NITL live videos on youtube

Sorry to say but you guys sound like a bunch of haters. The Download video is cool, mix is great, band is tight, Slash is awesome and well yes, Axl does not sound like 1988 or 1992 or even 2016 but he still sings better than most vocalists and the crowd obviously enjoys is. If you guys have problem with this, why don't you forget about GNR and move to another band? This is something I really don't get. 

You can F?!* OFF and buy something from the New Age section.

2 minutes ago, Petr said:

Sorry to say but you guys sound like a bunch of haters. The Download video is cool, mix is great, band is tight, Slash is awesome and well yes, Axl does not sound like 1988 or 1992 or even 2016 but he still sings better than most vocalists and the crowd obviously enjoys is. If you guys have problem with this, why don't you forget about GNR and move to another band? This is something I really don't get. 

Jesus. Guns N' Roses is and will probably always be my favorite band. Let's not be biased or totally blind here though - these selects are terrible. Chinese Democracy from the first video was at most mediocre and somewhat acceptable I guess, but this most recent one was horrific. I love Axl like we all do, but if they're going to be "selects" then why is whatever team selecting the Disney performance? I've heard Axl do much better at various shows during NITL. YCBM and SCOM sounded pretty damn sad. But that's how it goes when the whole world wants you to keep performing at nearly 60 years old.

I'm still not a fan of the GNR reunion for the exact fact that Axl clearly has health issues or is way too affected by age. It should have been a reunion for a new album, and then touring immediately after. Years of touring and then recording makes me nervous for the quality of stuff we're going to eventually hear.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, zepsun said:

I have to say, from a vocal point of view YCBM, Slither, and RQ were surprisingly good. Axl is fucking trying and mostly getting there. Two observations from this and all NITL videos: 

• it's easy to hear that his upper register has lost volume - when he quickly switches lower, he sounds super loud. The sound engineer should try some hard compression and see what it sounds like it. Every singer's range starts to deteriorate from age and longterm belting/use. All the best singers experience this
    • Steve Tyler has lost his mid range a bit
    • David Coverdale... omg
    • Robert Plant was able to hide it well to casual listeners, but he was losing his range within 2 years of LZ's first album.
    • Adele started to lose her range on the "Nevemind I'll Find..." tour. She started rearranging or dropping her high notes.
    • Sia had started lowering the pitch of her song, and rearranging her high notes

• secondly, even people w/ 8% at his age would experience SoB holding notes and rushing around on stage (dare I mention Bruce Dickinson?). His man-gut looks worse on camera than it does in person, so I don't think he deserves to be called out for being 'fat' really - we are just comparing him to 90s/80s GNR.

I'm appreciative (and people should be surprised) that he can hit the higher notes still. I also liked the few little changes Slash made to the Slither solo. 

And that’s the thing - he SHOULD adapt to his current capabilities like the vocalists have above. I wish he would - everybody wins. I do think the newest video was pretty decent actually - I’ve heard FAR worse RQs and SCOMs than those.

I just wanna hear them try D tuning.

Listen to Nightrain in D it's fuckin' cool.... little more menacing.... little more world weary -- it suits an Axl that kinda stalks around instead of sprints around... :D 

Edited by Ant

39 minutes ago, Petr said:

Not every critique is an insult, and what some people see as 'hating' others would see as 'disappointment'. Anyone still posting on a GNR forum is a fan on some level (even if it's just nostalgia or memes and jokes at this point). Any time they do anything relatively interesting, the majority of the board is enthusiastic about it. Objectively, the NITL Selects are just 'fine', when we know they could be great. The frustration builds up and it's misinterpreted as hate or hostility when really, 99% of the 'haters' just want the best from their favourite band.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

41 minutes ago, Ant said:

I just wanna hear them try D tuning.

Listen to Nightrain in D it's fuckin' cool.... little more menacing.... little more world weary -- it suits an Axl that kinda stalks around instead of sprints around... :D 

Problem is it brings even more of the song into his weak mid range where he struggles.

Low stuff is easy, high stuff has deteriorated big time recently but on things like soyl he can still get it out. But songs like Scom, ycbm that require strong mid voice he just struggling with and has done for some time and he can't do it any way other than the weak higher pitched head voice that sounds like the Mickey voice we know.

The reason AcDc sounded so good even compared to 2016 Guns shows was there was only a limited time he had to drop out of that stronger high pitched raspy head voice. Whereas Guns songs move from mixed to head many times a song (just take jungle live, opens higher, drops lower in the middle then back higher, but it's right at the point where it's at its weakest connection where he could also force it out on chest voice as well, and indeed these days that's usually what he does instead).

Edited by koldbeer2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, koldbeer2 said:

Problem is it brings even more of the song into his weak mid range where he struggles.

Low stuff is easy, high stuff has deteriorated big time recently but on things like soyl he can still get it out. But songs like Scom, ycbm that require strong mid voice he just struggling with and has done for some time and he can't do it any way other than the weak higher pitched head voice that sounds like the Mickey voice we know.

Okay fine so low is easy? HOW LOW CAN WE GO, BABY --- C-tuning!

Sludge N' Roses! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I saw Duff play Dust N' Bones when he opened for Axl in 2011. It was great! GNR could definitely be playing it, even without Izzy. There's plenty of deep cuts that Axl would still sound great on, too (Down On The Farm, Pretty Tied Up, Bad Obsession, etc)

A lot of tracks--especially if Izzy came back-- could help Axls voice. 14 Years, Dust N' Bones, maybe a solo Izzy song, a TSI song for Duff, replacing Better with Sorry, Move to the City, the songs you mentioned, The Garden,  Breakdown even

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Dangom1 said:

The response so far from media outlets have been mostly very positive regarding the video posted👍

I cann't imagine most 'media outlets' are remotely bothered about GNR uploading a few crappy videos on YouTube! 

Outside of this board I'm yet to see or hear any mention of it. Because in the real world an old nostalgia-based band uploading a few crappy videos really isn't news. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Dangom1 said:

The response so far from media outlets have been mostly very positive regarding the video posted👍

See below. 

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I cann't imagine most 'media outlets' are remotely bothered about GNR uploading a few crappy videos on YouTube! 

Outside of this board I'm yet to see or hear any mention of it. Because in the real world an old nostalgia-based band uploading a few crappy videos really isn't news. 

Haha, exactly. I sincerely doubt any "media outlets" care about this at all. Would love to be proven wrong with some links though. 

• Like 3