Fernando now claiming COVID “prevented Guns from releasing new material”

36 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Do we really wanna add that caveat to the GN'R catalogue? The last 26 years of the band came an overproduced album the record label wouldn't release, and then a rerecording by the reunion lineup of songs rejected for said album? If that's how all of this shakes out, I'll be slightly disappointed; the album would have to be great. In the same way I've already heard shadow of your love, I don't need to hear another version of hardschool really.

The other songs were not "rejected" for said album, they were slated for the second release. Axl always had intentions of releasing multiple albums, he was not going to put all the best stuff on CD. Just revisionism from old band purists.

On the one hand, all that they need to do to release a new album now is to take all of the songs which are 'in the can', package them up and put them on some download and streaming platforms. 

On the other hand, I am sure that the label would want to give the first original GnR album featuring Slash and Duff for nearly 30 years a big promo splash - not just a 'surprise album drop'. This would include, but not be limited to, a big tour, and other promo activities which aren't feasible in these times. 

So I for one can see where Fernando is coming from. 

6 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

I'm just saying, think of the GN'R catalogue, if they did that and it's their final album

Appetite

Lies

UYI I & II

Tokyo show

TSI - cover album

Live era - rerecorded live album

Chinese Democracy

Essentially Chinese Democracy II

Just doesn't feel right to me. I'd rather have a total collaboration. Do you think Duff and Slash, who already seem not heavily invested in the band, want the final part of their involvement with GN'R be a rerecording of 20 year old songs written by other people? Seems like even more wasted time unless the album is the best hard rock album of the year

As long as Slash and Duff had full creative input into the album I'd be fine. 

All the other albums had songs on them with additional writers (Arkeen, Huge etc) so it's nothing new.

1 minute ago, Sausagebrain said:

On the other hand, I am sure that the label would want to give the first original GnR album featuring Slash and Duff for nearly 30 years a big promo splash - not just a 'surprise album drop'. This would include, but not be limited to, a big tour, and other promo activities which aren't feasible in these times. 

Think this is one of the biggest hurdles that many overlook.

GNR will realistically never again release an album/single with more hype than the first one with Slash back.

6 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

The other songs were not "rejected" for said album, they were slated for the second release. Axl always had intentions of releasing multiple albums, he was not going to put all the best stuff on CD. Just revisionism from old band purists.

I'm not that intimate with the era, so that was probably a misspeak on my part. 

2 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

As long as Slash and Duff had full creative input into the album I'd be fine. 

All the other albums had songs on them with additional writers (Arkeen, Huge etc) so it's nothing new.

I understand what you're saying about the other people helping writing, I'm not against people collaborating; I'm just saying, if one or two of those old songs (since they are Axls songs) was recorded, and then they all collaborated to make 8-10 new tracks, id be much happier than 10 reworks. The best GN'R tracks have elements from each member, plus I think Fortus and Slash could write some killer new stuff

25 minutes ago, Sausagebrain said:

On the one hand, all that they need to do to release a new album now is to take all of the songs which are 'in the can', package them up and put them on some download and streaming platforms. 

So I for one can see where Fernando is coming from. 

Good. Keep this in the back of your head when its 2030 and the new album has been ‘on the way’ since 2008

• Like 1

And Arkeen and Huge?? Come on man. Those ‘contributions’ are nothing compared to all of the songs the Appetite/Illusions band wrote. Dont act like they are Robert Hunter-esque ghost writers or collaborators. I for one feel like they were in a good place at a good time, gave their ideas to Axl in his good graces because they knew they werent going to use them. Its absurd to think they need anyone else to help them write music at this point. Axl clearly had SOME sort of ideas that were not used on Chi Dem. we have found those ideas. Slash wrote and recorded 4 albums worth of ideas since Axls last album. Im not really sure of Duff’s songwriting ability, but at the end of the day that 3 minds that cant come up with one modicum of music..

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

I honestly don't mind restructred "old" songs as long as they are recorded by the current line-up to maintain a cohesiveness that was lacking with the "cut and paste" of Chinese Democracy. It worked out well for Van Halen. A Different Kind Of Truth was almost entirely stuff from the vault that was given a fresh coat of paint and the result was great. I still say the best approach to a new album would be the five best songs from the CD leftovers, all re-recorded by the current line-up, and then five brand new songs. The big three literally only have to write an EPs worth of material in that case. Tour it, then do it again. Axl finally slowly gets the rest of the CD stuff out there and we still get fresh songs from the big three.

I doubt Axl will completely re-record vocals. At most, I expect a lot of the instrumental parts to be re-recorded by the current lineup. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep some contributions of past members too. It will probably be like 2008 CD all over again, old songs, with performances by most everyone who worked on it, including former members. Casual fans will not be able to tell any difference. Many people bought CD thinking Slash was still in the band. Haha

I will be happy if they keep some of Brain, Robin, and Buckethead.

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

I may have gotten my threads mixed up this early in this morning. Could have sworn someone was saying we shouldn’t be rehashing the old band and GNR should be like Kiss and not even acknowledge their history.. it was probably in the “making videos available” thread

I mean you weren't/aren't wrong!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

From the soundcheck Slash and Duff have completely reworked Hardschool, no reason they couldn't do that with the rest of what Axl has. Axl doesn't have to write any new lyrics for there to be a new album.

If its just Chinese Leftovers the album will most likely suck. This is not how great music is created, ever. And seriously - Axl should WANT to record new vocals, maybe update the lyrics. 

How excited  can the listener get when the fucking singer can't be arsed to sing?

On the other hand, there are absolutly no signs of a creative unit here, it's far from a real band that wants to prove something or has anything to say other than "buy this shitty shirt for 60$".

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

And Arkeen and Huge?? Come on man. Those ‘contributions’ are nothing compared to all of the songs the Appetite/Illusions band wrote. Dont act like they are Robert Hunter-esque ghost writers or collaborators. I for one feel like they were in a good place at a good time, gave their ideas to Axl in his good graces because they knew they werent going to use them. Its absurd to think they need anyone else to help them write music at this point. Axl clearly had SOME sort of ideas that were not used on Chi Dem. we have found those ideas. Slash wrote and recorded 4 albums worth of ideas since Axls last album. Im not really sure of Duff’s songwriting ability, but at the end of the day that 3 minds that cant come up with one modicum of music..

Their contributions helped shape some of the best rock music ever released. 

Whilst I want to hear a new album featuring Axl and Slash I'm less concerned where those songs come from. If they have additional writers credited fin by me.

And they've clearly worked on music. The assumption otherwise is just silly.

21 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

If its just Chinese Leftovers the album will most likely suck. This is not how great music is created, ever. And seriously - Axl should WANT to record new vocals, maybe update the lyrics. 

Why would it? CD was a great album so it'd make sense any other songs worked on in those lengthy sessions would also be pretty damn good. 

I would like to hear newly recorded vocals from axl though. Even if only so they're easier for him to sing live.

Also, people acting like GNR wouldn’t just drop a new song out of the blue on tour and it would need months and months of promotion, 

Tell that to:

- Oh My God

- Silkworms 

- Street of Dreams

- Rhiad & The Bedouins 

- MADAGASCAR (at an award show no less)

- Chinese Democracy 

- Better

- I.R.S

and of course: 

- There Was A Time (which has been played more times with Slash than any previous version of Nu GNR)

Maybe they would have played Hard School on this next little run they had, but its been on the setlist since what, summer 2019 when all this shit leaked? It just feels like wasted time at this point. The Superbowl show would have been the time to drop it and have massive hype going into the Mexico shows

You know, he seems alright. But he hasn't changed my mind about his handling of gnr management. Everything was "my bad, I dropped the ball... just so much other stuff to do"... ok, I get it there must be a lot of things to do with gnr, but releasing of promotional live videos? That's far more important than releasing a new bandana, and for Fernando and band it's the same level of work... "I like this, I don't like that get the media crew to do this". 

As for the rest of the interview, he is pretty steadfast in his belief everybody hates him personally, when in fact there are a small minority of people who hate everything gnr do these days... the rest of us criticize and talk positively, it's quite balanced! Sometimes that balance tips like right now when we've been told new music 6 months from now... and then nothing.

I get that covid isn't ideal for releasing music, and I get that the gnr album in many people's eyes (band, label etc) are expecting this to be a much bigger success than CD commercially - right the ship in a sense. If they want to wait  so be it! I think they are missing an opportunity, and yeah pressing plants are closed in some areas but the idea of dropping a single or snippets video teasing the album does not need physical product.... and let's say they want to make a physical release of a single, that can be released at a later date and the same "core" fans are going to buy it.

Finally, I got a laugh out of Fernando talking about the vmas, "the rehearsal sound was great, whoever did the live performance messed it up" ...the sound was good, your boy was off his game. If he had just said "yeah that sss a missed opportunity, Axl wasn't happy with that one" I would have had so much more respect for him... just seems every time there's anything remotely negative he freezes. I know it's managements job to talk up the artist, but this is a little bit crazy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

I doubt Axl will completely re-record vocals. At most, I expect a lot of the instrumental parts to be re-recorded by the current lineup. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep some contributions of past members too. It will probably be like 2008 CD all over again, old songs, with performances by most everyone who worked on it, including former members. Casual fans will not be able to tell any difference. Many people bought CD thinking Slash was still in the band. Haha

I will be happy if they keep some of Brain, Robin, and Buckethead.

The ideas might remain, but the playing will almost definitely be replaced. 

Remember what we heard on those leaks are demos. As in - not a finished state, close in some cases, not close in others. 

3 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

And are we really comparing GNR to Kiss now??? Kiss, a band with TWENTY FOUR studio albums??? Jesus, give it a rest please

I see a lot of similarities, but none with respect to music.  

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

How excited  can the listener get when the fucking singer can't be arsed to sing?

Personally, I don’t agree with this. While Hard School COULD work with this lineup (we dont know if it fucking does because they refuse to perform it, and all signs point to it doesn't work because if it did, in the words of Fernando ‘it would have already happened’) but if you look at that first Rough Mixes CD that was finalized in October 2000, the supposed 1st ‘final’ cut of Chinese, there are some songs on there that could totally work with the new band. 

i think Atlas Shrugged is the clear cut example. Maybe not the 8-bit intro, but again that can all be re-worked in a studio. Give it some classic GNR Dizzy fuckin Reed piano and the riff thats on that song is a SLASH riff! Do you not hear Slash playing that in a live setting running up and down the stage? He can make it chunkier though... if he were to get in the studio and do it. Re-write the solo during the first chorus. I hear Duffs bass chunk all over that track as well. The solo is all slash, and I gauren damn tee slash can write a better solo/outro solo then whats there.  

‘Perhaps’ can also work as well. I feel like this song feels the most ‘UYI’ like on this rough mix. That piano is clearly GNR. And its catchy as fuck. Maybe draw out the intro? Re-write the guitar parts for Slash/4tus. The lyrics are also quite memeable in the GNR community.. “theres no excuse for my behavior...” (looking at you Munuchin) Axl wont be able to sing the chorus live, but he can sing the zinger parts while duff and melissa give us the “ALLL ALONEEEEE”s. The could re-write the solo into the bridge to make it a bigger song, and it would be like November Rain pt. 2 to the casuals...

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

he is pretty steadfast in his belief everybody hates him personally, when in fact there are a small minority of people who hate everything gnr do these days... the rest of us criticize and talk positively, it's quite balanced! Sometimes that balance tip

This is a great point and one that I've tried many times, obviously failing, to reinforce with TB.  

Five percent of online posters stick around online only to shit on literally everything.  Why anyone would waste their time by devoting a tremendous amount of time to hate on something as trivial as an 80s hard rock band online is beyond me.  Thankfully those middle aged guys have their own safe space to vomit as much hate and nonsense as they may please.  

The rest of us, 95 percent of the fanbase, want GNR to succeed.  We want something to support.  But unfortunately the fanbase's response is always seen through a black and white lens by GNR management rather than in shades of grey.  The ugliness of the GNR fan community unfortunately gets most of the notice.  In that sense I understand the hostile relationship to an extent. 

But it is unfair for those who just want something to support to be lumped into the small minority of I guess former fans who delight and revel in band's failures.  

• Like 4

I dont understand some of you comparing a new Axl and Slash release to new stuff by the Stones or Pearl Jam or whoever.

I get the frustration, I myself become VERY frustated by the lack of new material.

But come on! Whatever may be left of hard rock fans are waiting for Axl and Slash’s new music. THEY CANT FAIL.

The Stones surely wrote that tune in 3 minutes and its a good song, but they dont need to surpass any expectation. Their carreer already did that.

GnR has a limited catalogue, and now that Axl and Slash are together again they must try their best to release something not forgettable.

I get the need of time on THIS PARTICULAR ALBUM.

I hope they get something like Maiden when Bruce came back and they killed it with Brave New World. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, downzy said:

This is a great point and one that I've tried many times, obviously failing, to reinforce with TB.  

There is 5 percent of online posters that sticks around online only to shit on literally everything.  Why anyone would waste their time by devoting a tremendous amount of time to hate on something as trivial as an 80s hard rock band online is beyond me.  Thankfully those middle aged guys have their own safe space to vomit as much hate and nonsense as they may please.  

The rest of us, 95 percent of the fanbase, want GNR to succeed.  We want something to support.  But unfortunately the fanbase's response is always seen through a black and white lens by GNR management rather than in shades of grey.  The ugliness of the GNR fan community unfortunately gets most of the notice.  In that sense I understand the hostile relationship to an extent. 

But it is unfair for those who just want something to support to be lumped into the small minority of I guess former fans who delight and revel in band's failures.  

This is true in many fan communities. The few always have the louder voice. Granted things differ on what they vocalize, some of it brought upon themselves. 

This full or non support stance isn’t surprising when you consider this is the same artist who released Get in the Ring 

4 minutes ago, Axlr0s37 said:

Meanwhile Twenty One Pilots have said the current situation has pushed new music forward. They are using this opportunity to work on new music. 

No one is saying guns aren't working on new music atm.

Axl's been working for decades at this point on some of his songs.