Sirus Xm Launches Several Classic Rock Artist Stations

I don't have XM but how do these stations work? They must play the artist along with artists who are similar right? 

I hope so, because that's really the only way there could be a GN'R station given that they only have 5 studio albums. 

Edit- just read the blabbermouth article. Seems like it'll be about what I was thinking. 

28 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I don't have XM but how do these stations work? They must play the artist along with artists who are similar right? 

I hope so, because that's really the only way there could be a GN'R station given that they only have 5 studio albums. 

Edit- just read the blabbermouth article. Seems like it'll be about what I was thinking. 

I only know the Pearl Jam station semi-well and they play a ton of different Pearl Jam concerts from the nearly three decades of their official bootleg series, B sides, album cuts, etc. along with similar artists.  You can tune in and always get a different live version of a song, or a concert you have never heard in full before

With a Guns N' Roses station I imagine like you said, a ton of repetition probably due to the small catalogue and lack of many live soundboards/albums to broadcast.  There is only so many times they can play the live at the Apollo, or the Forum broadcasts lol 

This would be a great way to promote GNR with a "from the vault" series playing new shows weekly from soundboards of all eras of GNR from their endless vault - but I cannot imagine that ever actually happening haha

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

A couple years ago they did the gnr channel to promote the Apollo show.  They play 3 or 4 guns songs then 1 or 2 songs by bands who inspired them like Queen or Aerosmith.  Live tracks and solo stuff by the band.  I listened for a month straight and it was really good.  The app is free for the month of May so anybody can check it out.  The weirdest thing was actually hearing Chinese Democracy songs pop up on the radio.

2 hours ago, Swampfox said:

A couple years ago they did the gnr channel to promote the Apollo show.  They play 3 or 4 guns songs then 1 or 2 songs by bands who inspired them like Queen or Aerosmith.  Live tracks and solo stuff by the band.  I listened for a month straight and it was really good.  The app is free for the month of May so anybody can check it out.  The weirdest thing was actually hearing Chinese Democracy songs pop up on the radio.

I remember that. So it'll probably be the same thing again this time.

Maybe we should send them 'Welcome to the Jungle - Live from Iceland 2018', it would be interesting whether they play it or not 

Or even better: 'This I Love - Live from Berlin 2018' (Edit: I just realized there's no soundboard from Berlin) 

Edited by SAU3R
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

Maybe we should send them 'Welcome to the Jungle - Live from Iceland 2018', it would be interesting whether they play it or not 

Or even better: 'This I Love - Live from Berlin 2018' (Edit: I just realized there's no soundboard from Berlin) 

Funnily enough I had never heard this version, despite seeing it constantly being mocked on the forum. Really is bad, isn't it? Also have just had a quick look through Setlist.fm as well because I actually couldn't recall hearing it again on the shows I attended in 2018 and seems that this rendition really was the nail in the coffin for the song and that it has been quietly retired.

8 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

So GN'R radio is just gonna be Motley Crue, Poison, '80s Aerosmith, ACDC, and whatever other '80s bands are the most cliche 🤷

I will never understand why TB only seem to focus on GNR in the 80's.

I've always viewed GNR as a great management/product opportunity as they straddle so many demographics and even the 80s/90s yet they only ever seem to care about the 80s.

9 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

So GN'R radio is just gonna be Motley Crue, Poison, '80s Aerosmith, ACDC, and whatever other '80s bands are the most cliche 🤷

I had listened to the GnR Sirius radio a bit at the time of the Apollo show (I can't remember how I did that - if it was free, through VPN or if it was ripped and uploaded somewhere). As far as I can remember, there wasn't much of "hair bands" (if any at all). There was of Rolling Stones, Beatles, Queen, Zeppelin, Elton John, old Aerosmith, AC/DC and also The Stooges, Ramones, Sex Pistols etc.

Ive been subscribing and watching the live streaming monday videos that metallica have been releasing during the whole lockdown and they have been so good!.

Metallica are really in tune with the whole social media and their fans, and not afraid of showing llive videos of their old shows. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Swampfox said:

Free for the month of May is news to me. Thanks for the heads up! 

11 hours ago, Swampfox said:

Anyone else remember when they said “Now it’s time for a deep cut” and then they played you can’t put your arms around a memory on the station. What a troll 

1 hour ago, Gimpy Hewitt said:

Anyone else remember when they said “Now it’s time for a deep cut” and then they played you can’t put your arms around a memory on the station. What a troll 

I've read reviews where they class 'Estranged' as a deepcut/pissbreak.

• Wow 1

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I had listened to the GnR Sirius radio a bit at the time of the Apollo show (I can't remember how I did that - if it was free, through VPN or if it was ripped and uploaded somewhere). As far as I can remember, there wasn't much of "hair bands" (if any at all). There was of Rolling Stones, Beatles, Queen, Zeppelin, Elton John, old Aerosmith, AC/DC and also The Stooges, Ramones, Sex Pistols etc.

A little closer to what I would hope. Hopefully it's not just Gimme Shelter and Bohemian Rhapsody. I swear, the Stones and Queen have a massive catalogue of great songs; and only about 3 or 4 songs get played. At least that's my experience.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Ive been subscribing and watching the live streaming monday videos that metallica have been releasing during the whole lockdown and they have been so good!.

Metallica are really in tune with the whole social media and their fans, and not afraid of showing llive videos of their old shows. 

As my other favourite band - I’m well versed in how MetallicA operate and agree wholeheartedly. Their deluxe boxes are awesome, streaming site with loads of gig recordings and videos, free streams etc. I’d bet that’s mostly Lars who is pretty well in tune with the fans and modern practices.

And of course, having a management behemoth in Q-Prime managing them is a big thing.....

Edited by DTJ80