NITL live videos on youtube

Very excellent addition to the NITL video series.  The song selection was great.  I listened to this on a house rattling sound system and it didn't disappoint.  I like the camera work a lot.  It had great close-up of the action but didn't let you forget how large the crowd was.  It felt cinematic and made the performance that much cooler.

Really solid versions of Slither (really pleased to hear this), Rocket Queen, You Could Be Mine, Attitude, Sweet Child O' Mine.

Including the first video, we've heard

+ It's So Easy, Chinese Democracy, Double Talkin' Jive, Slither, Rocket Queen, You Could Be Mine, Attitude, Sweet Child O' Mine

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WhazUp said:

The mix is such an improvement on this latest batch of songs.  Duff's bass crystal clear, the guitars both properly balanced and not dry, Axl's vocals blending in with the vocals so his more Mickey moments don't stick out as oddly.  To me it is a really good sign that TB is at least listening to the critiques and attempting to implement those improvements in these new videos

I doubt we can give TB credit for the mix.. This was properly mixed by Download for the pro shot releases

I think when we get another regular NITL show, it will be a mix like the SLC show 

1 minute ago, SAU3R said:

I doubt we can give TB credit for the mix.. This was properly mixed by Download for the pro shot releases

I think when we get another regular NITL show, it will be a mix like the SLC show 

That is definitely possible - however I hope that isn't the case lol only because if the mix is like this for all future "Selection" videos I will be a very happy camper in that respect

5 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah I don’t want Axl to retire, but I do think he’ll eventually need to “adjust” his sound somehow. Whether that means tuning down, focusing solely on lower-voice songs, doing more with piano and acoustic guitars, or all of the above is still a mystery. But when he gets to his 70s he’ll need to do at least one if not more (or all) of those things.

He needs to adjust his physique. I think that would help his performances a great deal.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

At least this is properly filmed thanks to the Download Festival producers.

Sadly though by this point in the tour Axls vocals had burnt out. He could sound incredible on Slither at his best but this was not a good time.

They should upload the first part of the tour when they first reunited. At that point he was absolutely nailing it with both AC DC and GNR

8 hours ago, TheDemocracyRose said:

Axl needs a new challenge. Not 100 more NITL concerts. But new songs and preparations like he did with AC/DC.

It’s reality time. He spent way too much gas on Axl DC. His voice has deteriorated. 2017 was his last year of a decent voice. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

It’s reality time. He spent way too much gas on Axl DC. His voice has deteriorated. 2017 was his last year of a decent voice. 

There's a 'protection' element too I think. You can't go out there for 4/5 years of touring even as a young man and expect things to be OK. I think he's probably been advised to try singing differently in order to try and keep things going. 

Simply put: they're on the road far, far too much and he/they are knackered. 

42 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

There's a 'protection' element too I think. You can't go out there for 4/5 years of touring even as a young man and expect things to be OK. I think he's probably been advised to try singing differently in order to try and keep things going. 

Simply put: they're on the road far, far too much and he/they are knackered. 

Him singing mickey is how he preserves his voice. The cracks and pops in his voice when trying to hit rasp are what leads me to think it’s deterioration. He still sings the same way when going for rasp; it’s often times either not there or completely uncontrollable and out of tone. 

• Like 2

If it's not out of lazyness/ lack of practice, working with a vocal coach, etc. and the voice is just not there anymore he shouldn't play 3 hours shows for years and years and charge top ticket prices just because he can still get away with it somehow. Show some dignity then.

21 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

If it's not out of lazyness/ lack of practice, working with a vocal coach, etc. and the voice is just not there anymore he shouldn't play 3 hours shows for years and years and charge top ticket prices just because he can still get away with it somehow. Show some dignity then.

to be honest I don't understand u (maybe it's because I'm French !!!) but You said that you prefere that He sing 1 hour and half (good dong.....for u) instead 3 hours for the same price ? We can said anything about GNR on live but when you go to see then (and it happen a lot for me) you spend 3 amazing hours. Some people like this song and this song. Other people like other ones. But let's be honest all the people who said it's only for money should figure out why they play very long concert.............maybe and I said maybe.....they like to play together !!!! oupssss don't shoot me !!!!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They could easily cut the show down to about 2 hours where Axl would sound consistently good. To me, that's a much better value than a 3+ hour show where he struggles on the majority of songs.

I don’t think the length of show is the main issue. I would even say the opposite. Show is so long because of Slash solos, extended instrumentals etc. soo Axl can rest.
His voice usually gets tired after Jungle so the show would be 20 minutes long.

However he struggles even with Jungle these days. Shortening the set will not help him, the damage is done. Maybe it would help during his most raspy days but nowadays his voice is just shot.

Berlin was one of the shortest show in the NITLT and one of the weakest vocally.

Maybe surgery or working his ass off like in 2016 would help. But he doesn’t seem to even care enough. 

• Like 2

But who descide when it's good and when it's not ? when can predict that ? In this forum we all like the same songs ? so what I said is just let said some good stuff when it's good. Do they will have the same level than AFD/UYI one day ? NEVER NEVER. Let's listen the old stuff like "la Joconde" and let's enjoy all we get. I love this 30 minutes. I know it's have nothing to do with the level of the past but at least we have it. Slash try to change all the time his part. We get Slither where Axl sing for exemple. do one of us could predict that ? from my side I like the idear that he take the time to make it his way and sing it on stage. So so many good stuff arrive this last 5 years after 20 years of nothing that we can enjoy a little bit IMO. about TB I don't care. Nobody do something without the permission of Axl (exept what the way Slash play). And in this video you have the funky moment of Fortus that a lot of u don't like (it's your choice. no problem of course) but do you think that Fortus play one seconde something that Slash do not like ? Slash descide everything about the guitare. 

Last but not least I love the bass on this mix

Sorry for all the spalling mistake !!!! peace everybody

we gonna get this new album !!! I smell it . And we gonna all make love !!! let's get this mother fucker out (is is what Axl said in Tokyo during KOHD ?)

• Like 2

I think it's worth stating Axl might have underlying health issues that impact his ability to "go for it."

Doesn't mean he doesn't sound pretty terrible post-2016, I can't even listen to this recent release, but I think it's a step too far to say he doesn't care. Duff said he does hours of pre-show vocal work, for example. 

It also doesn't mean they shouldn't have a good hard look at mixing things up to make them more compatible with 2020 Axl. But we shouldn't assume the worst of his work ethic. Remember that whole cane thing... and I mean who knows what meds he's on... 

IF he's totally healthy.... then get it the fuck together, my man! You're Axl Rose!

Iggy at 58:

Iggy, Foos Invade U.K. - Rolling Stone

Edited by Ant
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

I don’t think the length of show is the main issue. I would even say the opposite. Show is so long because of Slash solos, extended instrumentals etc. soo Axl can rest.
His voice usually gets tired after Jungle so the show would be 20 minutes long.

However he struggles even with Jungle these days. Shortening the set will not help him, the damage is done. Maybe it would help during his most raspy days but nowadays his voice is just shot.

Berlin was one of the shortest show in the NITLT and one of the weakest vocally.

Maybe surgery or working his ass off like in 2016 would help. But he doesn’t seem to even care enough. 

They could cut the set down to the few songs they *have to play* each night, and then build the rest of the set around that. Keep Jungle, SCOM, Nov Rain, KOHD and Paradise City, and build from there. But if he keeps trying to struggle his way through YCBM, Shadow, RQ, Better, etc. then there's no point. They'd have to actually change the show up, and Axl would have to rehearse properly, so it won't happen.

I think it’s a combination of things. Amount of shows, length of shows and song choices. I mean - we could easily get stuff like 14 years/Dust N Bones with Duff on lead instead of Izzy with Axl doing his bits etc. A bit of creativity with the setlist could go a long way. Axl would be great on The Garden for example too.

2 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I think it’s a combination of things. Amount of shows, length of shows and song choices. I mean - we could easily get stuff like 14 years/Dust N Bones with Duff on lead instead of Izzy with Axl doing his bits etc. A bit of creativity with the setlist could go a long way. Axl would be great on The Garden for example too.

I saw Duff play Dust N' Bones when he opened for Axl in 2011. It was great! GNR could definitely be playing it, even without Izzy. There's plenty of deep cuts that Axl would still sound great on, too (Down On The Farm, Pretty Tied Up, Bad Obsession, etc)

2 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I saw Duff play Dust N' Bones when he opened for Axl in 2011. It was great! GNR could definitely be playing it, even without Izzy. There's plenty of deep cuts that Axl would still sound great on, too (Down On The Farm, Pretty Tied Up, Bad Obsession, etc)

Deffo. Sometimes Duff sounds a bit Izzy to me and as you say - Duff has played DNB before.

Maybe with the UYI box seemingly planned we may see more stuff like this getting in the setlist. It’s just sensible isn’t it.....if we can see it surely they can!!!

I have to say, from a vocal point of view YCBM, Slither, and RQ were surprisingly good. Axl is fucking trying and mostly getting there. Two observations from this and all NITL videos: 

• it's easy to hear that his upper register has lost volume - when he quickly switches lower, he sounds super loud. The sound engineer should try some hard compression and see what it sounds like it. Every singer's range starts to deteriorate from age and longterm belting/use. All the best singers experience this
    • Steve Tyler has lost his mid range a bit
    • David Coverdale... omg
    • Robert Plant was able to hide it well to casual listeners, but he was losing his range within 2 years of LZ's first album.
    • Adele started to lose her range on the "Nevemind I'll Find..." tour. She started rearranging or dropping her high notes.
    • Sia had started lowering the pitch of her song, and rearranging her high notes

• secondly, even people w/ 8% body fat at his age would experience SoB holding notes and rushing around on stage (dare I mention Bruce Dickinson?). His man-gut looks worse on camera than it does in person, so I don't think he deserves to be called out for being 'fat' really - we are just comparing him to 90s/80s GNR.

I'm appreciative (and people should be surprised) that he can hit the higher notes still. I also liked the few little changes Slash made to the Slither solo. 

Edited by zepsun
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1