Why is everything so top secret with Guns?

Axl Rose, that’s the reason. For many years I thought ‘well, he had a hard time releasing CD maybe he just wants to have fun and tour’ which makes lot of sense. But at this point I don’t know if even slash or duff are having fun. I saw slash last year with the conspirators in Buenos Aires and he seems to enjoy more his own shows than GNR shows. And at this point I don’t see GNR as a band, as a family (like RHCP, or foo fighters). GNR nowadays look like a bunch of people who gather a couple of times a year and play around the world. I might be wrong, but that’s how I see it. 

remember back in 2012 with the Vegas dvd? I remember asking bumblefoot personally what was going on and even he had no idea. Axl controls everything and it’s all on his hands and his own will to release something. 

• Like 1

As I said before, it is as if Guns have been delegated to some disinterested corporate third party. Everything, from the fan site to the social media interaction, is really impersonal and directed towards acquiring money. It is rather hard to describe but you know it when you see it.

I don't think this forum is very negative at all. I think what does seem to be on the rise is posters unwilling to just repeat the same topics without anything new to talk about. I mean it's nearly 12 years since CD came out and it wasn't a bad album in all fairness but there was no follow through at the time. I mean for all his faults perceived or real about axl, the number of albums albeit not massive show that he is ridiculously talented and surely to Christ that can't have vanished completely in the 21st century. 

It is is becoming more difficult to care about the band and I do think the fact most of us say slash, duff, and axl back on stage together may have raised expectations unnaturally. 

21 minutes ago, James Bond said:

The Guns N' Roses social media presence is akin to those targeted ads everyone gets for bootleg t-shirts with badly photoshopped pictures of the artists holding them, only with Guns N' Roses the posts are legit. :lol:

GN'R's social media presence reminds me of this Simpson's joke (''Mr Black''),

Haha.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

GN'R's social media presence reminds me of this Simpson's joke (''Mr Black''),

Haha.

This is perfect .... Especially that last bit "Looks like we got ourselves a trouble maker" (That's all of the unauthorized concert footage posted on YT) .... Unfortunately the joke's on us

On 5/20/2020 at 4:20 PM, DarkLotus1111 said:

Because it's top secret. 

I would love to see a South Park episode revolving the CD vault. Hahaha 

As high profile as Guns N' Roses are and having priceless material found in a storage unit somewhere - I don't believe it's uncommon.

Off the top of my head, the Hank Williams radio program I believe was found by accident, the Who had priceless video recording nearly end up in the trash, the crown jewel of Grateful Dead live records was auctioned off in a storage unit foreclosure - not to mention the Universal Fire that might have destroy priceless recordings.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

They think it's still cool to keep this air of mystery around the band and it's happenings.

Right, I think even Duff mentioned this in an interview when asked about it -  mentioning how back in the day bands had a mystique to them that seemed cool

This difference is, the bands who were mysterious and cool because of that, it was mostly about their personal life they didn't reveal much about - the cool mysterious bands still released material and told people about it :lol:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Right, I think even Duff mentioned this in an interview when asked about it -  mentioning how back in the day bands had a mystique to them that seemed cool

This difference is, the bands who were mysterious and cool because of that, it was mostly about their personal life they didn't reveal much about - the cool mysterious bands still released material and told people about it :lol:

It worked back then but not so much now.

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

It worked back then but not so much now.

Agree it may have worked before the internet now the air of mystique just looks stupid. Now bands are taking advantage of the internet with upto date website, paid membership, streaming and in turn making them more fan friendly. Its called a business model and a word GNR are struggling to put together.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Agree it may have worked before the internet now the air of mystique just looks stupid. Now bands are taking advantage of the internet with upto date website, paid membership, streaming and in turn making them more fan friendly. Its called a business model and a word GNR are struggling to put together.

Out of likes but yes.

14 hours ago, James Bond said:

The Guns N' Roses social media presence is akin to those targeted ads everyone gets for bootleg t-shirts with badly photoshopped pictures of the artists holding them, only with Guns N' Roses the posts are legit. :lol:

I actually bought one of those a few weeks ago. It cost about 12 quid inc postage.

I had low expectations but it's actually really nice.

• GNFNR 1

Because there's nothing going on. The whole "mystique" thing is just a pretense.

Bands display their art because it's what they love to do and are inspired to do so. GN'R is just a corporate machine. Soulless. Greedy. Unimaginative. Dull. 

Many bands still do music videos with no chance of them ever being played on MTV or VH1 or wherever. Beacuse they want to show their art. They communicate with the fanbase, give out interviews, release studio and live work. Some of them even with more than one band at a time.

Bands still release tons of music and CD's despite selling a fraction of they used to. NIN is giving out music for free. Rolling Stones recorded a new song during the covid-19 epidemics after a 50+ year career. Because they're musicians and this is that they do.

So many bands continue to create their art and are eager to give fans something to be excited about. Not because they "owe" them but because they want to. GN'R don't want to do shit. They just want you to pay for memberships, concert tickets and overpriced cringy merchandise. Otherwise you can sod off.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

Because there's nothing going on. The whole "mystique" thing is just a pretense.

Bands display their art because it's what they love to do and are inspired to do so. GN'R is just a corporate machine. Soulless. Greedy. Unimaginative. Dull. 

Many bands still do music videos with no chance of them ever being played on MTV or VH1 or wherever. Beacuse they want to show their art. They communicate with the fanbase, give out interviews, release studio and live work. Some of them even with more than one band at a time.

Bands still release tons of music and CD's despite selling a fraction of they used to. NIN is giving out music for free. Rolling Stones recorded a new song during the covid-19 epidemics after a 50+ year career. Because they're musicians and this is that they do.

So many bands continue to create their art and are eager to give fans something to be excited about. Not because they "owe" them but because they want to. GN'R don't want to do shit. They just want you to pay for memberships, concert tickets and overpriced cringy merchandise. Otherwise you can sod off.

It's Axl's version of Gn'R now though. The way this band operates reflects Axl's preferences imo. Slash, Duff, the rest of the lineup(s) and even TB are not responsible for the lack of releases, the secrecy, and inner circle rules in general imo. It's probably just Axl and the record company for the most part. Tbh, if Axl's goal is not to satisfy us fans but instead to release his music only on his terms, for himself, then that's too bad but I don't believe it's cause he only cares about the money.

Could have reunited years ago if that was true and would have released a lot more music when it still made a lot of money. Forgive Slash real quick in like 1997 or 1998 to preserve your lavish lifestyle at all cost. Problem solved for artists that don't care about quality.

I buy the whole perfectionist thing cause it's the best explanation I can think of for his artistic approach and I really get the feeling he doesn't want to release a dud of a record, no matter what.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

It's Axl's version of Gn'R now though. The way this band operates reflects Axl's preferences imo. Slash, Duff, the rest of the lineup(s) and even TB are not responsible for the lack of releases, the secrecy, and inner circle rules in general imo. It's probably just Axl and the record company for the most part. Tbh, if Axl's goal is not to satisfy us fans but instead to release his music only on his terms, for himself, then that's too bad but I don't believe it's cause he only cares about the money.

Could have reunited years ago if that was true and would have released a lot more music when it still made a lot of money. Forgive Slash real quick in like 1997 or 1998 to preserve your lavish lifestyle at all cost. Problem solved for artists that don't care about quality.

I buy the whole perfectionist thing cause it's the best explanation I can think of for his artistic approach and I really get the feeling he doesn't want to release a dud of a record, no matter what.

People really call him a perfectionist still? Blows my mind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Guapo said:

People really call him a perfectionist still? Blows my mind.

being a perfectionist doesn't mean absolved of responsibility. like the possibility that Axl has that personality trait means it's an excuse for failing to release or that he's this brilliant artist. Those types of people do exist and Axl fits that definition imo.

Maynard from Tool gave a pretty good explanation of why it took that band so long to release a new album. Seems like Tool as a band share similarities with Axl as a musician.

Brian May and Alice Cooper said the same thing about Axl (among others) and they've worked with the guy and have no reason to lie.