Why is everything so top secret with Guns?

I understand wanting private lives to be off limit but why the plans of the group?  Is it just that there is nothing to say as Guns is not a creative bunch of people anymore?

There is so much negativity on here that blasts one in the face when first joining (not a criticism as I have only been around a few months and not had to experience constant disappointments) I wonder if we all started being positive and discussing what they have done that was good it would make any difference, lthough I imagine this would only be interesting to new folk.  tJust trying to think of something that would get Axl's juices going again but I doubt fans are significant enough to be of help which I understand.  Maybe the only fans they are interested in are non-verbal.   I suppose, at the end of the day, we have to accept the situation however frustrating and sad this is.  It seems they may just be a band from the past.  I  listened to Appetite a few months ago and was blown away and so couldnt wait to hear more stuff from there, I didnt know the situation back then!

Just meandering thoughts.

Edited by DurhamGirl
  • Like 3

Just now, DurhamGirl said:

Is it just that there is nothing to say as Guns is not a creative bunch of people anymore?

This.

They'd rather carry on the charade of maintaining an 'enigma' than admit the truth, which is that Axl is washed up creatively and has nothing new to offer. 

It would be bad business to come out and admit that Axl has no interest in moving forward creatively or recording new music. They like to keep people guessing, but anyone with a modicum of sense who has followed this band for the past decade can see that they're all just cashing in their chips!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Towelie said:

This.

They'd rather carry on the charade of maintaining an 'enigma' than admit the truth, which is that Axl is washed up creatively and has nothing new to offer. 

It would be bad business to come out and admit that Axl has no interest in moving forward creatively or recording new music. They like to keep people guessing, but anyone with a modicum of sense who has followed this band for the past decade can see that they're all just cashing in their chips!

or after the shitstorm of what happened with Chinese, Axl chose to go with the safest possible course of action which is not to promise anything and to say as little as possible so as to not expose the brand to potential loss of revenue/even more frustration from fans.

Why would Axl put more pressure on himself, even if he does want to release more music? we know he isn't exactly prolific. Doesn't automatically mean he has lost creativity or isn't interested in moving forward.

my guess is he's just really slow when it comes to moving his ass cause he overthinks what a Gn'R album should be and that created a snowball effect of delays and plans that never materialized.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DurhamGirl said:

I wonder if we all started being positive and discussing what they have done that was good it would make any difference,

How could that make any difference ?

A forum only talking about past and positiv things (aka NIGHTRAIN/HTGTH forum) would'nt change the current overall situation.

Doesn't the fact, that people on here, are critical discussing the actual situation of the band, shows for sure, that there are fans that do care about what's going on?

Edited by EricA
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

58 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

I understand wanting private lives to be off limit but why the plans of the group?  Is it just that there is nothing to say as Guns is not a creative bunch of people anymore?

There is so much negativity on here that blasts one in the face when first joining (not a criticism as I have only been around a few months and not had to experience constant disappointments) I wonder if we all started being positive and discussing what they have done that was good it would make any difference, lthough I imagine this would only be interesting to new folk.  tJust trying to think of something that would get Axl's juices going again but I doubt fans are significant enough to be of help which I understand.  Maybe the only fans they are interested in are non-verbal.   I suppose, at the end of the day, we have to accept the situation however frustrating and sad this is.  It seems they may just be a band from the past.  I  listened to Appetite a few months ago and was blown away and so couldnt wait to hear more stuff from there, I didnt know the situation back then!

GnR at this point is a soulless moneygrabbing company. They occasionally say stuff about new material, but it's bullshit. Every other band can announce concrete things. So please don't believe another "Yeah we totally would have had new music by now if it wasn't for ....". The most recent excuse was covid-19 obviously. Despite every other band being able to release things regardless of it. And even if the stars would allign you'd get a re-worked version of a 20yo song that's inferior to the demo you've already heard. Just put out there as an excuse to continue touring and rake in more money. But that will only happen if both yoyo sales and toy car sales plummet. 

Edited by username
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

or after the shitstorm of what happened with Chinese, Axl chose to go with the safest possible course of action which is not to promise anything and to say as little as possible so as to not expose the brand to potential loss of revenue/even more frustration from fans.

Why would Axl put more pressure on himself, even if he does want to release more music? we know he isn't exactly prolific. Doesn't automatically mean he has lost creativity or isn't interested in moving forward.

my guess is he's just really slow when it comes to moving his ass cause he overthinks what a Gn'R album should be and that created a snowball effect of delays and plans that never materialized.

Yep. I remember slash mentioning in an interview that him and axl work at different speeds. By the time the first snakepit album was done and about to be released axl thought WTF has just happened and had only just cotonned on!!!!.

Considering slash seems to release new music quicker than axl (not getting into quality vs quantity argument) we know who is the holdup of new material.

Considering axl was still happy to tour CD 6 years after its release, new music is not a priority for him. I think the less than positive reviews of CD and less promotion from the record company still burns to this day.

Edited by Sydney Fan

1 hour ago, EricA said:

How could that make any difference ?

A forum only talking about past and positiv things (aka NIGHTRAIN/HTGTH forum) would'nt change the current overall situation.

Doesn't the fact, that people on here, are critical discussing the actual situation of the band, shows for sure, that there are fans that do care about what's going on?

This is true....l

• Like 1

In the end, it's Axl. 

Some had hope that something would change in 2016 with the return of Slash and Duff, but no. 

Seems like they just roll along with it, despite loosing their integrity in the process. It's all about money. They just keep their mouths shut and will leave if the ship goes down again. Sad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Yep. I remember slash mentioning in an interview that him and axl work at different speeds. By the time the first snakepit album was done and about to be released axl thought WTF has just happened and had only just cotonned on!!!!.

Considering slash seems to release new music quicker than axl (not getting into quality vs quantity argument) we know who is the holdup of new material.

Considering axl was still happy to tour CD 6 years after its release, new music is not a priority for him. I think the less than positive reviews of CD and less promotion from the record company still burns to this day.

It’s funny - I don’t recall the reviews of CD being bad at all? Obviously not in the ‘classic/greatest’ level of reviews but strong to good. I don’t recall many duffers. I do think some folk look at the sales and link it to the quality - I don’t think that’s the full story....IMO anyway! 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

There is so much negativity on here that blasts one in the face when first joining (not a criticism as I have only been around a few months and not had to experience constant disappointments)

Big agree. I do think most of it spings from a place of just wanting new content(which is fair).

Imo the secrecy that surrounds Axl and the band srpings from two places

1. From the breakdown of the band when Slash and Duff left in the 90's leding to many not view the band he was then part of as GNR.

2. From the steady stream of leaks that broke out in the run up to the release of Chinese Democracy 

People like to band around the idea that Axl isn't creative despite the fact we know they've got extensive amounts of unreleased songs recorded.

4 hours ago, Towelie said:

This ^ is  a good example of that. 

3 hours ago, EricA said:

I do somewhat agree with this. The most passionate fans will also be the most critical.

However...  the fact that Fernando (the closest thing we have to a link with the current band) openly decries this forum, instead choosing to use Reddit and Discord, should be a bit of a sign.  

Unbelievable as it is- the whole secretive “Willy Wonka/Chocolate Factory”- thing has done more positive (aura) than negative for them IMHO. Sets them apart from other bands and provides a lot of breathing room for whatever craziness needs to go down in order for the Guns machine to get cranked up...

3 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

It’s funny - I don’t recall the reviews of CD being bad at all? Obviously not in the ‘classic/greatest’ level of reviews but strong to good. I don’t recall many duffers. I do think some folk look at the sales and link it to the quality - I don’t think that’s the full story....IMO anyway! 😂

Exactly. Chinese is rated as having “generally favorable reviews” at Metacritic. Actual music critics gave it a decent turn. IMHO the issue was much more casuals looking for another Appetite or Illusions, and the band not really in position to capitalize on the release (i.e. Robin leaving, Axl’s issues w/label around marketing, etc.).

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

It is not the job of the fans to motivate the people to want to be creative... they are supposed to do that for themselves! So no, let's keep things balanced. Positive when there's something positive to discuss and critical when there's something negative to dissect😄

Why the secrecy? Simple, if they say nothing then nobody can say "you said this, but it didn't happen..." if you say and make no promises, you can coast on by!

Why are things that happened in 2001-2014 secret? I have no idea? At some point you should be able to discuss something! I kinda get it that they want the current band to be mysterious, but the last band is done with I see no reason not to discuss it if there's curiosity.

Absolutely this. 

There really isn't anything to discuss that isn't a fuck-up or a let down at the moment. 

We're all longing for something to change or to look forward to....but it isn't happening.

We can say 'well it's great they're still touring' but most people now are seeing that for what it has become- a cash cow that was milked dry at least a year ago, and can't possibly get enthused by the same setlist playing out for another year. 

We're all here, we're still waiting. Time for a change. 

For as much as I criticize Fernando (although I think people realize my posts are satirical most of the time), I can understand the guy is in a pretty tough spot.

Let's pretend Hare School was really ready to go as a single, but they've delayed it due to the pandemic. A functioning band, like The Killers, has kept fans in the loop about the delaying of both the album and ticket sales for the tour until the timing is better.

The problem is if Fernando says "we'll have a kickass new single ready to go when this is all over" and then it doesn't happen, then it opens both him and the band up to more criticism. Both he and Axl don't seem to do well with criticism as evident by past behaviours, so it is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" when it comes to keeping fans updated.

It’s very obvious it is Axl.  He’s the one that took 14 years to release CD.  He’s the one that chose to hide once it was released and not promote it at all.  He’s the one that has allowed 12 more years to roll by since CD was released without anything new.  This is basically his band and he calls the shots.   Even with Slash and Duff back in, he still refused to do any promotion, interviews or release anything new.  I think everyone around him would like to release something.  That is why all band members mention possibilities including team Brazil.  As a result we get our hopes up and think “something soon” is in the works.  In reality, no one really knows what or when anything will happen, unless Axl himself says it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

The reviews here in oz were interesting as they would disect certain tracks but not really say "this is a strong release and statement by Axls new Guns N Roses" or "the album has periods that you could think this album was really worth waiting 10years for ".

They give an opinion on the songs but not an overall opinion of the release on its own, without trying to compare it to afd,lies,illusion.

Edited by Sydney Fan

7 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

You guys are all overreaching with your thoughts. It’s more simple than that, there simply isn’t anything to talk about. There hasn’t been anything to talk about. There’s next to nothing going on. It’s easy to keep secrets when you aren’t hiding anything. People are negative because nothing remotely creative or otherwise happens with this band for decades. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

One album since 1993.  Thats 27 years.  At what point are people going to twig that is safe to assume that there's fuck all going on? :lol:  Then again, there's people out there waiting for Christs return too so what can ya say.

:lol: