Music to fill the GNR void

I think it goes without saying that we all love GNR's music, or else why would we be here? But with there being no sign of new music on the horizon and wanting to listen to more than just the same GNR albums, what music would you recommend for filling the void of that kickass aggressive GNR sound? I'm open to music with and without members of the GNR lineups.

25 minutes ago, WayTooManyOstriches said:

I think it goes without saying that we all love GNR's music, or else why would we be here? But with there being no sign of new music on the horizon and wanting to listen to more than just the same GNR albums, what music would you recommend for filling the void of that kickass aggressive GNR sound? I'm open to music with and without members of the GNR lineups.

There's nothing that quite sounds like GN'R of course but it depends on what you're looking for. 

If you're looking for AFD sounding clones, there's tons and tons of them. If you're looking for far deeper musical sounds like they started to explore on UYI, there's a ton of that too. Just depends on what you're looking for..

• Like 1

There is a recent trend in the gnr family tree to release songs that update the public on the current state of rock n roll. So in addition to rockin, one learns about rocking... so meta. I’d start there,

dizzy - rock n roll ain’t easy

gilby - rock n roll is getting louder

(but in all seriousness I really enjoy both tracks :headbang:)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

There's nothing that quite sounds like GN'R of course but it depends on what you're looking for. 

If you're looking for AFD sounding clones, there's tons and tons of them. If you're looking for far deeper musical sounds like they started to explore on UYI, there's a ton of that too. Just depends on what you're looking for..

There's a fuckin' version of Brown Sugar in The What Are You Listening To thread that pisses all over Guns n Roses Rusty ol' buddy ol' pal, you should check it out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always thought that Speed Of Light from Iron Maiden's last album had a bit of a Guns vibe and the riff definitely has that aggression (as the Adrian penned tunes usually do). Killer tune!

As an aside - I've always been a casual Maiden fan but I've completely rediscovered them lately after reading Bruce's book. What a much better band to follow than Gun$ N' Ro$e$. :lol:

• Like 3

I’d recommend just listening to all the tangential stuff that each member of GnR has done over the years. Snakepit, VR, SMKC, Buckethead (unlimited), Izzy (lots of good solo stuff), etc.

Outside of that, id say the stuff that “feels” the most like GnR to me is all the 90s bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc. Some people may disagree with me there, but to each their own!

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I'm fine with any kind of sound and recommendations, though I'll admit I probably like the heavier AFDish sound a little more.  A little while back someone told me Dr. Feelgood is Motley Crue's AFD, so I got that and enjoyed it, which led me working through all of their discography except for Too Fast For Love which I just couldn't get since Amazon+iTunes don't have it for download and shipping the CD was listed as being delayed for a long time due to Corona. 

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'll be looking into more of Dirty Honey's stuff.  Reignwolf wasn't bad but I probably favor Dirty Honey more.

1 hour ago, Stiff Competition said:

Junkyard is a good late 80s/early 90s sleazy LA band that doest get a lot of attention. You've probably seen Axl wearing their shirt a couple times back in the day.

I'll be looking into them too.

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

I always thought that Speed Of Light from Iron Maiden's last album had a bit of a Guns vibe and the riff definitely has that aggression (as the Adrian penned tunes usually do). Killer tune!

As an aside - I've always been a casual Maiden fan but I've completely rediscovered them lately after reading Bruce's book. What a much better band to follow than Gun$ N' Ro$e$. :lol:

I may need to give Maiden another try.  I have Somewhere Back In Time and listened to it once.  It wasn't bad, but it didn't wow me.  I could have just not been in the mood at the time though, so maybe it's time to revisit.  Are their greatest hits really their greatest stuff or are their deep cuts far better?

48 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I’d recommend just listening to all the tangential stuff that each member of GnR has done over the years. Snakepit, VR, SMKC, Buckethead (unlimited), Izzy (lots of good solo stuff), etc.

Outside of that, id say the stuff that “feels” the most like GnR to me is all the 90s bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc. Some people may disagree with me there, but to each their own!

I'll be revisiting the member's stuff.  Recently I listened to Contraband for the first time in years and still enjoyed it.  The first SMKC album I really liked (Apocalyptice Love I think?.  The second one...eh...we'll see how that third one is.  I still have to listen to his 2010 album which I have the regular version of.  It's absolutely obscene just how many versions of that there are with different tracklists.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WayTooManyOstriches said:

I may need to give Maiden another try.  I have Somewhere Back In Time and listened to it once.  It wasn't bad, but it didn't wow me.  I could have just not been in the mood at the time though, so maybe it's time to revisit.  Are their greatest hits really their greatest stuff or are their deep cuts far better?

It's funny you mention that album in particularly because I'm not sure that it's the best representation of their sound despite some standout tracks. The hits are definitely a good place to start, but they've got some of the best deep cuts of any band.

For albums, I'd start with Piece Of Mind - the first with the "classic" line-up and kickass from start to finish. The Number Of The Beast is also a good starting point but personally I think Piece Of Mind is superior. That said, Powerslave is my favourite album and objectively speaking I think Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is their best written album.

• Like 1

I'm listening to lots of L.A. Guns, Buckethead, Nine Inch Nails and other bands with former or current GN'R members to fill the void

Tracii:

Slash:

Bucket:

Robin Finck:

Chris:

Bumble:

• Like 1

Normal, Abnormal and Little Brother Is Watching are the last albums by Bumblefoot, very GnR influenced. Argentina and I Don't Know Who To Pray To Anymore were supposed to be GnR songs and have the Use Your Illusion vibe all over them.

Alter Bridge, Halestorm, Scorpions, W.A.S.P., Dream Theater, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden are my current go to bands, but GNR, Rainbow, Whitesnake, Avantasia, Black Sabbath and a few others are in the general rotation which come up frequently. I just try to keep a bit of everything at all times but lately Dream Theater has been the most frequent.

On 20/05/2020 at 6:20 AM, WayTooManyOstriches said:

I'm fine with any kind of sound and recommendations, though I'll admit I probably like the heavier AFDish sound a little more.  A little while back someone told me Dr. Feelgood is Motley Crue's AFD, so I got that and enjoyed it, which led me working through all of their discography except for Too Fast For Love which I just couldn't get since Amazon+iTunes don't have it for download and shipping the CD was listed as being delayed for a long time due to Corona. 

I'll be looking into more of Dirty Honey's stuff.  Reignwolf wasn't bad but I probably favor Dirty Honey more.

I'll be looking into them too.

I'll be revisiting the member's stuff.  Recently I listened to Contraband for the first time in years and still enjoyed it.  The first SMKC album I really liked (Apocalyptice Love I think?.  The second one...eh...we'll see how that third one is.  I still have to listen to his 2010 album which I have the regular version of.  It's absolutely obscene just how many versions of that there are with different tracklists.

Dirty Honey are one of the best new rock bands that have that early 90s LA rock sound. Really looking forward to their album whenever that may be. Buy their EP its worth it.

If your interested i would also go

Let it scream - the scream

New York Dolls first album

Black Coffee

Black Crowes first and second album

Faith No More - the real thing

slave to the grind- skid row

Ozzy Osbourne blizzard of oz

RATT - out of the cellar

In terms of maiden i would go live after death each and every time.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

On 19-5-2020 at 10:44 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I was listening to a cd from GNR from 1990. Not sure where it was recorded, but it was live. Heard "Right next door to hell live" Pretty damn good.

you mean the live broadcast album, with that blue cover?

yeah, it's great