Fernando now claiming COVID “prevented Guns from releasing new material”

7 minutes ago, Towelie said:

How is anyone other than Axl responsible for GNR having released one album in the last quarter of a century?

What's Fernando meant to do? Hold a gun to his head and force him to record/release new music?

I was literally talking about "promo things" that can be done online, not releasing new records. 

Interview made me think, more than ever, that there really is no new music anywhere near getting released. 

Also, let's face it, it would make Fernando's life a whole lot easier if there was. He's as in the dark and frustrated by the state of play as the rest of us it seems. 

When touring resumes we might get Hardschool played live. That's probably the extent of it. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

People seem to foegret that even Hard School itself is a two decade old song. Until I see evidence that this current lineup has written and recorded something, anything, new together, I won't believe a new album is even on the agenda.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EricA said:

In terms of recording and releasing new music, you and others are completely right, for this it needs Axl and the whole band to come out of their caves.

I much more refered to his never ending unprofessional promises.

Like the recent one, to upload video stuff ...there's no need for the band to do it.

It's only on him to get things done, with what ever company they are working with, to finsh the material.

Don't promis shit, not even talk about it, if you've nothing on your hands, just DO it, and then get out a proper announcment.

Maybe Fernando's mum shouldn’t have given Axl an ultimatum to let her and her family be managers of the band or she would stop working with him - they knew what Axl was like way before taking over that job. 

He should find himself another job if he’s so upset about the criticism of his merch ideas (that he came here to brag about being in charge of not so long ago) and he’s as frustrated by it all as we are.

I can’t feel in any way sorry for poor Fernando - he gets a hard time because he deserves it. His latest pity party “interview” with fans is laughable. 

(and no, I don’t think he has anything to do with new music and 100% think that’s on Axl) 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

7 hours ago, Towelie said:

Add to that, there was absolutely no indication that an album was on the horizon before Covid-19 hit. Why on earth would they be spending the majority of 2020 doing NITL shows if they had a new album to tour? Bands and music artists call their tours after the albums they are promoting. The fact that Guns were still billing this as NITL, is a strong indication if any were needed, that no new album was going to be released in 2020.

You don't release an album in the middle of a nostalgia hits tour, finish the nostalgia tour and then announce a tour for the new album. Makes no sense.

Spot on, i said similar thing when GNR announced in 2019 this 2020 tour.

2 minutes ago, Ratam said:

Spot on, i said similar thing when GNR announced in 2019 this 2020 tour.

People will be quick to say "oh but the NITL is finished now, this was different" but we've seen absolutely zero evidence this is the case. Both shows this year have had the same setlist, with no indication it was to change in any meaningful way. 

There's no evidence anywhere to suggest this was anything other than a continuation of the same tour. And with ticket sales struggling, if you've got the (potential) boost of a few more ticket sales based on new material....why on earth wouldn't you play that card to drive those sales when it was most needed? 

The 2020 tour announcement for me was the clearest indication we ever had that there was nothing new being seriously considered in any way. 

• Like 2

At the end of the day, the whole reason Axl propped up Fernando to the position of "manager" is so he *wouldn't* have to do things like put out music or interface with the fanbase.  It really is Axl's mania that prevents them from operating like any other band. 

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

People will be quick to say "oh but the NITL is finished now, this was different" but we've seen absolutely zero evidence this is the case. Both shows this year have had the same setlist, with no indication it was to change in any meaningful way. 

There's no evidence anywhere to suggest this was anything other than a continuation of the same tour. And with ticket sales struggling, if you've got the (potential) boost of a few more ticket sales based on new material....why on earth wouldn't you play that card to drive those sales when it was most needed? 

The 2020 tour announcement for me was the clearest indication we ever had that there was nothing new being seriously considered in any way. 

Indeed, with it announce in 2019 was clear that not new album in 2020. Isn't exist band that non-stop tour.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Towelie said:

People seem to foegret that even Hard School itself is a two decade old song. Until I see evidence that this current lineup has written and recorded something, anything, new together, I won't believe a new album is even on the agenda.

True, you might think that with duff and slash back in the fold, they’d like to release something they created on their own as their first single, right?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

At the end of the day, the whole reason Axl propped up Fernando to the position of "manager" is so he *wouldn't* have to do things like put out music or interface with the fanbase.  It really is Axl's mania that prevents them from operating like any other band. 

That’s pretty much what he did before they took over 

I think it’s more of if that’s what is really happening here, then GNR doesn’t need those other types of managers. Especially ones that are looking to prop their other endeavors from their experience/connections from working with the band. TB isn’t going anywhere and they don’t need any special elite skills to navigate this. It runs the way Axl wants 

Edited by guitarpatch

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

In this new album id place bets that Hardschool will be on it as a track regardless of its initial age bc general public would know no different. Maybe we'd even get Atlas on the album

1 minute ago, Joraz said:

In this new album id place bets that Hardschool will be on it as a track regardless of its initial age bc general public would know no different. Maybe we'd even get Atlas on the album

Either way, its new music. But it also proves that maybe the band hasn’t been writing compared to what we’ve been told or led to believe  

3 minutes ago, Joraz said:

I personally wouldn’t mind if Hard School and those songs were included. However only if they’ve been re recorded from the ground up with new vocals. 

Pasted over parts on top of something done in the late 90’s/early 2000’s? Lame

Edited by guitarpatch

I honestly don't mind restructred "old" songs as long as they are recorded by the current line-up to maintain a cohesiveness that was lacking with the "cut and paste" of Chinese Democracy. It worked out well for Van Halen. A Different Kind Of Truth was almost entirely stuff from the vault that was given a fresh coat of paint and the result was great. I still say the best approach to a new album would be the five best songs from the CD leftovers, all re-recorded by the current line-up, and then five brand new songs. The big three literally only have to write an EPs worth of material in that case. Tour it, then do it again. Axl finally slowly gets the rest of the CD stuff out there and we still get fresh songs from the big three.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

11 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I don't think anyone has even mentioned KISS on this page. :lol:

I may have gotten my threads mixed up this early in this morning. Could have sworn someone was saying we shouldn’t be rehashing the old band and GNR should be like Kiss and not even acknowledge their history.. it was probably in the “making videos available” thread

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

From the soundcheck Slash and Duff have completely reworked Hardschool, no reason they couldn't do that with the rest of what Axl has. Axl doesn't have to write any new lyrics for there to be a new album.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

From the soundcheck Slash and Duff have completely reworked Hardschool, no reason they couldn't do that with the rest of what Axl has. Axl doesn't have to write any new lyrics for there to be a new album.

Do we really wanna add that caveat to the GN'R catalogue? The last 26 years of the band came an overproduced album the record label wouldn't release, and then a rerecording by the reunion lineup of songs rejected for said album? If that's how all of this shakes out, I'll be slightly disappointed; the album would have to be great. In the same way I've already heard shadow of your love, I don't need to hear another version of hardschool really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Yes and no.

While it's pretty clear no album was planned for a rollout the soundcheck of hardschool (plus a bunch of 'new' UYI songs) showed there was clear movement in what would be coming for these tours.

So I'd say the truth of how the tour would've turned out is in between these two views.

4 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

In the same way I've already heard shadow of your love, I don't need to hear another version of hardschool really.

I don't think that really flies as a gripe imo.

Hardschool is only available as a half finished demo.

No reason why it couldn't be on a totally new studio record.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sofine11 said:

I've been a pretty big outspoken critic of TB, but I agree, they can't physically force Axl to release music, videos, concerts, etc. And when it's him who ultimately has to sign on the dotted line, there's only so much his handlers can do.

Agreed... and even then you never know what Axl’s post-release reaction will be (e.g. apparently livid that the A4D bd ever saw the light of day). I wouldn’t ever pretend that TB has an easy job with all this.

Fortunately, I’m in the camp (tiny I would assume) that is completely at peace with the idea that an artist has the 1000% right to release/not release what he/she wants though. So lack of new music has never bothered me (i.e. completely avoided last round of leaks).

22 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

I don't think that really flies as a gripe imo.

Hardschool is only available as a half finished demo.

No reason why it couldn't be on a totally new studio record.

I'm just saying, think of the GN'R catalogue, if they did that and it's their final album

Appetite

Lies

UYI I & II

Tokyo show

TSI - cover album

Live era - rerecorded live album

Chinese Democracy

Essentially Chinese Democracy II

Just doesn't feel right to me. I'd rather have a total collaboration. Do you think Duff and Slash, who already seem not heavily invested in the band, want the final part of their involvement with GN'R be a rerecording of 20 year old songs written by other people? Seems like even more wasted time unless the album is the best hard rock album of the year

• Like 1