Guns N' Roses to Release Children's Picture Book

4 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Fernando is not a star like those two, nor has he done anything of note which gives him a platform. Sure he's the manager but outside of the hardcore fan base people don't know who he is - why would they? I couldn't name a single manager of any other band/artist, even bands/artists I listen to fairly regularly.

Right, and that's what the main problem with this thing is, in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I might roll my eyes a bit if any of the big three wrote a children's book. I'd roll them even harder if they did it as part of the GNR 'brand' - y'know that brand that has survived for 30 odd years on an image of hookers, drugs and associated debauchery. However they remain the star power so however questionable there would be some interest. I'd read a kids book Axl wrote even if I thought it was a daft idea.

But to launch a kids book using the GNR marketing machine written by someone who isn't in the band is fucking bonkers and terrible PR. 

I feel like this is GNR - the midlife crisis years. They relaunched in 2016 with a down and dirty interactive museum piece, reminding us all why they earned the 'most dangerous band' moniker, now four years later it's toy trucks, laundry bags and children's story time. :question:

I know the guys in the band in real life have mellowed, had families and changed priorities but a decent PR machine wouldn't let that get in the way of a good and consistent brand image. Recently GNR's has been schizo - it just doesn't know what it is.

Having said all that it's not entirely out of character for Axl to green light something like this. He put a fair bit of effort into promoting that obscure book Del wrote, even turning it into a video.

I think Fernando and whoever else is involved in this just see it as "branding" for different markets and target groups. So they sell a box set that has lithos depicting skeletons in orgies for the target group that identifies with the brand this way, and then a children's book for another target group, the super casual fans who have only heard SCOM and don't know much more.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Also, who is actually buying this trash?

I can see a handful of white trash folk thinking it's cute, but that's it. This is just wildly off the mark, and a startling look into how Team Brazil has their greasy little paw's deep in Axl's pockets. 

26 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Also, who is actually buying this trash?

All those Axl groupies who wait outside the hotel and call their children Axl, and the Axl lunatic fans who dedicate a whole Instagram account to upload pictures of Axl and write things like ‘he’s my baby but he doesn’t know it’ believe me I’ve seen lots of em

Edited by alangarcianr
  • Like 1

As a side note the world of children's fiction is really fickle. Only around 1% of authors make decent money. Even with the GNR platform I don't think they can realistically expect to sell many.

I suspect that's not the point though, this seems more like a vanity/heirloom project for the Lebeis kids.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, alangarcianr said:

All those Axl groupies who wait outside the hotel and call their children Axl, and the Axl lunatic fans who dedicate a whole Instagram account to upload pictures of Axl and write things like ‘he’s my baby but he doesn’t know it’ believe me I’ve seen lots of em

As Jan said, Rick Dunsford. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I suspect that's not the point though, this seems more like a vanity/heirloom project for the Lebeis kids.

Which I think everybody here would agree is just fine - just not under the massive GN'R brand. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, WildStar said:

Soon they'll be asking 'so who else do Team Brazil manage' 

I imagine GNR fans explaining exactly who Team Brazil are to casual fans would sound something like Quint's speech in Jaws...

spielberg-jaws_quint.jpg?w=500&h=250

• Haha 2