Something to actually look forward to: Queen is live streaming the Freddie Mercury Tribute concert today

I can remember watching this live at the time. "They're making a cunt of that Dylan song" was my old mans remark during GNRs set. 

Didn't even think the bollix knew who Dylan was .... 

Both tunes in their set were epic on the day and Slashs solo during tie your mother down is pretty cool. Hetfield & Iommi on stone cold crazy was cool as fuck.

One of the last appearances of Mick Ronson onstage also. A great guitar player and crucial to bowies sound and the spiders sound overall. 

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 1

...the superb Annie Lennox.  I cannot think of a band that would rouse that much excitement today, must have been amazing to be there.  Axl gives off the same incredible energy and swagger here as he did with Mick Jagger, a joy to watch and hear.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chewy2 said:

I'm watching it now.  My memory is fuzzy after 30 years but I remember watching this over & over on MTV back then.  I remember some of the bands also had their sets mixed in or maybe that was the way MTV cut the show?  Was that a different day of the concert or something?  I seem to remember GNR being on during daylight.

I didn’t follw the stream cause I got the blu ray but I expect they just streamed the actual gig where Queen was onstage with different guest artists. 

What you have in mind are performances from the opening bands right before the actual tribute show. They happened during the daylight including GNR performing Paradise City ans KOHD. The KHOD performance became the official GNR music video and was played a million times per day by MTV in 1992. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, zigzagbigbag said:

I didn’t follw the stream cause I got the blu ray but I expect they just streamed the actual gig where Queen was onstage with different guest artists. 

What you have in mind are performances from the opening bands right before the actual tribute show. They happened during the daylight including GNR performing Paradise City ans KOHD. The KHOD performance became the official GNR music video and was played a million times per day by MTV in 1992. 

Does the blu ray have all that content? I think the DVD hasn't, thats why I never bought it. And they always cut out the Spinal Tap segment!

25 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Does the blu ray have all that content? I think the DVD hasn't, thats why I never bought it. And they always cut out the Spinal Tap segment!

The 2013 BluRay is the most complete version you can get. But it still misses some performances. From wikipedia:

„The concert was originally released in VHS form (usually in two tape releases worldwide), but due to time limitations, "Love of My Life" and "More Than Words" by Extreme, "Animal" and "Let's Get Rocked" by Def Leppard, Spinal Tap's "The Majesty of Rock", U2's "Until The End of the World", Mango Groove's "Special Star" and Robert Plant's version of "Innuendo" were removed in the original release. The US release also omitted Bob Geldof's performance of "Too Late God", and Zucchero Fornaciari's performance of "Las Palabras de Amor".

In April 2002, for the 10th anniversary of the Mercury Phoenix Trust, the second half of the concert featuring the performances by the surviving members of Queen was released on DVD and entered the UK charts at number 1.[7] "Innuendo" was not included on the DVD, at the request of Robert Plant. In addition, the original 4:3 footage had been cropped down to widescreen.

On 24 June 2013, Queen announced on their Facebook page that a new remastered version of the concert would be released in late 2013 on DVDand Blu-ray.[8] The DVD and Blu-ray was released on 2 September 2013. Like the earlier, VHS release, this version excludes Extreme's "Love of My Life" and "More Than Words", Def Leppard's "Animal" and "Let's Get Rocked", Spinal Tap, U2 and Mango Groove from the opening acts segment of the show, and Robert Plant's "Innuendo" from the Queen+ segment of the show.“

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Stress Fracture said:

Axl running out as the pyro goes off is his most iconic moment IMHO. Never fails to get me pumped. You can see from the footage that Roger Taylor felt it too.

That was a perfect time when English crowds were the best in the world. The pure emotion they felt in Freddie and those songs. I love english football from that time because of the crowds and the release they showed and felt when their team scored. they all wanted to be as close as possible to the person that scored and show them their appreciation. A time before hundreds of people died and general admission standing areas were banned and are still banned to this day. 

everyone wanted to be a little closer to Freddie and the guys that night and you can certainly feel it when you see it on this video. Even 28 years after it first aired.

47 minutes ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Yo do know that Youtube lowered their quality during Corona virus? 

That’s not true. The only thing they did is that videos will start playing at 480p by default , but you can obviously change it back to 1080p. Nothing about bitrates.

Most people don’t even care about changing video quality settings, so because of those people YouTube saves a lot of bandwidth by playing them at 480p instead of 1080p.

Edited by GNRfanMILO

Edit: and i should say they certainly felt it through the other musicians who played that show because as you can see from this thread alone, it became a big thing for Guns as well. Songs like Knockin On Heavens door were perfect for that moment in time and Axl knew it. Thats like 100,000 people SCREAMING Knockin on Heavens Door for Freddie. I feel like Axl choosing that song is putting that moment over his music.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stress Fracture said:

Axl running out as the pyro goes off is his most iconic moment IMHO. Never fails to get me pumped. You can see from the footage that Roger Taylor felt it too.

I think he was at the peak of his career at that very moment.

Edited by jamillos

19 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

That’s not true. The only thing they did is that videos will start playing at 480p by default , but you can obviously change it back to 1080p. Nothing about bitrates.

Most people don’t even care about changing video quality settings, so because of those people YouTube saves a lot of bandwidth by playing them at 480p instead of 1080p.

My bad. Didn’t know. 

1 hour ago, Stress Fracture said:

And axl looking at the Sky above Is such a touching Moment.. as if he was thanking Freddie.. :heart:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I tend to agree, but Axl's second (and arguably more substantial) career peak was his simultaneous fronting of a reunited GN'R and AC/DC. 

Absolutely.

To go from the Axl we saw in 2011-2014 to fronting two of the largest rock bands on the planet was just great to see.

The only other rock comeback that comes close in recent memory is Liam Gallagher. 

16 hours ago, alfierose said:

Great nostalgia trip. Something like this from GNR would be great - I'd stump up some charity cash for sure.

Right? Makes me remember how good he was then and how bad he sounds now. 

2 hours ago, Gold top 78 said:

I still get goosebumps whenever I watch GNR on the Freddie Mercury tribute concert. A top band on top of the world. Probably one of my favourite performances of KOHD and PC. 

Yeah I just watched bohemian rhapsody and got goose bumps when he came out too

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I tend to agree, but Axl's second (and arguably more substantial) career peak was his simultaneous fronting of a reunited GN'R and AC/DC. 

I don't disagree, but times are different now, it will never be the same etc., etc. 

Also, this was just one exact moment I was talking about. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1