Fernando now claiming COVID “prevented Guns from releasing new material”

1 hour ago, guitarpatch said:

It’s not that simple. They get an advance on what they sell or now stream.  Generally the longer you’re under contract, the higher that number gets for each album. It’s all pre determined in the contract. That of course can be renegotiated 

It’s up to both the band and the label to determine what maximizes their odds of not only recouping that cost but to maximize its revenue. Other artists have released stuff during this time. However that doesn’t mean there’s the same risk involved, or that they view a Guns album in the same light on how it would perform comparatively 

It's not simple and it's not the old formulas for what works today.  $100,000 back in the 80's is not what it is today.

I didn't read what Fernando said but if he said Covid prevented GNR from releasing new material, I'm reading into that GNR had new material to release.  So the only thing for us to do at this point is hope somebody fucks up and it leaks.  I mean, I'll wait for it to be released. :lol:

On 5/18/2020 at 11:40 AM, soon said:

Oddly it didn’t prevent them from playing Mexico.

I mean, the pandemic could have prevented the planned rollout for new music? Did he get any more specific then that?

Yeah, and Ghost played Mexico too. Meanwhile, Mexico is suffereing badly with so many people getting sick and dying from the virus.

I was surprised that GNR and Ghost played such a huge concert? By then China had the virus and it was spreading all over Asia and Europe.

Who knows how many people got sick at these shows?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, cineater said:

It's not simple and it's not the old formulas for what works today.  $100,000 back in the 80's is not what it is today.

I didn't read what Fernando said but if he said Covid prevented GNR from releasing new material, I'm reading into that GNR had new material to release.  So the only thing for us to do at this point is hope somebody fucks up and it leaks.  I mean, I'll wait for it to be released. :lol:

I think it’s also safe to say in the GNR universe that until the album is handed into the label and accepted for release, there’s no imminent chance of it happening. Moods/deadlines/plans all seem to change with the wind 

Edited by guitarpatch

Having the huge fanbase they have, GN'R shouldn't need a deal with any  external label. Any decent management would find a way to make a lot more profit as an independent label and having a more direct approach to the fanbase relationship. 

I mean, they could even record a whole album being each band member in his home studio, then mix it and release it. It really isn't hard at all.

There is no way any money issue is stopping them from working on new music. Lady Gaga just released her new album, and she probably is making more money that she would without COVID (considering the high rates of music streaming during lockdown). 

GN'R is just so far from being a real band that I have lost all hope. Guess I'll just keep waiting for the next batch of leaks.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BreakDown2014 said:

Having the huge fanbase they have, GN'R shouldn't need a deal with any  external label. Any decent management would find a way to make a lot more profit as an independent label and having a more direct approach to the fanbase relationship. 

I mean, they could even record a whole album being each band member in his home studio, then mix it and release it. It really isn't hard at all.

There is no way any money issue is stopping them from working on new music. Lady Gaga just released her new album, and she probably is making more money that she would without COVID (considering the high rates of music streaming during lockdown). 

GN'R is just so far from being a real band that I have lost all hope. Guess I'll just keep waiting for the next batch of leaks.

They don’t need a major label. However they are still under contract with one. No manager or lawyer can get you out of that. They have to fulfill their deal by releasing albums to end it 

Edited by guitarpatch

4 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Seriously? Mojo posts to himself on the Nightrain forum too?!

I remember I registered for MSL's site back in 2014 or so and made the mildest criticism imaginable of someone else's post and at least two other users viciously attacked me like I had insulted one of their family members. I thought it was weird and never posted there again. It was only recently I learned it was all the same person, it all makes so much sense now.:lol:

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, guitarpatch said:

I think it’s also safe to say in the GNR universe that until the album is handed into the label and accepted for release, there’s no imminent chance of it happening. Moods/deadlines/plans all seem to change with the wind 

Accepted for release being the operative phrase.  Although with it featuring Slash and Duff, I think the label will be a little more cooperative this time around. 

It does no one no good to have the wind at your back when someone else keeps moving the finish line.

It is obviously fake though. ''The Rock is Back'', I doubt any publications based in the US would type out something like that. There's also weird capitalizations and poor English all over the post. ''@gunsnroses releases next Friday Their new album ''Not in This Lifetime''.

The whole thing reads like a scam e-mail.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

It is obviously fake though. ''The Rock is Back'', I doubt any publications based in the US would type out something like that. There's also weird capitalizations and poor English all over the post. ''@gunsnroses releases next Friday Their new album ''Not in This Lifetime''.

The whole thing reads like a scam e-mail.

They should really just release something that we could get rid off these shitty fakes...

1 hour ago, Blue Phoenix said:

Did anyone see this though??

https://flic.kr/p/2j7aXBv

I actually found this on a Queen fan forum, so they didn’t bat an eyelid at the GNR bit. Apparently it’s been deleted now.

Capture.png

Since when Rolling Stone uses "his" instead of "its" to refer to albums?

Faker/Hacker could at least check his grammar with a native before making it.

On 22/05/2020 at 9:51 AM, El Guapo said:

The most logical explanation would be that sober Slash still hasn't found a way to "get in the zone" on stage like drunken Slash. 

Slash was pretty much in the zone when i saw him in 2015 with smkc.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 1

I don't understand why people think the narrative of "theres no way they could release an album during a pandemic.." is real!!! its been happening with major artists since March 13th!! In the pop world Gaga just dropped. In the rap world Future and Lil Yatchy just dropped. In the rock world Def Leppard released a live album.

I think the main problem with a new GNR album is promotion. As we've seen lately, especially during this pandemic, GNR's management/social media just isn't vocal when they aren't under pressure. It's easy to mask it when on tour, or promoting one of their new merch cash grabs, but even those they don't promote twice or at all. And to promote ANY sort of new music, you need out reach, collaborations, P.R.O.M.O.T.I.O.N.

You know how easy it would be to give us "somethings coming...." on twitter with a late June/Early July release date with some vague art work???? By then, hopefully our world will have some semblance of normality. Music videos could be created.. you don't even need the band to be in them, but it would be nice to see! Spotify/Apple Music/Pandora PROMOTION. Constant reminders of whats coming on Twitter/Facebook/Youtube... Interactive ways of promotion and ways to get people involved. New merch that goes in line with the new MUSIC. Giveaways. Vinyl. The works.. 

WE NEED N-E-W. 

None of these things Team Brazil or any of the rest of the Management seem like they could do efficiently or at all.  

Like the Tower Records thing in 2016... That was fucking BRILLIANT and yet it all started dying down after that, and you have what we have now. 

We need a single or something this year. This is the year of havoc. Chaos. uncertainty. This is everything GNR stands for and has been associated with in the past, and yet here they are supposedly with some new music, but yet are sitting on their own hands?? WHY? All the while Axl wants to pick fights with the current administration, what better way than with ART? WORDS? 

Edited by KeyserSoze
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

These riots going on in major cities aren't going to do much to get the band to release new music, either.

Why sell your new album at Target when the store's going to get looted and burned to the ground?

Im not going to make this thread another political argument disaster like the Merch thread, but you might want to fact check yourself:

https://qz.com/1203654/best-buy-and-target-put-the-nail-in-the-coffin-for-music-cds/

If anything, I’d hope these riots would put a fire (quite literally) under the bands ass TO release something... i dont understand your argument at all

EDIT: also, all ‘big box’ stores like Target, Walmart, BestBuy etc buy in bulk. When those CD’s are bought from the distributor, they count as a sale. This historically inflated many artists sales in the 90’s and early 2000’s because ‘big boxes’ would sell, then put in an order for another pallet. That could be 10,000 CD’s sold to a big box in the blink of an eye if the Demand was there for it.. that all changed when streaming and the IPod took over. 

Edited by KeyserSoze
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

ah yes. Blink 182. A band who has reunited.. put out an album. Broken up. Gotten new members. Then put out 2 more albums.

all since 2011.

Their new album is awful. If GNR was about to release album that bad, I wouldn’t even like to hear it

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sl4yer said:

Their new album is awful. If GNR was about to release album that bad, I wouldn’t even like to hear it

Listen, I understand your criticism. I personally almost walked out of a Blink 182 show in 2017. And the only reason I went was because I saw them in 2011 and it was one of the best shows of my life.

put taste aside here and the reason I even posted it was to show big name artists are in fact still releasing or plan to release music during this pandemic. Even after they’ve given us 3 albums in the last decade alone, as shitty as they are.

Also, I think work-rate applies in this situation. Blink 182 were able to do way more than what GNR has done since 2000, and they were broken up/disbanded for 1/4th of that time..

Edited by KeyserSoze

10 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

I don't understand why people think the narrative of "theres no way they could release an album during a pandemic.." is real!!! its been happening with major artists since March 13th!! In the pop world Gaga just dropped. In the rap world Future and Lil Yatchy just dropped. In the rock world Def Leppard released a live album.

I think the main problem with a new GNR album is promotion. As we've seen lately, especially during this pandemic, GNR's management/social media just isn't vocal when they aren't under pressure. It's easy to mask it when on tour, or promoting one of their new merch cash grabs, but even those they don't promote twice or at all. And to promote ANY sort of new music, you need out reach, collaborations, P.R.O.M.O.T.I.O.N.

You know how easy it would be to give us "somethings coming...." on twitter with a late June/Early July release date with some vague art work???? By then, hopefully our world will have some semblance of normality. Music videos could be created.. you don't even need the band to be in them, but it would be nice to see! Spotify/Apple Music/Pandora PROMOTION. Constant reminders of whats coming on Twitter/Facebook/Youtube... Interactive ways of promotion and ways to get people involved. New merch that goes in line with the new MUSIC. Giveaways. Vinyl. The works.. 

WE NEED N-E-W. 

None of these things Team Brazil or any of the rest of the Management seem like they could do efficiently or at all.  

Like the Tower Records thing in 2016... That was fucking BRILLIANT and yet it all started dying down after that, and you have what we have now. 

We need a single or something this year. This is the year of havoc. Chaos. uncertainty. This is everything GNR stands for and has been associated with in the past, and yet here they are supposedly with some new music, but yet are sitting on their own hands?? WHY? All the while Axl wants to pick fights with the current administration, what better way than with ART? WORDS? 

Absolutely. Promotion is totally different now. You don't necessarily need a tour. 

They can do all kinds of teasers on Social media. Start off with a music video then bam release the fucker. Now is the perfect time! Last month was the perfect time! 

• Thanks 1