What if 2000's line up of GN'R would be more commercial

Beetween 1999 and 2014 there were 3 all different line ups, but only one album, only one tour, any one official video (Better wasn't realesed).

If instead, they would have relased Chinese Democracy in 2001 (between RIR III and The Joint Shows), with the ten songs of Rough Mixes I, two or three official videos (ChiDem, The Blues, and one of the May Songas), Chinese Democracy World Tour (2001-2003).
In 2004 the RIR Lisboa show , as the last one of Bucket, branding some new songs, and a seventh album (Maybe colled SEVEN)at the end of 2004, with the rest of the realesed Chinese Democracy, and official videos of Better, IRS, and This I Love, with a SEVEN WORLD TOUR 2005-2008, with official Pro Shots, an MTV Unplugged, and any colaboration.
The rest of the Chinese Democracy era songs, realesed in DEC 2008, with the first Bumble and Frank album, with Hardschool, Quick Song and Oklahoma as hits (really radio hits), colaborations with Izzy Stradlin, Matt Sorum, Lars Ulrich, Seba Bach, and the mytic Beltrami's The General and Leave Me Alone, folowing by the 2009-2012 tour, and Robin never left the band, brinding a 4th album in 2014.

Would this stage overshadow the past and made a new image of GN'R in the world?

Was never going to fly - should have called it a solo project and the world would have been far more open minded towards it. At the end of the day, Gun 86-93 had some of the most iconic rock songs and videos ever made. Nu-Guns, while an interesting proposition with a couple of  good songs - didn't have any of the magic, the look - let alone the brilliant songs and chemistry

• Like 2

I would've loved to hear more music from the line-ups with Robin, Bucket, Brain, Tommy and Chris. 

Mastering the Rough Mixes like it was suggested from Axl could've made three epic new albums. Instead of that, we got an overproduced mess with additions of later musicians. 

Potential singles: Chinese Democracy, Better, Oklahoma, Atlas Shrugged, Perhaps, Madagascar 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

This album should've come out in 2000-2001:

Chinese Democracy
Oh My God
State Of Grace
Perhaps
Madagascar
Hardschool
Rhiad
There Was A Time
The Blues
IRS
Prostitute

If they'd regularly released new music it might've been easier to accept them as their own thing (eventually), but it's just another case of "what could've been". If they ever release a movie or official biography of GNR, it should be called "Wasted Potential".

• Like 2

Just now, Gordon Comstock said:

This album should've come out in 2000-2001:

Chinese Democracy
Oh My God
State Of Grace
Perhaps
Madagascar
Hardschool
Rhiad
There Was A Time
The Blues
IRS
Prostitute

If they'd regularly released new music it might've been easier to accept them as their own thing (eventually), but it's just another case of "what could've been". If they ever release a movie or official biography of GNR, it should be called "Wasted Potential".

Atlas and Catcher

2 minutes ago, Pharaoh said:

Atlas and Catcher

Both good songs but their first album should've been mostly rockers. Come out swinging, then release Atlas, Catcher, If The World etc. on the following albums with more experimental stuff. But if they were gonna include either, then Catcher > Atlas.

4 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

No matter what Axl released or did with the band it never would have overshadowed the past.  GnR was too iconic

Agree.

After listening  to the 2000 intentions material, axl should have released the songs under WAR. When hearing the 2000 intentions there is easily 2 or 3 songs that would have had good radio airplay. Had he done the songs under a solo name,  axl wouldnt feel he was in competition with outdoing the GNR material and would have been a more relaxing experience for him. I think even Geffen would have promoted the material well under a solo name,  and not got the pushback under jimmy Iovine that the 2000 intentions stuff did. Axl really created a rod for his own back.

With the new lineup and new songs it would mean not having to sing jungle, scom all the old songs he probably didnt feel comfortable singing.  I feel if he had done it solo he would have been successful.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Huh? UYI got released and had a massive, years long tour to support it. So we do know how things turned out for that line up. 

2 members were gone before the UYI albums released, although Izzy completed the entire recording process. Not saying Steven would've made a huge impact, but still, the UYI lineup, with Gilby and Matt, never wrote material together. The Appetite didn't get a full sophomore album (unless you count the material on Lies as 'new' because most people didn't have access to Live Like A suicide). My point simply is that every lineup had turmoil, almost no stability. I would love to see what each lineup would have produced if given the time and they could actually release something. I really think a follow up with the UYI lineup would've been great. NuGNR was together for a while, but never amounted to releases proportionate to that time together 

• Like 1

Nothing! Absolutely NOTHING!!

Have they managed to come up with one single song of GNR leve in 20 years?

No.   They were talentless hired musicians who played parts of others that played or came up before them.  A rock band doesn't become big through PR but quality.  You can have best PR in the world and you will still be unknown bend in the ocean of other unknown bands.

Those bands had 0 creativity or charisma and it has proven that Ax without iz/Slash/Duff ain't worth shit.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

No.   They were talentless hired musicians who played parts of others that played or came up before them.  A rock band doesn't become big through PR but quality.  You can have best PR in the world and you will still be unknown bend in the ocean of other unknown bands.

Those bands had 0 creativity or charisma and it has proven that Ax without iz/Slash/Duff ain't worth shit.

lol.

There Was A Time, Prostitute, Catcher In The Rye, The Blues, and Better are all top-tier tracks. State Of Grace and Perhaps had potential to be great, too. They're certainly better than all the filler tracks on UYI.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

48 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

Nonsense! 

The band were largely praised. Selective memory at work again. Axl being Axl derailed the momentum each and every time things picked up. 

Axl on his own was an arena act at peak, besides festival shows or SA. He was far from nothing without Slash and Duff, but he was never going to climb back to playing stadiums until they came back... no matter how good or commercially successful a record he might make. 

That is down to his shit acting, as well as years of stories that he never corrected from former members, making him a complete villain in every situation including situations where he was actually the good guy (more bad than good i'm Sure). Compile that with a record that really was not created to please anybody but himself, a bunch of management teams that he either wouldn't work with or who were too job scared to be effective! And him sitting on material and holding down his band members.... And you get the clusterfuck that basically imploded between 2011-2014.

Did he write some great songs equal to the classic era? Yes. They are very different, but they are great none the less. 

• GNFNR 1

58 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

lol.

There Was A Time, Prostitute, Catcher In The Rye, The Blues, and Better are all top-tier tracks. State Of Grace and Perhaps had potential to be great, too. They're certainly better than all the filler tracks on UYI.

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Nonsense! 

The band were largely praised. Selective memory at work again. Axl being Axl derailed the momentum each and every time things picked up. 

Axl on his own was an arena act at peak, besides festival shows or SA. He was far from nothing without Slash and Duff, but he was never going to climb back to playing stadiums until they came back... no matter how good or commercially successful a record he might make. 

That is down to his shit acting, as well as years of stories that he never corrected from former members, making him a complete villain in every situation including situations where he was actually the good guy (more bad than good i'm Sure). Compile that with a record that really was not created to please anybody but himself, a bunch of management teams that he either wouldn't work with or who were too job scared to be effective! And him sitting on material and holding down his band members.... And you get the clusterfuck that basically imploded between 2011-2014.

Did he write some great songs equal to the classic era? Yes. They are very different, but they are great none the less. 

Exactly. 

People are going to see what they want to see though. Some folks just never gave the newer members of the band a chance and it shows. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Exactly. 

People are going to see what they want to see though. Some folks just never gave the newer members of the band a chance and it shows. 

You could argue Rose never gave the new members a chance considering he refused to release albums with them.

• Like 4

In another timeline GNR released a CD followup in 2010-2011 and it sounded more like SIXX:AM. 

They could've done co-headlining tours with the likes of the Pretty Reckless and HaleStorm.

Would have broken GNR to a new generation in a better way.

The CD era was maximum potential minimal results. 

i love UYIs, I think Estranged, Coma and Locomotive are really underrated (by the non GNR fans) but I has some fillers, yeah. 

They should’ve made only one album with this track list: don’t cry, perfect crime, November rain, the garden, bad apples, dead horse, coma, civil war, yesterdays, Breakdown, estranged, you could be mine and that’s it. All the other songs released as B sides maybe. It’s a shame that none of all the mentioned things in this threat happened, nuGNR would have been huge and Axl would have a better image in the media And the non GNR fans nowadays. He had a comeback in 2016 fronting AC/DC and singing with GNR but there’s lot of people who still take him as a joke 

UYI fillers? CD better than UYI's?? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

CD went down as one of the worst records in the history of rock.  It was in Walmart for like 2$ or something by 2009?

Ax's averege tix sold according to billboard by 2010 were around 2500.

Glad to see some like CD... then again, there are people who think the world is flat... ...or Frank is good.  ;) 

• Like 1