NITL live videos on youtube

43 minutes ago, jamillos said:

While I still don't understand the choices (why not 2016??), this is way better than the first one. And Slash is a beast, I'll keep saying that till I die. The band used to be mostly about Axl, but now... 

Edit: The sound of drums is horrible though, and I can barely hear them. 

Maybe that was the idea :-)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

At this point they either get it sounding good one way or another (possibly rearrange it, or change the key)... they can't drop it because it's their biggest song... but fuck, if it was based on how well the perform it? I would drop the song in a second along with 90% of their major hits. The set would filled with deep cuts so we'd be over the moon!

SCOM could be performed acoustically for a tour, would be something different and might make the guys excited about performing it. I guess playing a song for the 10000th time might be a bit of a drag... but watching 100000 people jump and sing to it cannot not be amazing, no matter how many times you see it!

Maybe their biggest song, but i doubt all the hardcore fans (of which seem to be a minority) arnt buying tickets to hear SCOM. I cant imagine the casuals going to further concerts to hear it. I think all casuals have saw the band in the last 4 years and that ticks GNR off, on any bucket list. Which brings us back to the hardcore fans. I would be happy to sacrifice SCOM for any illusion deep cuts.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

At this point I’m convinced that the Lebeis family, after years of telling Axl he still sounds amazing, have bought into their own lie and can’t tell the difference anymore. I can’t understand why they’re choosing some of Axl’s worst performances and why they would highlight YCBM and SCOM in the same video, along with choosing SCOM for the Super Bowl show. I almost wouldn’t highlight YCBM period, I know it’s a classic but it’s embarassing at this point and shouldn’t even be in the setlist. 

Actual video, sound was way better than last week. Slither pro shot is exciting. I just wish Axl/TB would put more effort into disguising Axl’s weak moments since these always incite hundreds of “Axl sounds like mickey” throughout social media and youtube comments and have the potential to go viral in a negative way. I may be alone on this but I wouldn’t have even minded some overdubbing here :shrugs:

YCBM, coma and TIL should be removed from the setlist. 

33 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

I read the comments first so did not know what to expect.  I enjoyed it and found Axl to be more animated then I expected, I have not been to a GnR concert yet, and after seeing this I would definately go.  I know it would not be the same as the early days but I think its all about expectations, it is 30 years since the beginning.  Thanks Fernando.

Axl's still a great performer. Slash is amazing, Duff is really great. They put on a top show. Most people at the show are thrilled afterwards and the reviews are mostly positive. So the negative stuff you get here is not at all what you get at a show. People go to a show, are all excited about a great performance, only to read on here that it actually sucked.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

scrolling thru this thread, is almost as entertaining as every show thread we had in the past, thanks for giving me a few good laughs.

But on a more seriouse note, the recent clip is of course an improvement to the first one, but it's far away from an professionally mixed live show for an official release. 

And that's my only complaint, why the hell can't they get somebody on board, who does a better job on videosound engineering?

Edited by EricA
  • Like 1

Just now, EricA said:

scrolling thru this thread, is almost as entertaining as every show thread we had in the past, thanks for giving me a few good laughs.

But on a more seriouse note, the recent clip is of course an improvement to the first one, but it's far away from an professionally mixed live show for an offical release. 

And that's my only complaint, why the hell can't they get somebody on board, who does a better job on videosound engineering?

Because they would have to pay someone. Management seem like extremely tight asses who aren't willing to spare a dime for anyone.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Towelie said:

But he can't sing. People have just lowered their expectations so much that they'll accept any shit that's offered. If a random man got up singing karaoke like that in a pub, he would be booed and jeered and laughed at. People give him a pass because he's Axl Rose and he can hide behind the great musicianship of players like Slash, Buckethead, Bumblefoot et al. But lets be real here for a moment, Axl Rose sounds like dog shit. I wouldn't dare play this to any of my friends or family, would you? 

All of my friends and family have been thinking Axl can't sing since 1987, so I guess that's a no :lol:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lio said:

All of my friends and family have been thinking Axl can't sing since 1987, so I guess that's a no :lol:

Yes, but he really can't sing now. That's a style thing - some people don't like the screeching 80s hard rock style of singing, but anyone who knows anything about singing will attest that Axl was world class in 1987. 

It doesn't take a professional vocal coach to tell that Axl Rose circa 2012-2020 sounds like shit a good 80% of the time.

Edited by Towelie

Just watched this.

Thoughts:

In general, very good. Having read the comments on here first I was very pleasantly surprised as I was expecting a horror show.

Slash on fire. Loving the green guitar. Excellent all round. Simples!

Duff's bass licks are great, loving the funky stuff during the RQ intro. Attitude great.

Fortus solid and harmless as ever. RQ solo totally unnecessary!, but he's a gifted player and can shred a bit. Don't like the rhythm bit he plays under the RQ solo though, far too cheesy. 

Dizzy / Melissa might as well have not been there (for these 5 songs at least).

Axl's voice ok to good. Vocals at the end of RQ are fantastic, but he does struggle a touch in a few parts - he briefly but noticeably drops down an octave at the end of the RQ second verse. I think we need to accept at his age he will never recreate what he could have done in his thirties, so I've no complaints at all. His low register is still completely fantastic ("where do we go" immediately after SCOM solo). I'm sure it sounded even better live (i.e. there). Maybe drop the songs down a key might help in a year or so. I agree with other comments that he should sing Slither closer to how Scott sang it. The biggest missed opportunity with Axl was the wilderness years - 95-2005 when he was at the perfect age, but didn't tour. It's the equivalent of the Muhammad Ali years when he didn't fight due to Vietnam right at what would have been the peak of his career.

Band overall made a few mistakes here and there, but this is not the London Philharmonic, and adds to the charm. They lack the "sleaze factor" a touch (see below for drums).

Sound mix in general excellent (see below for drums).

So, drums...

I'm a drummer, so I'm aware I'm overly critical of drumming and likely have biased views. There's two things here - the drummer himself, and the drum sound mix.

With drums the truth is that a good band with a bad drummer will sound like a bad band, and a bad band with a good drummer can sound tight as fuck.

Frank is absolutely solid, and while he's far from my favourite GnR drummer (Stephen for sleaze and groove, Matt for rhythm, Brain overall), he's not bad. He just lacks the "sleaze factor" and groove particularly on songs like RQ where he is motoring the pace just a touch.

The main issue is the mix though. The GnR sound, particularly Appetite era, is that "sleaze " I mentioned which is all driven by the hi-hat and ride, and you can't even hear them!! Its terrible. All you can hear are what sound like gated and triggered bass and snare pops. Coincidentally i watched Appetite for Democracy last night (it was on UK tv) and the sound was exactly the same, so it isn't a new thing and has been a GnR feature since around 2010-12 (listen to RIR3 then this and compare the drum mix). You need to hear the slow groove of the hi-hat, the dynamics, caressing the rhythm of the song forwards - this is totally lacking. It is most noticeable in SCOM. Sort the drum sound out, and even with Frank playing, it would elevate the whole thing 1000%.

Anyway, my positive / constructive criticism!

Overall though - fully enjoyed it. Great to wake up to and watch with a breakfast coffee. 8/10.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Carburetta said:

Yeah ‘cos singing in time is too much for one of the greatest rock vocalists of all time, if only he had learnt that at some stage over the past 40yrs, imagine what he could have become? Maybe when he gets better at this “singing in time” he’ll really develop into something. Is there anything else you think he could learn?

Judging by Axl’s performances of his own songs the last few years, he can’t even sing his own songs in time, either speeding up, or slowing down, to the point of being completely out of time from the rest of the band, yet, you’re telling me he does this on purpose, because he’s a ‘professional’ singer... 

You nutswingers are hilarious :lol:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Yeah, it's a shitshow, but we didn't need pro-shot "selects" to find that out. Axl's sounded dreadful for years.

This band are a disgrace and it's all on Axl. 

It's kind of funny seeing the drones in the audience singing along, seemingly in their own little world, pretending it's 1992. No, it doesn't sound better in person. You've been had and you just don't want to admit it.

I would be embarrassed to be caught on camera looking like I'm enjoying this shit. It's painful and you look like a twat, a mug, having paid top dollar to witness a guy who doesn't even have the basic respect to put in the tiniest modicum of effort to sound listenable for his audience. 

Dude, come on. Yeah, Axl’s pretty much sucked since 2017 (my theory is that the AC/DC thing has seriously worn down his throat), but "drones" in the audience, "pretending it’s 1992"? Man, they’re just having a good time. Some of them weren’t even around when Guns were in their heydays. And not everyone is a hard-core nutter like us here, dissecting Axl’s every syllable and every move. Why don’t we let those people have their fun. 
And I assure you I’m not one of those HTGTH-like defenders who don’t criticize anything. I always call em like I see em. E.g., Axl now sucks, and so does the playlist. Slash is god, though, etc. Peace. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

Dude, come on. Yeah, Axl’s pretty much sucked since 2017 (my theory is that the AC/DC thing has seriously worn down his throat), but "drones" in the audience, "pretending it’s 1992"? Man, they’re just having good time. Some of them weren’t even around when Guns were in their heydays. And not everyone is a hard-core nutter like us here, dissecting Axl’s every syllable and every move. Why don’t we let those people have their fun. 
And I assure you I’m not one of those HTGTH-like defenders who don’t criticize anything. I always call em like I see em. E.g., Axl now sucks, and so does the playlist. Slash is god, though, etc. Peace. 

I stand by what I said. 

Agree with you about Slash though. He's the only reason I watch these videos.

3 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I stand by what I said. 

Agree with you about Slash though. He's the only reason I watch these videos.

So basically, people who don't hate it like you do (i.e. who don't see it your way) are mindless zombies. Gotcha. Very mature, gotta say. ;) 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

So basically, people who don't hate it like you do (i.e. who don't see it your way) are mindless zombies. Gotcha. Very mature, gotta say. ;) 

People who pay top dollar to see Axl Rose half-ass it have more money than sense, yes. 

16 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

Judging by Axl’s performances of his own songs the last few years, he can’t even sing his own songs in time, either speeding up, or slowing down, to the point of being completely out of time from the rest of the band, yet, you’re telling me he does this on purpose, because he’s a ‘professional’ singer... 

You nutswingers are hilarious :lol:

I’m a nutswinger, but you on the other hand are a guy who because the song isn’t being sung exactly like Scott Weiland sang it, thinks that Axl is making timing errors all song long, and is doing this in front of 100k people, several nights a week? You realise that this is an unlikely scenario don’t you? 

27 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Axl's voice ok to good. Vocals at the end of RQ are fantastic, but he does struggle a touch in a few parts - he briefly but noticeably drops down an octave at the end of the RQ second verse.

Are you serious?

14 minutes ago, there is no dana only zool said:

Yep I know. I saw them at Leeds 2002. I don't really count a few random EU dates and a cancelled N/American tour etc (plus a couple of New Year warm ups and MTV) within what ultimately was a 13 year period (1993-2006) as making up for the lost opportunity I was referring to in terms of some of what could have been Axl's prime vocal years, which was the point I was trying to make.

13 minutes ago, Rayno said:

Are you serious?

Yep. The rasp that opens the outro. It deteriorates a bit further towards the end of the song if I'm being honest,  but that shrill is there. Don't get me wrong, this is not prime Axl, but take it for what it is and it isn't bad at all.