuinely curious as info on the leg can be hard to come by.

Next to no promotion and basically the whole Azoff lawsuit. Also, I believe axl wanted CD re-release with remixes and additional covers for that leg, which didnt happen.

Edited by Coma16
Typo

15 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

They werent a theater act in 2011, it was their first US arena tour after the release of CD. That tour leg should have been great (just like 2010) but there were other factors involved into why it was essentially a flop. 

The theater dates were all in early 2012, if I remember right. I went to two of them (Chicago and Detroit). Chicago was pretty full but Detroit was over half empty with free tickets around for anyone who wanted them. 

1 hour ago, GNR_RNR said:

Opinions vary but this sounds a strawman argument 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Next to no promotion and basically the whole Azoff lawsuit. Also, I believe axl wanted CD re-release with remixes and additional covers for that leg, which didnt happen.

you think a lawsuit affected the general public going to see a GNR show? And because different versions of an already poorly received album didn't come out?

man...GNR fans are the most delusional of any fanbase. That lineup was fucking terrible and Axl sounded like shit on the arenas they played beforehand. That's why no one went.

2006 worked well because Axl had been gone for so long and then when he came back he sounded amazing...and if you wanted the rest of GNR at that time, you could just go see Velvet Revolver. 20011/12 had people wondering what the hell he was doing still.

19 minutes ago, WildStar said:

Opinions vary but this sounds a strawman argument 

How so?

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The stadium dates were selling terribly prior to the virus situation, which makes sense due to the fact that they didn't even sell out the US arena tour prior to that. 

Going by:

They did just fine

The stadium dates were selling terribly prior to the virus situation, which makes sense due to the fact that they didn't even sell out the US arena tour prior to that. 

It usually takes a tour to lose $ before promoters reconsider their booking. They very well may have went to the well too many times in 4 yrs. It’s a cash grab for everyone involved and at the end everyone will still come out ahead. 

The question has always been what happens when the $ isn’t there as much as before. Is it still in everyone’s interest to move forward? 

11 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

How so?

Going by:

They did just fine

That source refers to the last tour, not the 2020 one I was referring to. 

Also, with respect to the US arena tour; selling out and doing "just fine" are two different things. 

The fact is that they couldn't sell out a US arena tour, so it was foolish to try to book a stadium tour to follow that up. 

Yes and you were referring to them not selling out arena dates, which is to the contrary of the available dates here.

Right, they sold out 8 of 13 shows. So again, they did not sell out the arena tour. 

9 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Also, with respect to the US arena tour; selling out and doing "just fine" are two different things. 

The fact is that they couldn't sell out a US arena tour, so it was foolish to try to book a stadium tour to follow that up. 

Again see the source and available data for the US arena dates in 2019.

They seemed to sell out just fine.

Not to say that GNR have not massively over-saturated the US market or that these dates were wise. Because at these prices the tour was poorly concieved.

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Right, they sold out 8 of 13 shows. So again, they did not sell out the arena tour. 

I have no data for the other dates so cannot say if they sold out or not, do you?

3 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Again see the source and available data for the US arena dates in 2019.

They seemed to sell out just fine.

Not to say that GNR have not massively over-saturated the US market or that these dates were wise. Because at these prices the tour was poorly concieved.

I have no data for the other dates so cannot say if they sold out or not, do you?

If it's not readily available on the internet, than neither of us would have it. I do know from watching the arena tour progress here that many dates were not sold out. Some were, but many weren't. So why book yourself into stadiums following an arena tour that wasn't sold out? 

Beyond that, the sales numbers for the 2020 stadium tour showed just how low interest in a GNR stadium show in the major markets is. Again, we'll never know how all of that was going to turn out, but that actually works in GNRs favor. 

9 hours ago, Gavin82 said:

Also May 11th in UK is nx re view & they are not just going too allow concerts then some small shops will open for sure

It would have too be Sep / Oct in EU cant see them allowing concert then after that we dont have the weather for it

TM-graphic-pg5-v2.jpg

• Like 1

If it's not readily available on the internet, than neither of us would have it. I do know from watching the arena tour progress here that many dates were not sold out. Some were, but many weren't. So why book yourself into stadiums following an arena tour that wasn't sold out? 

Because the arena tour sold well enough to apparently warrant a stadium tour. Attendance was very high so I guess it made sense to someone for GNR to play larger markets in larger venues.

Just because dates don't instantly sell out (or sell out at all) doesn't mean the dates don't succeed.

Personally I think the dates would've done fine in the end, however they would have needed to drop prices as they seemed insanely high for some reason.

Because the arena tour sold well enough to apparently warrant a stadium tour. Attendance was very high so I guess it made sense to someone for GNR to play larger markets in larger venues.

Just because dates don't instantly sell out (or sell out at all) doesn't mean the dates don't succeed.

Personally I think the dates would've done fine in the end, however they would have needed to drop prices as they seemed insanely high for some reason.

Just because it "made sense to someone" doesn't mean it actually makes sense haha. 

As far as the 2020 stadium tour goes, I'm obviously on the other side of the fence from you but as previously stated, we'll just never know. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Just because it "made sense to someone" doesn't mean it actually makes sense haha. 

As far as the 2020 stadium tour goes, I'm obviously on the other side of the fence from you but as previously stated, we'll just never know. 

they could barely sell out a small hollywood theater last year. Yes, I know there were credit card stipulations and some higher priced packages...but those higher priced packages aren't that much more expensive than a lot of the stadium tickets.

At least out here, they have absolutely over done it. They have played 7 LA shows with only slightly changing the setlist. People are bored. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

49 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

you think a lawsuit affected the general public going to see a GNR show? And because different versions of an already poorly received album didn't come out?

man...GNR fans are the most delusional of any fanbase. That lineup was fucking terrible and Axl sounded like shit on the arenas they played beforehand. That's why no one went.

2006 worked well because Axl had been gone for so long and then when he came back he sounded amazing...and if you wanted the rest of GNR at that time, you could just go see Velvet Revolver. 20011/12 had people wondering what the hell he was doing still.

Rio 2011 pretty much killed any hype for that tour (and line-up in general). Even the televised Axl interview with Eddie Trunk didn't help much.

Axl-Rose-608x500.jpg

(That said, the Seattle 2011 show is still one of the best GNR shows I've been to)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

At least out here, they have absolutely over done it. They have played 7 LA shows with only slightly changing the setlist. People are bored. 

Agreed GNR have massively over-saturated NA during the tour.

Though I disagree the setlist is relevant to attendance. The majority don't follow each show and just want to hear the hits.

Many fans just can't keep paying 'once in a lifetime' prices every year. Put the prices down and tickets would walk out the door.