Fucking Guitar Players

I play Guitar, drums, bass. I listen to music, I hear the song etc.... I know when to lean in when to lean out, when to play some rhythm play a lick etc. Most songs work like that... 

But Why are most guitarists 

A) Noodling over the whole fucking tune

B) trying each time To get the licks they Painstakingly laboured to learn into every song. Every part. No consideration for song structure or shade or nuance.

c) 85% of the time demand attention because they play the fucking guitar. 

d) amateur fuckers looking for everyone to gather round at some campfire so they can have a moment of stardom or something. 

as I said I play instruments and others apart from those mentioned, but I didn’t disappear up my own hole once I could play some licks or whatever.... 

Fucking guitar players :facepalm: :lol:

Anyone else have this problem who also plays guitar? Or in general?

Getting my music degree, I noticed that those who had the tendency to showboat the most were often either the ones who could either do only one trick but really well (sweeping and mimicking John Petrucci) or were jazz snobs snowboating how many superimpositions they could do over a chord progression lol.  The favorite players of any instrument I had the most fun jamming with were the most understated for sure

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

I made this topic after a jam from hell. :lol: 

Who turns up to an acoustic jam with the guitar tuned open D ?

Once I seen the slide my heart sank. 

Twas then I knew the ancient art of weaving would not be appearing this afternoon.

Fucking guitar players...... :lol:

8 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Twas then I knew the ancient art of weaving would not be appearing this afternoon.

Was it Joni Mitchell?

6 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Getting my music degree, I noticed that those who had the tendency to showboat the most were often either the ones who could either do only one trick but really well (sweeping and mimicking John Petrucci) or were jazz snobs snowboating how many superimpositions they could do over a chord progression lol.  The favorite players of any instrument I had the most fun jamming with were the most understated for sure

I dunno why but some dudes only hear themselves while playing, they never listen to what the other guy (s) are playing, or what the singers needs... 

Early Guns, The Stones, Crazy Horse, and a fuckload more all knew how to blend their guitars and where to take things. 

Some guitar players remind me of guys who would sit in the corner having a wank looking at the bed of babes rather than dive in and get freaky. :lol:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Nothing wrong with a bit of open D. You can play through most of Blood on the Tracks.

I wish I could be a showoff on guitar like described, but I can't even play "about a girl" without messing up.

this reminds me of the other day.

My son needed to bring his dad with him at school, and the idea was that the dad would showcase something he was good at. I was quickly to grab my acoustic guitar. So I sat there on a stool, kids gathered around me, and then it hit me I didn't have a clue what to play. So I thought I'll play about a girl, and by the second riff I forget the notes.

So these kids, 5-6 years old, looked at me and asked when I would start playing a song. Well fuck me, I was playing for 5 minutes already by that point!

Things became awkward really quick, so I decided to hand out my guitar to the nearest kid, and told him to play something. the kid couldn't play, but he still got the whole class rocking.

Edited by action

14 minutes ago, action said:

I wish I could be a showoff on guitar like described, but I can't even play "about a girl" without messing up.

this reminds me of the other day.

My son needed to bring his dad with him at school, and the idea was that the dad would showcase something he was good at. I was quickly to grab my acoustic guitar. So I sat there on a stool, kids gathered around me, and then it hit me I didn't have a clue what to play. So I thought I'll play about a girl, and by the second riff I forget the notes.

So these kids, 5-6 years old, looked at me and asked when I would start playing a song. Well fuck me, I was playing for 5 minutes already by that point!

Things became awkward really quick, so I decided to hand out my guitar to the nearest kid, and told him to play something. the kid couldn't play, but he still got the whole class rocking.

Just fuckin' play a load of chords, its not like the cunts would know any fuckin' songs anyway, just play a load of random and keep some kind of consistent rhythm going :lol:  You can blag your way through guitar playing y'know, just fuckin' look like you know what you're doing, Marc Bolan made a career out of it :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone else have this problem who also plays guitar? Or in general?

Not really. I think you're hanging out with the wrong musicians. I'm a lead guitarist in a band and I only use my moment to shine when I am playing a solo. For the rest of the time I am trying to get a good groove going with my bandmates. I have even encouraged my rhythm guitarist to play a few solos because I don't want to be the only one noodling all the time. Plus I like that twin guitar sound and bands that basically have two lead players.

I get where you're coming from, though, a lot of lead players think they are the most important member of the band.

Edited by EvanG

Yeah those types are the worst. Need to tare off the bandaid and become known for not spending time, musically, with people like that. 

Conversely, I dealt with this one guy. One of the best hard rock lead guitarists I had the pleasure to work with. And he wouldn't rip because of this notion of being "tasteful." I was ready to slap him silly, like "You will shred. And you will shred hard, motherfucker!" haha

I say there is a time and place for both moderation and overindulgence. Even the concept of 'moderation' should be applied in moderation. But guitar players should stop wanking during rehearsals. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, soon said:

I say there is a time and place for both moderation and overindulgence. Even the concept of 'moderation' should be applied in moderation. But guitar players should stop wanking during rehearsals. 

Shredding is often looked down upon these days, but there's an art to it as well. I rather play a soulful, melodic guitar solo with cool bluesy licks, but I can enjoy a crazy shred solo any day if it benefits the song. And when you're jamming together and it feels right, there's no harm in going crazy sometimes, and that goes for every bandmember, not just the guitarist.

• GNFNR 1

Well, I've been in the other side - I was the lead guitar in 2 bands that tried to sabotage me. Things like turning down the volume of my amp or the other way around, getting the rhythm guitar louder than me. And no, I wasn't that bad hahaha.

I don't play in a band for 13 years now. I don't miss the idiotic stuff and ego battles. I'm pretty ok with just rocking with backing tracks on YouTube or by myself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Well, I've been in the other side - I was the lead guitar in 2 bands that tried to sabotage me. Things like turning down the volume of my amp or the other way around, getting the rhythm guitar louder than me. And no, I wasn't that bad hahaha.

I don't play in a band for 13 years now. I don't miss the idiotic stuff and ego battles. I'm pretty ok with just rocking with backing tracks on YouTube or by myself.

That shit happened to the great Izzy f'n Stradlin, so I wouldn't let it get you down.

It might just be the lockdown talking, but I am way happy to play on my own lately too. I just ordered an inexpensive new multi fx with drum patterns so that I can have a jam along rig in multiple spots in my home. Now I can play on headphones in the middle of the night without having to get out of bed, haha. Sure seems better than lugging my gear to some jerks house to hear them struggle to tune up a snare drum for 45 minutes! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, soon said:

That shit happened to the great Izzy f'n Stradlin, so I wouldn't let it get you down.

It might just be the lockdown talking, but I am way happy to play on my own lately too. I just ordered an inexpensive new multi fx with drum patterns so that I can have a jam along rig in multiple spots in my home. Now I can play on headphones in the middle of the night without having to get out of bed, haha. Sure seems better than lugging my gear to some jerks house to hear them struggle to tune up a snare drum for 45 minutes! 

No kidding man, dealing with that shit can get you down. I realized I could make just as much money playing acoustic gigs and didn't have to deal with the other stuff. But with all the online tech available it really frees up musicians from a creative standpoint.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, soon said:

I'm recording a lot of stuff and posting on YouTube and Instagram. And learning a ton of Slash solos that I always felt lazy to actually learn how to play it.

• Like 1

''Me and some guys from school, had a band and we tried real hard. Jimmy quit, Jody got married. I should've known we would never get far.''

That's sorta how it always goes in a band. When you finally have a good thing going, something happens and you're starting again from scratch.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I'm with you on that. I've pulled a Buckethead on a few occasions when I've wanted to get out and play and just loaded my backing tracks on my phone and plug into the console. No egos, no nonsense. Just me and my guitar and a lot easier to load in and out!

Despite going to school in part for music it really is just something I enjoy regardless of whether or not I'm playing by myself or playing for an audience. I just like to play and don't have the patience for giant egos.

Before the quarantine I was gearing up to play in a small Indie outfit with my friend. That's definitely more my thing these days.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lame ass security said:

No kidding man, dealing with that shit can get you down. I realized I could make just as much money playing acoustic gigs and didn't have to deal with the other stuff.   

If I ever achieve anything close to your quality of vocal performance I will do the same. 

16 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I'm recording a lot of stuff and posting on YouTube and Instagram. And learning a ton of Slash solos that I always felt lazy to actually learn how to play it.

Nice. What’s your channel?

• Like 1