Music on the go (Streaming, iPod, Music player etc)

Dean

Hi folks,

What do you guys use for your music fix when out of the house? Do you rely on Spotify on your phone? Still use an iPod or alternate music players that can play FLAC etc?

I still carry both an iPod and phone with me everywhere, which has never been fashionable but I always liked having the both separate. 

I recently came to the end of my storage capacity on the iPod. 64gb has lasted me 8 years almost, so recently forked out £400 for the 256gb iPod and I absolutely despise the interface of the music app. It’s exactly the same as the iPhone which is horrendous, but also stupid of me to think it’d have the same layout as the 5th gen iPod touch which is a thing of beauty. Apple don’t give a fuck about iPods anymore and neither do the general public, so I can’t expect much more.

I’ll be returning this, but wanted to see if any of you can offer alternatives to look at? Also wanted to see what you folks mostly use.

Take care and keep safe!!!

12 minutes ago, BadApples99 said:

I put an micro sd card in my phone for more storage. 128gb is more than enough to store my ripped cd-files on. I don't know if you have an iPhone, but it's a great solution for non-Apple users.

Thanks for the response my good sir! I have an iPhone, but I absolutely despise the GUI when it comes to the music app. They've shat all over it IMO with the updates over the last few years. It actually sounds ridiculous to be complaining about something so minuscule! The other issue with using my phone is I don't want to be using it when out running etc, I'd rather just let my iPod take that battering!

• Like 1

I use Spotify, which I know sucks for the artists but I make up for it by buying vinyls for listening at home

Streaming services are super practical, you can listen to anything you want for like 10€/month.. So I definitely recommend Spotify 

26 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

I use Spotify, which I know sucks for the artists but I make up for it by buying vinyls for listening at home

Streaming services are super practical, you can listen to anything you want for like 10€/month.. So I definitely recommend Spotify 

I have Spotify aswell, it's a bit of an odd one. I just prefer having a device where I have all my music whenever I want it - whether it be in the city or a place with no reception.

My old 5th gen couldn't even have Spotify downloaded haha, I only found that out the other day. I did have it on it a million years ago though, but deleted it due to space. 

Ive been listening on a Walkman. I love terrestrial radio and of course Im also listening to cassettes. I have a few songs on my phone that I mainly use as 'wrap up music' like an award show. I just start playing it out loud when someone can please feel free to walk away, lol. Or, Fresh and Clean which allows me to just hot step away from someone while leaving a smile on their face.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, soon said:

Ive been listening on a Walkman. I love terrestrial radio and of course Im also listening to cassettes. I have a few songs on my phone that I mainly use as 'wrap up music' like an award show. I just start playing it out loud when someone can please feel free to walk away, lol. Or, Fresh and Clean which allows me to just hot step away from someone while leaving a smile on their face.

I love stuff like this!

When I'm in the house, Vinyl is my main source for just chilling and taking in the music. I wish I kept all of my cassettes from when I was a nipper. Actually got family to get me a few GN'R cassettes over the last few Christmases if they were struggling for ideas!

Edited by Dean
  • GNFNR 1

24 minutes ago, Dean said:

I love stuff like this!

When I'm in the house, Vinyl is my main source for just chilling and taking in the music. I wish I kept all of my cassettes from when I was a nipper. Actually got family to get me a few GN'R cassettes over the last few Christmases if they were struggling for ideas!

Nice! Yeah Ive got some vinyl going at home too. Its fun and so warm! At home is also where I use modern tech more - I listen/stream The Dead on YT and on the Archive. 

I lucked out and got cassettes of AFD and Lies in a box of tapes I bought at a garage sale, late last year. You might find some good stuff too? Happy Hunting!

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Dean said:

I have Spotify aswell, it's a bit of an odd one. I just prefer having a device where I have all my music whenever I want it - whether it be in the city or a place with no reception.

My old 5th gen couldn't even have Spotify downloaded haha, I only found that out the other day. I did have it on it a million years ago though, but deleted it due to space. 

If you're a Spotify subscriber you can download songs/albums to play offline, so you can always choose a bunch of things to have at the ready if you're venturing somewhere without service and still want some tunes on the go.

To answer the original question - I'm a big Spotify user. Deep down I will always prefer physical media but to have instant access to literally everything without needing to spend hours ripping CDs and transferring files is great. I've discovered plenty of new music, I can search up anything at the ready, and I can plug my phone into anything (bluetooth speaker, aux port in vehicle, stereo, etc...) so I don't need an additional device to run it.

I hardly buy CDs ever since getting Spotify. I've switched almost exclusively to purchasing vinyl which is my preferred way to listen to music at home anyways. On the go? Couldn't really care less anymore. Spotify it is.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, James Bond said:

If you're a Spotify subscriber you can download songs/albums to play offline, so you can always choose a bunch of things to have at the ready if you're venturing somewhere without service and still want some tunes on the go.

To answer the original question - I'm a big Spotify user. Deep down I will always prefer physical media but to have instant access to literally everything without needing to spend hours ripping CDs and transferring files is great. I've discovered plenty of new music, I can search up anything at the ready, and I can plug my phone into anything (bluetooth speaker, aux port in vehicle, stereo, etc...) so I don't need an additional device to run it.

I hardly buy CDs ever since getting Spotify. I've switched almost exclusively to purchasing vinyl which is my preferred way to listen to music at home anyways. On the go? Couldn't really care less anymore. Spotify it is.

You're 100% right. It's amazing having so much content at your fingertips. I was late getting Spotify, I never signed up until 2014 - by that point everyone was using it. 

The only issue with saving music on it though is if it's on my iPod, it'll take up more space, which was the reason I got shot of it. I keep it on my phone, mostly for when I'm sat in the office, it's definitely handy to have. 

I'll always love physical media, though I couldn't tell you the last CD's I purchased other than a Rod Stewart boxset I mistook for Vinyl :lol:, but nothing will beat putting on a record and appreciating the album art in all of it's glory. CD's never really had that effect on me. 

3 hours ago, Dean said:

You're 100% right. It's amazing having so much content at your fingertips. I was late getting Spotify, I never signed up until 2014 - by that point everyone was using it. 

The only issue with saving music on it though is if it's on my iPod, it'll take up more space, which was the reason I got shot of it. I keep it on my phone, mostly for when I'm sat in the office, it's definitely handy to have. 

I'll always love physical media, though I couldn't tell you the last CD's I purchased other than a Rod Stewart boxset I mistook for Vinyl :lol:, but nothing will beat putting on a record and appreciating the album art in all of it's glory. CD's never really had that effect on me. 

I was also late to Spotify. I used it free for probably two years before I finally got tired of the ads. :lol:

I've gotten into the habit of just switching in and out my downloaded songs if space starts becoming an issue. That said, I've got a decent data plan on my phone so I don't even download that much. I usually just stream it but I can see why that might not be an option for some.

With you on vinyl all the way! Appreciating full sides and giant artwork in all its glory.

• Like 1

Appreciate the comments folks!

Had a few beers and started building a library to put onto this iPod. Going to persevere and give myself til Monday to see what the verdict is. 

Sure, it doesn't display the artist profile picture when opened, but the album art is displayed a lot bigger when you are selecting what you want to listen to. I may just be a dinosaur and reluctant to move away from what I'm familiar with! :lol:

14 hours ago, Dean said:

Hi folks,

What do you guys use for your music fix when out of the house? Do you rely on Spotify on your phone? Still use an iPod or alternate music players that can play FLAC etc?

I still carry both an iPod and phone with me everywhere, which has never been fashionable but I always liked having the both separate. 

I recently came to the end of my storage capacity on the iPod. 64gb has lasted me 8 years almost, so recently forked out £400 for the 256gb iPod and I absolutely despise the interface of the music app. It’s exactly the same as the iPhone which is horrendous, but also stupid of me to think it’d have the same layout as the 5th gen iPod touch which is a thing of beauty. Apple don’t give a fuck about iPods anymore and neither do the general public, so I can’t expect much more.

I’ll be returning this, but wanted to see if any of you can offer alternatives to look at? Also wanted to see what you folks mostly use.

Take care and keep safe!!!

I have an iPod Touch 256GB and what I did was downloaded the "Vox" app - mostly because it supports FLAC and high resolution files but I also use it as my main library interface.  It isn't perfectly customizable, at least the free version but give it a look and see if you like it better than the Library layout of the default app!

There are a few different apps like that which can import your library into it if you simply just want a different layout and way to see he library

Edited by WhazUp
  • Thanks 1

I use Spotify. I usually buy an album that I really like on CD then rip it to FLAC, so I dont really feel bad for the artist.

I only have FLAC files on my phone for very specific things like the MSFL Remasters of UYI records, or a live offocial soundboard of a song (Metallica/Red Hot Chili Peppers)

For those who want a cheaper, practical solution, modding an Ipod video, or buying a modded Ipod video from Ebay with expanded storage is an ace fix. No modern Ipod user interface, just plug in itunes with your library and go. The only downside is having to upload things in AIFF, rather than FLAC. Cuz... well Apple is dumb

22 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I'd love an MP3 player without any sort of internet functionality.

Does such a thing exist?

Or am I gonna have to go back to 2002? 

I became disillusioned with society a while back to the extent that I debated grabbing one of those old Nokia's from the turn of the Millennium as away of rebelling against those that have their faces in their phones when at restaurants, bars etc. At least I'd be able to play snake while they do!!!

If you end up going back to '02, tell Mothergoose I said hi. 

13 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

For those who want a cheaper, practical solution, modding an Ipod video, or buying a modded Ipod video from Ebay with expanded storage is an ace fix. No modern Ipod user interface, just plug in itunes with your library and go. The only downside is having to upload things in AIFF, rather than FLAC. Cuz... well Apple is dumb

I've been wanting to do this with an old one that I've got kicking about the house! I've watched a few videos and find it fascinating, would love to see if I could pull it off. Probably would give it away as a gift though as I use my iPod all the time in the car via Bluetooth which unfortunately would limit the use I'd have for the other one. 

9 hours ago, moreblack said:

I only use my ipods for the stuff that's not available on Spotify, otherwise it's streaming all the way.

There was a period back in 2014 where there was a surprisingly large number of high profile artists that didn't have their material available on Spotify, Peter Gabriel being the big one that comes to mind. Didn't AC/DC hold off for years before making their content available online too?

My friend was telling me he's going to try out Apple Music as he's got a free trial. Curious to know what he makes of it after using Spotify for the longest time. Haven't used it myself, but may check it out.

Decided I'm going to stick with the iPod instead of sending it back. In hindsight, I can't believe that I was that raging that I came on here and made a thread to vent haha. At the end of the day, they are incredibly minuscule changes that aren't going to affect my existence in any way so I'm better trying to just accept it and move on while listening to Atlas. Life is a lot better than what it was on Friday evening :lol:

• Like 1