NITL live videos on youtube

10 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

I agree but it's a tough balancing act.

I'd love to hear Axl sing the songs with a lower voice that was easier for him to use but the casual public want to hear him using a high pitched vocal.

If they were to hear Axl "It's So Easy" his way through the set they'd be peeved.  

I didn't mean fo r teh entire show. Just more often.. He could just save it for the songs he is good at and certain parts of the songs.. Like ISE, he used that screams sparingly and it is effective.. Save it for parts like that, the"don't forget my lawyer" part of YCBM, the screams on Live and Let Die, the end of Patience, Jungle...  He still sounds good with the "high pitched" voice on songs like Shadow and Out Ta Get Me.. It didn't mean the whole show. Just change up some of the songs he sounds really bad on. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Glad to see a shitty upload of 3 cliche songs from an average performance makes most of you this much excited and happy and twisted your opinion about 15+ years of management failure. good for you.

Now go buy his Children's book and Toy Truck. Guess that's what most of you deserve.

Fernando is more than enough for some of you folks. Enjoy.

It’s a step in the right direction. Can’t it just be that? It could obviously be better, but that doesn’t negate the step they’ve took here. 

Doesn’t or hasn’t made up for anything in how they’ve treated fans. They’re now just doing something that’s the bare minimum. We’ll see how it goes from here 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I didn't mean fo r teh entire show. Just more often.. He could just save it for the songs he is good at and certain parts of the songs.. Like ISE, he used that screams sparingly and it is effective.. Save it for parts like that, the"don't forget my lawyer" part of YCBM, the screams on Live and Let Die, the end of Patience, Jungle...  He still sounds good with the "high pitched" voice on songs like Shadow and Out Ta Get Me.. It didn't mean the whole show. Just change up some of the songs he sounds really bad on. 

Fair tbh. I agree that Axl should go back and relearn the songs, using a lower voice with peks of effort throughout hits/points of songs.

Like in live and let die, there's no reason for him to sing so high in the verses that he drifts into a 'thinner' voice. Yet he does it EVERY TIME.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

It’s a step in the right direction. Can’t it just be that? It could obviously be better, but that doesn’t negate the step they’ve took here. 

Doesn’t or hasn’t made up for anything in how they’ve treated fans. They’re now just doing something that’s the bare minimum. We’ll see how it goes from here 

This is a reasonable reply. thanks ^

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GNR_RNR said:

Fair tbh. I agree that Axl should go back and relearn the songs, using a lower voice with peks of effort throughout hits/points of songs.

Like in live and let die, there's no reason for him to sing so high in the verses that he drifts into a 'thinner' voice. Yet he does it EVERY TIME.

There we go, man. Something we agree on. :lol:

I'd say he's guilty of the same thing is Estranged during the opening lines. Probably a couple others as well. He seems to straddle between that thinner high and his talking/low singing voice. He'd be totally fine to just sing it all low as he did way back when, and I think it would improve the overall sound of some of these songs if he did as you suggested.

The clips of Pretty Tied Up from the Mexico soundcheck sounded fantastic. He clearly went clean for the chorus but with the support from the backing vocals it was a smart approach. Take it easy when he can and relearn various peak points in other songs.

43 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Then Axl should sing more in his "speaking voice".. Use the the It's So Easy, Brownstone, Pretty Tied up voice more. A song like You Could Be Mine would sound different but better than it does now. 

I 100% agree mate. I’ve said that a while now - the setlist should be amended to cater to his current abilities. I keep meaning to cobble together a list which would sound good (IMO).

It would be a brave move to amend the voice on the big hitters (SCOM/NR etc) but at this point it’s necessary. Unless putting less strain on the voice over the course of a setlist/tour could mean he can push his voice more on those?

I agree that this NITL SELECTS is too little too late, although I hope it continues and turns into something cool. 

But I don't understand people saying that the mix is bad. This is exactly how NITL GNR sounds in person and has always sounded. Frank's drums are eq'ed terribly always and Slash's tone and playing has always been weirdly shreddy and dry/digital sounding. NITL GNR has always sounded like a completely different band from '88 or ' 92 Era guns. Whether it's in person, on YouTube or even raw tracks from IEM. 

42 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I 100% agree mate. I’ve said that a while now - the setlist should be amended to cater to his current abilities. I keep meaning to cobble together a list which would sound good (IMO).

It would be a brave move to amend the voice on the big hitters (SCOM/NR etc) but at this point it’s necessary. Unless putting less strain on the voice over the course of a setlist/tour could mean he can push his voice more on those?

It definitely should be heavily altered. Think about it – how many bands do we know that keep playing more or less the same setlist with dozens of staples and just very few changes over years? When it comes down to it, there are really only some three songs that undisputedly need to be played every show: WTTJ, SCOM, and PC. Anything else can be omitted, although it would be kinda weird if it happened all at once (then again, fuck it, why not). And they’ll always play NR (unless it’s a club like Troubadour) and KOHD (I surely could do without it already). Nightrain and RQ should also be there, although Nightrain did alternate with Michelle in the old days, and RQ could do the same with something else. 
Also, why does the start always have to be Easy, Brownstone, Chinese, Jungle? Can we fucking change that already? Even if you skip one of these or replace it with something else, it would only be to the benefit of the whole thing. 
Better, Chinese, LALD, solos like WYWH, Attitude, RQ, DTJ, Seeker (especially that one!) – all these songs could be at least alternating with something. Patience with DC etc. There are many tunes with lower register that Axl could do easily, and it would help the playlist in general. Pretty Tied Up, Bad Obsession, other UYI stuff.  
But no, they always have to start with the same 4 songs and then huff and puff through the same old, same old. 
I know this topic/debate has already been discussed. Anyway, I certainly hope they’ll make HUGE changes come fall. It’s seriously moronic to keep the same setlist for years. Who does that? I personally don’t need ISE/Mr. B/CD/Jungle every show! We already know this is the band (more or less) that created AfD, we’re already aware of CD’s existence – it needs no further promotion, replace it with some other song. Like, why not Prostitute? The original has a clean voice anyway, easy-peasy.
Etc. Just make some changes. One newish song like Hard School won’t do it. It’s the whole approach that needs a goddamn upgrade. 
Sorry for the unsolicited rant. 

Not to get too off topic but Axl's voice is funny sometimes because I know it's been suggested before that it might benefit them to tune down, but his issue doesn't actually seem to be hitting the notes. He still pulls out a pretty mean Shadow or Out Ta Get Me, or the outro of It's So Easy. It's his midrange that suffers the most, which is why the biggest weak spots are songs like SCOM and YCBM. Songs like those might actually benefit from being tuned even one extra semitone down. That might allow him to sing those closer to his natural register, and thus sound stronger overall with more depth. Save the rasp for the key sections of those sounds and otherwise sing naturally.

Then just structure the rest of the set around what is more suited to his current abilities. Stuff like Pretty Tied Up, Bad Obsession, etc...

I wouldn't even object if they stopped the three hour shows. A lean and mean two hour show where they give it their all would feel tighter in my opinion.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jamillos said:

It definitely should be heavily altered. Think about it – how many bands do we know that keep playing more or less the same setlist with dozens of staples and just very few changes over years? When it comes down to it, there are really only some three songs that undisputedly need to be played every show: WTTJ, SCOM, and PC. Anything else can be omitted, although it would be kinda weird if it happened all at once (then again, fuck it, why not). And they’ll always play NR (unless it’s a club like Troubadour) and KOHD (I surely could do without it already). Nightrain and RQ should also be there, although Nightrain did alternate with Michelle in the old days, and RQ could do the same with something else. 
Also, why does the start always have to be Easy, Brownstone, Chinese, Jungle? Can we fucking change that already? Even if you skip one of these or replace it with something else, it would only be to the benefit of the whole thing. 
Better, Chinese, LALD, solos like WYWH, Attitude, RQ, DTJ, Seeker (especially that one!) – all these songs could be at least alternating with something. Patience with DC etc. There are many tunes with lower register that Axl could do easily, and it would help the playlist in general. Pretty Tied Up, Bad Obsession, other UYI stuff.  
But no, they always have to start with the same 4 songs and then huff and puff through the same old, same old. 
I know this topic/debate has already been discussed. Anyway, I certainly hope they’ll make HUGE changes come fall. It’s seriously moronic to keep the same setlist for years. Who does that? I personally don’t need ISE/Mr. B/CD/Jungle every show! We already know this is the band (more or less) that created AfD, we’re already aware of CD’s existence – it needs no further promotion, replace it with some other song. Like, why not Prostitute? The original has a clean voice anyway, easy-peasy.
Etc. Just make some changes. One newish song like Hard School won’t do it. It’s the whole approach that needs a goddamn upgrade. 
Sorry for the unsolicited rant. 

Ok. First of all the staples in their set , as in the ones the majority know are going nowhere ISE, LALD, KOHD, SCOM, Jungle, NV, PC.

You seem to fall under the "I've seen them loads" band wagon, true! YOU have and YOU might be tired of hearing a lot of these songs! but every band has to juggle the songs in their setlist to make sure the majority of the crowd is engaged... unfortunately if you see GNR 6 times in 2 years, they really aren't catering to that fan! but if you just go to 1 or 2 shows, you get some slight alterations.

Some of the songs you are on about dropping, and some of the songs you want to add in instead are real head scratchers! for example I really enjoy the song Prostitute, but in a stadium do I want to hear that instead of Jungle or even Chinese Democracy (anybody can nod their head to this)? no! because nobody knows, and it's hard to latch onto (if you haven't hard it before) it and the crowd are going to go dead... in an Arena or club, sure why not!

Now I agree fully that the set needs an overhaul, first thing I'd do is completely rearrange the order ISE and brownstone would be separated and PC would no longer be the only song used to close the show. No band is beholden on doing things one way for their entire career, and for whatever reason PC seems stuck in that end of the night slot, when really they could play it 3 songs in and the crowd would explode. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Ok. First of all the staples in their set , as in the ones the majority know are going nowhere ISE, LALD, KOHD, SCOM, Jungle, NV, PC.

You seem to fall under the "I've seen them loads" band wagon, true! YOU have and YOU might be tired of hearing a lot of these songs! but every band has to juggle the songs in their setlist to make sure the majority of the crowd is engaged... unfortunately if you see GNR 6 times in 2 years, they really aren't catering to that fan! but if you just go to 1 or 2 shows, you get some slight alterations.

Some of the songs you are on about dropping, and some of the songs you want to add in instead are real head scratchers! for example I really enjoy the song Prostitute, but in a stadium do I want to hear that instead of Jungle or even Chinese Democracy (anybody can nod their head to this)? no! because nobody knows, and it's hard to latch onto (if you haven't hard it before) it and the crowd are going to go dead... in an Arena or club, sure why not!

Now I agree fully that the set needs an overhaul, first thing I'd do is completely rearrange the order ISE and brownstone would be separated and PC would no longer be the only song used to close the show. No band is beholden on doing things one way for their entire career, and for whatever reason PC seems stuck in that end of the night slot, when really they could play it 3 songs in and the crowd would explode. 

This is the kind of set GNR should do imo:

Nightrain

Hard School

Welcome To The Jungle

It's So Easy

Bad Obsession

Live & Let Die

Don't Cry

Double Talkin Jive

Locomotive

Acoustic set:

- You Ain't The First (alternating with Used To Love Her)

- You're Crazy (alternating with acoustic version of Civil War)

- Patience

- Sweet Child O Mine (whole step down to make it easier to sing, half acoustic, full band kicking in before the solo)

Atlas Shrugged

Chinese Democracy

The Seeker

Knockin On Heavens Door

Since I Don't Have You

November Rain

Mr Brownstone

Paradise City

If hell freezes over and they release a new album, take Locomotive, Since I Don't Have You and Double Talkin Jive out of the set and replace them with the new songs.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Not to get too off topic but Axl's voice is funny sometimes because I know it's been suggested before that it might benefit them to tune down, but his issue doesn't actually seem to be hitting the notes. He still pulls out a pretty mean Shadow or Out Ta Get Me, or the outro of It's So Easy. It's his midrange that suffers the most, which is why the biggest weak spots are songs like SCOM and YCBM. Songs like those might actually benefit from being tuned even one extra semitone down. That might allow him to sing those closer to his natural register, and thus sound stronger overall with more depth. Save the rasp for the key sections of those sounds and otherwise sing naturally.

Then just structure the rest of the set around what is more suited to his current abilities. Stuff like Pretty Tied Up, Bad Obsession, etc...

I wouldn't even object if they stopped the three hour shows. A lean and mean two hour show where they give it their all would feel tighter in my opinion.

I think he struggles when songs go in and out of multiple registers and especially in and out of that mid range. If it’s mainly all in one register like AC/DC, where there’s only a few notes, it’s much more stable. 

He’s approaching 60. It’s a very taxing vocal style. He has been willing to adapt his approach (whether people liked it or not) over the years and will probably have to do so again. I’m sure it’s still there for a few takes needed in the studio. Maybe one day we’ll hear it 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I literally said Jungle is irreplaceable. But if you think they have to play a song like CD forever, you could be surprised. There was a time once when they didn’t play it, and it definitely can just be replaced with something else – why not? What’s gonna happen? Do you think this is a song people come to? 
As for the others, you’re naming songs that I too have named as those that remain. But who says Nightrain can’t alternate with Michelle like in the 90s? Or Chinese with something else off Chinese Democracy? Or fucking Seeker with like Down on the Farm or something. And do they always have to open with ISE? Whatever happened to diversity and the element of surprise? "We kinda pick them as we go"...? 
They can’t go on forever with this tour as the reunion tour, containing the key members and therefore being played also/mainly for boomers etc. This has already been done ad nauseam, and now it’s time for shit like Skin n’ Bones, know what I mean? 
Kazillions of dollars have been made, now cater to the real fans. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TOS--LOA said:

I agree that this NITL SELECTS is too little too late, although I hope it continues and turns into something cool. 

But I don't understand people saying that the mix is bad. This is exactly how NITL GNR sounds in person and has always sounded. Frank's drums are eq'ed terribly always and Slash's tone and playing has always been weirdly shreddy and dry/digital sounding. NITL GNR has always sounded like a completely different band from '88 or ' 92 Era guns. Whether it's in person, on YouTube or even raw tracks from IEM. 

Has more to do with the volume levels, they didn't really normalize, plus the guitars are overlapping in the center channel, Slash is usually in the right channel with Izzy, Gilby, Fortus usually in the left. Just the guitar separation could help a lot

41 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I literally said Jungle is irreplaceable. But if you think they have to play a song like CD forever, you could be surprised. There was a time once when they didn’t play it, and it definitely can just be replaced with something else – why not? What’s gonna happen? Do you think this is a song people come to? 
As for the others, you’re naming songs that I too have named as those that remain. But who says Nightrain can’t alternate with Michelle like in the 90s? Or Chinese with something else off Chinese Democracy? Or fucking Seeker with like Down on the Farm or something. And do they always have to open with ISE? Whatever happened to diversity and the element of surprise? "We kinda pick them as we go"...? 
They can’t go on forever with this tour as the reunion tour, containing the key members and therefore being played also/mainly for boomers etc. This has already been done ad nauseam, and now it’s time for shit like Skin n’ Bones, know what I mean? 
Kazillions of dollars have been made, now cater to the real fans. 

I misread the jungle thing, as you read the Chinese Democracy thing... I definitely don't think Chinese is irreplaceable, I was saying that in comparison to Prostitute it's a much, much better live song. 

Hey, I'd love if My Michelle was in more sets... but Nightrain is also one of my favourite songs and it always gets a great reaction, My Michelle is a little slower and possibly a bit more of a deeper cut in 2020, so that's why it's not always in the set.

On 22/05/2020 at 1:24 PM, GNR_RNR said:

It is absolutely entitlement. Just look at what we've had since 2014 and how people still complain.

No, it's not. If the band were actually releasing stuff, actively communicating with the fan base, actually doing something other than hitting city X for the 3rd time on the same tour with basically an identical setlist, then yes it would be a sense of entitlement. But that's not the case here. 

What have we had from the band themselves since 2014, besides Slash and Duff and a handful of deepcuts over a 4yr period? Absolutely nothing when you think of the potential that was there. 

Really don't know how you can think people have a sense of self entitlement when the band literally give us nothing except the same live show we've all seen 

Edited by thomasmcole
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TOS--LOA said:

I went to a 2016 show and the mix was better than this. I could hear the bass and the Fortus guitar perfectly, and the drums sounded better too.

The mix of this video os horrible

• Like 2

4 hours ago, James Bond said:

There we go, man. Something we agree on. :lol:

I'd say he's guilty of the same thing is Estranged during the opening lines. Probably a couple others as well. He seems to straddle between that thinner high and his talking/low singing voice. He'd be totally fine to just sing it all low as he did way back when, and I think it would improve the overall sound of some of these songs if he did as you suggested.

The clips of Pretty Tied Up from the Mexico soundcheck sounded fantastic. He clearly went clean for the chorus but with the support from the backing vocals it was a smart approach. Take it easy when he can and relearn various peak points in other songs.

Yeah Estranged is a weird one. No need for the head voice yet he goes for it every time. It must just be a comfort thing for him because it just makes no sense.

It's the same things as when he switched up how he sang mr brownstone in the 90's. And since then I've just not dug any live version of brownstone (with the exception of 2010 rose bar).

His mid range is strange because it's there yet it isn't. Was listening to the "I feel good" cover from 2017 and he busts out a real nice mid voice (range of voices actually) on that. Plenty of rasp. Yet YCBM will suffer from the same thin voice issue.

I think the more Axl sings a song the 'cleaner' he will make it. I think this points to a concentrated effort  to smooth out his vocals be that for voice sparing or stylistic choices who knows.

Would love to hear way more of the 2010 'low' rasp return but I will say that using the clean voice has allowed Axl to keep his voice in pretty decent condition (in terms of range and projection etc). 

3 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Certainly I think he could keep the head voice for SCOM. While the clean voice gets a bit too much stick on here it fits that song pretty well imo.

But NR could switch to a more 'you aint the first' type voice and would sound ace. 

10 minutes ago, thomasmcole said:

No, it's not. If the band were actually releasing stuff, actively communicating with the fan base, actually doing something other than hitting city X for the 3rd time on the same tour with basically an identical setlist, then yes it would be a sense of entitlement. But that's not the case here. 

What have we had from the band themselves since 2014, besides Slash and Duff and a handful of deepcuts over a 4yr period? Absolutely nothing when you think of the potential that was there. 

Really don't know how you can think people have a sense of self entitlement when the band literally give us nothing except the same live show we've all seen 

A band doesn't owe fans proshots. Sure they are nice (and I'm glad they've started releasing them) but the majority don't just chuck them out for free.

Imagine complaining to 2014 fans that Slash and Duff were back and playing 'Coma'+'Locomotive'. You'd be laughed out.

Just read this thread, the entitlement is obvious.

5 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

A band doesn't owe fans proshots. Sure they are nice (and I'm glad they've started releasing them) but the majority don't just chuck them out for free.

Imagine complaining to 2014 fans that Slash and Duff were back and playing 'Coma'+'Locomotive'. You'd be laughed out.

I think it’s different to compare the sentiment of a reunited GNR in 2014 and the current reality that we’re now down this road and there’s a certain expectation on how artists connect with their fans in 2020. 

They’ve opened that box and the expectations that come with it in the market. They can certainly choose not to interact in common ways these days, but that doesn’t save them from fan’s criticism. It’s 2020, they should be interacting in different ways through different channels. It’s great that they’ve taken this step, but to compare it to how anything else is done, it’s quite honestly the bare minimum

Now that can all change, and they should  be encouraged to do more. People want it and they can certainly find a way to turn that enthusiasm into their favor for future endeavors. I hope it works out 

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

This is the kind of set GNR should do imo:

Nightrain

Hard School

Welcome To The Jungle

It's So Easy

Bad Obsession

Live & Let Die

Don't Cry

Double Talkin Jive

Locomotive

Acoustic set:

- You Ain't The First (alternating with Used To Love Her)

- You're Crazy (alternating with acoustic version of Civil War)

- Patience

- Sweet Child O Mine (whole step down to make it easier to sing, half acoustic, full band kicking in before the solo)

Atlas Shrugged

Chinese Democracy

The Seeker

Knockin On Heavens Door

Since I Don't Have You

November Rain

Mr Brownstone

Paradise City

If hell freezes over and they release a new album, take Locomotive, Since I Don't Have You and Double Talkin Jive out of the set and replace them with the new songs.

Since I don't have you... it's a cover, but one of my all time favourite Guns moments! I would love if they just did it every once in a while, OR if Axl played it before NV solo on Piano! there is definitely room for an Axl on piano solo moment... and towards the end Slash coming out and playing the solo on top of the piano... a guy can dream 🤣

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

So if we don’t get shit until 2030 you’re still going to be with the argument: “oh guys, no one predicted they would be back in 2014, stop complaining”. I don’t think that’s how a band (or music) works at all.

41 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Bands aren't entitled to slavish praise just like fans aren't "entitled" to content. 

None of this is necessary and nobody is entitled to shit.

But how come Slash can pull this off?

But GUNS N' F'N ROSES can't.

Edited by Ant
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

31 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Is it entitlement, or disappointment?

I don't think many people are saying "they owe us this" or "we deserve that", but it is frustrating when we know how good this band could be. Most people seem to agree that the Salt Lake City pro-shot is a step in the right direction, but it's definitely an odd choice to release this first (poor audio and no close up shots of the lead singer isn't exactly great promotion).

That said, Double Talkin' Jive was the highlight and I'm hoping for a few more gems in the upcoming weeks.

• Like 4