First 3 cds you ever bought?

megaguns1982

My experiences of high school echo Len's and Evan's. The ravers were sort of chavs before the term chavs was invented really. Shaven headed aggressive louts with acne, into football and rave and tracksuits/trainers. The rave scene sort of coalesces with football yobbery and chavdom really, one long chronological shit stain - it is hard to discern where one begins and the other ends. Three popular movements united by the tracksuits!

Human Traffic. That is a shite film. It has him from Life on Mars in it.

Metallers/rockers/musical bunch were sort of nerds without the redeeming feature of being intelligent. They were sort of a niche really in their black band t-shirts and dodgy hair, yes unpopular but distinct in their unpopularity from the certifiable nerds (chess club, specs). It is weird as I'd watch all these films in America like Dazed and Confused where being a rock high school child looks a laugh-a-minute, lots of free love, driving around in cars, cannabis and so forth. But then no high school I ever went to resembled ''American movie high school'' - whether American movie high school has some element of reality: all cheer leaders and continuous dating and lockers. My high school experience was more ehh gritty. More Trainspotting and less Saved by the Bell. More Scum and less Beverly Hills 9blahblah. The girls in my school were more Vicky Pollard and less Alicia Silverstone - these were girls you'd run a mile from, not chase! 

My school, since demolished, had this dodgy (asbestos?) smell. Foisty. Used to go straight into the shower when I returned home to wash it off. It was the quintessential red brick decaying Victorian penitentiary type institute; the Victorians and early Edwardians built millions of these horrendous places out of red brick, not just schools but the same design was used for prisons, hospitals and borstals - mental hospitals especially.  

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Haha 1

I went to a tough school with a lot of wicked kids who attacked teachers during an argument, a lot of violence and juvenile delinquency going on. Needless to say I didn't fit in. If getting paddled by some seniors once a year like in Dazed and Confused was the worst thing to happen, I would have probably had a blast. Graduating and realizing I never had to go back to that insane place was one of the best moments of my life up until that point.

I had only cassettes until I was 18. The first ones I bought were mixtapes with hits of the time made by stores that sold blank cassettes or by neighborhood record stores. The first official cassette was also a compilation of "new wave" hits, then it was probably a Scorpions Greatest Hits.

I obtained a pickup and a cd player at the same time so I started buying LPs (mostly used) and cds simultaneously. The first bunch of LPs I got were Sticky Fingers by the Rolling Stones, Raw Power by Iggy and the Stooges, Aladdin Sane by Bowie, the Sex Pistols and The Pipers At The Gates of Dawn by Pink Floyd. I'm not sure about the very first cds - Green by REM was probably one of them, then maybe the Stone Roses. Or maybe Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division that I already had on cassette - my taste had developed in the meantime :lol:

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

That is an exact mirror image of my school years.  Precisely what you've described here, a 'greasy metaller' was about the worst thing you could possibly be.  It goes to show you all that exstacy/second summer of love/hug drug bullshit was a load of crap, it was like lads, working class lads, very aggressive football fan working class lads into that shit and they didn't tolerate alternatives.  It kinda makes you look at the original summer of love, or did with me, and think, well, was it really like that?  Is any new wave/new way thing ever as advertised on the packet, or is it just a bunch of zealots with the latest brand of cultural fascism?  

Thats no fault of the music though, or the idea behind it, thats a fault of execution.  Believe it or not that shit all has its roots in punk.  

Everything gets romanticized, the Summer of Love I'm sure is no different.

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

My experiences of high school echo Len's and Evan's. The ravers were sort of chavs before the term chavs was invented really. Shaven headed aggressive louts with acne, into football and rave and tracksuits/trainers. The rave scene sort of coalesces with football yobbery and chavdom really, one long chronological shit stain - it is hard to discern where one begins and the other ends. Three popular movements united by the tracksuits!

Metallers/rockers/musical bunch were sort of nerds without the redeeming feature of being intelligent. They were sort of a niche really in their black band t-shirts and dodgy hair, yes unpopular but distinct in their unpopularity from the certifiable nerds (chess club, specs). It is weird as I'd watch all these films in America like Dazed and Confused where being a rock high school child looks a laugh-a-minute, lots of free love, driving around in cars, cannabis and so forth. But then no high school I ever went to resembled ''American movie high school'' - whether American movie high school has some element of reality: all cheer leaders and continuous dating and lockers. My high school experience was more ehh gritty. More Trainspotting and less Saved by the Bell. More Scum and less Beverly Hills 9blahblah. The girls in my school were more Vicky Pollard and less Alicia Silverstone - these were girls you'd run a mile from, not chase! 

My school, since demolished, had this dodgy (asbestos?) smell. Foisty. Used to go straight into the shower when I returned home to wash it off. It was the quintessential red brick decaying Victorian penitentiary type institute; the Victorians and early Edwardians built millions of these horrendous places out of red brick, not just schools but the same design was used for prisons, hospitals and borstals - mental hospitals especially.  

I cant believe you bothered to type out all that shit 😂

There is a very elderly women in my neighbourhood who wears full on raver outfits everyday. A zip up like the one above and huge baggy pants of a similar material. Also a boxed baseball cap, like early 90s rappers.

ive now learned that she’s wearing either Kangol or Australian clothes.

shes all tiny and hunched over. And her raver outfit is always baller af :headbang:

8 minutes ago, soon said:

There is a very elderly women in my neighbourhood who wears full on raver outfits everyday. A zip up like the one above and huge baggy pants of a similar material. Also a boxed baseball cap, like early 90s rappers.

ive now learned that she’s wearing either Kangol or Australian clothes.

shes all tiny and hunched over. And her raver outfit is always baller af :headbang:

Hopefully she doesn't have the same haircut as those Dutch raver chicks back in the day, they scared me,

12 beste afbeeldingen van gabber - Roodharige meisje, Jaren 80 ...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Hopefully she doesn't have the same haircut as those Dutch raver chicks back in the day, they scared me,

A number of women I know have this hairdo :lol: I dont mind those amazons so much :wub: Although this Dutch lass looks kinda mean.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

if you could somehow pad this post out to the size of a novel, I'm sure it would be heralded a post-modern classic

14 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Everything gets romanticized, the Summer of Love I'm sure is no different.

Yeah.  You get so caught up though, in these eulogizing documentaries and books and stuff that you (or I rather) sometimes find yourself repeating this shit like its a fact, or arguing the merits of one era over the other and bringing up these generalisations when, broadly speaking, its all a load of sociological bollocks.  What is important though, is the work, whether it be your Are You Experienceds or your Nevermind the Bollockses, thats where the substance lies I think.

Iggy Pop made a point in his Stooges documentary that like...a lot of it stinks, that 60s flower power stuff, it was just a bunch of false bandwagon jumping bollocks, I can't remember the exact quote but he conveys it in quite a good way, whilst referencing The Marrakech Express as the particular load of bollocks that he found most objectionable.  

'In the 50s they figured out how to suck the life out of rock n roll, on the one hand lets replace Elvis with Fabian and at the same time we'll run out Perry Como on em.  This was happening again (in the mid 60s)  Rock n roll at the time was being co-opted by a political industrial complex of corrupt performers and evil manager owners who were going to create whatever they thought was the best product for them whether you want it or not, we're gonna shove this down your little throats, they rejected their own country and their own people, its cultural treason.  There was more of the American Idol, more of the corny talent show suggested to the American audience at that time than people like to admit...I mean somebody needs to say some of the biggest peace/love acts of the California 5 years of love were created in meetings and the stuff smells.  I say it still smells'.

I think he's talking in part about certain aspects of the British Invasion there as well as the flower power stuff.  He's makes a solid point too, America had some great rock n roll bands in the 60s that they kind of...shunned, sold out, The Standells, Count Five, The Stooges, The Barbarians, The Doors...and most of em they kinda swept under the carpet because they wanted like, Hermans Hermits.  I mean you've got to wonder if Morrison wasn't such a sexy motherfucker, whether a band like that might've suffered the same fate as the aforementioned.  I like to think the work was strong enough so as to get itself at least a strong cult following.  Lets face it, the industry turned on The Doors pretty quick too.  Cultural treason as Iggy says.  I agree with him, the industry kinda sold their own people out.

Edited by Len Cnut

14 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

I cant believe you bothered to type out all that shit 😂

4 hours ago, action said:

if you could somehow pad this post out to the size of a novel, I'm sure it would be heralded a post-modern classic

Allow me a reprieve: I'm stuck in a house and cricketless! At least you know about my asbestosy school now. Soul can investigate further, interviewing the teachers, many of whom had nervous breakdowns, about me. 

13 hours ago, EvanG said:

Minus the shaven sides, that is not far from the type of lady that frequented my school. Women who could turn a guy gay.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

At least you know about my asbestosy school now. Soul can investigate further, interviewing the teachers, many of whom had nervous breakdowns, about me. 

but first, he'll point out the inacceptable terminology you use. it's not asbestos, but amosite / crocidolite or chrisotile. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EvanG said:

This is what they wore, like, every single day. I don't know if the brand is actually called ''australian'' but that's what everyone called them.

Hard-Wear Nr 1 Online Gabber & Streetwear Store Australian jack ...

The look was bad and the people wearing it usually weren't my kind of people either. But damn they must've been comfy as hell all day every day. 

8 minutes ago, username said:

But damn they must've been comfy as hell all day every day. 

I don't know, they must have been freezing in winter, tracksuits aren't exactly winterproof. They also wore those Cavello pants, which looked like pyjamas.