Appetite for Distortion - Matt Sorum | Ep.193

1 hour ago, Guigsdaddy said:

Thanks for your reply Brando and putting it into perspective.  Just wish these guys would get real with their fans.  This band is very far from reality most of the time.  Your best interviews are with Dougie Goldstein.  He may be a bit flakey but he's real.  Also Niven was good as well or was that with Lafon?  Can't remember.  

Niven was great with me the 2 times he was on. He broke the news on my podcast about Izzy going to a rehearsal, only to leave.

19 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

Niven was great with me the 2 times he was on. He broke the news on my podcast about Izzy going to a rehearsal, only to leave.

Sorry forgot that was on your show.  Well done!  Adler said to Lefon he was more involved and hurt his back.  I would love to know what was originally planned etc.  I guess we will never know...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Guigsdaddy said:

Sorry forgot that was on your show.  Well done!  Adler said to Lefon he was more involved and hurt his back.  I would love to know what was originally planned etc.  I guess we will never know...

Adler not participating in the show to this point is one of the big mysteries to me.  The guy loves talking with fans.  This makes me believe there is either a legal threat if he talks or a verbal agreement with Axl/Slash/Duff that if he talks his chance at rejoining them is over.  

15 minutes ago, WAR41 said:

Adler not participating in the show to this point is one of the big mysteries to me.  The guy loves talking with fans.  This makes me believe there is either a legal threat if he talks or a verbal agreement with Axl/Slash/Duff that if he talks his chance at rejoining them is over.  

I think there could be a legal threat for sure.  I also think the chance of him ever rejoining them is done.  Adler even said he accepted "peanuts" to rejoin the tour.  Something Izzy (with good reason) was unwilling to do.  What was the original plan?  What did Axl/Slash and Duff talk about those first few meetings?  I would love to know.  Was the plan a full AFD lineup?  What about Fortus and Frank?  Were they called in when Izzy didn't show and Adler hurt himself?  Duff said in an interview that they were waiting for Izzy to show and he just never did.  I understand the show (and money) must go on but how close were we to full AFD?  We all know Adler can play anything from the bands catalogue.  It's mostly AFD and covers anyway.  I'm very salty because this "rebirth" has totally missed its mark for me and could have been so much better.  My hope was full AFD for a 1-2 year tour then go make an album or EP, tour again and then call it a day...

• Like 1

Just do one final show in Los Angeles with everyone who's been involved over the years, pay them well for the night, and end GNR on a high note.

If Axl and Slash want to keep playing together and do their own version of the Page/Plant tours, then whatever - but let the fucking band die with some dignity.

Next year Axl will be the same age Robert Plant was for the Zeppelin reunion gig in 2007. Let that sink in.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

Not upset and I understand where you're coming from. To be honest with you, I'm not trying to build a rep by asking "hard-hitting" questions yet. I'm generalizing a bit because depending on the guest, the interview approach will vary. But overall I want just a "fun" and hopefully interesting approach. 

I will give real examples. Tommy Stinson's people really expressed to focus on Bash n Pop and Cowboys in the Campfire. My first contact to Tommy was nice enough to suggest I change my original email to write GNR lower down in the body as a topic before it was sent to Tommy. Same with The Replacements. Not that Tommy didn't want to talk about them, but he needs to promote his new stuff to earn a living. And mainly, this is important, he has been burned before by interviewers. Many have. This is all to common. Promises to promote something new (their job) with barely a discussion to only focus on the "famous" parts of that person, if that makes sense. I didn't take it personally and they have every right to be cautious. Tommy came on twice. Who knows if I would have gotten 1 with wanting to ask hard questions. I have no doubt Susan McKagan would not have come on again nor confirmed new music on her own...I didn't ask her. Listen to Gilby's interview. He's sick of the same old questions. They all are. I don't blame them. There are a lot of bad interviewers out there.

Another reason I do it this way is because I am not Howard Stern. Howard, and other big interviewers (From Rogan to Barbara Walters) are known. Guests know what they're getting into. I'm not famous nor is my social media huge. These guests probably have no idea who I am. While I majored in Broadcast Journalism in college and have had a professional career, the name "Brando" doesn't exactly come with cachet. All the articles in Blabblermouth, Loudwire, etc def helps! 

That all being said, believe me when I say I either try to make the best of the opportunity or honestly get mad at myself afterwards for not asking certain things. It's a dance. Episode by episode.

Hey @Gambit83 your interviews are absolutely in-depth and original. We get new information, never before heard side stories etc more or less with each episode. It's also apparent in every episode that you've done your homework before approaching individuals for interview.

I like your podcast because it is exactly the opposite of paparazzi/TMZ style approach.

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/05/2020 at 8:14 AM, Gambit83 said:

Not upset and I understand where you're coming from. To be honest with you, I'm not trying to build a rep by asking "hard-hitting" questions yet. I'm generalizing a bit because depending on the guest, the interview approach will vary. But overall I want just a "fun" and hopefully interesting approach. 

I will give real examples. Tommy Stinson's people really expressed to focus on Bash n Pop and Cowboys in the Campfire. My first contact to Tommy was nice enough to suggest I change my original email to write GNR lower down in the body as a topic before it was sent to Tommy. Same with The Replacements. Not that Tommy didn't want to talk about them, but he needs to promote his new stuff to earn a living. And mainly, this is important, he has been burned before by interviewers. Many have. This is all to common. Promises to promote something new (their job) with barely a discussion to only focus on the "famous" parts of that person, if that makes sense. I didn't take it personally and they have every right to be cautious. Tommy came on twice. Who knows if I would have gotten 1 with wanting to ask hard questions. I have no doubt Susan McKagan would not have come on again nor confirmed new music on her own...I didn't ask her. Listen to Gilby's interview. He's sick of the same old questions. They all are. I don't blame them. There are a lot of bad interviewers out there.

Another reason I do it this way is because I am not Howard Stern. Howard, and other big interviewers (From Rogan to Barbara Walters) are known. Guests know what they're getting into. I'm not famous nor is my social media huge. These guests probably have no idea who I am. While I majored in Broadcast Journalism in college and have had a professional career, the name "Brando" doesn't exactly come with cachet. All the articles in Blabblermouth, Loudwire, etc def helps! 

That all being said, believe me when I say I either try to make the best of the opportunity or honestly get mad at myself afterwards for not asking certain things. It's a dance. Episode by episode.

You do a great job, it can’t be easy and you need to develop rapport and relationships which is a slow burn. Doing your homework on them and focusing on their present and future is going to earn you their respect. But you are doing fantastic so keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

But, he also was on record with Mitch before the NITL tour claiming Izzy was writing with the band. I’ve listen to quite a few of your podcasts and it’s obvious you cannot ask your guest questions that are “hard hitting”. You love Guns and that’s cool enough for most here on the forum. 

Edited by The Holographic Universe
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

But, he also was on record with Mitch before the NITL tour claiming Izzy was writing with the band. I’ve listen to quite a few of your podcasts and it’s obvious you cannot ask your guest questions that are “hard hitting”. You love Guns and that’s cool enough for most here on the forum. 

I'm glad Alan's rumor with me was true. It's also why he came on the pod 3 times. Tommy Stinson, Susan McKagan and Brain came back on the podcast. I'm hoping the same for Sorum and Frank. Frank said he might do another zoom call, next time with Brain :) 

• Like 3