Unofficial updates on 2020 tour

8 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Agreed GNR have massively over-saturated NA during the tour.

Though I disagree the setlist is relevant to attendance. The majority don't follow each show and just want to hear the hits.

Many fans just can't keep paying 'once in a lifetime' prices every year. Put the prices down and tickets would walk out the door.

The 'majority' trotted out to see Axl and Slash together once as they knew a few things from the radio in the past. 

The 'majority' have now moved on to the next act on their nostalgia bucket-list. 

They most certainly are no longer a stadium act because of this. As evidenced by them not selling out Arenas. And the sales of the Stadium dates. 

They have been playing the same set-list for years now, with only very minor alterations here and there. 

Claiming other than this disregards all semblance of realism or evidence. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

they could barely sell out a small hollywood theater last year. Yes, I know there were credit card stipulations and some higher priced packages...but those higher priced packages aren't that much more expensive than a lot of the stadium tickets.

At least out here, they have absolutely over done it. They have played 7 LA shows with only slightly changing the setlist. People are bored. 

Absolutely. The horse has been flogged to death, and the evidence is there for all to see. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GNR_RNR said:

Because they are still playing stadiums?... good enough for you?

I believe they did sell out (or close enough) their arena dates? Though again no doubt through reducing prices and such. 

At least going by their tour page on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_in_This_Lifetime..._Tour

Just look at how heavily they've toured NA in 4 years, no wonder fatigue would set in somewhat.

Uh no.....they can "play" stadiums all they want, but it is well documented this tour is not selling well at all in stadiums in the US

• Like 1

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

The 'majority' trotted out to see Axl and Slash together once as they knew a few things from the radio in the past. 

The 'majority' have now moved on to the next act on their nostalgia bucket-list. 

They most certainly are no longer a stadium act because of this. As evidenced by them not selling out Arenas. And the sales of the Stadium dates. 

They have been playing the same set-list for years now, with only very minor alterations here and there. 

Nah, again they still remain a stadium band, especially in the major markets (as shown by the tour even being booked in the first place). It's just that the prices they can charge will of course have to reflect the fact the reunion is now 4 years old.

They've consistently shown that they can pull off successful high attendance NA stadium tours in the summer and arena tours in the autumn/winter. Which is to say nothing of the rest of the world.

But they were never going to sell the bulk of these tickets at the prices they were asking but I guess the promoter wanted to boost their profits a little. Prices would've come down to what the market would pay and the seats would be filled as they have been on the rest of the tour.

IMO the setlist has little to no impact on the ticketsales, in the same way anyone aside from Axl & Slash being in the band doesn't really impact ticket sales.

17 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Rio 2011 pretty much killed any hype for that tour (and line-up in general). Even the televised Axl interview with Eddie Trunk didn't help much.

Nah most casual fans probably haven't even seen Rio 2011 (Lucky them).

A lot of people just didn't want to see GNR without slash.

1 minute ago, tsinindy said:

Uh no.....they can "play" stadiums all they want, but it is well documented this tour is not selling well at all in stadiums in the US

Imagine people not buying tickets right now... wonder why?

2 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Nah, again they still remain a stadium band, especially in the major markets (as shown by the tour even being booked in the first place). It's just that the prices they can charge will of course have to reflect the fact the reunion is now 4 years old.

They've consistently shown that they can pull off successful high attendance NA stadium tours in the summer and arena tours in the autumn/winter. Which is to say nothing of the rest of the world.

But they were never going to sell the bulk of these tickets at the prices they were asking but I guess the promoter wanted to boost their profits a little. Prices would've come down to what the market would pay and the seats would be filled as they have been on the rest of the tour.

IMO the setlist has little to no impact on the ticketsales, in the same way anyone aside from Axl & Slash being in the band doesn't really impact ticket sales.

What on earth makes you think because a band once did stadiums they are always a stadium band? 

There is NOTHING to support this view. Just saying "nah, again they still remain a stadium band" isn't an argument. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

1 minute ago, GNR_RNR said:

He was referring to the dismal ticket sales well before the virus issue of course. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

It's a real shame they can't put a little more effort in. I happily spent a fortune flying out from the UK for the first two Vegas shows and again a fair amount to see them in London but I'm not going to bother any more until we get a significant set list change and some new music.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GNR_RNR said:

Agreed GNR have massively over-saturated NA during the tour.

Though I disagree the setlist is relevant to attendance. The majority don't follow each show and just want to hear the hits.

Many fans just can't keep paying 'once in a lifetime' prices every year. Put the prices down and tickets would walk out the door.

The setlist may not matter to the degree that it matters to hardcore fans, but even a casual fan going to the show twice and seeing the same opening song and a 10 minute version of KOHD in the latter half of the show has them leaving saying "it was the same show as last year". They may not know every obscure song but they aren't stupid enough not to realize they are watching the same thing over and over. I guess I mean the overall show feels the same, not just the setlist and when you play the same market 3-7 times over a few years, that wears on even the casual fans.

47 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

I don't know if you were around at the time but there was a fair bit of hype from 'general rock fans' going into the Rio show. The 2010 tour was generally well-received (aside from the drama of Dublin and Reading Festival). But even for those who didn't watch the Rio show live, they certainly heard the negative press the next day. That performance did a ton of damage to that lineup.

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

What on earth makes you think because a band once did stadiums they are always a stadium band? 

There is NOTHING to support this view. Just saying "nah, again they still remain a stadium band" isn't an argument. 

Again not what I said. Perhaps read it again.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

He was referring to the dismal ticket sales well before the virus issue of course. 

So before December last year? Not only will the virus have impacted initial sales it will have halted any additional sales in the interim. 

But the main factor that no doubt limited initial sales will have been the prices, they were crazy, on top of the general over-saturation of the NA market, think they've pretty much drained it for a while. In fact delaying these shows may actually be a blessing as it will give the casuals time to reset.

39 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

The setlist may not matter to the degree that it matters to hardcore fans, but even a casual fan going to the show twice and seeing the same opening song and a 10 minute version of KOHD in the latter half of the show has them leaving saying "it was the same show as last year". They may not know every obscure song but they aren't stupid enough not to realize they are watching the same thing over and over. I guess I mean the overall show feels the same, not just the setlist and when you play the same market 3-7 times over a few years, that wears on even the casual fans.

Again I don't think that will impact most fans buying tickets. I've seen acts that play pretty much the same setlist for years, they still do fine. 

Of course we on here would like to see it massively changed every night, but it's just not how GNR are approaching the setlist. 

But I do think your point at the end makes the most sense, I think general over-saturation of the NA market is more to blame than anything to do with the setlist. The bulk of fans that want to just see the hits can only be expected to see them so many times in 4 years at these prices.

47 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't know if you were around at the time but there was a fair bit of hype from 'general rock fans' going into the Rio show. The 2010 tour was generally well-received (aside from the drama of Dublin and Reading Festival). But even for those who didn't watch the Rio show live, they certainly heard the negative press the next day. That performance did a ton of damage to that lineup.

I can barely remember the time around then, I remember checking the vids either the day after or a couple days later and being so let down from the standard set by the 2010 shows.

It is still very niche, the majority of people outside of Latin america probably don't even know about rock in rio, I only knew about it because of the shocking 2011 show.

I'd like to say 2017 was better but it was a ropy as hell show (Wichita Lineman sounded good though).

On 4/17/2020 at 12:14 PM, RussTCB said:

Very cool idea, thanks for doing that. Personally, I don't think ajy big tours are happening for the remainder of 2020.

I altered the name of the thread slightly just so everyone knows this is user information and doesn't think the actual band lifted a finger to update anyone. 

I agree with you. I doubt there will be any concerts in 2021 unless we have a vaccine by then? I'm not sure anymore about anything.

I just hope they outright cancel my concerts and refund money. If/when my bands tour again, I'll worry about getting tickets then. I don't like to make long range plans anymore. You just never know what shit will hit the fan?

5 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Again not what I said. Perhaps read it again.

So before December last year? Not only will the virus have impacted initial sales it will have halted any additional sales in the interim. 

But the main factor that no doubt limited initial sales will have been the prices, they were crazy, on top of the general over-saturation of the NA market, think they've pretty much drained it for a while. In fact delaying these shows may actually be a blessing as it will give the casuals time to reset.

Again I don't think that will impact most fans buying tickets. I've seen acts that play pretty much the same setlist for years, they still do fine. 

Of course we on here would like to see it massively changed every night, but it's just not how GNR are approaching the setlist. 

But I do think your point at the end makes the most sense, I think general over-saturation of the NA market is more to blame than anything to do with the setlist. The bulk of fans that want to just see the hits can only be expected to see them so many times in 4 years at these prices.

I can barely remember the time around then, I remember checking the vids either the day after or a couple days later and being so let down from the standard set by the 2010 shows.

It is still very niche, the majority of people outside of Latin america probably don't even know about rock in rio, I only knew about it because of the shocking 2011 show.

I'd like to say 2017 was better but it was a ropy as hell show (Wichita Lineman sounded good though).

Yeah, I'm out of this one now. 

Utter refusal to look at the facts. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah, I'm out of this one now. 

Utter refusal to look at the facts. 

And ultimately, that's what we're dealing with here.

It's a fact that the 2020 stadium tour did not sell well between when it went on sale and when the virus outbreak hit the US, which was early March. 

To suggest that the virus outbreak has anything to do with the awful sales of the tour as opposed to what it really is, which is lack of interest, is just ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yep. The RIR 2011 performance was widely publicized and was in no way only seen by casual fans. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

It's a fact that the 2020 stadium tour did not sell well between when it went on sale and when the virus outbreak hit the US, which was early March. 

Did I say otherwise?

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Yep. The RIR 2011 performance was widely publicized and was in no way only seen by casual fans. 

Was it though?

Yes in Latin America (one of their biggest festivals), Yes for GNR fans (Massive exposure for nu-GNR) but for your average person on the street? Nah.

I've a number of friends who've attended GNR reunion shows and none of them know about rio 2011 when I've brought it up in conversation. Most 'casual' fans (and a good chunk of hardcore) see GNR as not existing from 1993 - 2016.

No more to add to this as there's clearly a difference of perspective that isn't going anywhere fast.

1 minute ago, GNR_RNR said:

Did I say otherwise?

Yes, here's what you said:

"So before December last year? Not only will the virus have impacted initial sales it will have halted any additional sales in the interim. 

2 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Was it though?

Yes. 

59 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

And ultimately, that's what we're dealing with here.

To suggest that the virus outbreak has anything to do with the awful sales of the tour as opposed to what it really is, which is lack of interest, is just ridiculous. 

I would say the damage was done many times beforehand. It made the rounds. Feeds in to how many perceive the band/Axl at times. Some of it undeserved, much of it of their own doing 

I want to see GN'R this summer, though I do believe the North American leg will almost certainly be cancelled. Even though the Boston show is still three months out, it seems from my perspective that the governor of Massachusetts is going to be very slow in re-opening businesses, and there will no doubt be "social distancing" (I've grown to hate that fucking term) at all indoor and outdoor functions.

If North America is cancelled, and if the plan was to gradually introduce new material in their shows, I would like to think that Team Brazil would learn an important lesson. That being, don't tease the fans into buying tickets for an "all new show", because now the opportunity to make mad cash for one or two new songs is now circling the drain. You should have played "Hard School" in Mexico City when the opportunity was there. From there, a single could have been dropped to radio and iTunes. Now, there's no momentum at all with the band.

Team Brazil has always been in control of what the fans can buy, what they can see, and what they can hear. Now, something bigger than them is going to probably fuck them all hard in their wallets.

15 minutes ago, Gavin82 said:

Ive not had a reply i just know a show been cancelled in Cardiff in December this new social distancing looks set too end of 2020 by looks maybe its too do with that.

I don't think the cancellation will have anything to do with Coronavirus to be honest if it's December.